advise needed for new wheels for 2012 base TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question advise needed for new wheels for 2012 base TSX

Hello folks,

A few weeks ago i got an expensive lesson in lock nuts, as all four wheels disappeared from my 2012 TSX. I got some temporary cheap rims/tires from nearby 24hr flat tire shop and am now looking for permanent replacements. Being completely new to the process, i would very much appreciate help and advice about selections and how to best handle the transition. I'm usually pretty good at navigating all the technical designations and specifications but feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the options, especially with the tires.

I'm in NYC, drive mostly on the weekends, around 10k miles per year. Looking for more of a practical solution - fuel efficiency, ride conform and low noise over aesthetics. Soft budget limit of $150 per rim and $150 per tire.

Based on my homework up to this point, Enkei rims appear to be a good fit for me - 17x7.5 GT7 or RSF5 look good and fit the budget. One thing I can't figure out is what spec to look for that would indicate that no part of the rim would be sticking out further than the tire - meaning that when parallel parking and getting too close to the curb, the tire rubs along the curb and not the rim - if that makes sense.

Both the Enkei rims ones are pretty narrow and thin - most of the break pads are exposed. Is there any benefit to getting fuller looking rims that cover more of the interior stuff? And if so, can you recommend a make/model of Enkei quality. (I'm reading that Enkei is top of the line, please correct if that is not the case anymore.)

For tires, i figure i'll keep mostly to the base - 225/50R17, with speed rating H or higher and load index of 95 or higher. I know I'll need all-season tires and this is where i get stuck - I'm now seeing designations such as ZR and RF instead of just R and am not sure what to make of it. Same thing for "UTQG" - can you please provide good marks to aim for in this spec? Kind of like the speed rating H or load index of 95 i mentioned earlier.

Looking at tirerack.com, they break down performance categories as follows: ultra-high performance, high performance, grand touring and passenger - i figure i fall under the grand touring category, primarily for the noise levels - does that seem right or am i missing something?

Are run-flat tires worth investing in for somebody in my position?

And regarding tirerack.com - any reason not to go through these guys? Any cautionary tales about their recommended installers? I'm seeing prices of $15 per wheel for mounting & balancing, which i can live with, any other fees/charges i should expect to see?

Also, TPMS kits - $63 per seems a bit excessive - would the same recommended installer shops have a problem with me buying my own and just bringing them with me?

I think that about sums it up... Wanted to try to get a good black friday deal but don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger yet... Sorry for the wall of text and appreciate the help in advance.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:45 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Evinac
Hello folks,

A few weeks ago i got an expensive lesson in lock nuts, as all four wheels disappeared from my 2012 TSX. I got some temporary cheap rims/tires from nearby 24hr flat tire shop and am now looking for permanent replacements. Being completely new to the process, i would very much appreciate help and advice about selections and how to best handle the transition. I'm usually pretty good at navigating all the technical designations and specifications but feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the options, especially with the tires.

I'm in NYC, drive mostly on the weekends, around 10k miles per year. Looking for more of a practical solution - fuel efficiency, ride conform and low noise over aesthetics. Soft budget limit of $150 per rim and $150 per tire.

Based on my homework up to this point, Enkei rims appear to be a good fit for me - 17x7.5 GT7 or RSF5 look good and fit the budget. One thing I can't figure out is what spec to look for that would indicate that no part of the rim would be sticking out further than the tire - meaning that when parallel parking and getting too close to the curb, the tire rubs along the curb and not the rim - if that makes sense.

Both the Enkei rims ones are pretty narrow and thin - most of the break pads are exposed. Is there any benefit to getting fuller looking rims that cover more of the interior stuff? And if so, can you recommend a make/model of Enkei quality. (I'm reading that Enkei is top of the line, please correct if that is not the case anymore.)

For tires, i figure i'll keep mostly to the base - 225/50R17, with speed rating H or higher and load index of 95 or higher. I know I'll need all-season tires and this is where i get stuck - I'm now seeing designations such as ZR and RF instead of just R and am not sure what to make of it. Same thing for "UTQG" - can you please provide good marks to aim for in this spec? Kind of like the speed rating H or load index of 95 i mentioned earlier.

Looking at tirerack.com, they break down performance categories as follows: ultra-high performance, high performance, grand touring and passenger - i figure i fall under the grand touring category, primarily for the noise levels - does that seem right or am i missing something?

Are run-flat tires worth investing in for somebody in my position?

And regarding tirerack.com - any reason not to go through these guys? Any cautionary tales about their recommended installers? I'm seeing prices of $15 per wheel for mounting & balancing, which i can live with, any other fees/charges i should expect to see?

Also, TPMS kits - $63 per seems a bit excessive - would the same recommended installer shops have a problem with me buying my own and just bringing them with me?

I think that about sums it up... Wanted to try to get a good black friday deal but don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger yet... Sorry for the wall of text and appreciate the help in advance.
Tirerack is a good place to start and it seems like you've done most of your homework properly.

Grand touring is the equivalent of what was on the car, but quiet ride and NYC don't really go together.

A junkyard may be a good source of TSX wheels and TPMS.

Isn't your insurance paying for the theft? Don't forget that you can also write it off on your federal taxes.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Don't they have a Costco near New Rochelle? You could give them a shot. Usually, great prices on tires and install...and they use nitrogen, which has some benefits in keeping pressure consistent over time, as well as preventing wheel corrosion from the inside.

Have you considered just buying a used set of stock wheels that come with the TPMS? They're all over craigslist for like $300-500, wheels and tires.

Or do you want something aftermarket? $150/ea isn't unrealistic....but doesnt buy anything better than OEM in terms of function.

225/50/17 with a V speed rating. I think a 95 load rating. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity+ is a better tire than the stock Michelins...and they're less expensive.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Unless for some reason your insurance isn't going to cover the loss, why don't you just go with OEM wheels and a good replacement all season tire (tons of opinions on those here, and no, you don't need to buy Michelin$ again)? You don't seem particularly concerned with performance or aesthetics, and that way you'll know what you have and it might be less stressful.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, came back to this thread a number of times on my phone but never got to respond.

Insurance should cover the expenses for the most part, but i did just get the car over summer and having a lien on the insurance check is proving to be problematic, so i'm refinancing and taking advantage of a balance transfer promotional offer. -.-

Did check out costco, their promo prices aren't that great (something like $80 off a set of 4 tires with each tire being $170+) and once the guy started adding tax and installation it really got out of hand.

Ended up going thru tirerack and got most of the specs mention in OP. Wheels came assembled with TPMS's and were balanced (gotta verify that one) and after about an hour wait time on saturday morning, a yonkers shop put em up in 30 mins for a total charge of $20 and a tip for mechanic.

Enkei RSF5 rims, 225/50R17 Continental Purecontact 98V tires and a set of lock nuts... Looks pretty good and the ride... got on a good highway and felt like i was just gliding or floating for a bit there. Will try to post a pic.

Between frequencies and installation, TPMS sensors were the wildcard for me. But frankly, since i got everything together and they came pre-installed, I'm ok with $65 per. Car computer picked em up within the 1st few miles.

So aside from the lien related difficulties, the process was less stressful than expected. Tirerack was great - no tax, a little over $100 for delivery from Denver, CO - i may actually get to keep some of the insurance money.

Thanks again and i'm definitely going to be lurking on these forums going forward.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
glad you arent getting vossens or those cheap ESM reps..
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (12-17-2015)