The dreaded P0172 code

Search this Thread

Old Today | 08:18 PM
1st Gear

The dreaded P0172 code

Long time lurker first time poster. Looking forward to offering help to others. I do have an annoying issue I hope to fix.

2011 TSX with 205K Miles.
Fuel trims are way low, Short term is -25 and long term is -21 so it's running rich. I've replaced the following:
Plugs ( NGK IR)
Coils ( Delphi)_
MAF sensor
MAP sensor
Cleaned throttle body completely
O2 sensor done about 55K ago. It's OEM. Typically not the root cause for this problem but it's been done.
Air filter
Checked for manifold leaks and none found
Checked evap solinoid and it's closing completely
No exhaust leaks.
Valves adjusted 5000 miles ago

I did the timing chain at 185K when I got the P0304 indicating it was stretched. The compression on the engine is good, almost too good at about 230psi a cylinder. The intake cam has a sensor that must agree with the crank position sensor but the exhaust does not. I'm curious about the compression since it seems really high. If the exhaust cam was advance or behind the intake and crank would that yield high compression and possibly cause this issue?
I also replaced the actuators for the VTEC , both of them, when I did the timing chain. New cam sensor too at that time.

I'd like to get another 40K out of the car and 2 more years since I really like it. Gas Mileage is 34+ on the highway and it runs just fine with zero issues. Other than this code that comes up a few thousand miles after I pull the battery to reset the trims.

The only thing that gets me is it seems to happen after I go up a short steep hill near my office. It's a steep on ramp to the highway and twice the code has popped up after that hill. I suspected the Evap system was sending fuel in through the purge line but the valve is closed 2 min after engine start and it closes tight. Live data seems to support the fuel trims are being pushed down by the ECM in response to a rich condition.

Plugs didn't look bad or dirty. Light tan color.

I'm willing to go with another O2 sensor but most probably that isn't the issue. Before I tear off the valve cover I'd like to know what normal compression looks like for one of these cars and maybe the exhaust cam is out of time. I've done scores of timing jobs and was meticulous on this one but anything is possible. Fuel injectors are also named as culprits for this so maybe I need new squirters.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated