Meh new PWP TSX w/Sport Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Meh new PWP TSX w/Sport Bumper

Howdy peeps,

Well I took delivery of my new Premium White Pearl/Ebony '09 TSX 6MT w/Tech Pkg on Friday afternoon. Totally loving it. Got the car home and 3 hours later I removed the bumper and intake resonator, then replaced the bumper with the OEM Sport Bumper. It felt so wrong to be immediately de-flowering my beautiful new 30k car, but eh, what are you gonna do? Its gotta happen eventually... lol

Here are pix of the destruction...

Yes thats a bunch of clips and screws haphazardly strewn about my garage floor, don't worry I didn't have any parts left over when I was done.

All of the pieces that detach from the bumper, waiting to be transferred to the new bumper. Its quite impressive how much engineering went into funneling air into the radiator.

Bare front end w/resonator removed.

Afterwards:

Hope you all enjoy the pix. My wife and I are loving the car.

The intake sounds great with the resonator removed. After examining the pieces that came out of the car, I have some ideas about how to possibly build a ram air system out of the stock intake pieces. I'll report back if I have any success.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Patiently waiting ...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yum. Thx for the great pix.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
that PWP looks clean. First time I've seen one with the sport bumper. congrats
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
wow...always a fan of the rear of the new TSX but this bumper made me like the front! Great job...and great job removing the resonator...just did this to my 04 TL and am loving the free mod too!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mucter-
That looks awesome! How much did the front sports bumper cost (and where did you get it)? Also, how long did it take you to do the swap? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Racer

Thanks guys.

I didn't really care too much for the OEM bumper, and when I saw the sport bumper on another TSX, that's what sealed the deal for me on buying a TSX.

I paid $600 from my dealer for the bumper. Retail is $780 or something. I just told them that I could get it off the internet for about $600 shipped and they matched the price. It didn't hurt that I was buying my car from them the same day though.

It took a couple hours to do the swap, maybe an extra 30 minutes to get the resonator out. Not a difficult job.

And FYI, the bumper will not fit inside the TSX, so if you go to buy one, take a car with a larger cargo area... haha

Last edited by mucter; 04-20-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Instructor

I can't be the first one that thought of this right?

VS

Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
wow very sexy looking car. PWP was a good choice Just one question though, why did you remove the white styrofoam on the rebar?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
That's Pimp... great work!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ttk5
wow very sexy looking car. PWP was a good choice Just one question though, why did you remove the white styrofoam on the rebar?
It fell off when I removed the bumper, I reinstalled it when I put the bumper back on.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Racer

where is the intake resonator located? what is the purpose of it?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Racer

and do you think there is any performance gain by removing it? i know it def sounds better.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mucter, the sports bumper looks great. What was your old car before getting the TSX?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 PM

It's to tone down the sound of the engine etc...I have noticed an increase in acceleration with it removed. Call me crazy but I'm the only one that matters to me.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Racer

Removing the intake resonator makes the engine sound SO much more mean. Its located in the driver side wheel well. With it removed it makes the intake pull air from the wheel well, like a CAI, and it removes a ton of restriction. So I'd be really surprised if it didn't make an extra 8-10hp with it removed, yeah I don't have anything more than the butt dyno to tell me that, but based on the results of the aFe CAI, its probably not far off. AND ITS FREE, lol.

-

I sold my '02 RSX Type-S to buy the TSX. It had CAI, IMG, DCRH, 05-06 Exhaust, KPRO, A-Spec Suspension, etc..

It was quick. But ultimately, I need to have a 4dr car for some excursions, and the '08 Civic Si my wife drives is so much like the RSX, we couldn't justify having both.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced

You only have the sport bumper for the front?

And Im Jealous! lol
Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Racer

yup, only the front. I like the stock rear bumper, yeah the sport rear is better than stock, but I didn't -need- it. And after dropping a $6k down payment on the car, I didn't have a lot extra for accessories.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mucter
yup, only the front. I like the stock rear bumper, yeah the sport rear is better than stock, but I didn't -need- it. And after dropping a $6k down payment on the car, I didn't have a lot extra for accessories.
I thought about doing that, but I'm lucky to even be getting the car. I'll tint the windows before I do anything else to it.
After that, if I can, Maybe a CAI.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Congrats mucter, you work FAST! The bumper looks great, and the car pretty much confirms for me that the TSX is the best execution of the power plenum (even though technically, it was an afterthought).

As for the resonator delete,good work. I know this might be blasphemous for some, but if you want to DIY a system, I saw some ready made parts at either Pep Boys, Kragen or whatever car parts retailer is by you. Some tubing, a couple of elbows, some hose clamps and a velocity stack facing into the wind might be all you need.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Racer

Removing the intake resonator makes the engine sound SO much more mean. Its located in the driver side wheel well. With it removed it makes the intake pull air from the wheel well, like a CAI, and it removes a ton of restriction. So I'd be really surprised if it didn't make an extra 8-10hp with it removed, yeah I don't have anything more than the butt dyno to tell me that, but based on the results of the aFe CAI, its probably not far off. AND ITS FREE, lol.

-

I sold my '02 RSX Type-S to buy the TSX. It had CAI, IMG, DCRH, 05-06 Exhaust, KPRO, A-Spec Suspension, etc..

It was quick. But ultimately, I need to have a 4dr car for some excursions, and the '08 Civic Si my wife drives is so much like the RSX, we couldn't justify having both.
thanks man, ill def be removing the resonator when i get the car, and ill install the hid fogs while i have the bumper removed i guess.

also, how would you compare straight line performance of your old rsx vs. the tsx. im asking because im about to trade in my rsx for the tsx for the same reason (need 4 doors.)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
yea the resonator definitely makes a sound difference and seems to kick in a bit harder while at WOT, i was planning to do a short ram or CAI by cutting the box near the tube part, and then go out and buy a K&N cone filter sticking it in. The sensor should be fine since you'll be cutting after the sensor.

or just wait for the CAI lol
Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Farage
thanks man, ill def be removing the resonator when i get the car, and ill install the hid fogs while i have the bumper removed i guess.

also, how would you compare straight line performance of your old rsx vs. the tsx. im asking because im about to trade in my rsx for the tsx for the same reason (need 4 doors.)
Just sold my 05 RSX Type S BOM for a 04 TL 6MT...and I couldn't be happier. When I test drove the RSX I also drove the TSX and I wasn't pleased with how slow it felt. I believe quarter mile time was the same on the RSX and TL and the torque on the TL makes you FEEL the accel. a lot more. I DO miss the 8400 redline though...

Look into a used TL, IMO...just an idea.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Racer

Yeah the 4300rpm VTEC and 8600rpm redline that my RSX had w/KPro was addictive. The RSX was significantly faster than the TSX. I sold the RSX to a friend, so sooner than later we'll do a drag and I'll be able to give you guys a good realistic comparison of performance.

I have to say that I do feel the extra 30ft lbs of torque on the TSX vs the RSX, but the top end pull of the RSX makes a huge difference. I doubt that a stock RSX would be much if any faster than the new TSX, but mine was far from stock

The TSX has 2, yes 2 Cats, so I can imagine that removing just one of them would make a good dent in extracting some more oomph from this engine. I'm excited for an aftermarket company to come along and make a downpipe to replace the cat that's attached directly to the block.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Racer

yea the top end of the type-s is addictive as hell hehe. and im def looking forward to 30 more tq.

it has 2 cats?? one on each side or just two in a row?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Racer

There is a cat attached directly to the head instead of a normal header, then about a foot farther down the exhaust line, theres another cat. It's so they could achieve a CARB certified ULEV rating for this vehicle.

I'd put money down that the cat attached to the head is the sole reason the '09 TSX makes less BHP than the '08 TSX. Stupid emissions standards.

But it means there should be easy power to get out of this engine as soon as someone develops a downpipe to replace the first cat. You could probably take out the second cat and get a straight pipe welded in, the 02 sensors are both attached to the first cat, not the second.

With no cat, single exhaust and simple intake resonator removal, there's probably 25-30 more HP to be had out of this engine. SOMEONE MAKE THE PARTS... lol
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Racer

thats gona be one loud bitch
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Gotta..

WOW nice post you have!!! I want that bumper so much but I spent money on 2 cars so couldnt feed more with my salary ...
btw, does it have any negative effect to remove the intake resonator??? How long did you remove that thing?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Racer

LOL.... yeah, thats if you want maximum go. I'm sure that it would be nice with just no cats and leaving the dual exhaust in there.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Davan
WOW nice post you have!!! I want that bumper so much but I spent money on 2 cars so couldnt feed more with my salary ...
btw, does it have any negative effect to remove the intake resonator??? How long did you remove that thing?

ZERO negative effects. It just makes it louder, and its a good louder. It makes the engine sound tasty. I really don't see any reason to spend any money on a CAI, the car sounds great. And by removing the resonator, you get rid of most of the restriction in the system. So it has to make more power, now we just need to open up the exhaust.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Racer

i installed an injen short ram on the rsx and i dont remember there being a resonator. does the rsx lack one or did i miss it?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Racer

Dunno if any of you are into suspension, but I pulled off the wheel to have another look at my intake ideas, and I took some pix of the suspension. After dealing with Honda's stupid MacPherson Strut setup on the RSX and 7th gen Civic, its refreshing to get back to the tried and true Double Wishbone setup that the Civic/Integra made so famous in the 90's

There's an interesting thing in this picture, if you look right under the transmission casing, you can see that there is a torque dampener connected to the bottom of the transmission that sits in a recession on the subframe. Its cool how over the last few years, Honda has fixed their wheel hop problems related to engine movement.

That was a huge problem on the RSX, so much so that it would damage aftermarket headers if not kept in check.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Farage
i installed an injen short ram on the rsx and i dont remember there being a resonator. does the rsx lack one or did i miss it?
lol, yeah I still have the stock RSX intake in my garage. It does not have a separate resonator, just a HUGE airbox with multiple chambers that do the job all in one package.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Racer

wow thats awesome with the dampener. i got my motor mounts replaced by the dealer last month because of all the engine movement lol. the vibration in the car was terrible with the busted mounts! now its as smooth as butter.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Racer

yeah, right before I sold the RSX, I replaced the front motor mount myself, it was completely torn.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Gotta..

ZERO negative effects. It just makes it louder, and its a good louder. It makes the engine sound tasty. I really don't see any reason to spend any money on a CAI, the car sounds great. And by removing the resonator, you get rid of most of the restriction in the system. So it has to make more power, now we just need to open up the exhaust.
I talked to my car shop today, he is wondering if the engine light turns on. Cuz everything is controling by car computer now and it may affect the sensor to go error...huh...
Sorry about asking so many Qs but I wanna do this mod safely! And how long did you do it after all?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Davan
I talked to my car shop today, he is wondering if the engine light turns on. Cuz everything is controling by car computer now and it may affect the sensor to go error...huh...
Sorry about asking so many Qs but I wanna do this mod safely! And how long did you do it after all?
No it won't affect the Mass Air Flow sensor, as that is located after the filter, and this doesn't affect the filter at all. It just removes the box below the filter that makes the engine quiet and restricts the flow of air to the filter box. I've put 200 miles on the car since I removed it and haven't had a single issue.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Gotta..

No it won't affect the Mass Air Flow sensor, as that is located after the filter, and this doesn't affect the filter at all. It just removes the box below the filter that makes the engine quiet and restricts the flow of air to the filter box. I've put 200 miles on the car since I removed it and haven't had a single issue.

Thx for reply bro!
Damn you make me thinking about purchasing bront bumper now...
Oh one more thing...
Do you feel our PWP TSX a bit yellowish color if park beside some IS or civic white? I felt a bit weird to my car, dont know if you feel that way too.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Racer

Yeah the PWP is definitely a pearly color, not just the pearl clear coat, but the color itself. It really depends on the lighting. It's not a stark white color. All the same, I think its sexy as hell and am 100% satisfied with "white" on this car. It is exactly what I wanted.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Racer

the tsx white is definately pearly. the civic is flat white or as i like to say, coke white haha.

Quick Reply: Meh new PWP TSX w/Sport Bumper