Weird rubbing noise with wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird rubbing noise with wheel spacers

So after I installed a set of Tein S-Tech springs, I also bolted on 1.5 inch wheel spacers onto all 4 hubs. I installed everything at my friends house, and when I took it home today in the afternoon, I didn't hear any weird rubbing sounds from my front wheels. But after I gave it a car wash 2 hours later, and by night time when I took it out I started hearing the noises..Not quite sure if it was making noises before, or just started too..Does anyone seem to know what's going on/a solution/have some feedback that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
remove your wheel spacers.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
You did mention that you washed the car... I wonder if the water has something to do with it.

What kind of spacers did you get?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by its rayden
remove your wheel spacers.
Not to much else to say. 1.5 inches is a lot, thats like 37mm. Way too much, must look weird too.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by hellasl0wCU2
So after I installed a set of Tein S-Tech springs, I also bolted on 1.5 inch wheel spacers onto all 4 hubs. I installed everything at my friends house, and when I took it home today in the afternoon, I didn't hear any weird rubbing sounds from my front wheels. But after I gave it a car wash 2 hours later, and by night time when I took it out I started hearing the noises..Not quite sure if it was making noises before, or just started too..Does anyone seem to know what's going on/a solution/have some feedback that would be greatly appreciated!
What are the chances that the Teins have settled since install? It's possible that the little bit of drive home and the sit caused them to settle just enough to get rub.
I will also agree that the 1.5" spacers seems a bit much.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
I have 20mm spacers each side with 8.5x19 rims offset 40. everything is ok. drive this setup for months now. I would take a look at the springs. Dont believe spacers start making noise after a while. Maybe the springs dont sit perfect in place?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Racer

hondo, our OEM wheels have an offset of 55mm. your wheel and spacer setup effectively puts your wheels at +5mm from stock. the OP didn't mention anything about aftermarket wheels, so i assume he's still on stock wheels, and a 1.5" spacer will push the wheels out approximately +38mm. this is a HUGE difference.

the spacers themselves won't make noise, but the fact that the wheels and tires are being pushed out towards the fenders, and potentially rubbing on them is what makes the noise.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
OMG, I hope the spacers were the bolt-on style with studs in them.

Wait, there's no way there's enough stud without them, scratch that.

Are you going for the hella-flush look? Geezus, 1 1/2" is like, a mile.

Sure the springs settled a little bit, as did the suspension. All spring manufacturers claim their springs don't "settle" or "sag", but there's enough deflection in the suspension being at full droop, then R & R the struts and *not* tighten their attaching points with the suspension loaded, as most everyone does.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys, I finally found out the reason why it was making all those noises...So me and my buddy decided to work on my spring installation at 11pm on the same day we worked on blacking out my headlights(we started working on it at 10pm the night before) just to get things over with..with that being said..we followed a DIY thread on the forum which showed us somewhat exactly what to do and all that..it took us nearly 2 hours to get the first stock strut off because we had a hard time using the jack to make space for the sucker to come off(we found a relatively easier and faster way of doing that when we were putting the strut with new springs back in)...to make the story short..we basically well asleep near the end with the last wheel and I woke up thinking I already tightened the top hats and the bolts on the wheel spacers... >.< I realized this when the next day I decided to check things out and as I was loosening the bolts, i didn't have to use any force at all...

Thank god nothing crazy happened when I was driving on the freeway..
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
10th Gear

No bro, at first I thought so too before installing the spacers. But then without them, my wheels would be sorta tucked..and I sorta don't like seeing the wheel not aligning with the fender and body if I were to look at it standing in front of my car.. This is what I mean..I'll post up some better pics hopefully tomorrow..it's too dark out now :P

Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
10th Gear

Oh and thank you everyone for your feedback...I'm still sorta n00b at forums so I kinda don't know how to reply to messages and actually have the original message on top :p

The car rides and sits pretty nice right now just knowing its only sitting on springs..my initial goal was some coilovers but being jobless atm isn't really helping out..so airbags is out of the picture as well for n o w

my tires only rub against the fender when im merging off/on freeway ramps or when I take a some turns..(I don't usually stop at a red light when Im about to make a right turn..yes I know its bad and im trying to work on it :/ )
Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Racer

you might want to roll those fenders. rubbing is not a good thing and isn't one of those things you just "deal with". get it fixed before you end up shredding your tires or your fenders.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by hellasl0wCU2
Oh and thank you everyone for your feedback...I'm still sorta n00b at forums so I kinda don't know how to reply to messages and actually have the original message on top :p

The car rides and sits pretty nice right now just knowing its only sitting on springs..my initial goal was some coilovers but being jobless atm isn't really helping out..so airbags is out of the picture as well for n o w

my tires only rub against the fender when im merging off/on freeway ramps or when I take a some turns..(I don't usually stop at a red light when Im about to make a right turn..yes I know its bad and im trying to work on it :/ )
Wow that's a tight fit. Would love to see pics from the front/back.

As for replying with the other person's message, go to that message and hit the "quote" button

You can also multiquote with the button just to the side of that.