big DIY project im doing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big DIY project im doing

im about to take on a pretty decent size diy adventure here so i had a few questions and wanted to see what other ppl did if they did at all so.
first the project- changing all interior/exterior bulbs to led/hid
(led will be everything other then the headlamps, fogs, drl those will b hid...), baking my headlights to take all the cheesey chrome and the amber reflector off(i know to leave some of the reflectors where needed), changing the front grill, changing the rear bumper reflectors into working lights (havent decided if i wanna make em my back ups or added rear turn signals), installing an amp+box to the stock radio.....obviously this is alot of work to do so im gonna do it in sections front, rear and etc...heres my ideas/questions now i have a/v experience but thats in residential/commercial not mobile. all of my concerns really come down to the wiring of everything now i know hid-ballast, led-resistor but is that for every single bulb?? will i need a resistor for my dome light? etc etc..
also wanna change the schemes on some of the lighting would like to make the fogs my drl or atleast be able to control them separate from having headlights on (ive read the threads on here) can i splice at all? can i splice before or after the resistor/ballast?? will splicing add enough draw where a resistor/ballast wouldn't be necessary? also what type of wires do you suggest i have a ton of cat5 cat6, etc which would make splicing and redirecting currents easy but will they hold enough power? i know the amp needs a totally different set up im not including that in these questions btw.

i do have a question about spraying paint was thinking about using plastidip since it can come off wonder if i can use it to blacken out the parts of the headlights and still put it back in the oven to reseal it. also wanna use plastdip to make all the rear lights red obviously not baking those but just asking how ppl like the product.

also people who have taken off the bumpers before is there any kind of room to tie wrap the ballasts to so there not seen?? resistors are pretty small atleast i think they are so this is just for the ballasts, i like to work neat and have everything labeled so if something needs changing in the future i wont be guessing.

now my question about the amp.. wanna hook it up to the stock radio and basically turn the 8inch shelf sub into the amp/box so i can control it from the options on the dash. is this possible? i know there are conversion kits where u piggy back off a speaker wire to an amp to give it the music but if i disconnect the 8inch stock sub wire and use that as my control wire will it work?

thanks for any help in advance
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Interior LEDs don't need resistors unless you want to dim them if they're too bright. Plastidip on rear lights = will block the light. Use red vinyl/tint. Plastidip in the headlights will be fine. If you're putting HIDs into the fogs you don't need resistors, just the ballasts. You can buy plug n play kits for the switchbacks (forgot the name/brand) that have resistors prewired in.

As for your other questions, I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jonhenry81

now my question about the amp.. wanna hook it up to the stock radio and basically turn the 8inch shelf sub into the amp/box so i can control it from the options on the dash. is this possible? i know there are conversion kits where u piggy back off a speaker wire to an amp to give it the music but if i disconnect the 8inch stock sub wire and use that as my control wire will it work?

thanks for any help in advance
Are you base or Tech package?
What Amp are you planning on running?