Rear Brakes Premature wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brakes Premature wear

Okay so I live in southern california and bouught my 2009 acura in summer of 2008. I have been annoyed by the front brakes for the longest time until JUST last month the TSB came out. What a relief! Dealership swapped out my rear brakes and machined the rotors because they thought the sound was coming from the rear, even though I said it was in the front. They said that my rear brakes were down to 10% and that they will change it.

Exactly 1 year later, my rear brakes are done again with 18,000 miles. I have read that a TSB for the Canadian TSX went out for the rear brakes and some Accords are having the same problem with pre-mature wear. Is anyone else having this problem as well? If so, please call Acura at
1-800-382-2238 option 5 to complain. If we can get enough people to complain, Acura will take care of this.

Thanks,

Mav
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mav,

I am having the same problems on the rear pads, replaced twice at 35K (first at 13.6K).

Go to www.safercar.gov and give the complaint to NHTSA also along with Acura.

The problem is in the car, the rear inside caliper pad wears out faster than the outside pad, so it is either rubbing or when you apply the brake it only clamps one side (on light braking)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

this might be a solution, hope it will help

http://wot.motortrend.com/6663384/re...ear/index.html
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
which means by May all 2009 TSX will get either $150 or redesigned brake pads installed if we go to the dealer regardless current condition of rear brake pad. ( I mean even is not in premature state)
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Interesting stuff. I'm new to this forum. I have an 09 TSX with just under 18K miles and just this morning stopped in my local Acura for an oil change and with a brake complaint. They had to resurface all four rotors and replace the pads. Hmmm...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

The class action suit is step in the right direction. I bought a CPO 09 TSX with 11,000 miles. Like everyone else, I noticed the squeal and had the rear brakes replaced at 15,000, thankfully comped by the dealer. 3,500 miles later, both the front and rear are squealing again. I can't wait to hear the dealer's excuse the next time I take my car in for service.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 AM
10th Gear

Mine only has 2200 miles on it and now it starts to squeal... OMG...
I don't know it is from the front or rear. I think I should take my car to dealer soon
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i took my car twice to get that fixed but both times they said they couldn't replicate the noise so in my second visit i was due for b1 service and they put some grease or some thing on my brake and no more squeaqqqysss but regardless every time i took in they took the pads out and found they are perfectly good but still i herd the squeaky noise occasionally

Originally Posted by jiunlin
Mine only has 2200 miles on it and now it starts to squeal... OMG...
I don't know it is from the front or rear. I think I should take my car to dealer soon
Old 05-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Intermediate

I have found out that on a Canadian TSX the TSB is out for the rear breaks because of shitty pads......i spoke with a tech freind at Sterne Acura in Aurora ONT, the place i got my TSX from, and he said that the TSB is good for 3yrs/60000km so go get em done gents
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Instructor

funny I just saw this thread. I JUST got my car back from the dealer yesterday for premature wear on the rear brakes. They didnt warranty it. They said its normal. I tried arguing with them but they weren't hearing it. I only have 19,000 miles.

So I just left without getting the work done because I'm NOT spending $400 on a new set of pads and resurfaced rotors.

He said its normal for people to come in with worn pads before 20,000 miles. When I told him that there's a problem when brakes are worn before 20,000 miles, he tells me that "its even normal for people to come in with right side pads to be worn before the left side (and vice versa)." He then said "its all in the design of the car". (those are his exact words, too)

I walked out at that point.

Last edited by nyydynasty; 05-06-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Self Aware

Originally Posted by nyydynasty
funny I just saw this thread. I JUST got my car back from the dealer yesterday for premature wear on the rear brakes. They didnt warranty it. They said its normal. I tried arguing with them but they weren't hearing it. I only have 19,000 miles.

So I just left without getting the work done because I'm NOT spending $400 on a new set of pads and resurfaced rotors.

He said its normal for people to come in with worn pads before 20,000 miles. When I told him that there's a problem when brakes are worn before 20,000 miles, he tells me that "its even normal for people to come in with right side pads to be worn before the left side (and vice versa)." He then said "its all in the design of the car". (those are his exact words, too)

You may want to show them this...

http://wot.motortrend.com/6663384/re...ear/index.html
Old 05-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Instructor

The problem is the dealer monkeys are as dumb as they can be. Yeah they probably know there is a problem but upper management / acura wont let them fix it. They are forced to say 'its normal' cause they see it all the time. Never do they once think or reason that why should it be normal? And ofcourse people pay for the fix because its 'normal', its a safety issue and frankly its a big one!

Its like going to best buy and talking to the monkeyes there. 90% of the sales people dont know jack. I know I used to work for BBY. Ask them why Monster HDMI is better than the other brand, they will give you an explanation that would make your head swell. They may say something about interference and cleaner picture.. blah blah blah...

Same thing, the idiots dont know and dont care enough, they get paid to tell us "its normal". If I was a service manager, I'd be looking into the cause. I am scientist by trade. I think I know what the problem is. However I will need someone to help me verify my hypothesis.

Yes we all know its a design issue. Honda fucked up. By putting a floating caliper design in an attempt to save weight they mis-calculated the braking ability of the design. I believe the issue isn't when you break hard, it is an issue when you brake lightly (which for me is 90% of the time). When you brake lightly the inner pad touches the disc, however it not enough of a push to let the outer pad touch the disc. SO what happens is that the inner pad takes the brunt of the braking action, while the outer pad is not worn. Under hard braking the inner pad pushes out a lot more (EBD) and contacts the outer pad.

How did I deduce this. Well I went back to my scientific training. I have had 2 pads sets replaced. I pulled out both pads measured it by caliper. Since I have a distance log I have been able to figure out distance between changes of pads.
Second I was able to use a feeler gauge to check the outer pad distance. I am yet to take off the rear wheels to see the inner static pad distance. But I bet that the distance between the outer pad to the disc is greater than the inner pad to the disc. When I take the wheel off I will measure the inner and outer pad distance since my last pad change. That should correct my rate of wear for my driving style / of the pads.

The fix is simple, put a shim/spacer behind the outer pad bringing it closer to the disc. I cant do this until I can get a friend to help me take the wheels off so I can measure the distance between the pad and the disc. However I think a simple shim wont help, it needs a engineered shim. The other solution is for honda to replace all calipers, but I doubt they would do that.

By the way the VSA system is partly responsible for this wear too. It kicks in on turns to stabilize the car. You wont see the flashing orange light saying its going off, because its not hard enough to trip, but I believe that the VSA system on certain type of turns kicks in enough to let one brake pad touch the disc. I have heard a squeal from my pads when i've not touched the brakes going into a turn.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Instructor

TheGoodGuy, interesting writeup. thanks for the info. Its good to know.

fcee, I'm not sure if the dealer will care about info on motortrend's website but if I can get a more 'trustworthy' website with that info, I'll definitely bring it into the dealer and show them because according to them, acura isn't allowing them to warranty this. I dont think thats true....i think they didnt even check and just told me that they can't warranty it.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Self Aware

TheGoodGuy, interesting writeup. thanks for the info. Its good to know.

fcee, I'm not sure if the dealer will care about info on motortrend's website but if I can get a more 'trustworthy' website with that info, I'll definitely bring it into the dealer and show them because according to them, acura isn't allowing them to warranty this. I dont think thats true....i think they didnt even check and just told me that they can't warranty it.
This website is pretty trustworthy...NYtimes

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...t-over-brakes/
Old 05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Instructor

i'll give it a shot. I doubt they'll even care but its worth a shot
Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Self Aware

i'll give it a shot. I doubt they'll even care but its worth a shot
Good luck!

I have an appointment with my dealer to check my brakes next week too.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone know if replacing the pads/rotors with aftermarket will fix the problem, or would the pads still wear prematurely? I'm guessing if the design is that the rears are being applied with more force than necessary, doesn't really matter what pads you have. Though if it's a pad problem, seems like going with a different type of pad would work.

Just thinking if I can switch pads to something different, probably cheaper in the long run versus continually replacing OEM.

Anyone with experience on this?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TheGoodGuy thank you for the info...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fceeviper
I have an appointment with my dealer to check my brakes next week too.
good luck! I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer (hopefully today) to see if they'll warranty it. He said that he had not heard about that lawsuit. We'll see how this turns out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by NorCalTSX09
Anyone know if replacing the pads/rotors with aftermarket will fix the problem, or would the pads still wear prematurely? I'm guessing if the design is that the rears are being applied with more force than necessary, doesn't really matter what pads you have. Though if it's a pad problem, seems like going with a different type of pad would work.

Just thinking if I can switch pads to something different, probably cheaper in the long run versus continually replacing OEM.

Anyone with experience on this?
I dont think it will if the design is causing the premature wear but I'm not a mechanic so I could be wrong. I would imagine aftermarket brakes might last longer because you may be purchasing 'better' pads but they'll probably still wear out faster than they should
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

at the dealer right now to have my rear breaks looked out. told them about the class action settlement but they said there's no tsb for it. I do have 27k miles on it and they say it's normal. Oh well
Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Instructor

so the dealer called me back after speaking with their Honda rep and they decided to replace my rear pads and resurface the rotors as a "generous offer" At least they're replacing it
Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chibianh
at the dealer right now to have my rear breaks looked out. told them about the class action settlement but they said there's no tsb for it. I do have 27k miles on it and they say it's normal. Oh well
Which brake pads were worn out more, did you ask for the pads. I need this info. Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Self Aware

Got back from the dealer, the squeak from my brakes, now gone.

The replaced the pads and resurfaced the discs, and yes the back tired were gone faster than the pads in front.

Happy happy, joy joy.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

I live in NYC, anyone have a good dealer in the area, nyydynasty which dealer did you deal with? Or does anyone else have any preferences, in either NYC or near the borders of NYC
Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Advanced

My May 2008 build, 2009 TSX with 26,000 miles, started making that scraping noise from the rear (it's the rear inside pad that has the noise making "low pad" indicator attached to it).
Anyway today instead of messing with the Class Action Claim, I just went ahead and replaced all 8 pads with EBC Green pads E35DP21987 rear and E35DP21610 front, made in United Kingdom. Ordered online for 176 delivered.

Note: the front pads were only worn about 15% and both inner and outer pads exhibited the same amount of wear.
But the rear pads were way different. The Inner rear pad was worn to the point of having the wear indicator touching the Disc (about 10% pad remaining), where as the Outer rear pad was only worn down about 40% (60% good yet).
Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
^I bought front EBC Green Stuff pads also along with drilled/slotted rotors for front and rear.

My car is Apr 08 built, I take mine into the dealer at 33K miles to have the rear pads replaced as it was starting to make noise again even though it was replaced at 20K miles just eight months prior. Anyway, long story short, Canadian Acura dealer has a recall/TSB to replace both front and rear pads with new improved and redesigned ones, and machine all the rotors under warranty. So I still have the EBC pads and Rotora rotors at home.

You can't go wrong with the EBC pads either,my local performance auto parts store owner swear by it.