2011 TSX Sportwagon Rear Bumper Paint Split?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014 | 11:40 AM
6th Gear

2011 TSX Sportwagon Rear Bumper Paint Split?

2nd owner of this car...purchased about 4 mos ago. Noticed newly split / peeling paint on rear bumper after the car was parked in a parking lot this morning. There was no sign of any impact and it wasn't like this when I parked it. I still have about 1yr of factory warranty, so I plan to ask the dealer to look at it also.

Any one have any ideas on the cause? Will this be covered or am I own my own for a repair?

Old 04-27-2014 | 01:00 PM
Graphite Ghost

its worth the ask at the stealer but I wouldnt expect any help with that. my opinion of course.
Old 04-27-2014 | 02:09 PM
6th Gear

I just find it crazy that the bumper was fine one minute and two hours later it looked like this. I was parked in the sun and live in FL. I've never seen paint do this on any car I've had before...
Old 04-27-2014 | 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

there are water spots on the bumper where the paint should be implying that this damage was there and was wet before it was photographed OR that they were there and are further under the paint and it peeled due to a bad paint job.

Factory Paint should not peel up like that since it's prepped very well. It could be that you have had the bumper repainted in the past. Check for a VIN sticker on your bumper and any tape lines along the bumper.
Old 04-27-2014 | 04:18 PM
6th Gear

@csmeance The water spots are from the sprinklers we have near the house. I'm guessing your second theory is correct and that the bumper has been repainted (poorly), started to peel slightly and water was getting in there making it worse. Sounds reasonable. What is the recommendation from those of you who've dealt with repainting? Body shop vs. dealer and rough cost?
Old 04-27-2014 | 06:40 PM
wagon owner

I'd note this...
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/many-ho...130000535.html

And see if it extends to acura brand. I have a 12 wagon so far crossing fingers
Old 04-28-2014 | 06:54 PM
6th Gear

Dropped it off at the dealer today to have some other warrantied work done..replace dash (bubbled slightly) and passenger door trim that is deformed. Will let you know if they'll cover the paint job.
Old 04-28-2014 | 09:19 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

That has been repainted for sure... Unfortunately i doubt the dealer will cover it.
Old 04-29-2014 | 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by badleroy
I just find it crazy that the bumper was fine one minute and two hours later it looked like this. I was parked in the sun and live in FL. I've never seen paint do this on any car I've had before...
Florida heat is a beach. I hadn't driven my car in almost a week and notice a shit ton of lovebugs outside. Killed about 5-6 with my front bumper and even more with my windshield. FML
Old 04-29-2014 | 11:52 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The somewhat dull reflections on the face of the bumper would lead me to believe that there was a respray involved. It could also be a bad photo.

Are the door sill plates still covered in the blue protective plastic too? The blue on the trunk trim could indicate a selling dealer who left it on or it could indicate replacement parts following an accident.
Old 04-30-2014 | 01:35 PM
6th Gear

@ceb The car had been in an accident according to Carfax report, but when I pulled the accident report the damage shows as passenger door area, not rear end. Also, yes about the blue covering.. previous owner left it on all the sills including the driver/passenger door areas.

@rawger No kidding. It sun here will literally melt buttons/controls on your radio and steering wheel. Also, headliners tend to fall down faster here from what I've seen.

Dealer has had my wagon Monday morning and no word yet. Still waiting for a verdict on the bumper.
Old 04-30-2014 | 02:57 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

@ceb The car had been in an accident according to Carfax report, but when I pulled the accident report the damage shows as passenger door area, not rear end. Also, yes about the blue covering.. previous owner left it on all the sills including the driver/passenger door areas.

@rawger No kidding. It sun here will literally melt buttons/controls on your radio and steering wheel. Also, headliners tend to fall down faster here from what I've seen.

Dealer has had my wagon Monday morning and no word yet. Still waiting for a verdict on the bumper.
That rubber molding looks odd as well. I'll have to check my car tonight.
Old 05-02-2014 | 07:20 AM
6th Gear

OK, the verdict is in... that bumper, the hatch, and both passenger doors were previously repainted. I knew about the doors, but not the bumper when I bought it. So, dealer can't cover it and said whoever painted it used cheap/poor quality paint. They did, however, replace my dash which had developed some small bubbled areas from sun under warranty.

Anyone know how much it costs to strip and completely repaint a bumper on this vehicle?
Old 05-02-2014 | 09:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

OK, the verdict is in... that bumper, the hatch, and both passenger doors were previously repainted. I knew about the doors, but not the bumper when I bought it. So, dealer can't cover it and said whoever painted it used cheap/poor quality paint. They did, however, replace my dash which had developed some small bubbled areas from sun under warranty.

Anyone know how much it costs to strip and completely repaint a bumper on this vehicle?
I'd say $300. The paint was probably fine but they didn't add flexing agent which is required for plastic bits.

Did you buy it from a dealer? If so, then they should cover it as they failed to disclose the extent of the damage.

FWIW, if the side, bumper AND hatch were repainted then the car undoubtedly took a pretty bad hit.

Look at the rails under the car (behind the front wheels - you can see it by leaning down with a flashlight). If there is a waffle pattern on the rails then it has been on a frame straightening machine.
Old 05-02-2014 | 05:54 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

I believe it's now standard practice for dealers to respray bumpers on trade in cars as to make them look a bit nicer.

My car has had its front and rear resprayed but has NOT been hit... we put it up on a lift and made sure of it before buying.
After looking at 20-30 cars, I found more than half of them had resprayed bumpers.

The problem is that they do a bad job on the respray... and then this happens.