Installing aftermarket rear door speakers on 09 BASE TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:59 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installing aftermarket rear door speakers on 09 BASE TSX

hey guys

would anyone be able to tell me if the base 09 TSX (U.S)/Premium TSX (Canada) have the rear door speakers pre wired by Acura?

I am from Canada, and my Premium TSX has no rear door speakers, only the speaker covers for show.

Can I simply install aftermarket speakers there? I am planning on installing them myself if the wiring is there for me to just plug in the aftermarket speaker.

I have been reading a lot of DIY installation and i wanted to find out if the stock amp can handle the 2 rear door speakers/and if they are prewired for me to plug any speakers in. Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a fantastic question, I am shocked there are no speakers there. Can you visually see no speakers there with out taking the door panels off? If so take a look at another TSX, one equipped like yours, and see if it has speakers back there. Of all the places to cut back it seems an odd choice. If they truly don't have rear door speakers from the factory then it may be wired, simply to keep production costs down, but the amp probably won't power anything, it wouldn't be hard to test or check if you removed the door skin.

I just checked the Acura website, the base TSX is suppose to have a 7 speaker audio system including a 20cm sub. I have not even sat in a new TSX yet, but it should be 2 speakers in each front door, 1 speaker in each rear door and the sub probably mounted on the rear deck.

This is a very unusual problem, you may want to contact your dealership and talk to the service manager and see what they think, see if there is a part listing for rear speakers - maybe this isn't your problem at all! Be sure to post what ever you discover, I am quite curious.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iTimmy
That is a fantastic question, I am shocked there are no speakers there. Can you visually see no speakers there with out taking the door panels off? If so take a look at another TSX, one equipped like yours, and see if it has speakers back there. Of all the places to cut back it seems an odd choice. If they truly don't have rear door speakers from the factory then it may be wired, simply to keep production costs down, but the amp probably won't power anything, it wouldn't be hard to test or check if you removed the door skin.

I just checked the Acura website, the base TSX is suppose to have a 7 speaker audio system including a 20cm sub. I have not even sat in a new TSX yet, but it should be 2 speakers in each front door, 1 speaker in each rear door and the sub probably mounted on the rear deck.

This is a very unusual problem, you may want to contact your dealership and talk to the service manager and see what they think, see if there is a part listing for rear speakers - maybe this isn't your problem at all! Be sure to post what ever you discover, I am quite curious.
basically i went over to the dealership which i bought the car from and they said there are no speakers in the back doors. The 7 speakers include the front 2 door speakers, 2 tweeters, and the 3 speakers in the back deck (including sub), which equals 7.

On the ELS model there is 10, if I add the 2 rear door speakers and the front center deck speaker. I guess that adds up?

I phoned 2 other parts departments at other dealerships and they all say the same thing.

I am taking the speaker cover apart and see if there is anything behind the cover. So far without taking the cover off.. I do see a honeycomb outline.. but I think that is just the speaker grill design. I"ll let you know soon!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool! Thanks for the update, keep us updated! Seems odd they would put full range speakers in the rear deck with the sub instead of the rear doors, but weirder things have happened.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Sweet, make sure to take lots of pics. I might be planning on installing speakers in the rear doors also.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Sweet, make sure to take lots of pics. I might be planning on installing speakers in the rear doors also.
apparently the speaker grills are not attached by screws.. it is part of the door... unless i can pry it open but there is no opening... i believe i have to pull out the entire door piece to see what is behind the speaker grill......
Old 02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is how the first gen is so I suspect the second gen is no different (the grill being part of the door).
Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Any updates??

Here is what i was thinking: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-304/rearranging-non-tech-stereo-speakers-711857/
Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Any updates??

Here is what i was thinking: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711857
not yet... i tried following the steps on how to remove rear door speakers for the 1st gen. the link is somewhere here on the forum....

the door is similar but i could not pry it open and the instructions were for the 1st gen....

i think i may just bring it to a shop and see how much it will cost to simply add speakers to the back doors without modifying anything else... if thats possible..
Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep us updated, i have a base, and have thought about adding speakers to the rear doors also, if the doors are already wired, and if the amp can handle it. sub is junk, waiting for the bf to wire my jl audio 10w1 that had from my last car (was hoping the stock sub would be ok, so that i could save the trunk room)
Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Cruisin'

i installed speakers on my rear doors as well and no they are not prewired so i ran the wires from the rear doors to the back speakers behind the seats and connected them with the wiring that was already connected.. i did not want to at first because i thought it was going to steal power from the rear speakers but it did not so now i got a 9 speaker set up that sounds NICEEE!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Racer

Very cool!! How easy was it to connect the new speakers with the rear deck speakers?? Any vibrations in the rear doors when you turn up the volume?? Does the rear deck speakers sound any less vocal?? Lastly, what speakers did you put in the rear doors?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

i put in 6"x9" 4 way kenwood speakers. they sound really good the vocals sound loud and clear. and no it does not rattle what so ever but just so you know i had to customize the door panel by cutting the inside plastic because the speaker was to big and once the panel is on you cant even tell at all. i also had to bend the metal on the door because the magnet on the speaker was also too big but hey i wasnt about to return the speakers to get smaller ones so i worked with what i had but the outcome was incredible and the installation took a few hours but once you get the first speaker done the second speaker will be done in half the time trust me. it just took long cause i was trying to be real careful with what i did to not mess up the car.. well hope this helps
Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Racer

Very cool man...thanks!