Why Acura with-holds the rain sensing wipers, ADAS, ACC and LKAS from North America

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why Acura with-holds the rain sensing wipers, ADAS, ACC and LKAS from North America

Why does Acura / Honda North America hold out on a lot of the goodies offered to the Accord Euro in other countries.

The rain sensing wipers should be standard in this class.

Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Mitigation Brake System should be an option (for those that need it).

Lane Keep Assist System should be offered now that the TSX is using electric steering, otherwise give us the G1 TSX steering set up.

Acura / Honda North America it's time to up the ante for us North Americans. Even the Accord Euros / TSX made in China for the Chinese market have these options!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I would love to have the rain sensing wipers and lane assist. Seems the Euro Accord is always Hondas "baby" when it comes to technology packages/options.

Matt
Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I would be happy just with power-folding side mirrors.

Acura has been slowly trying to increase their prestige. Before, they made everything standard to attract customers (on the 1G TSX, they didn't have packages...the only option was navi). I'm sure once Acura feels that people would be willing to spend more on their products, they'll start tossing in the advanced stuff. For now, if people wanted to spend more than what an Acura costs, they would go with Lexus or another competing luxury brand.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the lane assist.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
def a good question

that's def something that they should give standard...and i am highly pissed that they don't have push to start unless you buy with the tec package ........nissan has been doing push to start for a while now ..shit even mazda's have push to start now ..not to sure if it comes standard in the mazda though ..

but infiniti has standard back up camera's and push to start ..smfh ..even my wifes lexus es came with push to start standard ..if i would've only did a little more research...when i was shopping.....because i swore acura came with the most standard ....for that price idiot ..

but i can live without those things for now ...hopefully they drop more standard perks wen i am ready to get my next one many many many many years from now...
Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
+1
honestly tho, i'd be happy with just a push start.

and maybe memory side mirror plus electronic folding.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
They could if they wanted too but it would raise the price. Also it wouldn't look right if the TSX had all this equipment that the upper-level TL doesn't have.

The MDX Touring has rain sensing wipers
Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love the rain sensing wipers....and maybe blind spot sensors!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 007Acura
They could if they wanted too but it would raise the price. Also it wouldn't look right if the TSX had all this equipment that the upper-level TL doesn't have.

The MDX Touring has rain sensing wipers
My 2005 e46 which is pretty basic, b/c I didn't opt for too many options at the time of purchase has rain sensing wipers and an auto dimming rear view mirror.

It's now 2011, I think the TSX should be including such options. The actual module and electronics for the rain sensing wiper should not cost more than an extra $50-75 USD at the manufacturing level.

Even a used 2005 Mazda3 GT that cost $7,000 has rain sensing wipers. Ford Fiesta costing a pittance can have rain sensing wipers. Acura / Honda North America - Wake up!!!

They have the technology, they have market demand, but they don't deploy. For what reason...so they can turn an extra $50-100 in profit. This is a joke.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It keeping prices and lawsuits down I bet is the logic.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
In most other countries, the Accord is Honda's top of the line model. Remember, the TL is only available in North America. They do sell the RL in some other countries as the Legend.

If they have loaded up all the options (the rain sensing wipers, ADAS, ACC and LKAS), the TSXwould retail in the neighbourhood of $45-$50K, not going to happen.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Soon the Hyundai Sonata will have many of these options. The game is changing.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I want a Phaser and Photon Torpedo launcher to instantly
eliminate hostile drivers.
A Reverse Phase Tractor Beam {replusion beam} is also desired.
Shields are also good.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
In most other countries, the Accord is Honda's top of the line model. Remember, the TL is only available in North America. They do sell the RL in some other countries as the Legend.

If they have loaded up all the options (the rain sensing wipers, ADAS, ACC and LKAS), the TSXwould retail in the neighbourhood of $45-$50K, not going to happen.
THere is TSX V-6 that is as expensive as TL without push start/LEDs/nicer interior.
I would say it is time to introduce Advance packacge both in I-4 and V-6 with V-6 having SH-AWD.
I-4 Advance package should cost around $38K with all the new design head lights, Smart access, BSI, ACC/LKAS/CMBS (These are now safety features), heated steering wheel, upgraded rims. I would say it would be better to shift TSX/Euro Accord production TO NA. It will likely bring production cost by 10%. so it can be exported to EU/Latin America. Market is big enough.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've talked to many people that hate the rain sensing wipers. A leaf blows across the windshield or a bird poops on it while driving and the wipers engage only to smear it.

Back in the 1st gen MDX days, when some of them had it, people would kind of like the feature, but bitch to no end when they had to replace the windshield because it was slightly different than the regular windshield, but alot more money. A few times we'd get a car in on trade and it would have the non rain sensing winshield installed with the sensor cut off by rear view mirror and the wires tucked inside the head liner.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
THere is TSX V-6 that is as expensive as TL without push start/LEDs/nicer interior.
I would say it is time to introduce Advance packacge both in I-4 and V-6 with V-6 having SH-AWD.
I-4 Advance package should cost around $38K with all the new design head lights, Smart access, BSI, ACC/LKAS/CMBS (These are now safety features), heated steering wheel, upgraded rims. I would say it would be better to shift TSX/Euro Accord production TO NA. It will likely bring production cost by 10%. so it can be exported to EU/Latin America. Market is big enough.

This guys got the right idea. It's time for Acura to up the ante. I don't think the actual production cost will go up that much, as these are mainly modules which need to be added to the existing system. If they are selling a car in the entry-luxury arena they need to get with the program. People buy this car for the way it drives and for the features. If they wanted high performance they would get a rear wheel drive car.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech

I agree. Its all in the marketing. No one doubts that the actual cost isn't that much, but look at how much they charge for those options on the RL or ZDX. Considering how many people don't buy the tech package though, even less will buy a car with those extras + tech for the hike in price it will cause.

Just look at Apple. They keep you wanting more by not giving you everything you want. And people still buy it! Acura's marketing isn't quite that genius, but its still marketing.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Don't even get me started on Apple. They've been using the same SuperDrive for five years and won't offer Blu-ray drives because it will "compete with the iTunes store." For real? That isn't even a logical statement!

I digress, however, this is exactly the same concept that Acura is employing and they are denying themselves a sell-out market by doing so. While I do love my stripped down Acura base model, I have no intention of buying another Acura until they start putting in technology that the new Ford Fiesta has. I swear, if I have to buy a Ford to get things that Acura should have been offering in their line-up then I'm just going to snap.

And no, it won't substantially raise the cost of the vehicle at production or retail. Push start is a nominal $500-700 option at retail. What's the issue with offering it? Oh because it competes with TL? Who cares? I want the TSX because its smaller and a four cylinder. None of the attributes of the TL. So I'm denied the option because I'm not willing to step up to their big-car class and spend $45,000? Hmmm. Sounds like typical marketing.

I hope their product management team is reading this forum.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tannis
Don't even get me started on Apple. They've been using the same SuperDrive for five years and won't offer Blu-ray drives because it will "compete with the iTunes store." For real? That isn't even a logical statement!

I digress, however, this is exactly the same concept that Acura is employing and they are denying themselves a sell-out market by doing so. While I do love my stripped down Acura base model, I have no intention of buying another Acura until they start putting in technology that the new Ford Fiesta has. I swear, if I have to buy a Ford to get things that Acura should have been offering in their line-up then I'm just going to snap.

And no, it won't substantially raise the cost of the vehicle at production or retail. Push start is a nominal $500-700 option at retail. What's the issue with offering it? Oh because it competes with TL? Who cares? I want the TSX because its smaller and a four cylinder. None of the attributes of the TL. So I'm denied the option because I'm not willing to step up to their big-car class and spend $45,000? Hmmm. Sounds like typical marketing.

I hope their product management team is reading this forum.

Was talking to an automotive engineer over the weekend and he said the cost to deploy the push start was under $25 per car (depending on the model, high volume seller or low volume). Acura doesn't want you to have this feature that is desired, affordable, but doesn't jive with their strategic chess game.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ambulance chasing Lawyers.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sr20bet
Was talking to an automotive engineer over the weekend and he said the cost to deploy the push start was under $25 per car (depending on the model, high volume seller or low volume). Acura doesn't want you to have this feature that is desired, affordable, but doesn't jive with their strategic chess game.
There was a dealer principal meeting in Denver a awhile ago. They told us that starting with every full model change, the cars will have push button start. I don't know if that's every model, just the Tech models or what...? But that's what they said.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Why does Acura / Honda North America hold out on a lot of the goodies offered to the Accord Euro in other countries.

The rain sensing wipers should be standard in this class.

Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Mitigation Brake System should be an option (for those that need it).

Lane Keep Assist System should be offered now that the TSX is using electric steering, otherwise give us the G1 TSX steering set up.

Acura / Honda North America it's time to up the ante for us North Americans. Even the Accord Euros / TSX made in China for the Chinese market have these options!!!

rain sensing wipers !!! come on Acura! do something that a luxury car should do !!! i was wondering about what's the point for the electronic steering , i love my 04 tsx steering!

how should i even convince my friends that tsx is a luxury car.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

and btw, my 04 had 6 disk CD and the sound system was much better than my 10
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by White92
I've talked to many people that hate the rain sensing wipers. A leaf blows across the windshield or a bird poops on it while driving and the wipers engage only to smear it.

Back in the 1st gen MDX days, when some of them had it, people would kind of like the feature, but bitch to no end when they had to replace the windshield because it was slightly different than the regular windshield, but alot more money. A few times we'd get a car in on trade and it would have the non rain sensing winshield installed with the sensor cut off by rear view mirror and the wires tucked inside the head liner.
My M37S has Rain Sensing wipers and I love them, on rare occasion when I start they car they will wipe if something gets on them, but in 10K mile sI think that has happned 2-3 times, I never thought I would love them, but I do. I could easily live without them, btu the beauty is they adjust their speed interval based on the amount of rain, very cool.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by White92
There was a dealer principal meeting in Denver a awhile ago. They told us that starting with every full model change, the cars will have push button start. I don't know if that's every model, just the Tech models or what...? But that's what they said.
It is about time, if a Sentra and an Elantra has it a $30K TSX should have it
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Instructor

If there are over 50 replies to this thread, I will print out each post and send via post to Acura USA and Acura Canada customer relations department. Then need to wake up!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Suzuka Master

If there are over 50 replies to this thread, I will print out each post and send via post to Acura USA and Acura Canada customer relations department. Then need to wake up!
Don't waste your time Acura does not care. I owned 6 Acuras in 5 years and wrote them a letter about TL features and design and got a call where they basically said that they will file that info for future use... yeah right.