Subwoofer for 2011 Base model

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer for 2011 Base model

Hi Guys,

I do not post much since I do not have much to contribute (not too technical with cars), but I have a question. I own a 2011 base model and would like to put a small system in the trunk. Could I use the space that would be used in the tech model that provides an 8" sub? I'm not looking for anything crazy, and would like to keep the function of the fold down seats for my hockey gear. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
10th Gear

Bump
Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
10th Gear

No ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
There are many many threads on this forum regarding what you just asked. I can give you my suggesstion but I do advise you browse through to get more ideas.

First, do you need both seats to fold or just one side? If it is just one side then you can install a small enclosure with an 8" or 10" sub. Sounds like you aren't looking for crazy power. Maybe sound quality might be your end goal. Diamond Audio makes a great sub for SQ. A D3 10" might be just right. Small Alpine subs like the Type S which are a bit cheaper could be an option as well.

Now, if you need both seats to be folded-down, and you are looking for some thump then here's option #2. Get a JL 8" W7. Best of both SQ and SPL. Mount in a custom enclosure on the left or right side by the tail light access panels.

Or you can mix and match either option for what you are looking for. Option one will cost you right around 500-800 depending on how high end you go. Option two as stated will run you well over a grand if it is done right. Either way, you have options. You could also consider getting a replacement free-air sub to fit in the stock location but I doubt whatever you find, if anything, will be worth it.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with option #2 of Tannis suggestion of putting a JL 8w7 or even a 10W7 in a sealed enclosure. I built my owned sealed enclosure for a 12" JL 12W6. Prior to that I had a ported 12" Infinity sub which took a lot more space in my trunk.

I understand your needs as I am a goalie and I have to carry all my goalie gear. My main bag still fits in the trunk as the sub is really near the back seat where the trunk sort of narrows out. For the rest of my gear, I just put everything in the back seat without putting down the seat. My goalie pads which is in a bag specificially made for goalie pads just goes onto the back seat and my goalie stick fits in by positioning the blade under the seat bottom of the front passenger seat and the top of the stick is sort of tilted over towards the back. Yours might be longer as I'm not a tall person.

I'm a fan of JL Audio as I have HT home gear which consist of JL Audio sub Fanthom line and during my years of searching for an excellent sub, looking at various manufacturer and model and many years of constant upgrades, I finally settled with JL Audio and has not looked back. it was definitely hands down. Thus, when it was time to upgrade my Infinity sub, it was no brainer to go with JL audio.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM
10th Gear

I think I might go with option #2. Like you stated, I'm not really looking for huge bass. I would like something more than what the base model provides. I'm going to search around for enclosures and the JL sub. Do you know of any websites that sells enclosures for Acura's or general cars?

On a side note, I can't believe you fit you goalie equipment in the TSX. That's pretty impressive. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
OneTimer, you can find enclosures but if you are looking to go with option two as stated above then you'll simply need to take it to a custom audio shop that can work with fiberglass and they will build it into the car. You can even have it carpeted to match the trunk.

And I'll tell you right now you won't find anything but large JL spec and other crappy boxes and none of them will do anything but take up gobs of room. And honestly, the W7 8" is plenty of bass if you aren't looking for a lot of thump. But it will still put out because it is a JL W7 after all. Also, you don't need a huge amp for it either so you'll save money on that too. A 10" W7 is still a fantastic sub. Had one in my Stealth TT and it sounded phenomenal. Also, if you want a little more hit, have the stock sub taken out. If not, leave it. It'll act as a somewhat passive sub.

Obiwan99 - Good choice on the Fathom. I'm a dedicated two-channel audiophile so there is no room for subs in my life at home but if I were to go that route it would defnitely be the Fathom. W7s are the most versatile subs I think I've ever seen!