knock or clunk in driver front

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
knock or clunk in driver front

ive had to cars come in in two days with this problem. was wondering if anyone has had this problem and was fixed.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I just bought my car last week and I notice a knocking noise pretty frequently when I start from a stop, I have a 6sp. It feels like it's coming from underneath my feet, any ideas on what it is?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 6spd 2 Friday's ago. last week the knock was present. Driving around yesterday and today, its gone. I'm still going to get Acura to check it out.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jmoon
I bought my 6spd 2 Friday's ago. last week the knock was present. Driving around yesterday and today, its gone. I'm still going to get Acura to check it out.
does it only happen when you proceed from a stop? let me know what the dealer says. thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 PM
9th Gear

I got my TSX V6 w/Tech on 8/18 went to dealers for knocking on 8/19...They still have it.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlmccray
I got my TSX V6 w/Tech on 8/18 went to dealers for knocking on 8/19...They still have it.
let me know what the dealer says, would you?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

I was advised by the dealership that "the metal on the car is having insufficient gap causing pop when body transitions." Supposedly there is a "special tool that is on national back order with no release date" that will correct the issue.

I have taken my car in twice and this was the explanation after my second visit and they had my car for over a week. I have been told that when I bring it back for the repair that this "wedge" will resolve the issue.

I hope so or I'll be filing a Lemon Law complaint.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by live2hit01
does it only happen when you proceed from a stop? let me know what the dealer says. thanks.
I havent had time to bring my car to the shop. but some days the knock is there. some days it isnt.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoon
I havent had time to bring my car to the shop. but some days the knock is there. some days it isnt.
I have similar sound for a long time. I always can not figure out what this sound is. You can hear slightly knocking from the underneath of outside of your driver's side when you start from a stop. It disapper when you pick up a speed. It is very annoyed. Just like your condition, some days the knock is there. some days it isnt. Is this same sound with everybody? I have an I4 auto.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by live2hit01
let me know what the dealer says, would you?
Today they say it's the bushings in the right front control arm. They say they ordered a new one and will be putting it on tomorrow. We shall see.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today they say it's the bushings in the right front control arm. They say they ordered a new one and will be putting it on tomorrow. We shall see.
I scheduled this Friday with dealer. Can you tell me how exactly you describe the problem to dealer ? My Knocking is faint. It only happen when you start form a stop, but not always. I only can hear from left side of underneath. It will get obvious when car is warmming up and outside temperture is high. Did my symptom same with yours?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by tsxuser
I scheduled this Friday with dealer. Can you tell me how exactly you describe the problem to dealer ? My Knocking is faint. It only happen when you start form a stop, but not always. I only can hear from left side of underneath. It will get obvious when car is warmming up and outside temperture is high. Did my symptom same with yours?
Mine would only make the noise when it was hot but it was loud enough for me to not drive it for fear i would be on the side of the road someplace. When the car was cold, you heard nothing. That's why it made it through 2 PDI's .
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM
9th Gear

Also, the dealer has been great (not the dealer I purchased from). The service writer rode with me to hear then noise. The second time, the technician rode with me so he could hear it. It was like a muffled clunk but no one disputed it being there. So I bought a TSX and I have been driving a RDX. Tomorrow (Wednesday) marks my first week of ownership and I have had my car in my possession less than 24 hours. :-(
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
9th Gear

Say goodbye to the TSX with less than 300 miles on the Odometer. I am now the owner of a brand new 2010 TL W/Technology and 18" tires and rims. They took very good care of me.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Racer

Say goodbye to the TSX with less than 300 miles on the Odometer. I am now the owner of a brand new 2010 TL W/Technology and 18" tires and rims. They took very good care of me.
what? what the hell happened to your TSX? the knock couldn't have been that bad of news...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 PM
9th Gear

The knock was so loud that at times, I didn't think it was safe to drive the car. The dealer offered to do an even swap for an identical TSX or upgrade for a very reasonable cost. I chose to upgrade. I can't believe they offered to do that without lemon laws getting involved but they did. They have to sell my old TSX as used and it's documented in Carfax. That bit of goodwill will bring me back to them.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Racer

The knock was so loud that at times, I didn't think it was safe to drive the car. The dealer offered to do an even swap for an identical TSX or upgrade for a very reasonable cost. I chose to upgrade. I can't believe they offered to do that without lemon laws getting involved but they did. They have to sell my old TSX as used and it's documented in Carfax. That bit of goodwill will bring me back to them.
That's nuts! They couldn't fix it??
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 AM
9th Gear

I am sure they could have and will. The dealer that i purchased the car from was not the dealer doing the service. They dealer that I purchased the car from knew I was unhappy that I had that car and it didn't perform as promised. They wanted to do something that would make me happy. That was one of the things they offered to do. I don't think it's nuts at all. If I bought a TV and it didn't work, I can exchange it. It makes no sense that we pay for a car that doesn't work and we have to continuously take it back until the get it repaired is insane. I applaud them for standing behind their product.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Racer

i agree with you, it's just that cars always seem to be the exceptions. goddamn dealerships.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the name of the dealership that offer to give you a new TSX or upgrade?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not sure if this is thr right post but I experienced a noise from the left bottom side of the dash. Sounds like its coming from the fuse box. This happens only when I turn on the car. But the car does start normally but just with that noise.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
everybody in the world should buy from that dealership, damn that is great service. My car clunks from stops and when I go over speed bumps it clunks in the rear. So I think I have 2 different clunks. I have not had time to take it in yet but I will in the next couple weeks.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Racer

yeah my car clunks underneath my feet from stopping and starting. I haven't had time to take it in either, too lazy. It seems to happen with more frequency the hotter it is outside.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 AM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its the hood making the noise. some have even been described as bad struts. and in a way the noise does sound like a bad strut at times. insufficient padding on the cowl cover weather strip. thats the cause
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
9th Gear

Well my TSX is now on the used car lot with 364 miles on the ODO. It was a sweet car and I really liked it. Of course, I love my TL
Old 09-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by eg5
its the hood making the noise. some have even been described as bad struts. and in a way the noise does sound like a bad strut at times. insufficient padding on the cowl cover weather strip. thats the cause
I think the insufficient padding causes hood vibration but not the clucking sounds. Mine clunks from the rear, when going over small bumps. Going to the dealer next monday. Sounds like a bad strut, but could be the body panel clearance issue that requires the wedges.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
My 2010 TSX has a knock in the front when slowing and when taking off as well. My dealer was unable to fix this as I complained about it the first day of ownership.

My car also has a rear end clunk when I go over speed bumps or pull in and out of parking lots. They were unable to fix this either.

It also has a rattle from the rear passenger side oh shit handle.

and

a rattle from the door handle underneath the tweeter on the driver side.

and worst of all........IT PINGS under heavy acceleration and sometime around 2500 at 45mph it will ping as well. The deal has not fixed this yet either. I am bringing it back to them this wednesday to perform a tsb which replaces the knock sensor. Hopefully this will fix this issue.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sincitytsx
My car also has a rear end clunk when I go over speed bumps or pull in and out of parking lots. They were unable to fix this either.
My car had a rear end clunk on both left and right side.
I took the Service Bulletin #09-019 to the dealer and the sound went away. Just be firm with the service adviser and make them install the wedge.

The service technician at my dealer stated there was enough space between the two metals at the rear jack point on the right side, but after 3 hours she installed the wedge. The sound went away.

I got the left side done today and the popping/clunk from the rear is gone.

This was posted by Ressling on another thread
http://home.comcast.net/~ressling/Ac...B%2009-019.pdf
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
^ My dealer ordered the wedge kit (they are apparently back-ordered). Visual inspection of both jack points shows that there is enough space and therefore, if you look at the latest version of the TSB, it is kinda within spec and should not need the wedge.. But it makes the noise.
The Tech said that he would install the wedges anyway, despite what appears the space being "ok".
So we'll see if the wedge install will solve the problem!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
^ My dealer ordered the wedge kit (they are apparently back-ordered). Visual inspection of both jack points shows that there is enough space and therefore, if you look at the latest version of the TSB, it is kinda within spec and should not need the wedge.. But it makes the noise.
The Tech said that he would install the wedges anyway, despite what appears the space being "ok".
So we'll see if the wedge install will solve the problem!
Yea it looks like it doesn't need it, but the wedge works.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear

I had this same issue that began around 4,000 miles. It became progressively worse the more I turned the steering wheel. The dealership had my vehicle for over a week and ended up replacing the front strut assembly. I haven't heard the noise since (knocking on wood).
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

Knocking noise from the right front area

My car has been in and out of the dealer four times with this same issue. I had the wedges installed and it didn't cure this issue. The wedges help a torsional noise that happens when entering or leaving elevated driveways at an angle. The noise I get is from stop when slightly accelerating or when stopping. Sometimes it makes it so loud it feels like the brakes are coming apart. My car only has 4,700 miles.

I really wanted to like this car but as soon as I get a chance ........ bye-bye Acura.