2011 TSX Navi Screen & Possible Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation 2011 TSX Navi Screen & Possible Recall

Hey all...

Just wanted to share that I bought my 2011 TSX Tech in Feburary. After about the first month, I noticed that my navi screen wouldnt turn on with ignition. I could tell that power was getting to the screen (slight glow), but the screen was black. Controls still seemed to work - as well as the radio - I just couldnt see what was going on.

The only way to fix the screen was to either turn the car completely off & back on again... or pop it into reverse to activate the rear camera (but that didnt always work).

Last week I took it into Acura of Portland to get it looked at. They said it might be a very hard problem to diagnose as it cannot be replicated on demand. They said their mechanics would look at the "national database" and lo and behold, a few others were having the same problem.

The fix? An entire new display unit. It's getting put in on Friday.

I just wanted to let all of you new 2011 TSX owners know about this issue - and if youre having it, take it in and get your display replaced ASAP!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Theres a new tsb for this brah. It's a known issue for the 2011. The stealerships suppose to replace the nav unit, they like to play dumb. I'd send u a link but I'm on my phone.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

If you could send me that link when you get a chance, that would be great.... thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Racer

click on this link and follow the directions at the top
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/2nd-gen-tsx-tsb-information-789358/

Then click on this link for the TSB
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B11-010.pdf
The following users liked this post:
jeffthefiremedic (06-30-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just came across this and interestingly, mine did this last night...it has happened maybe 3 or 4 times in the 3 months I've owned it...I don't know if that's enough to have them replace anything but I also have an ipod skipping issue (used to be every 20 minutes or so, but the frequency has advanced to about every 10 minutes now)...probably not related, but who knows...

Last edited by arktctr; 05-27-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a glitch that may be similar. If I don't press the "OK" button within 30 seconds of ignition start-up, the screen goes black but then never wakes up. I can use the button to change the audio, but without any visual on the screen. I can't get the screen to wake up. Is this normal?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Racer

No this is not normal, the screen should go black if you don't press ok after start up. But if u press the ok button after it goes black, it should wake up.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffthefiremedic
Hey all...

Just wanted to share that I bought my 2011 TSX Tech in Feburary. After about the first month, I noticed that my navi screen wouldnt turn on with ignition. I could tell that power was getting to the screen (slight glow), but the screen was black. Controls still seemed to work - as well as the radio - I just couldnt see what was going on.

The only way to fix the screen was to either turn the car completely off & back on again... or pop it into reverse to activate the rear camera (but that didnt always work).

Last week I took it into Acura of Portland to get it looked at. They said it might be a very hard problem to diagnose as it cannot be replicated on demand. They said their mechanics would look at the "national database" and lo and behold, a few others were having the same problem.

The fix? An entire new display unit. It's getting put in on Friday.

I just wanted to let all of you new 2011 TSX owners know about this issue - and if youre having it, take it in and get your display replaced ASAP!
Great - I've had that problem a few times too... how long did it take them to fix the problem?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Just got the call that they are going to replace my nav screen as well for the intermittent "black-out" issue...hopefully that solves things...
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear

I have a DVD read error. Acura is replacing my unit today. I hope this one will last a hell of a lot longer.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
According to the TSB, only certain early build 2011s are affected with the Nav screen issue. The affected vehilces are identified as being only up to a certain VIN number. My recent build 2011 is unaffected.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Intermediate

I was coming to the board this morning to post almost the same thing. However mine only happens when I neglect to select "OK" when the warning message appears on the nav screen.

In order to get the nav screen to display it's actual content I have to do exactly as the OP does. (The only way to fix the screen was to either turn the car off & back on again... or pop it into reverse to activate the rear camera (but that didnt always work))

For me going to revers and then back to drive has stopped working.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Racer

^ this would drive me insane. Like I said before, this isn't normal. It should "wake up" if you press the ok button (maybe any button).
Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Yeah sounds like all of you should contact Acura for a replacement screen. They placed the order for the unit, took a week to get there and took them about an hour to exchange it out. Works great now. I guess the dealer told me that the screen maker specifically wanted the defective units shipped back to them so they can figure out what is causing the glitch....
Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

Arrghh. I have determined mine does not have a sleep/no-wake-up glitch; it has the same problem of the subject of this thread. It is faulty about once every 20-30 ignition start ups.

Is there a TSB or recall and if so, can someone post the content?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

Scroll up... Live2hit01 posted the link to the tsb addressing the issue. Just make an appt with your dealer to get the unit replaced

Originally Posted by CooldudeTSX
Arrghh. I have determined mine does not have a sleep/no-wake-up glitch; it has the same problem of the subject of this thread. It is faulty about once every 20-30 ignition start ups.

Is there a TSB or recall and if so, can someone post the content?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:06 PM
10th Gear

I previously saw the TSB links and they didn't work for me and still don't. I guess its just my browser/computer.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

You have to click on this link first and follow the directions to select your car......

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789358

THEN....click on this link for the TSB once you have done the above....

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B11-010.pdf

OR... just browse all the TSB's for your vehicle make/model.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
10th Gear

Ahhhh. This is a rare instance where Firefox 5.0 does not return the data. I switched to IE 9 and sure enough, the instructions work fine. Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 PM
10th Gear

Question for the folks that have had their display replaced under warranty for this intermittent and faulty condition:

Did the dealer actually see the unit in the faulty condition or did the dealer replace the unit without seeing the unit in the faulty condition?

My dealer's telling me that they must see the faulty condition, and of coarse, the unit flawlessly performs while they are watching no matter how many attempts to turn the key/start the car.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CooldudeTSX
Question for the folks that have had their display replaced under warranty for this intermittent and faulty condition:

Did the dealer actually see the unit in the faulty condition or did the dealer replace the unit without seeing the unit in the faulty condition?

My dealer's telling me that they must see the faulty condition, and of coarse, the unit flawlessly performs while they are watching no matter how many attempts to turn the key/start the car.
I described what it did, they called me later that afternoon and said there was a TSB matching that description and they ordered a new screen. Now the smaller screen (which shows climate controls settings) has intermittently gone out (only the radio info, the temp settings always remain) and my phone gets deleted and I have to re-pair it daily. It worked fine for about 2 months and now its starting to get a bit glitchy. Luckily I have a video of the lower screen blackout I can show them when it goes back in next week. Wonder if Acura ever does buybacks as a customer satisfaction effort?

http://youtu.be/sDawMcZBL5Q

Last edited by arktctr; 07-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arktctr
I described what it did, they called me later that afternoon and said there was a TSB matching that description and they ordered a new screen. Now the smaller screen (which shows climate controls settings) has intermittently gone out (only the radio info, the temp settings always remain) and my phone gets deleted and I have to re-pair it daily. It worked fine for about 2 months and now its starting to get a bit glitchy. Luckily I have a video of the lower screen blackout I can show them when it goes back in next week. Wonder if Acura ever does buybacks as a customer satisfaction effort?

http://youtu.be/sDawMcZBL5Q
My lower screen blacked out the other day as well and only showed the temp (first time this has ever happened). I tried everything to get it back but when i restarted the car it came back just fine. I thought nothing of it until now when I stopped by this thread to check on the progress of having the main nav screen replaced due to the black out issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Pro

Took my car to the dealership to get this problem fixed... but unfortunately, the problem has not surged for them... the service guy said if he couldn't get the screen to blank out then he couldn't replace my unit...
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

I had the same issue. I determined a way to accentuate the intermittent failure. Right after you let go of the key from ignition, quickly shift the transmission into Drive. It's a timing thing. Mine never failed if I didn't quickly shift into drive. Of coarse, if I shifted into Reverse, it never failed, because that will "wake it up".
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Pro

I videotaped the issue I am having. I sent it to my service guy with John Eagle Acura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5M6OMJoQ0E
Old 10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Red TSX in Washington

First, I traded in my 2005 Red TSX for a 2009 Glacier Blue TSX. And I no longer live in Washington DC, but Colorado. So sorry for the incorrect login name from 5 years ago.

For the past year, I have had the same problem with my Nav Screen not turning on at ignition -- but for my 2009 TSX, not a 2011.

I have not discovered a rhyme-or-reason for when the screen fails to light up -- not temperature, not whether I just drove the car or first thing in the morning, etc. But here is what I have noticed:

1. If the screen does not turn on, I can press the daylight/nighttime button on the left side of the dash. That will eventually turn on the screen -- but sometimes it takes 30 button pushes to do it, sometimes it takes 3. But, even if I have to press the button 60 times, it will eventually turn on. (Though it is very tiring and annoying.)

2. Once the screen does turn on (whether correctly at start up, or after pushing the daylight/nighttime button 30 times), it always STAYS ON until I turn off the car.

3. The screen problems occur no matter whether it is the backup camera, map, or audio screens.

This all leads me to believe that the screen itself is not defective, and that there is not a loose wire. Instead, to my uneducated guess, it seems like a software/video driver issue within the system -- just like when a display driver for a computer goes out.

Since I am able to fix the problem by pushing another button multiple times, that would indicate that it is software, not hardware. But what do I know?

Questions:

Has anyone with an 09 TSX had this issue?

Is there a fix short of tearing apart the dashboard to replace the screen? (On my 05, they once took apart the dashboard to replace the interior air filter, and they never got it back together again correctly. So I'm very reluctant to have the display taken out by mechanics who are used to working on brakes and struts.)

Any chance the software upgrade on the NAV Update DVD might fix this?

Thanks,
BlueTSX in Colorado
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Red TSX in Washington

I followed instructions in this thread to look at TSB 11-010. While I am able to download PDF documents for other TSB's, the link for 11-010 denies access, and asks for a username and password. Perhaps something is different for that file from all the others listed on the Acurazine link page?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura tsx 2010

This problem is happening to me and I just got the car from out of state and into NJ. I have had the car for one week and I noticed it. When I start the car the screen does not turn on always. But once I drive for a while and Im at a stop and I press the button it works. So I think this is a grounding issue for the screen. Also my left speaker has popped and the navigation screen is pissing me off even more and it only has 31,xxx miles on it.