Problem With Vibration during idle and Idle coasting

Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem With Vibration during idle and Idle coasting

Hi all, I have a 2010 tsx AT i-4. It's almost 2 weeks old.
When I put the car in drive the rpms drop slightly, and I can start to feel some vibration through the steering wheel/pedals. When I put the car in Neutral or Park, the rpms rise slightly and I can't even tell the car is on.

Is it normal to feel vibration through the steering wheel/pedals?...enough to feel and know that the car is on?

Also, When I am in Drive and sitting at a stop light, on a slight incline, if I let off the brake to "creep up" alittle, the car pulses/shakes back and forth (as if it's trying to move forward) the rpms stay the same. The car does move forward, but it pulses/shakes while it moves.
Everyone who has been in the car with me has experienced this, but only when I point it out and do it for them.

Does anyone else with an auto tranny have the same issues?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
The resulting load & vibration through the steering wheel in gear with the brake pedal on is typical in my experience. In the last 20 or so years with a good bit of seat time in Hondas, I feel they do it more so than some and less than few others.

The surging on an incline in drive with the brake off is the point where the transmission is trying to move the car forward, but idle isn't enough torque to do so. (FWIW, it's not real good for the tranny to sit on an incline like this.)
Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I'm overly sensitive to these things. My previous car was a 17 year old V-6, so I don't expect these sounds and feelings with a brand-new modern car.

Also, I don't sit there with the foot off the break, I only let off the break to move forward a couple of feet when the car ahead of me moves forward as well (usually during stop and go traffic). It's just that I have never experienced the pulsing with any other car I have driven.

Thanks again for the reply. I only have about 270 miles on it, so I hope things will smooth out after it breaks in.
The following users liked this post:
VR1 (11-24-2014)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

ok, sorry about reviving an old thread. I just can't stand the vibration when the car is in "D" when idling. The car had almost 1800 miles now, and the vibration has not improved.

Does anyone elses car do this????

All of this occurs after the engine has warmed up:

When Im in "D" and at a stop, and when everything is turned off (no a/c, no heat, or headlights) the tach is between 600-700rpm and the steering wheel vibrates (I don't even want to hold the steering wheel at a stop light, just too annoying).

As soon as I turn the heat on, or the a/c, or the headlights, the tach rises about 50-75rpms. Then the car idles as smooth as silk.

When I turn off the heat/AC/or headlights, the rpms drop again, and the vibration is back.
The vibration is only noticable in the steering wheel and pedals.

If there is a request for a video, I will make one and post it.

I really can't find any time to go to the dealers right now, Im swamped at work and home.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what octane fuel are you using?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

93 since the beginning.

I actually thought it might be the brand of gas (Exxon), so I filled up with sunoco once...it was the same.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have 4 cars in the family. Two 4-cyl (both auto) and two V6 (auto and MT). Both 4-cyl do this, but no V6 does this. Same as yours. 4-cyl engine just cannot be that smooth like the V6! And If you will drive V8, you will be experiencing the same symtoms, if you go back to the V6.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by HHCZ
We have 4 cars in the family. Two 4-cyl (both auto) and two V6 (auto and MT). Both 4-cyl do this, but no V6 does this. Same as yours. 4-cyl engine just cannot be that smooth like the V6! And If you will drive V8, you will be experiencing the same symtoms, if you go back to the V6.

I have this issue and its noticeable enough to where it does not seem normal. I'm sorry but the whole V6 engine excuse does not fly with me. I've had 4-cylinder Element (same engine as TSX) and 4-cylinder civic and they do not do this. I'm taking it in today see what they say.

When my Jeep did this it was the IAC needed to be replaced... after 140k. This is unacceptable. I have a 2009 TSX with 40K just started doing it about a month ago.

Last edited by 1000tsx; 12-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tastytreats
ok, sorry about reviving an old thread. I just can't stand the vibration when the car is in "D" when idling. The car had almost 1800 miles now, and the vibration has not improved.

Does anyone elses car do this????

All of this occurs after the engine has warmed up:

When Im in "D" and at a stop, and when everything is turned off (no a/c, no heat, or headlights) the tach is between 600-700rpm and the steering wheel vibrates (I don't even want to hold the steering wheel at a stop light, just too annoying).

As soon as I turn the heat on, or the a/c, or the headlights, the tach rises about 50-75rpms. Then the car idles as smooth as silk.

When I turn off the heat/AC/or headlights, the rpms drop again, and the vibration is back.
The vibration is only noticable in the steering wheel and pedals.

If there is a request for a video, I will make one and post it.

I really can't find any time to go to the dealers right now, Im swamped at work and home.

Did this ever go away for you? did you find a solution?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
They are just rough running cars that ping like crazy. I am very disappointed I got rid of my old Lexus IS for this car. My lexus with 80,000 miles ran smoother and had less problems.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1000tsx
I have this issue and its noticeable enough to where it does not seem normal. I'm sorry but the whole V6 engine excuse does not fly with me. I've had 4-cylinder Element (same engine as TSX) and 4-cylinder civic and they do not do this. I'm taking it in today see what they say.
my 2009 tsx dose the same thing when you have AC on. The vibration is noticeable and excessive. my car just hit to 30000 miles, but i felt this since 20000 miles. Do you have a chance to get your car to check with dealer? I would like to bring her to dealer to see what they will say to me?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2012 wagon do the same, 1st was at 60mph and up vibration through steering, now 40+ i starting to feel that and the pedals area as well. my car has only 600+ miles, vibration since i got the car new with 10 miles on it. Monday morning will be my 3rd visit to the dealer, this time would be the serive manger test drive my car with me. it is pretty annoying. vibration feels strong when you out on D than R.