2012 TSX License Plate Light Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:05 PM
Intermediate

2012 TSX License Plate Light Install DIY

I just received blue license plate lights in the mail, and I am trying to install them myself. I believe I have to remove the trunk lining to get to the lights, but that seems a little difficult, and I really don't want to mess anything up. I have been looking online for either videos or pictures of someone doing it, but I can find any (good one's at least). Anyone help me out? In the manual it says to take it to an authorized Acura service department, but I don't know if they will let me change the license plate lights since my car is under a lease agreement, and isn't financed.
Old 08-16-2012 | 01:18 PM
Racer

Taking off the trunk liner is probably the easiest way to do it. Pop off four clips and away you go I believe. The other ways I think you have to pop off the chrome trim ...
Old 08-16-2012 | 01:19 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NYDEUCES
I just received blue license plate lights in the mail, and I am trying to install them myself. I believe I have to remove the trunk lining to get to the lights, but that seems a little difficult, and I really don't want to mess anything up. I have been looking online for either videos or pictures of someone doing it, but I can find any (good one's at least). Anyone help me out? In the manual it says to take it to an authorized Acura service department, but I don't know if they will let me change the license plate lights since my car is under a lease agreement, and isn't financed.
Two things:

1. I am obviously the only person in the universe who knows how to search.

2. Blue bulbs will get you a ticket and a possible ride in the back of a police car.
Old 08-16-2012 | 01:53 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

no ceb...i too can search...

in any case, there's 2 or 3 clips you unclip to take the trunk liner off. pull it past the trunk handle and the whole thing just flaps down. squeeze the housing of each light together and pull to take it out. pull out the bulb, replace, and then push the housing back in. don't go through the chrome trim. you'll most likely scratch the chrome off and it'll make your car look like shit.

blue license bulbs look like shit. pure white is classy.
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:19 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrstak
no ceb...i too can search...

in any case, there's 2 or 3 clips you unclip to take the trunk liner off. pull it past the trunk handle and the whole thing just flaps down. squeeze the housing of each light together and pull to take it out. pull out the bulb, replace, and then push the housing back in. don't go through the chrome trim. you'll most likely scratch the chrome off and it'll make your car look like shit.

blue license bulbs look like shit. pure white is classy.
Woo-hoo. Two of us can search. That is a record for any forum.
Old 08-16-2012 | 06:24 PM
Intermediate

DAMN! I just installed them, and didn't realize that they aren't really legal. Hopefully they are bright enough to light up the whole license plate, otherwise, I am just going to get super bright white lights. I went to Acura before to see how much they would charge for installation, and the guy told me $110. I told him I had the lights though and didn't need to purchase them, and he said the price is $110 to install. I thought that was crazy.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Took me about 15 minutes to install, not even. Had a tough time getting the light housing back in, and the clamps back in as well. Still can't believe the Service Center at Acura wanted to charge me $110 just to install the lights.
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:29 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

In DC that would get you multiple tickets and a virtual guaranteed ride to the police station and an impounded car. Let me count the ways:

Obscured license plate
Impersonating a LEO
Improper lighting
Unsafe equipment

If the area you've been driving through has issues with people impersonating officers by using vehicles outfitted to look like cop cars ( like the wannabe security guard who tried to bring some guns into a movie theater a few days after the shooting or the guy in DC pulling people over) then you've got a really good chance of getting stopped and ticketed. Since it is unsafe equipment, you stand a good chance of getting your car impounded. If your car gets impounded that's an additional couple of hundred bucks to get it out plus your car will be inventoried.

Is the risk worth having cutesy lights that you'll seldom see?
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:44 AM
Graphite Ghost

hey OP looks great.

hey Ceb give it a rest. you told him above that it was illegal. now move on.

you really are a freaking troll bro. we ALL got the message in your first post. great. now MOVE ON.

anytime you ENTER a thread its a constant repeating message throughout. like a nagging fly or skeeter/

i dont mind the first post, can easily ignore it, but then there wll be 10 more..............thats trolling bro/

MOVE ON!

PS: A while ago you told me 'i expeted more from you' Well Bro I am sorry to say the SAME THING TO YOU/

make your point and MOVE ON.
Old 08-17-2012 | 11:09 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by robpp
hey OP looks great.

hey Ceb give it a rest. you told him above that it was illegal. now move on.

you really are a freaking troll bro. we ALL got the message in your first post. great. now MOVE ON.

anytime you ENTER a thread its a constant repeating message throughout. like a nagging fly or skeeter/

i dont mind the first post, can easily ignore it, but then there wll be 10 more..............thats trolling bro/

MOVE ON!

PS: A while ago you told me 'i expeted more from you' Well Bro I am sorry to say the SAME THING TO YOU/

make your point and MOVE ON.
If you don't like what I have to say then don't read it.

The OP clearly didn't think about possible consequences and my second post explained why the blue lights were bad. I haven't pissed on any of your posts so lay off.
Old 08-17-2012 | 12:29 PM
Intermediate

The cops in my area said that the lights are fine. As long as there are no flashing red/blue lights on the vehicle, or underbody glow, I should be okay. However, they did say that in some cases, I may be pulled over, if, for instance, a cop is having a bad day and feels like giving me a fine.
Old 08-17-2012 | 02:25 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

you can barely see the license plate in those pics. i have seen some cars like that but not many. i'm almost positive you'd get a ticket for these comes month end in nyc. plus in my opinion, it just doesn't look good like that.
Old 08-17-2012 | 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrstak
you can barely see the license plate in those pics. i have seen some cars like that but not many. i'm almost positive you'd get a ticket for these comes month end in nyc. plus in my opinion, it just doesn't look good like that.
i second this. i hate when people put blue lights on their cars, makes it a bitch when volly's try to use their lights to get through traffic
Old 08-17-2012 | 10:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The cops in my area said that the lights are fine. As long as there are no flashing red/blue lights on the vehicle, or underbody glow, I should be okay. However, they did say that in some cases, I may be pulled over, if, for instance, a cop is having a bad day and feels like giving me a fine.
They didn't say that if they saw the installed lights.
Old 08-17-2012 | 11:07 PM
Intermediate

I will be taking better photos with my Canon, because those photos were taken with an iPad which obviously doesn't really do any justice when taking photos at night.

@Ceb I'm pretty sure the cop did say that. I was chilling with some friends last night in my car on some random street in my town. The house I was parked outside of called the cops on us cause they thought we were acting suspicious. After the cop pulled up on us and asked what we were doing, I told him. He told me to just find another place to park, and that is when I had asked him if the lights were okay. He had no problem with them.

@mrstak and @PyroDave We all have our opinions. Personally I like the color blue a lot. Hence the reason why I bought blue interior lights and the blue license plate light. However, I also like to change things up a bit. I will be ordering bright white lights in the coming weeks as well.
Old 08-18-2012 | 03:42 PM
Safety Car

I will be taking better photos with my Canon, because those photos were taken with an iPad which obviously doesn't really do any justice when taking photos at night.

@Ceb I'm pretty sure the cop did say that. I was chilling with some friends last night in my car on some random street in my town. The house I was parked outside of called the cops on us cause they thought we were acting suspicious. After the cop pulled up on us and asked what we were doing, I told him. He told me to just find another place to park, and that is when I had asked him if the lights were okay. He had no problem with them.

@mrstak and @PyroDave We all have our opinions. Personally I like the color blue a lot. Hence the reason why I bought blue interior lights and the blue license plate light. However, I also like to change things up a bit. I will be ordering bright white lights in the coming weeks as well.
My Vortex Blue has BLUE courtesy lights on the door, and blue trunk light, but my interior is white, because blue doesn't provide enough usable light, and my license plate lights are white. the emergency lights flash blue/white, and they are the reason that having blue lights is illegal, unless your an active member of a fire house or ambulance corp, or a LEO, you don't get to have any blue or red lights, and having them, despite flashing, can be considered impersonating an officer. most cops would not be ok with it, but they don't always pull people over for minor infractions unless they are pissed

in this case its less about opinion, and more about the law. the cop probably wouldn't care if you had tint either, i know its only been mentioned once in over a dozen traffic stops to me, but it is still illegal
Old 09-13-2012 | 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Two things:

1. I am obviously the only person in the universe who knows how to search.

2. Blue bulbs will get you a ticket and a possible ride in the back of a police car.
i ran blue plate lights for well over a year with no incident. apparently its legal in my state. the only time i ran in to some trouble was when i was getting a inspection. they had to look it up to make sure it was ok and then they passed me.

i opted for the white LEDs on the TSX though. my last car was blue.