Best phones for HFL

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best phones for HFL

I have a 2009TSX w/Nav. All the phones I've tried have require that the call be engaged (as opposed to dialing) before the call is transferred from the phone to the HFL. I called the helpline and they said only some phones are able to directly transfer but he didn't know which ones. I've tried the Treo 750w, Blackberry Curve, and the iPhone 3G.

Anyone have success? I'm searching for a phone that connects directly while dialing and doesn't require the extra transfer step. My Treo 750w works perfectly in the Prius.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your thread has been moved from the Frequently Asked Questions forum to the applicable forum. Please read the thread at the top of the FAQ Forum for more information.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by az2009tsx
I have a 2009TSX w/Nav. All the phones I've tried have require that the call be engaged (as opposed to dialing) before the call is transferred from the phone to the HFL.
Sorry, but I'm not clear exactly what you're trying to do? I have an iPhone and it works flawlessly.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Racer

LG Dare works great!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Sorry, but I'm not clear exactly what you're trying to do? I have an iPhone and it works flawlessly.
Yeah, same here except mine is just a Blackberry Pearl.

OP, what do you mean by engaged and directly transferred?

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 09-09-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: additions to text
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
yeah i dont get what the issue is either. i have a 1st gen and the iPhone 3G works awesome... a million times better then the nextel i760 (or whatever it was) i had before.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Sprint HTC Touch works flawlessly, I wish I could get the bluetooth stereo to transfer though. Stream internet music to my phone and have that transfered to the car's stereo. Quality is good at 128k stream, it would be an alternative to XM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
9th Gear

I think he means that if you dial the number from your phone, the conversation starts out in the phone and must be manually transferred to HFL.

I am very annoyed at this too, as searching an imported cell phonebook requires many many button pushes; but i can't also just dial the number from my phone because then I have to tell the other end to hold on while i transfer the call to HFL.

-alex

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Yeah, same here except mine is just a Blackberry Pearl.

OP, what do you mean by engaged and directly transferred?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

You could visit the HFL site for more information.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Hey, I'm an account manager for Verizon Wireless, and have paired numerous phones to my car with success. I have paired the Blackberry Pearl 8130 Blackberry Curve 8330 LG Dare LG Voyager LG Env2 All without problems, all automatically link up right away when the ignition is started. If multiple phones that are in your car's database are within the vicinity, when you start your car, the car will pair up with the last handset that it was paired with when the car was shut down. To remedy this, you can turn off the BT Connection on the handset itself, and then hit connect on the handset you want on, and your car should automatically pair. For the Bluetooth Stereo music stream, The LG phones work awesome!!! The sound quality is top notch!!! The Blackberry Models will stream music as well.. but they will not allow you to control the tracks from your dashboard. The LG phones will allow you to skip and go to previous tracks from the dash, which is really cool. As for the Palm phones, I know that they have a weird bluetooth system, and that there are "quirks" with it's BT Connection. As for phone calls... do calls not ring through in your cars stereo at all??? Does it ring on your handset, and then after you pick it up, do you have to hit options and connect that way? Please let me know, I've played with mine quite extensively, as you can tell. :p
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My Motorola Razr 2 works without a problem.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Instructor

I use the iPhone 3G and works flawlessly. you can transfer calls between the phone and the car very easily.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM
speed zombie

My blackberry curve is amazing with the HFL and they link as soon as i get in the car.. it's like magic.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

E-TEN Glofiish X500+ works great
Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dlee74
LG Dare works great!
Yup, mine too. The bluetooth audio is a great feature too.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know how to switch a call from the handset to the HFL if the call is already in process? I am using a BB Curve.

In my TL I was able to do so by pressing the "speakerphone" button on the BB, but now I have to go into the menu to transfer the call, it's kind of annoying, I wish there was a speed key to go To and From the HFL.

And is there a way to get the numbers from the bluetooth import into the HFL phone book? So I can dial using voice commands, without having to re input the number and create a name in the HFL phone book.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DeadLock
Anyone know how to switch a call from the handset to the HFL if the call is already in process? I am using a BB Curve.

In my TL I was able to do so by pressing the "speakerphone" button on the BB, but now I have to go into the menu to transfer the call, it's kind of annoying, I wish there was a speed key to go To and From the HFL.

And is there a way to get the numbers from the bluetooth import into the HFL phone book? So I can dial using voice commands, without having to re input the number and create a name in the HFL phone book.
To switch from handset to HFL, if call is initiated before car is turned on. You must first wait until link is acknowledged on phone, (pop up screen telling you link is successful between phone and HFL), then hit the "pearl", scroll down to Transfer sounds to HFL and you're all set. you may have to hit the pearl, and cancel out a few times, as it takes a brief second to pop up in your menu.

If call is initiated from handset after connection is made, just hit the pearl, scroll to Transfer sounds to HFL and you're good.

The best way to use the HFL with your Curve, is to make sure you leave your Bluetooth connection on at all times, so that your car automatically syncs as soon as the ignition is turned.

You can sync your phone book to your car if you like, using the Bluetooth options, but it is a pain in the ass to find phone numbers this way. And voice command does not transfer over when you do this. The best way is to sync your top ten numbers in your car, and manually connect the others if you need to.

Last edited by JOBNUMBER; 09-23-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
In my 1GEN, I just add any numbers I need to call from the car to the phonebook ... keeps the number down. Mostly restaurants and very close friends/family in my case, as well as highway information and 911.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Many of the "regular" handsets should work well even though they're not listed on the Acura HFL list. Regular handsets meaning flip phones and candybar phones alike. Many of the PDA phones is where you run into problems. The most complicated case is when you have a broadcom bluetooth driver that runs the bluetooth on your PDA phone. Many PDA devices have switched over to the Microsoft driver which in turn have translated into successful pairings.

phew, I've been in telecom too long
Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
5th Gear

Details on transferring phone ---> HFL

When I initiate a call from my iPhone (paired and working perfectly with HFL), say, by tapping on a contact that I don't otherwise have programmed into HFL, the phone says that it is communicating the audio through HFL but there is no sound. Is that what the other iPhone users are experiencing, or am I missing something? Many thanks,

tijean
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM

1GEN HFL + Nokia 6682

Originally Posted by tijean
When I initiate a call from my iPhone (paired and working perfectly with HFL), say, by tapping on a contact that I don't otherwise have programmed into HFL, the phone says that it is communicating the audio through HFL but there is no sound. Is that what the other iPhone users are experiencing, or am I missing something?
I have a 1GEN, so my HFL may be different, but I've experienced issues like this with my Nokia 6682. I.e. Sometimes, if my phone is connected to another BT headset, the TSX doesn't connect ("Phone - Setup - Status" yields "no phones have been found"), but then the phone "finds" the car. The command "Transfer" doesn't work ("no phones have been found"). But still the phone shows a "would you like to transfer to handsfree?" When the HFL doesn't work, I'll switch the phone back to "handset" or "loudspeaker," but the audio and mic are shunted. Pisses me and the sweetheart off when she calls and hears silence.

The 6682 did not pass all the HFL tests, so it's listed as "some features supported." I can live with that. But sometimes, if the caller will just wait, the HFL will actually pick up the phone and start working within 90 seconds.

This is a "once every month" ordeal. And once very 6ix months, the HFL tries to "re-pair" with the phone, and the way I respond fails and cripples the pairing. I've had to delete and recreate the pairing twice since July, 2007.

On a daily basis,... HFL connects to the phone flawlessly, I just don't see signal strength, battery life, etc., on the MID. I DO see the number calling me, though. In all, it's more useful to me than the NAVI would be.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

My Blackberry Bold works great in my 2010TSX/NAV but I bought a replacement for my wife's lost phone today and it would not pair at all. It is a Nokia 2330 and I did not think to check the list of compatible phones first. I will probably clip the old Jabra hands free device on the visor for her. It pairs up with the Jabra immediately.

It seems there are way too many phones that are not compatible with the Acura bluetooth system.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by JOBNUMBER
To switch from handset to HFL, if call is initiated before car is turned on. You must first wait until link is acknowledged on phone, (pop up screen telling you link is successful between phone and HFL), then hit the "pearl", scroll down to Transfer sounds to HFL and you're all set. you may have to hit the pearl, and cancel out a few times, as it takes a brief second to pop up in your menu.

If call is initiated from handset after connection is made, just hit the pearl, scroll to Transfer sounds to HFL and you're good.

The best way to use the HFL with your Curve, is to make sure you leave your Bluetooth connection on at all times, so that your car automatically syncs as soon as the ignition is turned.

You can sync your phone book to your car if you like, using the Bluetooth options, but it is a pain in the ass to find phone numbers this way. And voice command does not transfer over when you do this. The best way is to sync your top ten numbers in your car, and manually connect the others if you need to.
all he has to do is tell the BB that it (the car) is a trusted device and to automatically connect when it finds it. If you don't then you have to ack the connect request every time on the BB and that is a giant PITA lol./ The BB will even auto transfer the call to the BT device if you are in a call when the HFL becomes available.

and if your phone supports it, (BB does) you can tell the phone "Call phone book entry name" using the HFL....

I had my KM900 (LG Arena) paired to a '10 TSX and for some odd reason it would make the connection but not transfer the audio.....could have been a defect with that car's HFL as the other acuras I have driven the HFL worked just fine.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
... I had my KM900 (LG Arena) paired to a '10 TSX and for some odd reason it would make the connection but not transfer the audio.....could have been a defect with that car's HFL as the other acuras I have driven the HFL worked just fine.
Happens to me regularly. My Nokia 6682 is "not fully supported," and sometimes the car will make the handsfree connection, but the audio won't pass through. Fault of the car, fault of the phone, I dunno....
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Blackberry Tour works great with the TSX Tech. HFL works great. I have Pandora streaming from it, and it sounds better than XM radio! I had the Blackberry 8830 before, and that worked as a charm, but Bluetooth audio sounded weird with the old blackberry.

BTW, it's very easy to transfer between HFL to your phone and back, and it's "handsfree." If you have already initiated your call on your phone, and your phone is connected to HFL, just hit the call button on the steering wheel and say "transfer." Call will then be transferred to HFL.

If you want to transfer from HFL back to your phone, do the same thing. Just hit the call button on the steering wheel, and say "transfer." Works like a charm, and you don't have to touch the phone or take your eyes off the road either.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah, thanks, I know about that feature. It works well with fully supported phones. But with my semi-supported phone, the HFL often says, "No call is in progress," or then transfers audio from the phone, but doesn't pass audio through either way, so my caller hears silence. Gf is under instructions to hold on the line for 60 seconds if she hears me go silent in the car....

Better to get a fully HFL supported phone if you plan to use it a lot. For my occasional use, my existing phone was sufficient.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are correct to assume that since the Handsfreelink website is very specific on the specific compatible features of a compatible phone (http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx). My last phone was the Blackberry 8830) and on the website it says contact import feature was NOT supported. BUt then, I say, just give it a try to import it. I tried it once, and it failed. But I keep trying to import over and over again and eventually my contacts got transferred to my car. So, even though my old phone wasn't fully supported as stated in the website, I still got a non-supported feature to work. Your mileage might vary...