Coilover Guide Tein SS vs BC Racing vs Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coilover Guide Tein SS vs BC Racing vs Stock

Hi all

I tough i write a quick guide on few different setup i have had on my cu2.

1. stock
Ride is smooths and absorbs bumps very well , for a moment it feels sports orientated as it can be slightly bouncy giving it the sport feel , response is great and handling is great for stock car.
Not being happy with arch and tyre gap i wanted a slight drop so i oped for eibach springs which has improved handling further and drop was nice but not low enough , this setup did not last long in car and it did not change much over stock but slightly added to points above.

2. Bc racing V1 with 10k front and 6k rear springs.

Ride is great absorbs bumps well and comes compete with top mounts , handling is improved over stock / eibach setup by a great amount and these things can go very low but in my experience max drop will be about 3.5" at rear with similar at front.
These were great until few weeks back rears started clunking like crazy , being 5000k max old i tough it was my install so i re-did everything checked end links tightened top mounts nuts etc still no luck.
I was off to my mechanic which rechecked everything and made sure he reinstalled them himself ... drive out of his driveway and clunk , at this stage i was very upset with this set of coilovers . Forgot to mention fronts are silent and no issues only rear.
After trying to lubricate every bolt and bit there was on car and suspension i had enough.

3. Ordered Tein SS

5 days later they were in Australia , initial look at Tein SS much much better build quality and many little itemS that BC did not have .
For example bracket welded on shock for front brake line, little pin guide for shock to be inserted in fork and rear no need for self locking nut like on BC. Tein has this welded to shock like stock , so just by this they already got a big plus in my books.
Tein SS set dampening set to 6 click back from stiffest rides awesome much better than BC it gives it that stock feel but much much better handling , i know Tein will not go as low as Bc or Megan or K sport but quality is where it is at and Tein done their research that all im going to say. (This was very important to me)
Now Tein ss are quiet as stock suspension and perform like coilover should be , im amazed and i know for my next car and any other car i own Tein will be no 1 choice simple as that.

Hope this has helped few of you to make the right decision and head towards a great coilover system instead of your cheaper item which will not last as long and give more trouble in end.

Tein SS might not be lowest coilover but boy are they a great set of coilovers dampers perfectly matched to springs and noise free.

Now let the pics do the talking

Name:  IMG_20120802_103050.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  462.6 KB

Last edited by 08r3308; 08-02-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
is it me i dont see any pic
Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
i see the pics
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Instructor

I c it now my pos computer at work i had tein on my other car ride good like it alot but it not low enough for me and i been hearing alot of bad reviews about them bc good pick
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
i see the similarities with the megan street series and the bc coils whats the price on bc ?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
You might want to clarify in your post that those are the BC v1 and the new BC BR's are much improved, at least that's what I've been hearing.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOLLYHOOD
i see the similarities with the megan street series and the bc coils whats the price on bc ?
Last time i Check i think the bc r around 1200/1300 n megan is 650 i have not hear anything bad about megan tho
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Instructor

V1 have been improved too , as a matter of fact BC has improved all their series across the range.

Megan seem identical but different color , i guess BC is better because of their shocks being rebuild-able i have heard megans are not rebuild-able.

After driving Tein SS i mush say that these are coilovers that perfectly fit to how i want the car to behave on road plus adjust ability is enough for me .

Im sure BC will get it right too they are not too far behing but as in my first post i like the little add on's Tein utilized to make installation breeze and things like brackets welded on shocks are all great bonuses.

All in all im extremely happy about the move and cannot praise Tein enough for providing such a great set of coilovers.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by khoacu2
Last time i Check i think the bc r around 1200/1300 n megan is 650 i have not hear anything bad about megan tho
BC BR's are $995.
The following users liked this post:
khoacu2 (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Keep in mind that the Tein SS are quiet because you are using your stock top hats which have rubber insulators in them. The down side to Teins is that you have to play with preload to set the ride height. On the Megans and BCs, preload is independent and your suspension travel is the same regardless of ride height. One last thing for anyone who's looking at coilovers. Regardless of the brand, you really need to take the time and dial in the proper rebound on the shocks for the ride quality you want. Case in point, the stiffness setting for DD will be harsh and sometimes dangerous as rippled and uneven road surfaces will cause the tires to temporary lose contact. While this is great for the track where it's smooth it's not ideal for the real world. Always start your adjustments at the softest setting and work your way up to the point where you are comfortable with ride quality and handling. You can't defy physics and have OEM comfort and expect to corner on rails.

Last edited by benben01; 08-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by benben01
Keep in mind that the Tein SS are quiet because you are using your stock top hats which have rubber insulators in them. The down side to Teins is that you have to play with preload to set the ride height. On the Megans and BCs, preload is independent and your suspension travel is the same regardless of ride height. One last thing for anyone who's looking at coilovers. Regardless of the brand, you really need to take the time and dial in the proper rebound on the shocks for the ride quality you want. Case in point, the stiffness setting for DD will be harsh and sometimes dangerous as rippled and uneven road surfaces will cause the tires to temporary lose contact. While this is great for the track where it's smooth it's not ideal for the real world. Always start your adjustments at the softest setting and work your way up to the point where you are comfortable with ride quality and handling. You can't defy physics and have OEM comfort and expect to corner on rails.
Using stock top mounts are a guarantee that there will be less noise but in my case it was totally different issue.

Fronts were quiet with top mounts that come with BC and rears were clunking away,well rear right hand side being the noisiest.

Preload was set right, I started from factory setting of 5mm and dialed in 0 and 5,10 km no change noise was there.

I guess I did make a mistake of buying BC in first place but they really are cheap coil over compared to Teins.

After a wheel alignment I do experience handling on rails. I guess each to their own I really like how the car beheives on road.

Oh and playing with preload too much will deffinetley void your warranty as you can top out your damper.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CU2 Air Suspension

Hey guys, I know this is for coilovers but im wanting to purchase air suspension kit from US. I am located in Australia and im wanting to buy the kit and ship it over.

Just wondering if anyone has done it or created the CU2 kit for air suspension?

Another question i had which is ontopic for coilovers is - Can the CL9 Kit fit on a CU2? Is it the same bolting positions etc?

Cheers

Dean
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Instructor

I think I seen k sport does air suspension, they might have a kit for cu2. I'm sure they are different.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 08r3308
Hi all

I tough i write a quick guide on few different setup i have had on my cu2.

1. stock
Ride is smooths and absorbs bumps very well , for a moment it feels sports orientated as it can be slightly bouncy giving it the sport feel , response is great and handling is great for stock car.
Not being happy with arch and tyre gap i wanted a slight drop so i oped for eibach springs which has improved handling further and drop was nice but not low enough , this setup did not last long in car and it did not change much over stock but slightly added to points above.

2. Bc racing V1 with 10k front and 6k rear springs.

Ride is great absorbs bumps well and comes compete with top mounts , handling is improved over stock / eibach setup by a great amount and these things can go very low but in my experience max drop will be about 3.5" at rear with similar at front.
These were great until few weeks back rears started clunking like crazy , being 5000k max old i tough it was my install so i re-did everything checked end links tightened top mounts nuts etc still no luck.
I was off to my mechanic which rechecked everything and made sure he reinstalled them himself ... drive out of his driveway and clunk , at this stage i was very upset with this set of coilovers . Forgot to mention fronts are silent and no issues only rear.
After trying to lubricate every bolt and bit there was on car and suspension i had enough.

3. Ordered Tein SS

5 days later they were in Australia , initial look at Tein SS much much better build quality and many little itemS that BC did not have .
For example bracket welded on shock for front brake line, little pin guide for shock to be inserted in fork and rear no need for self locking nut like on BC. Tein has this welded to shock like stock , so just by this they already got a big plus in my books.
Tein SS set dampening set to 6 click back from stiffest rides awesome much better than BC it gives it that stock feel but much much better handling , i know Tein will not go as low as Bc or Megan or K sport but quality is where it is at and Tein done their research that all im going to say. (This was very important to me)
Now Tein ss are quiet as stock suspension and perform like coilover should be , im amazed and i know for my next car and any other car i own Tein will be no 1 choice simple as that.

Hope this has helped few of you to make the right decision and head towards a great coilover system instead of your cheaper item which will not last as long and give more trouble in end.

Tein SS might not be lowest coilover but boy are they a great set of coilovers dampers perfectly matched to springs and noise free.

Now let the pics do the talking

How is the ride with these coil overs are there any noises? I just ordered a set and have gotten a little apprehensive since I have read in several places, on this forum, that they have a tendency to blow after only 20000 miles. This is not very good quality if this is true.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Instructor

I found BC to be clunky, if you take a look at Subaru forums its worse for those guys.

From memory some people said even D2 was better but it had bad spring rates.

One of major suspension places that was a big distributor of BC actually sent them all stock back and started dealing with different brand, that's a how bad it got.