Bouncy Ride on 2010 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bouncy Ride on 2010 TSX

I took delivery on Base 2010 TSX about a month ago. At time of delivery I had dealer swap out Base rims(17") for rims from a V-6. Because rims from V-6 are 18", I put on 18" Michlein's. Now on areas of expressway that are concrete, I have a terrible bouncy effect that is almost unsafe.
Only have 500 miles on car so I haven't been back to dealer for help. It could be that Base model can't handle the 18" Rims/Tires and that's what the upgraded suspension on V-6 does to eliminate this bouncy effect.
Anybody else go up from 17" to 18" on Base and experience this problem?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
im on 18's with tein s tech 1.5" drop. its not bouncy for me. handling is tighter and steering wheel feels firm. i have 09 base
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TSX V6 has beefed up suspension to handle the extra weight of the motor.

My TSX V6 rides great...no bouncy movements on the freeway.

You might want to take a dealer tech person out with you on the freeway to see if the tech feels the same bouncy sensation as you do.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM
9th Gear

Going from 17” to 18” wheels should not matter. I have swapped wheels on my cars for many years and never had any issues like this by just changing the wheels.

More than likely the issue is a bent wheel, misshaped wheel, (as in egg shaped) or the wheel(s) are not balanced correctly. I would start by taking the car to a 3rd party tire place that you trust and have them completely check the wheels. If they find a problem like out of balance wheel(s) they can fix it and you are done. If they find a bad wheel then you can go back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Other issues I have seen like this are bad brake rotor again like the wheel bent or misshaped etc. I have also seen bad shocks, struts, wheel bearings, stabilizers, or the gourmets that house the stabilizers. Don’t think just because this is a new car that it cannot have any of those problems, because I have seen it in new cars many times. You can have the 3rd party tire place check all the above as well, this way if they do find something you know what to tell the dealership service staff.

Good Luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Either someone didn't put the wheels on perfectly aligned with the hub or you have loose lug nuts. The TSX has more of a harsh ride as opposed to being bouncy. Bounce would mean the struts are worn out, and the springs are not being controlled by the struts, which is unlikely the case here.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Maybe you're just not used to driving a car with 18's. I used to have 18's on my old civic and first thing you will notice is that you will feel the road more compared to a lower diameter wheel
Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraTwin
I took delivery on Base 2010 TSX about a month ago. At time of delivery I had dealer swap out Base rims(17") for rims from a V-6. Because rims from V-6 are 18", I put on 18" Michlein's. Now on areas of expressway that are concrete, I have a terrible bouncy effect that is almost unsafe.
Only have 500 miles on car so I haven't been back to dealer for help. It could be that Base model can't handle the 18" Rims/Tires and that's what the upgraded suspension on V-6 does to eliminate this bouncy effect.
Anybody else go up from 17" to 18" on Base and experience this problem?
Went to dealer today and they say nothing wrong with dampers/springs/suspension. Tech did not go on expressway where it's at it's worst. I'm beginning to think that Acura advertises re-calibrated dampers and altered springs on V-6 is not a result of added weight but rather of going from 17's that are on Base to 18's that are on V-6. Tech says that my stock dampers cannot be recalibrated. Can anybody confirm this?? Dealer is going to talk to Acura HQ next week. If I can't resolve 18's are coming off and back to my stock 17's. The loaner Base w/17's didn't bounce when I went over expressway problem area.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

How is the sidewall compared to the original tires? I noticed that the sidewall is very firm for many stock tires in Hondas.
My new Michelins have great traction but a very soft sidewall makes them mushy and bouncy, very bad at entering corners in a sporty manner.
Over inflating may help but not much.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX does ride firm. The higher rated springs a dampers were put on the V6 strictly to account for the additional weight of the V6 so the I4 and V6 sit and ride about the same.

I keep my tire pressure a little higher and notice the can does have a tendency to porpoise on the highway.

Part of the nature of the car.

Certainly softer sidewall tires will help but when you get up into 18's there's not as much sidewall to work with so they tend to be stiffer.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Went to dealer today and they say nothing wrong with dampers/springs/suspension. Tech did not go on expressway where it's at it's worst. I'm beginning to think that Acura advertises re-calibrated dampers and altered springs on V-6 is not a result of added weight but rather of going from 17's that are on Base to 18's that are on V-6. Tech says that my stock dampers cannot be recalibrated. Can anybody confirm this?? Dealer is going to talk to Acura HQ next week. If I can't resolve 18's are coming off and back to my stock 17's. The loaner Base w/17's didn't bounce when I went over expressway problem area.
You should ask for 18inch A-spec rims. they are far lighter than OEM 17 and suitable for 4 cylinder. no need to go back to 17inch.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Dampers are definitely not adjustable. Bouncy is a bit broad....
The recalibrated suspension is absolutely for the added weight of the engine, not for upsized wheels. The 18's may be marginally heavier but not to the point where it should upset your suspension.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by easyman1211
Dampers are definitely not adjustable. Bouncy is a bit broad....
The recalibrated suspension is absolutely for the added weight of the engine, not for upsized wheels. The 18's may be marginally heavier but not to the point where it should upset your suspension.
Maybe oscillating is a better word. But back end bounces up and down and front I notice when headlights on that light moves up and down on road signs. 18" tires are .6" bigger in diameter than 17"'s but I think that's within allowances. Both are Michelin but of course side wall is less on 18"'s which I don't think helps.When I go to parts catalog, 3.5L has different springs on rear than 2.4L, but shock absorbers look to be same. Front has different struts, but I think that is for weight but could effect ride quality. Suspension problems are tricky, but I think I have an oversprung/underdampened (factory Showa shocks are probably on low side of quality)/slightly less sidewall issue. I'm concerned that over oscillating rear end at high speeds is causing me a safety issue with less tire/road grip. 90% of time on smooth road is good, but other 10% on concrete w/expansion joints and dips is bad.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Racer

Did you take it to a tire install place and have them check to see if the wheels are balanced correctly?