08 TL Brembos on CU2 TSX help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
08 TL Brembos on CU2 TSX help

Hey guys, I've searched around but I haven't found any help on this exact question. I've seen several people swap the factory "Acura" labeled Brembos on the CU2 TSX and I'm aware of the kit and brackets needed to do the job. But I have an opportunity to pick up a set of aftermarket Brembo calipers that are designed for the 08-09 TL(not the type s). The guy selling them had the kit fitted to his 8th gen civic with the help of TL rotors.

I haven't seen anyone put this style of Brembo calipers on the second gen TSX so I'm hoping someone out there will see this and be able to help me out with any experience or advice as to if this is possible or what I may need to pull it off. I'm going to include a picture to show what I'm talking about. Thanks for any input. If I pick the kit up and make this work I'll be sure to update this thread with pictures and my experience so I can try to help anyone in the future.
Attached Thumbnails 08 TL Brembos on CU2 TSX help-img_1493.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
The forum where you originally posted, the AcuraZine User Help, Support & Suggestions Area , is meant for problems, comments, and suggestions for the website itself, so I moved your thread to the car specific forum applicable to your vehicle.

This was explained in the sticky thread at the top of that forum, or click here if you can't find it, which will explain why you shouldn't have posted your thread there.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Understood,sorry!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
04-08 TL 6 speed manuals and 07-08 TL type S's used brembo calipers.

09's did not.

The 1st gen and 2nd gen TSX has the same FRONT rotor/caliper/pad (IIRC). So the swap would be the same as doing it on a 04-08 TSX.

You'll need to drill your caliper mounting holes to accept a M14 bolt.

If you use TL rotors, you will need to use a ~6mm spacer BEHIND the rotor to move it outboard. So you'll need to take apart your hub to install extended studs.

If you use S2000 rotors, you won't need a spacer. But the rotor is too small (diameter). The pads will hang off the edge of the rotor.

I believe you need brake lines from a TL (maybe not).

04-08 TSX people have the option of just swapping the entire TL manual/TL-S knuckle onto the car. I don't believe that option exists for 2G owners.

You could, alternatively, do a RL caliper swap....which is easier and uses much larger rotors/calipers. But the brake pad options are lacking, and your brake pedal won't be as solid.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Wow man! Ok, thanks for abundance of help on that. That's more info than I've gotten in almost a week of trying to figure this all out myself. Best help I've ever gotten on a forum
Old 10-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BROlando
04-08 TL 6 speed manuals and 07-08 TL type S's used brembo calipers.

09's did not.

The 1st gen and 2nd gen TSX has the same FRONT rotor/caliper/pad (IIRC). So the swap would be the same as doing it on a 04-08 TSX.

You'll need to drill your caliper mounting holes to accept a M14 bolt.

If you use TL rotors, you will need to use a ~6mm spacer BEHIND the rotor to move it outboard. So you'll need to take apart your hub to install extended studs.

If you use S2000 rotors, you won't need a spacer. But the rotor is too small (diameter). The pads will hang off the edge of the rotor.

I believe you need brake lines from a TL (maybe not).

04-08 TSX people have the option of just swapping the entire TL manual/TL-S knuckle onto the car. I don't believe that option exists for 2G owners.

You could, alternatively, do a RL caliper swap....which is easier and uses much larger rotors/calipers. But the brake pad options are lacking, and your brake pedal won't be as solid.
I believe I also made a small mistake in my original post. Those set was designed for the 07-08
xtcnrice (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ShinGouki
Wow man! Ok, thanks for abundance of help on that. That's more info than I've gotten in almost a week of trying to figure this all out myself. Best help I've ever gotten on a forum

No problem.

I'm assuming here. But is this mainly being done for looks?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

No problem.

I'm assuming here. But is this mainly being done for looks?
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't mainly for looks. The deal I can possibly get on the Brembos is hard to pass up and I already have the rims that easily clear them. I feel like there's a lot of empty space back there aesthetically
Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I believe I also made a small mistake in my original post. Those set was designed for the 07-08
One other slight correction, the Brembo brake set up for 2007 and 2008 were only for the TL Type-S; the base TL wasn't available with Brembos in any way shape or form (but can be retrofitted with the Type-S/2004-2006 6MT Brembo setup).
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by horseshoez
One other slight correction, the Brembo brake set up for 2007 and 2008 were only for the TL Type-S; the base TL wasn't available with Brembos in any way shape or form (but can be retrofitted with the Type-S/2004-2006 6MT Brembo setup).
Oh yeah? Ok well thank you for that input. The guy selling this set up bought it with intent to fit it to his 8th gen civic but is now selling the car. So I'm not completely sure if he knows exactly what he has. He told me he's pretty sure the calipers were for the 07-08 TL but that's probably not the case
Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Oh yeah? Ok well thank you for that input. The guy selling this set up bought it with intent to fit it to his 8th gen civic but is now selling the car. So I'm not completely sure if he knows exactly what he has. He told me he's pretty sure the calipers were for the 07-08 TL but that's probably not the case
He's probably thinking of the 2007-2008 TL Type-S; the cars are virtually identical looking, the badging, the wheels, and the exhaust tips are the three main give-aways.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

4 piston calipers from 04-08 TL's are made by Brembo.

If you're doing this for looks, the RL caliper is substantially bigger and fills in more space. Its also WAY cheaper and WAY easier to retrofit.

I am currently using them on my 1st gen TSX.

Advantages of the Brembo:
  • They look about 600X nicer than the RL advics caliper.
  • They're monoblocks...which are stiffer
  • Have way more brake pad options than the Advics.
  • The pistons are closer to correct sizing for TSX's.

Advantage of the RL advics setup:
  • Big AF
  • Cheap AF
  • Easy AF
  • Mounting threads Won't strip like the Brembos often do
My big problem with my Advics is that there's like...zero "common" pad options for the RL Advics that I've liked. I have tried Powerstop Z23, Wagner Thermoquiets, and Satisfied Performance Pro something or other. All of them suck. The Satisfieds aren't bad. But...they're also not good.

I have some Bendix Semi Metallic's on the shelf to try next. Hope they don't suck. Its hard to find anything but ceramics for the Advics.

EBC yellowstuff would probably be good for street pads, though.

If my Bendix pads don't do it for me, I'll likely buy Carbotech AX6's and roll the windows up to hide from the noise.

Last edited by BROlando; 10-02-2017 at 07:44 PM.
xtcnrice (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
4 piston calipers from 04-08 TL's are made by Brembo.

If you're doing this for looks, the RL caliper is substantially bigger and fills in more space. Its also WAY cheaper and WAY easier to retrofit.

I am currently using them on my 1st gen TSX.

Advantages of the Brembo:
  • They look about 600X nicer than the RL advics caliper.
  • They're monoblocks...which are stiffer
  • Have way more brake pad options than the Advics.
  • The pistons are closer to correct sizing for TSX's.

Advantage of the RL advics setup:
  • Big AF
  • Cheap AF
  • Easy AF
  • Mounting threads Won't strip like the Brembos often do
My big problem with my Advics is that there's like...zero "common" pad options for the RL Advics that I've liked. I have tried Powerstop Z23, Wagner Thermoquiets, and Satisfied Performance Pro something or other. All of them suck. The Satisfieds aren't bad. But...they're also not good.

I have some Bendix Semi Metallic's on the shelf to try next. Hope they don't suck. Its hard to find anything but ceramics for the Advics.

EBC yellowstuff would probably be good for street pads, though.

If my Bendix pads don't do it for me, I'll likely buy Carbotech AX6's and roll the windows up to hide from the noise.
Yeah I'm still having noise issues with mine as well. My mechanic (who does a lot of work for cars that hit the track) said the FFC bracket is about a millimetre off (or something) from where it should be, and it's causing a lip on the pad to build up over time, which is potentially causing more squealing than there should be. I was previously on EBC Redstuff and they were awful. Noise everywhere I went, with dust everywhere as well (which I'm guessing attributed to the noise as well). I'm on Akebono ProACT for some time now and there is substantially less dust... barely any actually. But I get some initial squealing out of my parking lot (I guess from moisture and sitting overnight) and when they get hot they start to squeal a little. Kinda sucks and wondering if going with OEM RL pads next would do the trick. But then again, I'm guessing I'll lose a lot of "bite" if I do. Would probably have to go SS lines to make up for it but I really don't wanna spend anymore on the brakes at this point lol.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Yeah I'm still having noise issues with mine as well. My mechanic (who does a lot of work for cars that hit the track) said the FFC bracket is about a millimetre off (or something) from where it should be, and it's causing a lip on the pad to build up over time, which is potentially causing more squealing than there should be. I was previously on EBC Redstuff and they were awful. Noise everywhere I went, with dust everywhere as well (which I'm guessing attributed to the noise as well). I'm on Akebono ProACT for some time now and there is substantially less dust... barely any actually. But I get some initial squealing out of my parking lot (I guess from moisture and sitting overnight) and when they get hot they start to squeal a little. Kinda sucks and wondering if going with OEM RL pads next would do the trick. But then again, I'm guessing I'll lose a lot of "bite" if I do. Would probably have to go SS lines to make up for it but I really don't wanna spend anymore on the brakes at this point lol.
You guys are definitely making good points. I really appreciate the input from people who've done this. I was kind of set on the Brembo's but I switched that idea over the the RL's. I can see how they look there in your av with the XD9's and it looks great.

I have read your thread before about the swap you did but like I said I was kind of set on the Brembo's so I thought I would ask. I know someone here in the southern Ontario area that's selling a good set of RL calipers for 400 some maybe I'll go that route.
xtcnrice (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

FFC brackets and 324mm rotors are key. Barely any pad lip. Use some disk brake quiet and Silglyde silicone grease the pad tips where they touch the caliper. Clean the caliper in that area before applying the grease.

Mine are quiet.

Mine used to squeal with Fastbrakes brackets and 320mm rotors. Because this is a setup that causes a lip on the pad. Don't use a setup meant for 320mm rotors.

There is also some Ukranian guy who builds brackets for 330mm Hyundai Genesis rotors. He sells them on eBay.
xtcnrice (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

This might be the best collection of help, tips, and advice I’ve ever had on any forum for any car I’ve owned. I hope that anyone searching around finds this thread and learns as much as I have
Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

FFC brackets and 324mm rotors are key. Barely any pad lip. Use some disk brake quiet and Silglyde silicone grease the pad tips where they touch the caliper. Clean the caliper in that area before applying the grease.

Mine are quiet.

Mine used to squeal with Fastbrakes brackets and 320mm rotors. Because this is a setup that causes a lip on the pad. Don't use a setup meant for 320mm rotors.

There is also some Ukranian guy who builds brackets for 330mm Hyundai Genesis rotors. He sells them on eBay.
Are you using the 350Z Brembo rotors that FFC recommends? I was just reading about it on heeltoeauto.com
Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Are you using the 350Z rotors?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Are you using the 350Z Brembo rotors that FFC recommends? I was just reading about it on heeltoeauto.com

I am using FFC brackets and 324mm rotors meant for a Brembo (track) package 06 350Z. I think I bought them at a parts store.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Are you using the 350Z rotors?
Yep I got EBC blanks for the 350Z equipped with brembos.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

I'm curious as a kitten about these 330mm Genesis rotors.

I'm 110% sure I can design my own bracket.
xtcnrice (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Intermediate

I am using FFC brackets and 324mm rotors meant for a Brembo (track) package 06 350Z. I think I bought them at a parts store.
Ok great, thanks for clearing that up!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Yep I got EBC blanks for the 350Z equipped with brembos.

That’s good to know, thanks! I’m picking up the RL calipers tonight with a new set of OEM pads. I’m not doing the swap right away but I’ll post a couple pics when I pic them up later
xtcnrice (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

I talked to my mechanic who’s also a good friend, and after we weight out the pros and cons of everything you guys have told me we did decide to go with the RL’s
Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

I'm curious as a kitten about these 330mm Genesis rotors.

I'm 110% sure I can design my own bracket.
You definitely have me curious about it as well. I’m not doing my swap right away so maybe I’ll take the time to research into that while I wait.

My mechanic has lots of rotors from different years of 350z’s and TL’s, and he even has an old set of RL rototrs. So we’re going to take some time to do some test fitting and see what can work the best. I’ll let him know about the Genesis rotors as well, thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

RL rotors would work well if they weren't a 5X120 bolt pattern.
xtcnrice (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

RL rotors would work well if they weren't a 5X120 bolt pattern.
Ahhh ok understood. I was wondering why that wouldn’t work lol I had no idea they were 5x120
Old 10-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Intermediate

!!Update!!

Picked up my calipers today, great shape. The guy also threw in a brand new set of genuine Honda brake pads and flex lines. I’m probably going to pick up a set of Goodridge SS brake lines and I’m also planing on having the calipers powder coated but I haven’t set on a colour yet.

Updates to come....
Old 10-06-2017, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Cool!

I currently have mine gloss silver. In the upcoming weeks, I am planning on rebuilding them, shaving off the Acura, and re-painting them silver. As well as loading in my new Bendix Semi-Metallic pads which I hope are better than ceramics. I may grab some new torx bolts as well.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Intermediate

Cool!

I currently have mine gloss silver. In the upcoming weeks, I am planning on rebuilding them, shaving off the Acura, and re-painting them silver. As well as loading in my new Bendix Semi-Metallic pads which I hope are better than ceramics. I may grab some new torx bolts as well.
That’s awesome! I could see gloss silver with the Acura shaved off looking very clean. Finding these calipers in my area with the Acura on there is a little rare so I want to keep it for the time being.

I think I’m between black for a slightly stealthy look, and matching them with the blue in my Weds Sport SA-70’s.

I have no experience with these pads yet so I’m a ways off from trying another brand but I’ll definitely look up the Torx bolts for when I have them rebuilt, thanks!
xtcnrice (10-09-2017)