Coilover advice for 2" + drop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover advice for 2" + drop?

I have a 2013 TSX. I've been looking for the best coilovers to drop about 2"+. I have a 4 finger wheel gap stock height that I'm not fond of. Strictly for aesthetic purposes might I add... I have 18 x 10.5 wheels im dying to put on. The top ones I've seen so far are TIEN SS, and tien FLEX?. But I haven't seen anyone lower it more than 1.5.I'm itching To get coilovers but I'm so unsure which ones will be best for the height I want. I'm also not looking to spend more than. 2GS. Reasonably 1000-1200$
Helppp😩😩😩😩
Old 03-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
You probably should use a full body coilover like Tein Flex Z or street flex or similar to drop a car 2+". But that is going to get pretty complex to set up properly. You could always just YOLO and not go through the trouble of painstakingly taking the involved measurements. Tein also has general guidelines for putting them on. They won't ride all that great...but...again...YOLO. You Only Lumbar Once until you have crippling back problems. Or something.

You can also just use the Tein Street Advance for a 2" drop. IDK how much lower than that they'll go or how well they'll ride. Again, you can YOLO them down as far as they'll go and just accept it.

All joking aside, going low comes with complexity and/or acceptance of diminished ride. There are lots of people who bypass said complexity and just accept that the car doesn't ride well. Or they have a very loose concept of "rides well".

You can also do air ride or something if you're looking to spend some $$.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-07-2017 at 10:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BROlando:
cu2wagon (04-02-2017), justnspace (04-03-2017), Mstsxxx (03-15-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could go with BC Racing Extreme Lows with a Spring Upgrade
Old 04-01-2017, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I literally just finished my install of the new Tein FLEX Z. I'm barely at a finger gap with plenty of low to go. These bad boys were $800.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
The problem I've found with full body adjustable coilovers like the Flex or BC or even my Öhlins is that their total free travel is short as hell, as a result of design type, and as a requirement to safely stop suspension movement via the proper parts.

So there is some math, measuring, and customization involved in PROPERLY setting them up for ride comfort, handling, safety, etc etc.

There are quite a few complaints with Flex Z ride quality in the TL forum. And I worked with a member of that subforum to derive shock travel values to help with his setup. For TL's, it looks like a 2.2" available clear shock stroke...which is pretty dang short. So it seems like everyone is bouncing around off the bumpstop.

But...if you're not in to going that far, and are fine with some degradation of ride quality, then Tein's compromise settings (listed in the manual) will work.

It is important to know that the Flex won't ride as well as it should without some work on the user's end in terms of setup of preloads and spring lengths.