Why did you choose the TSX over the TL? And if not..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by aspecallday
No need to get offended fellas if you read why i wrote i said "speaking for myself"

@tsxguyv6guy you are 100% about it not being the case all the time but people on here try to give me that bs about them not wanting a better car then they already own.

Lets be realistic here you have to strive for better things in life so save all that im happy with what i have crap.

TSX is a great car but stop the ignorance,its has nothing on Tl and never will.Thats why you see them everywhere,they cost less...wtf ppl
actually, i tell people all the time, after i graduate college and pay off loans, i'll be buying another TSX, even if its addition to a $70K. but thats mainly because i love my baby
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
no, i was comparing it to 09-11 tsx because i have been in them both.

the bottom line is that the TL is much better of a car in almost every aspect.
Yes you save on the gas with the 4 cylinders but who cares.

speaking for myself i got a '12 shawd because i couldn't afford a m5(smh).
people get tsx when they cant afford a tl, they just wont admit it...#LIFE
A TL Tech is about 5 grand more than a six cylinder TSX Tech. Its a bigger car and there are a few items that the TSX doesn't have. However, to suggest that it is a much better car in all areas is just silly. The main difference is the SH AWD, which is important to some, and not to all. Outside of that, albeit significant, that is mainly what you paying for. They are both well built cars and you can't go wrong with either. I am very happy with my 4 cylinder 2012 TSX Tech, and find the fuel economy to be good and the power to be more than ample.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
GaryE (06-07-2012), tvac (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Speaking for myself, you guys are all assholes. And all people who buy Japanese cars are ignorant, we all know that German cars are the best.

I'm speaking for myself only, don't get offended.
The following 4 users liked this post by MrOtocinclus:
Acura_Dude (05-11-2012), ed_423 (05-11-2012), opboarding (05-11-2012), spdandpwr (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Speaking for myself, you guys are all assholes. And all people who buy Japanese cars are ignorant, we all know that German cars are the best.

absolutely correct. Only German cars that cost in excess of $60k allow you to develop a very close and personal relationship with your dealership - a relationship that you can never build with a Japanese car dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
GrigioTSX10 (05-14-2012), s40 driver (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
TSX is a great car but stop the ignorance,its has nothing on Tl and never will.Thats why you see them everywhere,they cost less...wtf ppl
Except for the 6spd TL, TSX V6 is quicker than its pricier TL SH-AWD brethren.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts

that's why you're selling your car. you made up that BS story of you leaving just so you can get a german car. the truth comes out!

tl vs tsx are all subjective. if you want to go on pure performance numbers, obviously the tl has the edge since it's got a bigger engine, a bit more techy, etc.

i have an idea...let's go over to the 4g TL section and post this exact same thread but change the order of the cars. "why did you choose the TL over the TSX" and see what happens!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
A TL Tech is about 5 grand more than a six cylinder TSX Tech. Its a bigger car and there are a few items that the TSX doesn't have. However, to suggest that it is a much better car in all areas is just silly. The main difference is the SH AWD, which is important to some, and not to all. Outside of that, albeit significant, that is mainly what you paying for. They are both well built cars and you can't go wrong with either. I am very happy with my 4 cylinder 2012 TSX Tech, and find the fuel economy to be good and the power to be more than ample.
i wonder where you got that price?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

you sir act like a lil bitch for being 33, not everyone has to like your car

Im on my third acura and i love them as much as the next guy ,but so what if i want and m5,im not trying to bash acura because i want a BETTER car.

wait let me guess you and your buddy CEB have all the comebacks of why a tsx v6 is better than an m3

@pyrodave im sure you are gonna get another tsx its a great car and you should.My point is most people get what they can afford, other may have more money but are not into purchasing expensive cars, so you see them in cars well below his/her budget. Just please dont feed me that tsx is the car i would buy no matter how much money i have crap.c'mon fellas lets be real with ourselves
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Im on my third acura and i love them as much as the next guy ,but so what if i want and m5,im not trying to bash acura because i want a BETTER car.

wait let me guess you and your buddy CEB have all the comebacks of why a tsx v6 is better than an m3

@pyrodave im sure you are gonna get another tsx its a great car and you should.My point is most people get what they can afford, other may have more money but are not into purchasing expensive cars, so you see them in cars well below his/her budget. Just please dont feed me that tsx is the car i would buy no matter how much money i have crap.c'mon fellas lets be real with ourselves
i agree with you on some levels of your statement.

yes, you pay what you can afford.. but when two different cars are the same price, and that person chooses the lower class car, then there is an issue.

as far as to what they choose, either they overpaid or not, its up to their decision/opinion on which car looks better. but facts are facts, one model is higher than the other.

given the option to a random selected group of buyers, i can honestly tell you only a very few percentage of people will actually choose the the lower class car over the higher class car (tsx or tl) given if they are the same price.

i could say that the is350 looks better than the gs300, but if given me the situation where i had to pick the two and they both cost the same, i would without hesitation pick the gs300.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I may act like a lil bitch in your opinion, but it's funny how when I post something using the same blanket-statement-style that you use, you get your panties in a bunch. Here's another one:

Just please dont feed me that tsx is the car i would buy no matter how much money i have crap.c'mon fellas lets be real with ourselves
No, I don't want to be "real with myself". I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I ever make it, I am getting myself a CU2, modding the shit out of it, and shipping it to wherever it is I'll be in the world. It's because I love this car, it was my first car. I don't give a crap whether everyone likes my car.

You are projecting your own insecurities by making blanket statements and generalizations. You have to qualify your ownership of Acuras with an M5. I feel sorry for you, sir.

And you're calling me out for not acting my age? I laugh at thee.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Pro

i could say that the is350 looks better than the gs300, but if given me the situation where i had to pick the two and they both cost the same, i would without hesitation pick the gs300.

^^^This was the point i was trying to make thanks potz

The way you love you car is the same i love my first acura too. In fact i always tell my friends how attached i was to my first 3g then i was my last 2 tl's.

Im all for people sticking to what they like but i tell you this much , a change in income changes peoples perspective on what they like. I've always said if i hit the lotto i would always have an acura sitting somewhere with mods to the max.

Being that this is you first car i understand why you are so defensive when someone points how the pro/cons of the car,but believe it or not i was not trying to sound like a douche in my first few post's
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Ok guys, I'm going to be real with myself for you guys for a minute. If potatoes were in fact money and you could grow them on trees, would that sway your decisions to whether or not you would choose the TL over the TSX? Because as we all know, the TL can hold a few more cubic feet of potatoes. Some people tend to think that potato capacity is all that matters in a car, and it seems that's all 4g TL owners care about. But as we all know, some people are just fine with having a few less potatoes in their trunk, even if they are able to mash them up and store more.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Just for the record, if I had the money I'd buy a 911 Carrera S but that's irrelevant since the discussion concerns TL vs TSX

In 2010 I walked into the Acura dealership fully expecting to drive off with a TL. Owned a TL and wanted another one. After comparing with the TSX V6 I could see no compelling reason to buy the TL. Didn't like the beak, the boy-racer rear-end, size, weight, interior, and performance. Affordability had nothing to do with the decision. I could be the exception, but since TSX is cannibalizing TL sales there may be something else going on besides affordability.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i'd take the is350.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by tvac
I could be the exception, but since TSX is cannibalizing TL sales there may be something else going on besides affordability.
finally, some rationality! The tsx wouldn't be in a situation where it is cannibalizing sales if it weren't a good car. Of course, most people are opting for the base tsx versus the v6 tsx so price could be a factor that's swaying drivers...but I think people aren't seeing rationale for spending extra money on a base tl versus a base tsx. Outside of performance and size, there isn't much reason to get a tl.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

If your goal was to make yourself look like an arogant ass, then you succeeded.

People buy cars for various reasons. You seem to believe that one should buy as much car as one can afford to be able to brag about what one owns.

Some people buy cars to get from point A to point B and couldn't care less about a car as a status symbol - this is the majority of the Camry/Accord/Fusion/Malibu buyers.

Some people want more creature comforts than one gets in an entry level car, want it for commuting and want reliability.

No one reason is better than another but yu are just plain wrong when you lump all TSX owners into the "they can't afford anything better" category.

In 2006, Forbes did a "what do billionaires drive" article. According to your theory, they are all idiots. All were "self drives" without drivers.
  • Bill Gates (Microsoft Co-Founder)
    • 1999 Porsche 911 Convertible
    • 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe
  • Paul Allen (Microsoft Co-Founder)
    • 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe
    • 1988 Mazda B-Series Pickup
  • Steven Balmer (Microsoft CEO)
    • 1998 Lincoln Continental
  • Warren Buffet (Investor Extraordinaire)
    • 2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series with licence plate “THRIFTY”
  • Jim Walton (CEO of Arvest Bank, Youngest son of Walmart founder Sam Walton)
    • 2002 Dodge Dakota Pickup
    • 2000 Acura Integra
    • 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    • 1999 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup
    • 1959 Cadillac
  • Ingvar Kamprad (Founder of the Swedish furniture and home goods company IKEA)
    • 1993 Volvo 240 GL
Originally Posted by potmilkz
i agree with you on some levels of your statement.

yes, you pay what you can afford.. but when two different cars are the same price, and that person chooses the lower class car, then there is an issue.

as far as to what they choose, either they overpaid or not, its up to their decision/opinion on which car looks better. but facts are facts, one model is higher than the other.

given the option to a random selected group of buyers, i can honestly tell you only a very few percentage of people will actually choose the the lower class car over the higher class car (tsx or tl) given if they are the same price.

Right!

There is no right or wrong. A M5 isn't a "better" car for commuting and a Hyundai might not be best car for the racetrack.

People buy cars for different reasons and only the narrowminded think that it is all about money.
The following 3 users liked this post by ceb:
Acura_Dude (05-11-2012), MrOtocinclus (05-11-2012), nj2pa2nc (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im all for people sticking to what they like but i tell you this much , a change in income changes peoples perspective on what they like.
This is a ridiculous statement, and obviously made by someone who's on the outside looking in.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Ive been watching both threads. and honestly, the TL guys have a better argument than you guys! lol
Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
When i was looking at cars back in 06 i looked at both the tl and tsx. I ended up with the tsx as it was what i wanted. No regrets on my decision.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

...Im all for people sticking to what they like but i tell you this much , a change in income changes peoples perspective on what they like...
This is a ridiculous statement, and obviously made by someone who's on the outside looking in.
He is absolutely correct. A change in income often comes with a change in maturity. As we mature, we realize that bling isn't as important as it once was.

Maturity doesn't come with increased income if mama and papa pay for the car - obviously the way that aspecallday got his "increased" income.

The TSX is the "cheapest" car I've owned in the last 30 years but oddly enough I've gotten more unsolicited comments on the wagon than on most other cars. In the three months that I've had the wagon, I've had people roll down their windows to tell me they like my car, comments at gas stations, shopping malls and grocery stores.

Last edited by ceb; 05-11-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The problem is that some people equate a higher price with "better."

The TL has several advantages over the TSX - it is more powerful, quieter, can be had with SH-AWD and more options. It is also larger, gets worse gas mileage and has a much larger turning radius. It has a more oppulent interior but not really more interior space.

The TSX has a more useful trunk with fold down rear seat. It gets better gas mileage and is more nimble.

If you need the SH-AWD then get the TL, otherwise get the TSX - the difference is price is so minimal as to keep the TSX and the TL in the same general ballpark.

I cross-shopped both and the larger size and the much larger turning radius put the TL out of the running. Those things that affect daily driving outweighed the SH-AWD winter handling capability for me - YMMV

Last edited by ceb; 05-11-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Ive been watching both threads. and honestly, the TL guys have a better argument than you guys! lol

they do have the looks only a mother could love
Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Pro

Wow CEB im glad you got that out of you system. You said so many things about me that i dont know where to begin

You said im arrogant,my money comes from parents and that i got the car to show boat.Just to name a few

I tried to be as nice and positive as i could be but you guys seem to want to take it some where else

i was not trying to say that all tsx owners got that car because thats all they can afford.What i was saying was a high percentage of people get whatever car is within there budget.

The reason why they are out selling the tl is because they are cheaper...wtf this is my fn point

I love how my income had to come from parents and not the fact that ive been busting my ass for years to get where im at.

I could care less about what you or anyone thinks about me, this is a forum open for discussion not all this bitchin you are doing all because i dont like your lil box on wheels.You know im right thats why you are so defensive..chill out home girl.

Beauty is skin deep, Im sure some fat ugly chick invented this

Money is not everything,You know who came up with that? A broke mofo

Now excuse me while i go show boat in my exclusive acura tl that no one else has...smh fucking clown
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think if you're 19, the TSX would be a better choice, but at the same time, it depends on what kind of 19yo you are. I know we have some teenagers on this board who are pretty mature for their age. I'll give you my perspective as someone on the wrong side of 30.

When the lease to my first TSX (CU2) was ending, I was 32. At the time, I considered 4 cars: another TSX, a BMW 335is, a TL, and even an RL. The reason I list the TL and RL last is that I initially considered these speciously, based on photos on the website, reputation, and where they were in the Acura pecking order. But, I did want to learn more about them.

I had already driven the TL as a service loaner. It was certainly more luxurious than the TSX, more refined, smoother, steering wheel turned more easily, etc. But, it was quite large. I knew I wouldn't be taking it through the twisties. Believe it or not, I also did not like the push-button start. I prefer to turn a key. I also prefer Japan-built. Lastly, the lack of a rear folding seat was a deal breaker for me.

On the other hand, my extended family would have loved the TL. It's a bigger car, floatier, and more comfortable. More legroom in the back. And, again, more cushy. If that's your thing (maybe you like traveling in style with a bunch of girls in the back seat, being 19 and all?), then the TL would be an awesome car. It exudes more of a VIP feel than the TSX.

I won't go into details about the bimmer or the RL as that's off topic, but what drove me towards the TSX again was that I just enjoy driving, and I don't really think you can argue against the fact that the TSX is just more of a nimble car than the TL. In a few years, though, my priorities would most likely change, and if I had to choose between a TSX and a TL then, I'd probably go with the TL. But, that's probably a moot point as they probably won't exist. Anyhow, good luck with your decision. You're 19, and you'll be driving either a TSX or a TL. Life is good!
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the blue tinted mirrors of the TL. I'd probably consider a TL with SH-AWD next time. I am happy with my TSX though. Even though I'll be away from it until October
Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts
No need to get offended fellas if you read why i wrote i said "speaking for myself"

@tsxguyv6guy you are 100% about it not being the case all the time but people on here try to give me that bs about them not wanting a better car then they already own.

Lets be realistic here you have to strive for better things in life so save all that im happy with what i have crap.

Wow... This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've read in a while. Not even necessary to go through the flaws of this statement. Bottom line, we chose the tsx over the tl or any other vehicle because it was the better car in several aspects, particularly ride comfort, mileage, looks, and size (we wanted a smaller car). No where did I mention price. The fact that it WAS cheaper was a bonus, but not a deciding factor.
The following users liked this post:
tvac (05-13-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Integra2TSX
Wow... This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've read in a while. Not even necessary to go through the flaws of this statement. Bottom line, we chose the tsx over the tl or any other vehicle because it was the better car in several aspects, particularly ride comfort, mileage, looks, and size (we wanted a smaller car). No where did I mention price. The fact that it WAS cheaper was a bonus, but not a deciding factor.
Ignorance is bliss. Let aspecallday feel superior because his daddy was able to afford to buy him a TL.

He apparently believes that price is the only important factor in buying a car and that the only way to buy a car is to buy the most expensive one you (or your parents) can afford. One day he'll grow up.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
In my honest opinion, the 2nd generation TSX was the most needed and best refresh of any of the Acura models. Yes OP, we know the TL is hideous and I'm still not feeling the refresh model either.

The way I see it, the 1st gen TSX although not a bad looking car, was just too bland...No sharp lines, narrow front end, and looked really high off the ground. nothing screamed about that car, EXCITEMENT.

The current TSX, looks sportier, classier, and wider stance!!! Especially the special edition with the body mods, DAYUM!!!!!

My point, go with the 2nd TSX if you're looking for a TSX or an used 06-08 TL.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Pro

What a coincidence at a local meet last night.......4g,is,2 tsx

All the cars that have been mentioned in this thread so far.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
And according to the pic, they all look good. A moddel 4G TL does look very good from what I've seen in the 4G section. Personally I can't get over the looks, but with the right wheels, lip, etc you can change the look of the car. Off topic I know, but I was commentin on the pic.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
This thread has gotten way off track and needs to be closed.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
mods dont patrol 2G TSX section anymore, they said its worse than ramblings and hope that the trolls eat us, but they are in for the lulz of watching us be devoured
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 2010 v6 tsx. They had a base tl with slightly more miles with same price. For me, tl felt more bulky, interior luxury quality wasnt really a huge upgrade, and I'm not a big fan of the tl rear. I love my tsx!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

the front end of the refresh model TL looks wayyyyyyyyyy better
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This has been an interesting read to say the least. To all the people saying the TL is so much better, really...I mean wtf do you hope to accomplish saying that in a 2g TSX forum, sway all the tsxers into thinking you are right, seriously sir you are dumb then. You know what we should fight the power and next go into a BMW forum and say how they are all stupid for buying a bmw and should have bought a mercedes, I think we can make a difference....
Old 05-14-2012, 05:17 PM

personally i do think the 4 cylinder is a good buy, but not the 6 cylinder..

the v6 tech is essentially the same price as the tl tech... well you get where im going with this..
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
as a cu2 owner, I can say that the v6 tsx makes zero sense, unless you absolutely need folding rear seats and a smaller car (but the size difference is so minute).
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm looking at trading in my 08 kbp TLS for a 2012 CU4 V6, decisions, decisions, what's a guy to do...
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-Swag
Hmm looking at trading in my 08 kbp TLS for a 2012 CU4 V6, decisions, decisions, what's a guy to do...
You're best option would be to ignore everything you've read in this thread.

Seriously guys, this is a shit thread. Stop posting and let it die.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by TL-Swag
the tl-s is gorgeous and i'd keep it! haha

Quick Reply: Why did you choose the TSX over the TL? And if not..