XM tuner swap for Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb XM tuner swap for Sirius?

What's up everybody?

New to the forum here, and hoping to get some solid information on doing an XM tuner swap for a Sirius module. I have been searching Google for answers, but not had a ton of luck.

My work horse is a 2009 non-tech TSX with already 51k miles! I drive 130 miles a day for work, 5 days a week.

I was checking around inside my trunk looking for the XM tuner, and THINK I may have found it, but I'm really in the early stages of this and looking for some guidance.

I'm under the impression that this is the component I need to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elect.../dp/B000YGIYJY

But they also mentioned needing a SCVDOC1 vehicle kit???

I already have a Sirius Sportster mounted on my dash and am looking to eliminate the clutter and get it run directly into my currently XM-ready TSX.

Mainly, I am looking for someone to point out the obvious and tell me EXACTLY where the XM tuner is, and if it really is going to be as simple as finding it, swapping it out for the Sirius one from the link above.

If you know anything about this, let me know!

Thanks everybody
Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be honest in that I am not sure of this answer but aren't Sirius and XM now the same company? If so, can't you call and transfer your subscription or add another device?

If you just want to keep your current Sirius tuner (Sportster) and wire it into you system then that's a different type of problem and you will need to do an interface of some type.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
5th Gear

They did merge, however they still operate relatively seperate technologically, as well as a few other ways. If I wanted to spend more money, I could re-activate my XM and cancel my Sirius, then add the 'Best of Sirius' package to my XM subscription...not ideal at all.

I prefer to have only Sirius for Howard Stern, the football coverage and I like the music channels better.

Looks like I'm going to have to get down and dirty and find the XM tuner in the trunk and see if the component cables/wires match up the same with the Sirius converter I posted the link to above. If so, I'll be good to go.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rings44
They did merge, however they still operate relatively seperate technologically, as well as a few other ways. If I wanted to spend more money, I could re-activate my XM and cancel my Sirius, then add the 'Best of Sirius' package to my XM subscription...not ideal at all.

I prefer to have only Sirius for Howard Stern, the football coverage and I like the music channels better.

Looks like I'm going to have to get down and dirty and find the XM tuner in the trunk and see if the component cables/wires match up the same with the Sirius converter I posted the link to above. If so, I'll be good to go.
The programming is about a 90% plus overlap. Other than the additional cost of BOS, what do you think you are missing? With the Clear Channel stations, XM actually has more music stations than Sirius.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like the other guy said, just call sirius and have them transfer your subscription to xm. It's not difficult and if they give you hard time.. you're the customer = win.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
like the other guy said, just call sirius and have them transfer your subscription to xm. It's not difficult and if they give you hard time.. you're the customer = win.
Actually, you can't do that yet. He'd have to cancel one and activate the other. They haven't merged billing systems yet.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Tishkevich
tried that-can not be done-we have sirius until March so when we bought our sonata the dealer put our sirius radio in the new car (they did a excellent job). We have xm until the end of this month and they started calling us to renew. It took me a long time to convince them we had sirius but finally they got the message. They put in their system and no more annoying calls from them.