Consumer Reports rates the Michelin HX MXM4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009 | 09:04 PM
Advanced

Consumer Reports rates the Michelin HX MXM4

Was surprised to see Consumer Reports score the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 the highest overall score (85) in a test of 11 performance V rated tires (source: page 197 in their "2009 Buying Guide").

Ratings are as follows:
Excellent - wet braking
Very good - dry braking, handling, resistance to hydroplaning, rolling resistance, and tread life
Good - snow traction, ice braking, ride, and noise

This surprised me; at first I thought they were just re-printing information from a very old test.

But recommendation is repeated in their April 2009 annual auto issue on newstands now (see page 21).
Old 03-08-2009 | 09:50 PM
Racer

It just goes to show how many "experts" we have on this forum....

Kidding aside, there is a difference between OEM tires and aftermarket tire of the same brand and name. CR probably tested the aftermarket version. OEM tires tend to be of lesser quality than their aftermarket counterpart of the same name.

If CR is right (which i believe because they have been right on tires before), then i will likely get the same tire when my OEMs wear out.
Old 03-08-2009 | 10:16 PM
Advanced

Just a clarification - I was not trying to come off as an expert, nor am I recommending these tires. I just thought the info might be of interest to the people on this site!
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:03 PM
Advanced

Regarding the following quote from above:
"There is a difference between OEM tires and aftermarket tire of the same brand and name. CR probably tested the aftermarket version. OEM tires tend to be of lesser quality than their aftermarket counterpart of the same name."

This may be getting off topic but:
(1) It would seem to me that it would be counterproductive for Michelin in the long-run to try and save a few bucks now by producing materially inferior tires of the same name for OEM use. An approach like this also doesn't align with their branding strategy.
(2) I would think Michelin would be keen to have a driver replace the OEM tires when they are worn out with the same tire, or a different Michelin tire (assumed: it is cheaper to retain an existing customer than to find a new customer). If a driver thinks their OEM tires are crap, this desired outcome probably won't happen.

Bottom line: I am not convined that OEM tires are always of lesser quality.
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxcisa
Just a clarification - I was not trying to come off as an expert, nor am I recommending these tires. I just thought the info might be of interest to the people on this site!
I was not meaning you....
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnrh
Regarding the following quote from above:
"There is a difference between OEM tires and aftermarket tire of the same brand and name. CR probably tested the aftermarket version. OEM tires tend to be of lesser quality than their aftermarket counterpart of the same name."

This may be getting off topic but:
(1) It would seem to me that it would be counterproductive for Michelin in the long-run to try and save a few bucks now by producing materially inferior tires of the same name for OEM use. An approach like this also doesn't align with their branding strategy.
(2) I would think Michelin would be keen to have a driver replace the OEM tires when they are worn out with the same tire, or a different Michelin tire (assumed: it is cheaper to retain an existing customer than to find a new customer). If a driver thinks their OEM tires are crap, this desired outcome probably won't happen.

Bottom line: I am not convined that OEM tires are always of lesser quality.
You will be surprised...trust me....
Old 03-09-2009 | 01:13 AM
Banned

Car manufacturers get the OEMs at a bulk discount while the retail tires likely represent a much higher profit margin. Car manufacturers probably figure most car buyers could care less about tires when looking at the big picture and would rather do anything to drive the overall cost down while someone who's in a tire shop is probably keenly aware of the tires they had been living with versus the tires they tires they are receiving, and they aren't cheap either. Nice tires are mysteriously expensive. I can't help but believe they are priced how they are too offset losses elsewhere and pad the bottom line. If you follow the money trail it's hard to see how the OEMs could possibly be pulled from the same pile as retail tires.
Old 03-09-2009 | 02:20 AM
Instructor

Not sure what CR was testing and what was in their testing regimen but Tirerack review is pretty appalling.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=25VR7MXM4HXV3
Old 03-09-2009 | 07:18 AM
Racer

I would not trust the CONSUMER reviews totally...big grain of salt!
Old 03-10-2009 | 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

These tires SUCK, would it have killed honda to put Pilot Exalto PE2's on this car?
Old 03-10-2009 | 05:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
Not sure what CR was testing and what was in their testing regimen but Tirerack review is pretty appalling.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=25VR7MXM4HXV3
it is wierd that being rated so poorly by tire rack they are also listed as a best seller.