2010 TSX w/ Tech Pkg: Rear Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 TSX w/ Tech Pkg: Rear Clunking

My car is great! I've always kept up with maintenance and repairs (nothing major/no accidents). Over the past year or so, I've had the shocks, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings replaced, along with recent 4-wheel alignment. Whenever I drive over a slightly bumpy road, I hear a clunking from the the rear suspension. The techs at my dealership were unable to duplicate the condition and found all parts to be good and tight.... hummm. In your opinion, what else would be causing the issue. The vehicle has 152,000 miles on and this issue is relatively new. I'm thinking possible bad control arm bushings? Is that possible. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It definitely could be bad control arm bushings. The rear suspension setup for the 2nd gen TSX has 3 arms on each side mainly used to align the rear, and the fourth is a upper control arm with a balljoint. I would say it could also be the balljoint back there. I had my front upper balljoint start to go bad at at 180k miles where it would occasionally pop when I turned the wheel, but the noise would disappear for a day or two if you jacked the car up. I went through the same thing where I was replacing most of the front end (which needed it anyway) until I finally found the problem. It was very strange because even when I took it off it felt very similar to the other side that had no issues. When I replaced them I have not had an issue since.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:18 AM
Bonehead

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With my wagon, (I don't know if it's the same with the sedan) I sometimes got what sounds like a clunk in the back. It turned out to be the rear seat latch, you know where the seats latch after you put them back up after having them down. A little thin strip of rubber fixes it all up. Worth a check.