What is the maximum number of keys that can be paired to a TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 07:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the maximum number of keys that can be paired to a TSX?

Ive got a 2nd gen 2009 TSX and lost one of the OEM 4 button switchblade keys that came with the car somewhere the confines of the house. There is a small possibility that it was thrown out in the trash, but more likely it is burried in a jacket or closet or some small recess that will be found in the future.

In the meantime, I'd like to get a replacement key. Just a simple cheap mechanical key. No need for the remote.

So two questions arise.
1) are there such keys which are compatible with the car, and if so where can I buy one reliably? I just need a blank; my local locksmith said he can cut a blank for 50$ and my mechanic will program it for free.
2) if/when the original key is found, will it still work? Or does pairing the replacement key invalidate the original one? Is there a maximum number of keys that can be paired to the car?

Thanks

Eric
Old 08-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts
When I bought my 09 TSX-BASE a few months ago...it came with one programmed User-B key fob and (2) extra cut key-blades with the chips (transponders) properly programmed. I had read conflicting information as to whether I would be able to make functional fob units using my (2) cut keys without going to the dealership and paying $200-300 per (programmed) key. Even the previous owner told me I'd have to go to the dealership if I wanted to have the cut keys completed into functional fob units...the PO had the cut key blades for back-up to manually lockup and start had he needed.

Taking a chance...I bought a couple of (complete) clone fobs off Ebay and replaced the uncut key / unprogrammed chip of those fobs with my cut key blades with programmed chip. I then proceeded to program the (door/trunk) transmitter in the clone fobs using standard Honda fob instructions...with success. Now I have (2) complete backup fob units which will operate the vehicle, doors and trunk...which is the functionality I wanted for the backups. What my backup fob units won't do is allow customizing any of the settings such as Meter Setup, Door Setup, Lighting Setup, Position Setup and if the backup key is used to operate the vehicle...your custom settings will revert back to the factory defaults while using the backup key except for the seat/mirror settings.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes...you can pick up a clone (complete) key fob on Ebay
2. Yes...the original key should still work. The number of (transmitter) paired fobs is not infinite, but is something like 4 or 5.

Were I you...I'd pick up a complete clone fob off Ebay on the cheap and have the key cut and transponder chip programmed...I would then program the (door/trunk) transmitter using the standard Honda instructions. At that point you'll have a fully functional backup which only lacks the ability to allow you to program the custom settings.

Last edited by jjrphs; 08-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.