clunk coming form the rear when going over a small bumps!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk coming form the rear when going over a small bumps!

Hi everyone,

I have a clunk noise coming from the rear suspension every time I go over a very small bump with 5-10 MPG or pull in or out my garage. This sound like a loud shocks or something. I have heard it before, but I guess it wasn't that loud or I just did not notice it much. Anybody else experience it or have an advice?

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
There's a TSB for this. Unfortunately, it hasn't been honored all that much at dealerships from my understanding. I used to have it printed but can't seem to find it.

I forget the TSB # but it has to do with the plastic underbody "warping" or "popping" against either the shock or a few bolts near the wheel. I do not believe it is actually in the wheel well however.

The TSB addresses the issue and the fix is more or less some type of wedged material molded with a poxy to the underbody of the vehicle.

I know what you mean about the noise. It is annoying as hell to say the least. A lot of folks mistake this noise for the engine ping issue. This is separate. Hopefully there are others out there that will build off this post...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Thank you ressling. Did the dealer fix this for you? If someone has the TSB number will be great. I'm planning to go to the dealer and fix it. I have been noticing it ,but I guess it's got worse over time and not it makes the noise every time I drive slow. Any other opinions? Please help!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Advanced

I have the same exact noise coming from the right side rear passenger area. and I already confirmed it with the shop foreman. I've been waiting since January for them to call me because they need to order the repair kit to fix the noise. I bought my car last year in october! 2010 Tsx blk/blk here.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Acuraboi04
I have the same exact noise coming from the right side rear passenger area. and I already confirmed it with the shop foreman. I've been waiting since January for them to call me because they need to order the repair kit to fix the noise. I bought my car last year in october! 2010 Tsx blk/blk here.
-------------------------------------------------------
I have the same issue. Just got my 2010 and I heard the (exact) noise when I was coming out of a parking lot the other day. I pulled over and looked under my car, but didn't see anything.

Can you provide the bulletin # as soon as they fix it for you?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

I have the exact same cluck noise coming from the rear passenger area. I took the car to the dealer and they claimed to have fixed it but when i drove again i can clearly hear the noise still. please post if anyone finds a fix or the tsb-thanx
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
This was covered in another thread. The TSB #09-019.

Click on the pdf link below and print it out for the dealer:

http://home.comcast.net/~ressling/Ac...B%2009-019.pdf

ACURA Service Bulletin 09-019
May 18, 2009
Appies to 2009 TSX - ALL

Popping or Clicking from the Left or Right Rear Jack Point

SYMPTOM
There is a popping or clicking from the left or right rear of the vehicle when driving over bumps or through dips.

PROBABLE CAUSE
As the body flexes, burrs from spot welds in the rear jacking points contact other sheetmetal, causing a popping or clicking noise.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Install a wedge between the sheetmetal panels (in the inner side sill) that make up the jack point.

REQUIRED MATERIALS
3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive
P/N 3M-08008
(one tube repairs about 20 vehicles)

TOOL INFORMATION
Body Wedge Installation Kit: T/N 07AAD-TL2A140
(includes wedge, installation tool, and acid brush)
NOTE: This tool is available through the special tool loan program.
(Refer to Service Bulletin 98-015, Special Tool Loan Program.)

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

OP# Description FRT
8230B3 Rear side will panel (one side). 0.4
A Repair additional side sill panel. 0.4

Failed Part: P/N 65140-TL2-A00ZZ
Defect Code: 02401
Symptom Code: 04201
Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

DIAGNOSIS
Connect a ChassisEAR, then test-drive the vehicle to confirm that the noise is comming from the left or right rear jacking point. If needed, refer to Service Bulleting 00-024. Steelman ChassisEAR Diagnostic Tool.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

I took the car to the dealer with the same TSB a week ago. I did a test drive with a technician and he heard it. They fix the car for a less then a 45 min. Obviously the fix is very easy. Now the car is fine and there is no noise. Print the TSB and take it to the dealer.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
8th Gear

i've had my car in at the dealer for the past 4 days. i have this soft popping/rumble/click sound when i drive off my driveway, gently braking, and or going over discontinuities in the road. this sound is coming around the passenger rear area. the dealer says it's due to the play in the brake calipers... they tried looking for this issue on their own.... what do you all think? does it make sense? are your sounds really loud or are they soft?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gt tsx i have the same problem and this happen ever since they changed my brake pads, they should be able to fix em may be the backing plates(shims) or maybe brake Calipers
i going to take mine in next week
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Instructor

have you tried riding with your windows down to listen for that sound? and i know that they said that the noise is form the right side
Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 AM
8th Gear

thanks lopez205tx. can you ask them if there is a tsb on that and if they can provide you a pdf printout or something? my dealership took that attitude that it is the way it is....
Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Instructor

hey check this out Principle posted this

TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
08-040 AUG 08 Campaign - Trunk Lock Cylinder Update
TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
09-041 OCT 09 Engine Controls - Engine Ping On Heavy Acceleration
08-051 SEP 09 AcuraLink(R) - Control Unit Warranty Exchange/Repair
88-016 SEP 09 Electrical - Battery Testing And Replacement
08-054 AUG 09 Audio System - Poor Reception Diagnostics Update
09-034 JUL 09 Electrical - GR8(R) Battery Diagnostic Station Update
08-052 JUL 09 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC P2422 Is Set
09-027 JUN 09 Electrical - ED-18 Battery Analyzer Update Information
09-023 JUN 09 Body - Fuel Filler Door Detaches From Body
08-017 MAY 09 Navigation System - Set Up/Operation/Testing
09-019 MAY 09 Body/Frame - Popping/Clicking From Right/Left Rear
01-026 MAY 09 Computers/Controls - Updating Modules/Control Units
06-001 MAY 09 Audio/Navigation/RES - Warranty Exchange/Repair
06-034 MAY 09 Steering/Suspension - Vehicle Pulls Left/Right
09-016 APR 09 Body - Windshield Side Trim Retainer Loose/Missing
08-027 APR 09 Interior - Beverage Holder Lid Won't Open
09-009 MAR 09 Engine Controls - PCM Software Update Precautions
09-014 MAR 09 Body/Frame - Pop/Tick/Creak From Rear Shelf Area
09-010 MAR 09 Body - Trunk Lid Hinge Makes Noise
09-008 FEB 09 Interior - Driver's Floor Mat Contacts Clutch Pedal
09-005 FEB 09 Audio System - Speakers Sound Distorted
09-004 JAN 09 Audio System - Subwoofer Rattles/Hums/Sounds Distorted
08-058 DEC 08 AcuraLink(R) - Various Radio/Navigation Issues
08-050 NOV 08 Instruments - Time Display Randomly Changes
08-048 OCT 08 Audio/Navigation Systems - Glare Off Of Display Lens
07-027 SEP 08 AcuraLink(R) - Updating Control Unit Software
08-036 AUG 08 Body - 2009 Model Year Paint Codes
04-004 JUL 08 BULLETIN CANCELLATION NOTIFICATION
08-025 JUN 08 Body - Fuel Door is Hard to Open
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
4th Gear

Noise Issue from the right rear.

I also have the same issue on my 2010 TSX. The car has been in the dealer for five days. They have just informed me that they will be replacing the right rear shock. I hope this takes care of the problem but I am not confident that it will as I think its a bad shock absorber design. At any rate I'll keep everyone posted. This is my first Japanese car after 30 years of only driving American Cars. I gave up on the domestic but I have to say this is not a good start for me with the Japanese vehicles.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect my car had this issue for long time, but i just can not tell what is going on. I always feel when you drive through bumps or potholes you heard clunk sound coming from shock(suspension). I thought b/c the bumpy ride of TSX (b/c people complains about ride is not comfortable). Will you guys hear something from front shock as well or just rear?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alebena
I also have the same issue on my 2010 TSX. The car has been in the dealer for five days. They have just informed me that they will be replacing the right rear shock. I hope this takes care of the problem but I am not confident that it will as I think its a bad shock absorber design. At any rate I'll keep everyone posted. This is my first Japanese car after 30 years of only driving American Cars. I gave up on the domestic but I have to say this is not a good start for me with the Japanese vehicles.
The 2G TSX use a new dual-mode dampers/shock absorber, a first for Acura. It's possible one of the shock is defective which will explain the clunk sound. Below is what Honda/Acura said about the dual mode dampers.

DUAL-MODE DAMPERS
The 2009 TSX features dual-mode dampers, a first for an Acura vehicle. While most conventional dampers are tuned to provide a compromise between ride comfort and sporty handling at different speeds, the TSX's new dual-mode dampers are engineered to provide ideal damping rates at both low and high speeds.

With a typical suspension unit, damping forces rise with the speed of damper compression, such as occurs when the vehicle encounters road irregularities at high speed. This can cause significant ride harshness and noise that reduces passenger comfort and enjoyment. However the new TSX's dual-mode dampers are tuned to provide the ideal damping rates for comfort and smoothness at low speeds of damper compression, while also limiting the maximum damping forces to reduce ride harshness at higher speeds of damper compression.

In this way the 2009 TSX provides a wider range of comfortable ride quality and exceptional road holding under a wide variety of driving speeds and conditions.

Deflector plate technology
Acura's dual-mode dampers automatically adjust compression damping characteristics to suit the vehicle speed, cornering forces and road surface. The dampers use an ingenious "deflector plate stack" that deflects when the compression forces reach a certain level, such as when encountering a large bump or dip in the pavement at high speeds. When these severe forces act on an ordinary damper, oil cannot move quickly enough through the damping orifices and the effective damping rate climbs, resulting in an excessive shock transmitted into the vehicle body.

With the 2009 TSX's dual-mode dampers, when severe conditions are encountered, the plate stack deflects, allowing oil to pass through at a higher rate and in essence "capping" the damping rate at a preset level. Allowing an increased flow rate in extreme situations noticeably reduces the shock transmitted into the body while enhancing handling stability and road holding.

Deflection of the plate stack is carefully calibrated and controlled by spring pressure force on the plate stack. The simplicity of the dual-mode damper system also means that no electronics or movable valves are required.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

I fully understand your explanation but the noise if a bit annoying. Otherwise this car feels extremely solid. I hate to be a nagger but this is an issue that is clear as day. I am currently driving a loaner vehicle (2009 TSX) and it has the same issue. It even makes the noise over bad sections of roads. As I mentioned above the dealer is replacing my rear right shock but I'm guessing this will not solve the issue. In a previous car of mine I installed Edlebrock shocks which had the same noise. Safe to say I removed and returned those shocks and replace them with new factory shocks.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

Just got my 2010 TSX V6 back from shop today addressing this noise and a few other things. Apparently there is a service bulletin on this...they installed a shim kit on the right rear strut housing. Noise seems to be gone now.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
10th Gear

My car is 2010 TSX base. I got similar noise from the right rear, but it sounds like shaking a key chain. It is not loud but quite annoying. Is it the same problem as you mentioned?

I remove all stuff inside my car and looking for the source of that noise for several days, but I cannot figure out where it comes from... It almost makes me crazy.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK. Had the service bulletin done in October and I've begun to notice over the last week the wedge/shim(s) are not holding. The noise is returning. My concern is this becoming a catch 22. It's an Acura, this problem should not be happening but I don't see Acura wanting to continually fix it either since the original fix is not working. Do I call the dealership and have them document in my file? Ideas?

Last edited by 1bythesea; 05-26-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jiunlin
My car is 2010 TSX base. I got similar noise from the right rear, but it sounds like shaking a key chain. It is not loud but quite annoying. Is it the same problem as you mentioned?

I remove all stuff inside my car and looking for the source of that noise for several days, but I cannot figure out where it comes from... It almost makes me crazy.
Same thing in my 1mo old TSX base. Mine sounds half way between keys and loose change and also comes from the rear passenger side. I emptied everything from the car, stripped the trunk padding and even removed the rear seats to make sure there wasn't any loose change that could be causing the sound. I got a appointment at the dealer for next monday, we'll see what they say.

Oh and to top that off, I also have the rear deck creaking.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

Well I picked up my car at the dealership and they did fix the loose change sound from the right rear shock. As well as my creaking headliner noise. Now I have a noise coming from my front suspension or it could be from my front brake calipers. Its a thump sound everytime I takeoff from standstill. I am not a very happy camper with this car. I definitely did not have these same problems in my old CTS. I will not lie the CTS gave me a few problems but not like this and definitely not in the first year.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear

Have a 2009 TSX w/ Tech, Black/Black. Purchased in May 2009. Had this issue "fixed" several times now, but none have worked. Exactly as described above...I kept describing it to the technicians as a "jar of coins being shaken" each time I'd go over bumps at slow speeds. Took the car for many test drives w/ the shop foreman. Most effective was a set of 3 speedbumps in a retail parking lot. The foreman heard the noise about half as often as I did. Ended up replacing both left and right shocks. Did nothing. I DO notice that the sound is almost nonexistent in the cold weather (no sound all winter) but now has come back with the spring weather here in Boston. Have an appointment to replace some weather stripping above passenger side doors that fell off in the car wash...may call and have them order this TSB repair kit and see if that works. Radio is almost always on, but I notice it so much that it really takes away from enjoying such a great car.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

I just got my car back from the dealer. It was in for the "jar of coins" problem from the trunk and sadly, it's still there. They shimmed the brakes, they put some dampening material left and right. But clearly, they haven't changed a thing to the sound.

For those who have already fixed this problem, what does it say on your invoice?
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

This morning I had my car to the dealer to check with the clicking/"loose coins"/"jar of coins" noise. After few hours of inspection, they told me that it is normal on every 2009-2010 TSX... They verified on a new 2010 TSX and it also have that noise, and I also hear that noise on the 2009 TSX loaner car they gave me in the morning. They said that the clicking noise is from the shock. When you go over a bump, the fluid or something inside the shock will make that noise... However, I've never heard any similar noise on other vehicles! So I got my car back now, but I am still very confused about the noise. Can somebody who has fixed that noise share how they deal with the noise?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

I got the same answer from my dealer. I guess I'll need to crank up the volume
Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I had a "loose change" noise coming from my 2010 V6. Not sure it's the same type of noise everyone is talking about in this thread, but I found it was due to one of the gray boxes under the rear shelf. No pics, but it's the large metallic gray box that is bolted to the rear shelf, towards the left of the car.

I inserted some thick foam between the shelf and the box and the noise is now gone.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
I had a "loose change" noise coming from my 2010 V6. Not sure it's the same type of noise everyone is talking about in this thread, but I found it was due to one of the gray boxes under the rear shelf. No pics, but it's the large metallic gray box that is bolted to the rear shelf, towards the left of the car.

I inserted some thick foam between the shelf and the box and the noise is now gone.
I have a 2010 premium with the same issue. Could you please post pics?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Pro

Hi, here's a pic. You can see the gray box in the middle of the pic. To make sure that the hard foam does not fall off due to vibrations etc, I also inserted some white foam to "close", and tie-wrapped it.

You will also notice that I added white foam to "close" the 3rd brake light bulb area, as this was also vibrating (but was not the culprit in this case), as well as in between the empty channels near the shelf in an attempt to improve soundproofing, but did not notice any improvement...

https://acurazine.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=30857
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! stupid question, anyone know what that is? Is that a toolbox or something?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

That gray box is the GPS antenna.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Pro

Not sure it's the GPS antenna, as this pic is from a non-tech V6...
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 PM
10th Gear

This week I took my car to another dealer for the clicking sound from the rear. The service representative is an old man, and after a test ride, he said that he cannot hear the sound I mentioned. I asked him if I can have some other mechanics riding with us, and he said no, if he cannot hear the noise, they cannot do anything with it. I cannot believe it. Is it the Acura quality? That sound is annoying to me and no one knows how to fix it? I cannot believe that sound is normal for a 30K car!

Today I asked my friend to drive my car, and I lay at my trunk to looking for the source of the clicking sound. It seems that it comes from the upper part of the shock... It is not from the shelf.

I am going to schedule at another dealer next week...
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

jiunlin, take it to another dealer and they should replace the defective shock for you. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
10th Gear

Thank 09TSXTech! Tomorrow I will go to another dealer. Hope they can fix this annoying sound. I record the loose changes sound today, and I put the recorder on the top of rear shelf. You can download the mp3 file at "http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JPZLKX9X". That sound is high-pitch and just like shaking loose changes. It's not that loud compared to road noise but is very annoying!

Last edited by jiunlin; 06-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

Today I have a mechanic riding with me, but unfortunately, he cannot hear that noise either. I don't know why my friends and I can hear that sound but they cannot... I have nothing to do with it. Should I write a mail to Acura to describe my situation? Any suggestion?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

either put the seats down or have him ride in the trunk. I'm sure he'll hear it then. Some mechanics are just plain ignorant.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I just got this fixed yesterday morning. My car sounds like new now! No more annoying popping/cracking noise from the rear! YESS!

P.S. not sure what everyone is referring to with the shelf cracking, but for me this was the wedge installment (TSB #09-019) in the underbody of the car near the jack point.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
I just got this fixed yesterday morning. My car sounds like new now! No more annoying popping/cracking noise from the rear! YESS!

P.S. not sure what everyone is referring to with the shelf cracking, but for me this was the wedge installment (TSB #09-019) in the underbody of the car near the jack point.
I have been waiting for a few people to report back with what actually worked for their TSXs, and it seems like the TSB you referenced is what the issue is. Did the noise kinda sound like a rattling sound or almost like the rear strut was making a noise?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

i'm scared of this fix, the idea of having to hammer a wedge in the side skirt. Who knows how far the dealer will drive it up. A few posts up someone had to have to wedges installed.

Quick Reply: clunk coming form the rear when going over a small bumps!