Received a letter from Acura to replace rear brakes free of charge.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Received a letter from Acura to replace rear brakes free of charge.

Anyone else got this letter from Honda Canada? It seems Honda is concerned it may cause an accident during winter season.

It states that they will replace my rear brakes free of charge or if I had already replaced them, they will refund 50% of the cost.

My brakes are frequently making squeaking sound even though I only drove my car 6100 KM over a year now.

I guess I'll go and have them changed.
Old 02-02-2010 | 10:44 PM
Racer

anyway you can put this letter on the website?
Old 02-03-2010 | 01:03 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

didnt get it here in the state...but did get a anniversary letter from them LOl
Old 02-03-2010 | 09:15 PM
Instructor

I got the letter today. Honda Canada is concerned about premature rear brake pad wear. The pads will be replaced ONLY when they require replacement from wear. As the letter states some brake squeal is normal. You have 3 years from the date of inservice to have the pads replaced. If necessary,the calipers will be replaced as well.
Old 02-04-2010 | 05:48 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Originally Posted by levistar
I got the letter today. <snip> You have 3 years from the date of inservice to have the pads replaced. If necessary,the calipers will be replaced as well.
Calipers or rotors?
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Copy of letter.

Customer Satisfaction Campaign.

January 2010

Honda Canada lnc. has decided to undertake a Customer Satisfaction Campaign that applies to the rear brakes of your 2009 Acura TSX. We wish to assure you that this action is being taken as a customer satisfaction measure and not due to safety concerns. We request that you follow the instructions in this letter in order to secure the service described for your rear br,ak6s, at no cost to you, or to obtain reimbursement for past rear brake repairs described in this letter.
Check your VIN

We try to ensure that our records are complete but sometimes they are not. Please check the 17-diEit Vehicie ldentification Number (VlN) at the top of this letter to ensure that it matches the 17-digit VIN on the lower driver's side corner of your vehicle's windshield or on the driver's side door jarnb sticker. lf it does not, please contact our Acura Client Services and a representative will verify whether your vehicle is in fact, included in this Customer Satisfaction Campaign. lf you no longer own this vehicle, or some information in this notice is incorrect, please fill out and return the included postage paid lnformation Change Card or foruvard this notice to the new owner if possible.

What is the issue?

lTo-nda eahada']nc. wishes to addiess the possibility that certain driving habits or conditions in Canada may cause premature reai''brake pad wear. As stated in your Owner's Manual, the disc brakes on your vehicle are equipped with audible brake pad wear indicators. lf you hear a distinct, metallic icreeching sound when you apply the brake pedal, this is a signal that your brake pads need replacing. lf you do not hive.the.biake pads replaced, they witl begin to screech continuously. (Note: that it is-normal for the brakes to occasionally squeal or squeak when you apply them - that is not the more sustained sound we are describing here.)

What should you do?

When your rear brake pads require replacement as signalled by a consistent screeching s0und, please contaci your authorized Acura dealer to schedule an appointment. lf your rear brake pads need to be replaced, new brake pads will be installed or, if necessary, your rear brake calipers which include the new brake pads will be replaced, at no charge. This service work will typically.take less than a day.
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I just got this letter today for both of our cars.

Seems Acura has a winner with the 2G TSX. Should have learned my lesson about first model year cars from the 97 Prelude I had. Could be worse I suppose. I could be driving, err I mean parking my Toyota if I had one.
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:29 PM
Instructor

When you get them replaced let me know the part # of the pads that they replaced them with. I would like to see if they are the same as here in the states.
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Second half of letter.

What lf you have already paid to have your rear brakepads replaced?

lf the rear brake pads on your vehicle have already been replaced and you paid for some or all of the related work, you may be eligible for reimbursement from Acura for a portion of what you paid.

Please refer to the enclosed Reimbursement Form for information on how to determine eligibility, what supporting documentation is required and how to calculate the amount of the reimbursement.

Time Limit

Your vehicle is eligible for the benefits under this Campaign for a period beginning three years from the date the vehicle was first purchased or leased as a brand new vehicle from a Canadian Acura dealer. After that date, your vehicle will no longer be eligible under this Campaign.

Who to contact if you need more information?

lf you would like more information, require assistance locating an Acura Dealer or have any concerns regarding any work done under this campaign, please contact Acura Client Services at the telephone nrrmher or address below- or visit our website at www.mvacura.ca.
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry the first half of the letter is so screwed. Don't know why that is. If you guys need me to post it again I'm more then happy to do so.
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, thanks for posting the letter. Did you OCR it or type it manually?
Old 02-04-2010 | 06:59 PM

Holy crap, calipers too! That's a pretty comprehensive recall/TSB. Thanks Lou, it'll be interesting to see if we get anything here, now that I just replaced my rears today, dammit, just in time.

Originally Posted by BOOSTED09TSX
When you get them replaced let me know the part # of the pads that they replaced them with. I would like to see if they are the same as here in the states.

I know you are Acura, Boosted, but for comparison, in case my new ones were the revised ones on account of the drilled pad to accept the spring clip? I just noticed the re-sticker on this box just now.
Old 02-04-2010 | 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

In an effort to look like a hero I'd like to say I typed it word for word but I scanned it and then copied/pasted it. And you're welcome. It's the least I can do in return for all the help I've received here.
Old 02-04-2010 | 07:48 PM
Instructor

Do the canadian tsx's use the same breaks as ours in the us?
Old 02-04-2010 | 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nabooly
Do the canadian tsx's use the same breaks as ours in the us?
I can't see Honda putting different brakes on cars destined for the US and Canada. So my answer to your question is, no.
Old 02-04-2010 | 08:41 PM
Racer

wow thanks I really hope they do something about it here.
Old 02-04-2010 | 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Lou, I will be waiting for my letter.

FWIW, my rear pads was replaced last Aug @ 32,000km.
Old 02-05-2010 | 12:15 PM
Pro

I was at the dealer today getting the pinging TSB done when the service advisor told me that this rear brake campaign was being done and asked me if I wanted to do it at the same time. Said that the rear pads would be replaced because of premature wear and that the rotors would be machined as well. Not sure if he was right about the rotor part cause the letter apparently doesn't mention it. Didn't have time to do it cause it would have increased my wait time by another 2 hrs.
Old 02-05-2010 | 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

That is interesting. I didn't get anything yet but I will be inquiring about it next time I am in for my service. I also don't know what to do with the pinging. My car has had very very few instances of pinging and I am concerned that doing the reflash can create other adverse effects. I will discuss with my service advisors....
Old 02-05-2010 | 09:00 PM
Advanced

Guys, question since I got the letter too..

1) Usually, when are the brakes due for replacement? Like around 30k?

2) Typically, brrakes are not covered under warranty due to wear and tear? Correct?

Does that mean now I can wait till like 40k or when my brakes are really warn and then go have this recall addressed since I'm pretty much getting brakes done for free?
Old 02-06-2010 | 11:39 AM
Pro

240sxer,
I got the letter yesterday--it says you have up to 3 years after you first purchase the vehicle to get this done--as long as the wear isn't due to abuse (racing I guess).

It mentions that the brakes have an audible wear indicator so you can just wait till your brakes start squealing and you'll know it's time.

Personally, I'm going to wait till the next oil change then I'll get it done unless they squeal before then.

Oh, and BTW, the reimbursement part mentions that you can get up to 50% of the costs back from brake work done PRIOR to the date of the letter (meaning prior to Jan 2010).
Old 02-06-2010 | 09:09 PM
Pro

thanks for the info
Old 02-07-2010 | 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
and that the rotors would be machined as well. Not sure if he was right about the rotor part cause the letter apparently doesn't mention it.
Rotors have to be machined (turned, cut, etc) when replacing pads. Well, they don't *have* to be machined, if one is a DFR, but it's the correct way.

I just replaced my rotors and pads with new OE stuff because they had already been machined once and were thinner than the minimum service thickness that's cast into the back of the rotor.
Old 02-15-2010 | 10:22 PM
10th Gear

Haven't been on here in a while but have been hearing horrible brake noises from the rear of my 09 TSX. Took it to the dealership today and they offered to replace them for free, now I understand why. Getting them replaced tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd

It mentions that the brakes have an audible wear indicator so you can just wait till your brakes start squealing and you'll know it's time.

Lol well if that's the case then my brakes should have been replaced at 3,000 miles.
Old 02-16-2010 | 09:25 PM
Intermediate

woah wait....

i just paid $360 for rear brake pads and to resurface the rotors..... I have 25,000 miles.
Do you think this will be the same for the U.S.?

I want my money back!!!
Old 02-27-2010 | 10:42 AM
Instructor

Yes I got this letter and I live in Vancouver. They replaced the brakes for free and they didn't even squeak. I just wanted the free brakes.
Old 02-28-2010 | 07:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by james_and7
Yes I got this letter and I live in Vancouver. They replaced the brakes for free and they didn't even squeak. I just wanted the free brakes.
Why would you not wait until you needed rear brakes? If they were not bothering you and most likely not worn enough to warrant replacement. You do know you have 3 years from purchase to replace the pads for free.
Old 02-28-2010 | 09:43 PM
Instructor

thats a good point. I didn't think of that. woops.