Custom SRI

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom SRI

Hey everyone, new member here. I've had my '10 TSX V6 since September of last year. Other than window tint, it's been totally stock until last weekend when I installed a custom SRI that I wanted to share.

I could have easily bought a kit like an aFe Takeda or K&N Typhoon, but I didn't want to mess with the attachments to the factory intake tube like the PCV and TB coolant lines. This might not seem like a big deal to some people, but I like the idea of easily being able to return the intake to stock so I was researching options for a SRI with minimum parts changed. This is what I came up with:

(click for full size)

Only three parts were used: aFe Pro Dry S 21-30016 / Spectre 9405 MAF adapter / Spectre reducer

I'm really happy with the results! At part and full throttle it sounds MEAN! As far as power, I do believe throttle response is a little sharper, but as we all know the butt dyno can't be trusted so I certainly can't make any power increase claims. The sound alone is more than worth it though.

As far as the "heat soak" issue, the lower half of the inbox and the rest of the intake tubing below it (including the resonator) are still in place and the opening is directly beneath the filter, so that might help a little.

I also like that the factory plastic cover still fits:

Let me know what you all think!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
If you DIY, why not do a CAI instead?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I simply didn't feel comfortable removing the bumper to take out the resonator and intake ducting so a CAI would fit. The goal was to get something equivalent to a commercial SRI kit while still having the ability to easily go back to stock.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
looks good OP.

But for for the money spent...you could've saved money buy not making your own kit.

For us California people, if Cop sees your "DIY" we get a ticket and sent to B.A.R. inspection. At smog (every 2 yrs) we would get flagged for that mod because it does not have C.A.R.B sticker.
I spend $135 on a brand New AEM CAI 4 years ago that comes with C.A.R.B sticker. Second time taking it to smog and have had 0 problems.

Part of modding a car is getting comfortable taking bumber/parts on and off. PVC valve and coolant lines are piece of cake, once you've done it once.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 PM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
If real race cars are doing it.... it has to be right.