Interesting dealer experience - peeling grille molding

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting dealer experience - peeling grille molding

I have 2009 tsx 61000 miles, owned for 3.5 years.

A body shop helped ID my peeling trim problem as a TSB - 10-036.

I drove immediately over to Acura dealership where the service guy said he couldn't find "10-036" for my car. I showed him some Google results on my phone (I wasn't able to pull up the actual Honda tsb sheet). He insisted that the TSB I was looking at was part of a forum and not 'official' enough for him to act.

He said I could look at his screen, I did, it wasn't there. He showed me a screen full of jibberish... I offered to help him search but was in disbelief ... he obviously was in no mood to help. Somehow expected the lack of info on his screen to be proof I was out of luck....

He and manager said my only option was to call Acura and see if they could help. I came home and was able to find the TSB.

2 questions
1) is it possible the TSB could have been removed from the system and the service guy was being honest, or is he intentionally misleading me?

2) are these TSB's honored only during the 4yr 50,000 mile warranty? What are my odds of getting this fixed?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
does your VIN fall into the applicable range?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced

TSB says all 2009 cars. VIN range listed for 2010 only. I have 2009
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
I would contact another dealer.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
is your warranty up? if not its warranty work and they need to fix it. when I had mine done i sent the acura dealer a pic of mine peeling he ordered the grill and we went from there. and the new one is doing the same thing just not as bad.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
For sure if you call the Acura Client Relations/ Acura Corporate then they can verify if your car is under the TSB. If it is, then tell them that your dealer wouldn't do it, and Client Relations will then be able to call the dealership and authorize the repair.

That way when you take it in again, there won't be any confusions with the dealer.

I'm not sure if TSB's are accepted outside of warranty period, but I think the Client Relations will also tell you if they will honor your TSB.

You can google the phone number and it's real easy working with them. Just have your VIN ready and they should be able to look everything up, and let you know if you're covered.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by blutsx
For sure if you call the Acura Client Relations/ Acura Corporate then they can verify if your car is under the TSB. If it is, then tell them that your dealer wouldn't do it, and Client Relations will then be able to call the dealership and authorize the repair.

That way when you take it in again, there won't be any confusions with the dealer.

I'm not sure if TSB's are accepted outside of warranty period, but I think the Client Relations will also tell you if they will honor your TSB.

You can google the phone number and it's real easy working with them. Just have your VIN ready and they should be able to look everything up, and let you know if you're covered.
A TSB is merely an instruction sheet for a dealership on how to resolve a common issue.

While some TSBs are called "hidden warranties" as they instruct the dealer on how to bill Acura for out-of-warranty work, most are not. The TSB itself clearly explains how the dealer is to bill.

That doesn'tmean that Acura won't pay for out-of-warranty work even if the TSB is silent on non-warranty billing, but it takes some work on the customers part.

They need to write a letter (regular mail, using the United States Post Office) to Acura telling them that your car exhibits the same issues as the cars covered by the TSB and is within the warranty range, but since it is out of warranty the dealer wants to charge you and you are respectfully asking Acura to pay for the repair as it appears to be a known manufacturer's defect.

Be polite, concise and write the damn letter in proper English.

Some people have obviously had results by just calling or emailing Acura but nothing beats a piece of paper that they need to open, read and then put on their desk as a reminder to respond. Emails are just too easy to disregard.
The following users liked this post:
bagwell (01-31-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
I am in total agreement with the ceb'ster here. BTW, I swung by your place a few times this week and you weren't home

A well written letter in proper english is very important. Case in point. A good friend has a 2004 Honda Accord with a full maintenance history and work performed at a local dealership just had to put in a new engine in the car. He complained to Honda Corporate back in 2010 when the car started to consume oil (85K and way out of warranty). Long story short, he laid out his case and his history of being a loyal Honda customer in such a concise manner, Honda is working with him now to get him reimbursed for the engine replacement work he recently had performed. While this is a unique case but it does goes to show you that if you are articulate and courteous people will listen
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by benben01
I am in total agreement with the ceb'ster here. BTW, I swung by your place a few times this week and you weren't home

A well written letter in proper english is very important. Case in point. A good friend has a 2004 Honda Accord with a full maintenance history and work performed at a local dealership just had to put in a new engine in the car. He complained to Honda Corporate back in 2010 when the car started to consume oil (85K and way out of warranty). Long story short, he laid out his case and his history of being a loyal Honda customer in such a concise manner, Honda is working with him now to get him reimbursed for the engine replacement work he recently had performed. While this is a unique case but it does goes to show you that if you are articulate and courteous people will listen
ayo you creepy brah. totally gotta chill! watchu doin swingin by my boy Cebs crib? thinkin you welcome at his place of residents and shitz. you cray dude
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

ceb's cribo is really close to my cobbler/alteration expert. Besides, ceb lives in anonymity. Can't tell his house apart for all the 100 units all looking the same
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by benben01
ceb's cribo is really close to my cobbler/alteration expert. Besides, ceb lives in anonymity. Can't tell his house apart for all the 100 units all looking the same
Anonymity for the win...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i know where benben lives. and it is close to you Ceb. i will find you!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Be very scared Ceb... P. Diddy is a blood hound
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
CU2 TSXClass

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by poser
I have 2009 tsx 61000 miles, owned for 3.5 years.

A body shop helped ID my peeling trim problem as a TSB - 10-036.

I drove immediately over to Acura dealership where the service guy said he couldn't find "10-036" for my car. I showed him some Google results on my phone (I wasn't able to pull up the actual Honda tsb sheet). He insisted that the TSB I was looking at was part of a forum and not 'official' enough for him to act.

He said I could look at his screen, I did, it wasn't there. He showed me a screen full of jibberish... I offered to help him search but was in disbelief ... he obviously was in no mood to help. Somehow expected the lack of info on his screen to be proof I was out of luck....

He and manager said my only option was to call Acura and see if they could help. I came home and was able to find the TSB.

2 questions
1) is it possible the TSB could have been removed from the system and the service guy was being honest, or is he intentionally misleading me?

2) are these TSB's honored only during the 4yr 50,000 mile warranty? What are my odds of getting this fixed?

my opinion on that is go to a different dealer...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Racer

I noticed mine is peeling in the corner this last summer. I was just gonna buy a new part online. My car is just out of warranty and I don't want the dealer to work on my car. It looks like the silver material on the U shaped part of the grille is a film thats been applied to the black plastic underneath. It looks like vinyl really thats starting to come up.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to raise a dead-thread but...

Anyone have luck with the dealer replacing the grill for free? I just called some dealers and they advise it's such a technical repair bulletin and out of warranty cars are not covered.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
i replaced my 2010 grille due to peeling, i found an oem replacement at partsgeek, which worked, but honestly the fitment was not that great, it really took some muscling to get it to snap to the black mesh part of the grille then to the bumper.

but since i got the silver piece for under $50 and the black mesh piece for under $50 i couldnt complain for ~100 on a new front grille assembly.

my oem one, was really bad, peeling silver and black mesh was cracked.

heres a link
2009-2010 Acura TSX Grille Assembly - Body Mechanical & Trim - Action Crash 09-10 TSX Grille Assembly - 29960-04051358 - PartsGeek

2009-2010 Acura TSX Grille Moulding - Body Mechanical & Trim - Action Crash 09-10 TSX Grille Moulding - 29960-04043685 - PartsGeek