2012 TSX has random battery drain.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
They say it’s drawing too much but can’t say a whole lot because this starter was out on by another Acura dealer. It’s not like I went to a third party shop to get it done. Acura partnered with the shop - as a consumer can’t blame me for that.
Oh, that was a great call. Nope, you cant be blamed. Up to you if you want to get them to cover more. I've never had luck playing hard ball with dealerships when it wasn't absolutely necessary. In some aspect they could say sorry and kick you to curb being outside of warranty, but since you went in while you had the warranty and they didnt fix it you do have a valid complaint. I've called Acura corporate before and it was yet another person defending the dealership and telling me to go fly a kite.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
Oh, that was a great call. Nope, you cant be blamed. Up to you if you want to get them to cover more. I've never had luck playing hard ball with dealerships when it wasn't absolutely necessary. In some aspect they could say sorry and kick you to curb being outside of warranty, but since you went in while you had the warranty and they didnt fix it you do have a valid complaint. I've called Acura corporate before and it was yet another person defending the dealership and telling me to go fly a kite.
The service director at Continental Acura is the one that requested the good will repair which is why I’m even getting 75% covered. I called client relations a bit ago and they said there’s nothing further they can do and that the dealer is independent but makes their money off warranty repairs. It’s not that I disagree there but as a consumer I mentioned these issues before under warranty where it would be covered 100%. I would be willing to bet the part costs them less than $100 to manufacturer so their 75% discount is still making them a killing and they’re still screwing me over. But whatever, Acura is making their own bed here. Truth is, they’re losing a lot of future service visits and car purchases because I’m no longer recommending anything Honda related to anyone. I told them to go ahead and order the part but there’s a chance I won’t even go in and get it done. I am extremely close to telling Acura to shove it and trading in for a Subaru WRX. But hey, if Acura is okay losing what was likely a lifelong Acura customer over something so silly so be it. It’s not like I’m asking for something unjust. The issue has been around for far too long yet they only found it outside of warranty. I’ll give the dealership the benefit of a doubt but it still doesn’t save Acura face here.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Racer

For what its worth, with your Subaru get ready to PAY big for that turbo engine in service at the dealer. I also own a 2009 wrx. The thing is nickeling and diming me like mad. Way worse than any other Honda. So much random junk. Fuel pump, suspension parts, power steering pump, water pump, pulleys, hardened hoses, o rings, clips breaking, timing belt, radiator was replaced, belts etc. Just wait until you have a problem (and you will) with those cats on that Subaru. They cost over $2k just for the part. I was quoted over $3k so I could pass emissions. I almost had to pay that until I found an alternative way to pass. The car hasn't even hit 100k miles yet.

Unless you have deep pockets the WRX is not a low maintenance car once you start reaching higher mileage. Maybe their 2013+ models have gotten more reliable but I doubt it. It becomes a very expensive car to maintain.

Go get your nice MIJ TSX fixed and enjoy the car for what it is. The grass is not greener on the other side as far as being out of the dealership with a turboed Subaru. Not to mention, that Subaru is going to cost you ~$26K. That's a big jump from the TSX.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 PM
AZ Community Team

For what its worth, with your Subaru get ready to PAY big for that turbo engine in service at the dealer. I also own a 2009 wrx. The thing is nickeling and diming me like mad. Way worse than any other Honda. So much random junk. Fuel pump, suspension parts, power steering pump, water pump, pulleys, hardened hoses, o rings, clips breaking, timing belt, radiator was replaced, belts etc. Just wait until you have a problem (and you will) with those cats on that Subaru. They cost over $2k just for the part. I was quoted over $3k so I could pass emissions. I almost had to pay that until I found an alternative way to pass. The car hasn't even hit 100k miles yet.

Unless you have deep pockets the WRX is not a low maintenance car once you start reaching higher mileage. Maybe their 2013+ models have gotten more reliable but I doubt it. It becomes a very expensive car to maintain.

Go get your nice MIJ TSX fixed and enjoy the car for what it is. The grass is not greener on the other side as far as being out of the dealership with a turboed Subaru. Not to mention, that Subaru is going to cost you ~$26K. That's a big jump from the TSX.
Thanks, so far my buddies 2 year old WRX is holding up great but I hear where you’re coming from. Regardless, WRX or something else, this kind of stuff will push me to some other brand in the end. But in all honesty, I’m not getting a new car anytime soon. I should clarify that it would be a case of my new car down the road wouldn’t be an Acura with how I feel now. Which is a shame because i really love that TLX A-Spec Edition. But no, I won’t get a car with high upkeep. I thought they got better and rumor has it the 2020 model won’t use a boxer engine anymore but it’ll be Twin Turbo based off a Toyota engine.Side note: The local Subaru dealer has a lifetime warranty if you buy it from them. Wonder if the issues you experience would be covered?
Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM
AZ Community Team

I took the car to the shop today and they tested my cars draw with the remote starter which showed the car drawing a solid 48ma total between the starter and stock components. When disconnecting the remote starter the amperage dropped in half to 24ma so I’d say the starter is hardly my issue. However, they did find a pulsating draw of 17ma but neither them nor Acura have any idea what it is.

Also, Acura called and HFL module is in. $598 because even though they cover 75%, I’m responsible for the $133 in taxes. Lovely, right? Anyways, we will see how this goes. My battery is 100% charged using a Battery Tender charger that is certified to charge AGM batteries. If the car doesn’t start again I’ll actually disconnect the remote starter and see if removing those 24ma helps.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 PM
AZ Community Team

I had the new HFL unit installed on Monday but as of now it cost me $597 for the work. I have a complaint in with corporate that I am awaiting to hear back on because I don't believe I should be held responsible for that repair because I had mentioned this issue before. I'm not sure how far I'll get but at least I've made some progress so far. In the end though, I don't think anyone within this community would agree with being held liable for such a high dollar amount if they complained about the issue while under warranty. What makes matters worse is another customer I spoke with while I waited said his TL had the same issue a some years ago and the part was only $400 or so to replace. Gotta love how expensive the TSX part is...
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
I had the new HFL unit installed on Monday but as of now it cost me $597 for the work. I have a complaint in with corporate that I am awaiting to hear back on because I don't believe I should be held responsible for that repair because I had mentioned this issue before. I'm not sure how far I'll get but at least I've made some progress so far. In the end though, I don't think anyone within this community would agree with being held liable for such a high dollar amount if they complained about the issue while under warranty. What makes matters worse is another customer I spoke with while I waited said his TL had the same issue a some years ago and the part was only $400 or so to replace. Gotta love how expensive the TSX part is...
Best of luck. Any news on whether the new HFL unit helped with the parasitic draw?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts

I'm all onboard with the first part of your complaint,

but the comparing parts from different cars years ago lends zero credence to your argument.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I'm all onboard with the first part of your complaint,

but the comparing parts from different cars years ago lends zero credence to your argument.
Oh no, I’m not directly comparing them. I’m just saying go figure the part I need is $2000 while a TL part is cheaper. Kind of a smack my head just my luck moment. It’s not something I’ve ever mentioned to Acura as they’re obviously different parts. My dealer did joke with me though and say if I had a TL it would have been cheaper.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Best of luck. Any news on whether the new HFL unit helped with the parasitic draw?
I’m not sure yet because it’s been in the 40s and 50s so the battery wouldn’t be strained due to the cold weather. But Acura did tell me the new unit is drawing 0ma when shut down compared the 220ma before. But I will say everything sounds stronger now including the clock my door locks make. Also, the battery isn’t struggling to start even though I charged it before the -10 degrees temperature hit but I don’t want to jump to conclusions as it’s been warm for days and I drove it a bit. It’s colder now so I’ll be updating this thread sometime within a week with results.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-12-2018 at 12:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
TSX1012m6 (01-12-2018), xtcnrice (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Racer

Glad to hear your getting it worked on! If it makes you feel any better the HFL unit for the Tech package (Part is called the Hands Free Telephone unit) costs $1,100 outside of dealer inflation cost. https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...h-39770tl2a21/

Although it can be had on fleabay for $200. Not sure if it requires programming though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-14...2/232487554129
Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Glad to hear your getting it worked on! If it makes you feel any better the HFL unit for the Tech package (Part is called the Hands Free Telephone unit) costs $1,100 outside of dealer inflation cost. https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...h-39770tl2a21/

Although it can be had on fleabay for $200. Not sure if it requires programming though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-14...2/232487554129
I don’t trust eBay sellers in some cases and electronics on a car is a big one. Especially seeing as the unit you listed is used and could also have the draw issue. But given that I paid $597 for the repair I still came out ahead even with dealer inflation on a new unit. But still, I’m not happy about it and rightfully so.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 PM
AZ Community Team

The car sat in fairly cold weather for 2 days without being driven and started up just fine. I’ve driven it quite a bit after fully charging it so it’s not like it normally sits. It snowed about 4-5 inches overnight and dropped to almost 0 yet it started within 2 seconds. Much better.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 PM
AZ Community Team

The car sat in fairly cold weather for 2 days without being driven and started up just fine. I’ve driven it quite a bit after fully charging it so it’s not like it normally sits. It snowed about 4-5 inches overnight and dropped to almost 0 yet it started within 2 seconds. Much better.
Update - the car died overnight. Funny part is my battery is 440cca but my brothers 2001 Cavalier has a 700cca and that car is very basic. I fit a 720cca/900ca Optima Red Top into my TSX so it significantly increases my battery capacity.

Acura really went tiny in the 4 cylinder
Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM
AZ Community Team

I’m just having a wonderful time with this car over the last two months aren’t I?

1. Replaced the HFL ($600)
2. Replaced an undersized battery with a larger Optima Red Top (430cca stock up to 720cca now, $255 after tax)
3. While driving today without anything hitting it my mirror cracked after heating up from the warmers. (To replace, it’s a $116 part and $60 labor)

I have no idea why it randomly cracked other than possible the temperatures being 60 with rain yesterday then dropping to 25 with freezing rain and snow mix. The crack happened once it warmed up from the heated mirror. Bad luck, what’s next?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
the mirror is $50 cost OEM@
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jzhu625
the mirror is $50 cost OEM@
I should really look into this. $118 is a lot of money.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Ever since replacing both the HFL and upgrading to the larger battery I’ve had no issues at all. It’s nice not having to worry if the car will crank.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:53 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since replacing both the HFL and upgrading to the larger battery I’ve had no issues at all. It’s nice not having to worry if the car will crank.
hi, what is the part number to replace the HFL? what upgraded battery did you buy?