Driver side door lock actuator fix

Old 09-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Driver side door lock actuator fix

So after dealing with an intermittent door lock actuator I finally was able to find the correct part. After doing some researching it appears Acura does not sell just the actuator. They sell the entire door latch assembly for over200$. After looking at the diagram on the 8g accord I was able to discover that the actuator motor is sold as a separate component based on specific door designation e.g. driver front passenger left right etc.this actuator motor was 40$ from Honda. Part number is 72150-TA0-A12
LATCH ASSY., L. FR. DOOR POWER

$42.94

So after receiving the part I dove into the replacement today. There is a YouTube video on how to take off the door panel if you search you can't miss it. When I have a chance I'll link it in this thread.

1. Once you remove the door panel you will need to disconnect all of the harnesses.
2. You will need to remove the lower plastic trim which covers the latch slot on the door. Be careful when removing as the snaps can break. Here you will also need to peel back the white plastic which is essentially glued in place with black tar like adhesive. This stuff gets all over your hands if you're not careful. There are two rubber grommets that hold the plastic in place I removed the one closer to the rear of the car.
3. Once you have removed the lower trim you will need to unscrew the three Phillips screws on the door lock actuator assembly. You can't miss these as they are where the door clicks into the latch slot. These screws were very tight for me and I had to use an impact driver socket with Phillips screw and a socket wrench to have enough torque.
After taking these out without stripping them there is one more screw holding the actuator assembly in place.
4. The interior door latch has two metal cables that are connected to the actuator assembly and you must ensure you don't damage them. There is also a long metal rod that attaches to the actuator assembly and you must reuse this part as the accord rod has a different shape.
5.there is a white clip that holds the metal rod to the interior of the door handle assembly. You have to unhinge the clip and carefully pull out the rod. Once that is out you can slide out the rod from the actuator assembly.
6.the actuator assembly must then be removed from the door. Be careful when removing as the door has support brackets which require you to wiggle out the actuator.
7. Once you have removed the actuator you can compare the new accord one to the Acura one. The Acura one has a plastic shield that makes the accord one look different. This shield can be removed by unscrewing the small Phillips screw that is securing it to the assembly. There is also some black foam tape that is holding it down which you will need to remove.
After taking that off you should be able to take the shield off.
8. Now you can see the two ccables that connect to the interior door handle latch. One has a bent s shape which is pressed into the white lever of the actuator. You can carefully pop this out using a flat head screwdriver. Be sure you don't bend the cable end.
The second cable has a metal loop on the end which must be unhooked from the actuator.
9. These two cables cam now be connected to the new actuator. The loop cable must be snapped in, and the s shaped wire can be pressed into the hole and slipped in place.
10. The hardest parts are now done. You will need to now wiggle the new actuator into the door and tuck it under the door support brackets inside the door.
11. The rod I had trouble with, i had to feel for the hole the rod goes into and press it in. Once you have the rod in place on the actuator you can secure one of the 4 screws to keep it in place so the rod doesn't come out.
12. The top of the rod will need to be pressed back into the hole it came out of on the top of where the exterior door handle is.
13. Finally there is a black cable that snaps to the actuator it runs parallel to the metal rod. You will be able to see it if you can see the rod. Replace the remaining screws and put the plastic back along with the black grommet.
14. Now you can snap the lower trim back into place and then align the door panel.
15. I made a mistake and didn't snap the cables to their slots / holders on the door latch plastic which caused the door lock to not move freely when locking or unlocking. Ensure the plastic guide/ holders have the cables secured properly.
16.reinstall all of the harnesses to their correct connections. Then secure the door panel and reinstall the screws in the door handle. There should be two.
17. Snap the door panel back into place and reinstall the removed door tweeter window switch panel and plastic covers.
18. Test out the door lock and ensure it works correctly.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2snail:
airx (04-10-2018), cbasssssss (06-27-2019), stewxQQ (03-17-2020)
Old 09-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Racer

i have attached the diagram of the assembly.

youtube video of panel removal.
Attached Thumbnails Driver side door lock actuator fix-actuator.png  
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Thanks for this! I need to tackle this project soon myself.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 TSX door lock actuator replacement

[QUOTE=2snail;15842051]So after dealing with an intermittent door lock actuator I finally was able to find the correct part. After doing some researching it appears Acura does not sell just the actuator. They sell the entire door latch assembly for over200$. After looking at the diagram on the 8g accord I was able to discover that the actuator motor is sold as a separate component based on specific door designation e.g. driver front passenger left right etc.this actuator motor was 40$ from Honda. Part number is 72150-TA0-A12
LATCH ASSY., L. FR. DOOR POWER
-----------------------------------------------------
2snail - many thank for a great actuator replacement write up. Passenger side actuator on my 2011 TSX Wagon stopped working at around 152K miles.I ordered an 8G accord part and replaced it as per your instructions. It a perfect fit!
Passenger side actuator part # is: 72110-TA0-A12 Latch Assembly, R Front Door Power ~$42-45 online
I had a little problem disconnecting the door latch cable from the interior door latch, as it was not clearly obvious how to undo the undo the white connector that holds the door latch lock cable and I was afraid of breaking it. For those who run into that problem, here is the photo showing how what connector opens:

new 8G accord and old 2G tsx actuators side by side

inside the door

The following users liked this post:
forward (02-22-2020)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Racer

i need to revisit this and order 3 more actuators, front passenger, rear passenger, and rear driver side actuators. Once i have time I can try to post some videos of the repairs.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part numbers - door actuators - 2012 TSX

Originally Posted by 2snail
i need to revisit this and order 3 more actuators, front passenger, rear passenger, and rear driver side actuators. Once i have time I can try to post some videos of the repairs.
Hey 2snail, I have a 2012 TSX (Special Edition, though doubt that matters). Been trying to follow these threads to figure out which part numbers I need to replace my actuators. Door opens and locks with the key, so I'm fairly certain the issue is the actuator/motor. Right now only my two driver-side doors are bad but figure I should order all 4 actuators as the others will likely fail eventually.

Can you tell me the correct part numbers? Also, appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thanks in advance.
Skipswift
Old 01-01-2019, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Hi 2snail.
I have a 2009 TSX and all four of the door actuators have failed as well as the trunk actuator.
Do you happen to have any links to the different part numbers for each of those [5] items?

Thanks.

David.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Skipswift
Hey 2snail, I have a 2012 TSX (Special Edition, though doubt that matters). Been trying to follow these threads to figure out which part numbers I need to replace my actuators. Door opens and locks with the key, so I'm fairly certain the issue is the actuator/motor. Right now only my two driver-side doors are bad but figure I should order all 4 actuators as the others will likely fail eventually.

Can you tell me the correct part numbers? Also, appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thanks in advance.
Skipswift
Hey @2snail , any chance you can share these part numbers?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Racer

hey all, please see the post above by airX, the part number 72110-TA0-A12. you will need to search online i believe amazon sells it too, but you need to get each door based on its description. Front right etc.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 PM
10th Gear

hey all, please see the post above by airX, the part number 72110-TA0-A12. you will need to search online i believe amazon sells it too, but you need to get each door based on its description. Front right etc. https://www.amazon.com/Passenger-Act...MKWPH22GZJ5BZW
​​​​​​So all four doors are same part number? Thanks @2snail .
Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Racer

all of the parts are not the same number.

Honda lists them by front or back. Also look at the third link for trunk,

Here is the rear: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...er-handle.html

Here is the front: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...er-handle.html

Here is the trunk: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...trunk-lid.html
Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM
10th Gear

all of the parts are not the same number.

Honda lists them by front or back. Also look at the third link for trunk,

Here is the rear: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...er-handle.html

Here is the front: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...er-handle.html

Here is the trunk: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...trunk-lid.html
Thanks @2snail . Was really struggling to confidently identify the correct part nums. Appreciated.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Dirty Terp

Talking

Wow, thanks 2snail for this write up. It solved my front drivers door and trunk actuator problems. I followed your step by step for the front door and the trunk was easy with just 2 bolts. I was looking for a while for this problem and somehow found this thread. People like you make this world a better place. thanks!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:57 PM
6th Gear

Did your locks make weird noise when unlocking before this became an issue? Mine sometimes make a ‘squeel’ noise when it’s cold out (Socal...so not so ‘cold’) and I’m afraid one or two are going out. Let me know thanks!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RevoMate
Did your locks make weird noise when unlocking before this became an issue? Mine sometimes make a ‘squeel’ noise when it’s cold out (Socal...so not so ‘cold’) and I’m afraid one or two are going out. Let me know thanks!
Yes, weird sound/squealing is exactly what the actuators on my 2011 TSX Wagon did before dying. I replaced the front passenger side a while ago, and one of the rears quit working last month. I replaced both of them at the same time, since the one that was still functional, was also making those weird squealing noises.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Door shutting and opening differently

Did anyone have any problems with their door shutting and opening properly after installation? My actuator works perfectly now (honda part), but my door is more difficult to shut and open. Any ideas of what I may have done wrong? Thanks
Old 06-04-2020, 01:14 PM
Racer

update. i bought a set of these on amazon i believe and they are oem style parts not oem. They ended up working but yes my doors are much hard to open and close. At first i thought the door was still locked. I the door strikers might need to be greased ( the metal loop that door latch clips to when you shut the door.) or the jaws of the actuator latch are too snug when they fit on the door striker loop. I need to see if maybe sanding down the jaws will help if grease doesnt.