Car Goes Limp; Gas Pedal Unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Goes Limp; Gas Pedal Unresponsive

Purchased 2011 TSX Wagon w/ Tech package from dealer in 2014. Shortly after purchase, I experienced what I call the car going limp when waiting for a car to pass before turning at an intersection; I had slowed to about 7-10 mph and then accelerated to make the turn. The gas pedal was unresponsive; I pressed it to the floor; nothing. I pressed it several times; nothing. No cel/warning lights on dashboard; radio still on. Then after a few seconds, the gas pedal responded and the car lurched forward now responsive to the gas pedal. This behavior continued sporadically for a few weeks before I sought help. The dealer from whom I purchased the care (Volkswagen) was unable to identify a cause. The local Acura dealer here in the Boston area kept the car overnight and said they did not experience this behavior. No codes were thrown or retrieved when local mechanic checked car out. However, it continued on since then and still pops up sporadically (at least once when I do my around town driving......today.

It does not happen at highway speeds. Outside temperature does not favor cold or hot for the problem to occur. It happens or at least I notice it happening ......when I am at slower speeds and I either go to turn or I've slowed down to 10 mph or so and go to accelerate.

I've been reading various posts here and don't seem to see this behavior reported...yet.
Any sleuthing hints greatly appreciated; I love the car and would love to squash this bug.
-Drew
Old 07-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dmirque
Purchased 2011 TSX Wagon w/ Tech package from dealer in 2014. Shortly after purchase, I experienced what I call the car going limp when waiting for a car to pass before turning at an intersection; I had slowed to about 7-10 mph and then accelerated to make the turn. The gas pedal was unresponsive; I pressed it to the floor; nothing. I pressed it several times; nothing. No cel/warning lights on dashboard; radio still on. Then after a few seconds, the gas pedal responded and the car lurched forward now responsive to the gas pedal. This behavior continued sporadically for a few weeks before I sought help. The dealer from whom I purchased the care (Volkswagen) was unable to identify a cause. The local Acura dealer here in the Boston area kept the car overnight and said they did not experience this behavior. No codes were thrown or retrieved when local mechanic checked car out. However, it continued on since then and still pops up sporadically (at least once when I do my around town driving......today.

It does not happen at highway speeds. Outside temperature does not favor cold or hot for the problem to occur. It happens or at least I notice it happening ......when I am at slower speeds and I either go to turn or I've slowed down to 10 mph or so and go to accelerate.

I've been reading various posts here and don't seem to see this behavior reported...yet.
Any sleuthing hints greatly appreciated; I love the car and would love to squash this bug.
-Drew
I drive a 2017 Hyundai Elantra for work. Your description is me everyday! hahaha Step on gas, nothing, always a lag on power. I think gear selection affects the response but then again it's a Hyundai....

Even with TSX manual I've experience this once or twice...but during hot, 3 digit temps.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 187 Posts
It's your car literally going into "limp mode". Much to find on the internet if you search it. It's basically your car telling you something's not right, possibly a sensor or issue with your transmission, electronics etc. Its happened to me only twice so far and only when I put the lighter flywheel on, both times I was half throttle riding in high rpm.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (07-31-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM
RTM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Lots of internet posts on Limp Mode with no codes thrown. Bummer

https://www.google.com/search?q=acur...utf-8&oe=utf-8