Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spacers

Hate to be that guy who posts the 5th thread on spacers, but unfortunately the search function isn't that great. I was successful using google while referencing the forum. In any case, I've read a lot about this type 1 type 2 spacer...type 1 is the traditional which I have seen on my Golf where you attach the spacer to the rim, and attach with longer bolts.

Type 2 (looks like what both our fronts and rears require) are bolted on to the hub and include extended bolts for us to attach the rim to and then our "caps" correct?

The only reason I am confused is that on some of the websites I went on to purchase the spacers, I click acura, tsx 09+ and they take me to the traditional type 1. Does anyone know a reputable online merchant where I can buy some spacers. I want to be flush on stock SE rims (17), so I'm thinking 15 in front 20 in back?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTSX
Hate to be that guy who posts the 5th thread on spacers, but unfortunately the search function isn't that great. I was successful using google while referencing the forum. In any case, I've read a lot about this type 1 type 2 spacer...type 1 is the traditional which I have seen on my Golf where you attach the spacer to the rim, and attach with longer bolts.

Type 2 (looks like what both our fronts and rears require) are bolted on to the hub and include extended bolts for us to attach the rim to and then our "caps" correct?

The only reason I am confused is that on some of the websites I went on to purchase the spacers, I click acura, tsx 09+ and they take me to the traditional type 1. Does anyone know a reputable online merchant where I can buy some spacers. I want to be flush on stock SE rims (17), so I'm thinking 15 in front 20 in back?

Thanks in advance.
I was waiting for another user wont mention names... Moarrlow to do it. When you do it then I'll buy mine. In the mean time feel free to look at all of the DIY I have created for new users like yourself. Thanks brahhh.
The following users liked this post:
6MTSX (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
I'm assuming you want "type 2" spacers. There's a minimum size for the spacers with the studs attached to them because if they're not thick enough the stock studs will stick out pass the spacer and you won't be able to attach your wheels. That being said I believe you can get away with 25mm spacers on stock wheels for the whole car (do more research some one on here has that set up). Brand wise i see Ichiba v2 to be the most popular which you can easily get off eBay but some members on this forum use Akata spacers and say they work just fine and are about half the price of Ichiba.
6MTSX (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your help guys. Coming from the (VW) Vortex is a nice change of pace.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
When I was looking at version 2 spacers, the two brands I considered were Akata and Ichiba because these spacers come hubcentric. The project kics spacers require rings which I would rather not deal with. Akata is affiliated with vossen and Rockstar over in the 3rd gen TL sections wrote a good review on em. I chose not to go with type 2 spacers though because of the horror stories ive read all over the web on broken studs. I know these stories only come from a very small percentage or people using spacers, but I did not want to risk anything. The spacer itself is pretty much the same quality for all brands, its just a hunk of metal. The dangerous part are the studs, which, if your unlucky or did not torque them properly, can break on you while your driving. This applies to version 1 and version 2 spacers.

So I bought ARP studs which are some of the strongest studs out there, and bought 15mm spacers from Novustech. Smaller company that is Canadian based like me and offers a life time warranty.

Make sure your spacer is a 64.1 hub bore size.
6MTSX (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ttk5
When I was looking at version 2 spacers, the two brands I considered were Akata and Ichiba because these spacers come hubcentric. The project kics spacers require rings which I would rather not deal with. Akata is affiliated with vossen and Rockstar over in the 3rd gen TL sections wrote a good review on em. I chose not to go with type 2 spacers though because of the horror stories ive read all over the web on broken studs. I know these stories only come from a very small percentage or people using spacers, but I did not want to risk anything. The spacer itself is pretty much the same quality for all brands, its just a hunk of metal. The dangerous part are the studs, which, if your unlucky or did not torque them properly, can break on you while your driving. This applies to version 1 and version 2 spacers.

So I bought ARP studs which are some of the strongest studs out there, and bought 15mm spacers from Novustech. Smaller company that is Canadian based like me and offers a life time warranty.

Make sure your spacer is a 64.1 hub bore size.
Hey thanks for your input. I would feel much more comfortable using the type 1 spacer as I ran those for 3 years in my Rabbit with no issues. I am a bit sketched out by the idea of attaching a spacer to the hub and then the rim to the "extended" hub... two mounting points have a higher likelihood of going wrong than 1 IMO.

How did you install your type 1 set up though. My VW had hub-centric spacers connecting to the inside of the rim and then I attached the whole rim to the OEM hub with extended lugs. From the pics ive seen though,
the Acura has the lug attached to the hub and we only screw on the head part. Will there be enough lug remaining to properly tighten and torque the bolt heads on lets say a 15 to 20mm spacer?

ttk5- which lugs did you purchase from arp?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Good info here guys
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
What im essentially doing is buying Ichiba type 1 spacers, but not using the extended studs that come with it. Just using ARP studs instead of the ones it comes with.

I bought them from Heeltoe

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/arp-chrom...s-m12x1.5.html

It lets you choose from 1.85" length which is a standard stud replacement. And a 2.85" stud which is extended and for application with 5mm or larger spacers.
Heres the description of them:
ARP's heat-treated 8740 chrome moly wheel studs are a much-needed replacement for any car engaged in track or drag racing competition. They have a tensile strength of 200,000 psi and are able to easily handle the tremendous acceleration shock loads (shear) and lateral forces (elongation) found in racing. The studs are sold in 4 or 5 packs and are cadmium plated for extra durability.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
ahhh but they left out how the studs will be affected by torsional force!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Ah, I just realized that the ARP's probably cant be installed without removing the whole hub assembly and replacing the stock lugs...not something I want to do on my 3 day old car lol. So I guess the real question is, will a 15 or 20mm bolt on spacer not hit the stock 17" SE Rim. Has anyone had with spacers and the stock 17's? Do they have indentations in the back of the rim, or is that a non-issue because they don't extend past the spacer. I'm not quite sure what Acura was thinking, this spacer thing is the most difficult journey out of any of the cars I've owned.