Warbling knocking timing belt (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Warbling knocking timing belt (V6)

Hey guys,
So I have a 2010 TSX V6 with 105k currently. I replaced my timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, and coolant at 95k because the tensioner crapped the bed. All OEM stuff. Since then, I've had a warbling/high rpm tapping from the timing cover. I've done a lot of googling, and found a lot of people with similar problems, such as i_hate_cars on the TL forum here, who chalked the noise up to nothing and just let it be. I was going to do just that, but it's been 10k miles since the t-belt and the noise has not gotten better, and I think I'm hearing a slight metallic grind when the rattle gets louder, like a dry bearing.

So the saga begins. Today I removed the t-belt covers (shoutout to the lisle 19mm harmonic pulley socket and my Milwaukee fuel saving me a ton of time) and started it up. With a cheapo harbor freight stethoscope, I found that the Koyo adjuster pulley is very loud. The noise isn't audible on the bracket, or the tensioner, just on the center bolt and inner race of the pulley. The noise is sort of audible on the idler pulley, but quiet, making me think it's radiating down the belt. Also, this brand new, OEM adjuster pulley has grease on the inner surface of the pulley, meaning the bearing is starting to fail! Besides the fact that this is absolutely unacceptable, it's scary to think what would've happened if I didn't get the urge to tear into the car again today. I've ordered another koyo adjuster, this time on Amazon and for about a third the price that Acura sells them for. I'll be replacing it later this week and I'll keep this thread updated. I wanted to create a post so that other people who run into this issue can see what I did, if, fingers crossed, I end up fixing the problem.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...rattle-942215/

Problem solved, for anybody that is curious.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Good to know. Thanks for digging into this and I hope I don't have this problem in a few years when I hit 100k.