What did you pay for 2012 TSX w Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I experienced this recently with my 2010 TL. They framed the conversation this way.... We need 2010 TLs b/c our stock is very low. What they really meant was that they needed to sell a new TL. Our dealership has a high quantity model so they can get incentives from Acura. They are more interested in selling A LOT of cars versus having a better profit margin on each individual car. We figured it would actually be to our advantage if:

1. We were willing to extend our payments for 2 more years. We typically drive our cars into the ground, so this was a big consideration. No car payment = nice!

2. Pay a bit more to finance the new car. You have .9 now and will likely be offered 1.9 for the new TSX.

3. We had the brand new car bug, this might be for you. We almost fell into this but had just recently purchased a brand new car. Our TSX had 6 miles on it when we got it!

One final note. We engaged the dealership in this discussion and ultimately they got a little annoying when we said we were not interested. So I might wait to call them back unless you are leaning toward doing it.

Hope this helps.
this helps alot!

I am interested in doing it but they have to match or beat my current payment. I also have remote start, trunk and all weather floor mats and the lip spoiler. In addition the 7 year 100,000 mile waranty. If they can give me all that i will do it.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by nbaresejr
see if you guys can help me out with this.

I purchased (financed) a 2010 TSX Tech at the end of 2010. Very happy with the car and owe about 20,500 on the car still (0.9 over 60 months).

I got an email and text from my dealer that they would buy out my 2010 for a 2012 TSX at similar/ same monthly payment with $0 down.

Does this make sense? I fully understand my loan would go back to 60 months. Anyone think of a catch?
There are a ton of "catches" in this scenario.

Dealerships love to sell you a monthly payment and as soon as you've bought into that you are lost.

Do not ever buy a car based on monthly payments. Only buy a car based on the negotiated price of the new car and the negotiated price on your trade.

A dealership can always keep your payments the same. 60 months? "No, the car you want is more than that but we can do a 66 month loan. It is only another half year. That's no time at all and we'll throw in rustproofing and lifetime blinker fluid replacement that is worth much more that the extra 6 months."

Remember this - the dealer ALWAYS wins and there are tons of cars out there. The dealer isn't hurting for used cars to sell.

The "we need your used car so we'll sell you a new car really cheap" is like the Nigerian inheritance scheme - been around forever and you will always lose.

Last edited by ceb; 05-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

Remember this - the dealer ALWAYS wins and there are tons of cars out there. The dealer isn't hurting for used cars to sell.

The "we need your used car so we'll sell you a new car really cheap" is like the Nigerian inheritance scheme - been around forever and you will always lose.
+1

And financing is the bread and butter for sellers. And forget the floor mats and wheels locks, and other crap. That stuff is meaningless. Selling cars is about making money, nothing else.

afaik, right now in the Western regional sales area there is $500 trunk money and $700 back end money (on a 2012 TSX sport wagon with Tech pkg.) That means $1200 off factory invoice for the dealers (including transport and the regional ad fees.) After final price negotiation you figure taxes (where you will be registering the car), your DMV fee (your DMV website will have a calculator for the exact licensing fee), and then the doc fee. The doc fee varies state by state and in CA it cannot be more than $55 by law. Pay for the car, the taxes, the DMV fee, and the doc fee. There is nothing else. Then have them give you a price they're willing to pay for your trade-in, and as a completely separate transaction (you can have them subtract that number from your final out-the-door new car price just as a convenience.) Don't let them mix in your trade with the new car negotiation.

With trade-ins, you really should arm yourself with the current Manheim auction prices for your exact car in your exact geographical area. Depending on the car's resale potential, be aware that the Manheim (and the BB daily) prices are the 'real' trade-in values to the dealer. They need to cover themselves if the car isn't going to sell quickly (they have to pay the monthly interest on their floor whether it's new or used.) Plus the resale prices on used inventory has now dropped in May compared to March of this year (according to the WSJ) and should continue to drop (good news for buyers of used cars and bad news for those trading in or selling their car.)
The following users liked this post:
dsc888 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SIGARM
Paid $31,499 + TTL for a 2012 TSX Sport Wagon w/ Tech a month ago at Pohanka Acura in VA. Invoice was $33,779. Negotiated the price with a sales manager via email before setting foot in the dealership to go for a test drive.
Thank you for the number! I've been off the AZ forums for a while but am close to closing a deal on a Tech Wagon and dealer wanted $33.5k

It's good to know that dealers can sell cars below cost. But then again, nobody really knows the "true" cost of the dealers.

Last edited by dsc888; 06-11-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turning japanese
With trade-ins, you really should arm yourself with the current Manheim auction prices for your exact car in your exact geographical area. Depending on the car's resale potential, be aware that the Manheim (and the BB daily) prices are the 'real' trade-in values to the dealer.
Great post!!! My local dealer confirmed both of your incentives. But how does one access Manheim auction prices? I tried their site but it looks like there is no free tool. KBB.com seem to quote a bit high vs auction prices. Thank you for your info.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just letting you guys know since I started the thread lol...I ended up getting a 2012 TSX w Tech for $30,595 with 0% financing for 60 months..I'm pretty happy with that!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mryank9
Just letting you guys know since I started the thread lol...I ended up getting a 2012 TSX w Tech for $30,595 with 0% financing for 60 months..I'm pretty happy with that!
WOW! That sounds terrific! How did you get the 0% financing? Dealer is telling me it's 0.9% for up to 36 months and 1.9% up to 60 months. Enjoy your ride!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsc888
Great post!!! My local dealer confirmed both of your incentives. But how does one access Manheim auction prices? I tried their site but it looks like there is no free tool. KBB.com seem to quote a bit high vs auction prices. Thank you for your info.
You need to find someone who has a subscription access to Manheim (somebody who sells and buys cars.) You can also ask on car forums as people will often post current prices (and although it's against Manheim policies, people do it all the time.)

But if your dealer is on the up and up, just be upfront with them and have them show you. Then you can deal with them from there. I always find that a dealership will not play the 'game' if they know that you know what the game is, and are willing to let them make some money. Ask to deal directly with the sales manager and not have the salesperson act as the intermediate. Deal with both in person and at the same time. They have to make something, it is a business after all and not a charity. But just be up front with everything and discuss how much they want to make off of you and how much you are comfortable with giving them. That's really what it's all about in the end. They have to make the decision of selling their inventory for x number of dollars and that involves waiting for somebody who will pay more versus selling a certain amount of inventory to somebody who doesn't want to pay a lot. If you had 10 apples and could sell them for whatever you liked, you'd be careful and try to sell for the most you could but maybe sell a few at less because those apples are costing you money while you wait to sell them.

Also be wary of people saying what they paid for their cars. I'm not trying to imply that people are lying, but often there is a bit of exaggeration going on in car forums. Everybody wants to say that they got a 'killer' deal. And remember that financing is a big part of the seller's profits. Cars will be 'given away' if money can be made on other things like financing and/or add-ons. (btw, you can ask somebody here who is in your area and who got a huge discount for a copy of their bill of sale and use that to show a dealer.)

fwiw, here are current historical pricing trends for a 2012 TSX wagon with Tech in the Boston area:
Attached Thumbnails What did you pay for 2012 TSX w Tech?-bostonma.jpg  

Last edited by turning japanese; 06-11-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced

WOW! That sounds terrific! How did you get the 0% financing? Dealer is telling me it's 0.9% for up to 36 months and 1.9% up to 60 months. Enjoy your ride!
Just noticed you're in the Boston area. I'm actually from CT but got the best deal from Acura of Boston in Brighton. I got the 0% as part of their Memorial Day sale; their only stipulation was that you had to put down at least 20%, but I was planning on doing that anyways

But even without the 0%, they still gave me the best price on the car compared to any dealership in CT. I dealt with their internet manager Kent and my salesperson who worked with me from then on was Zack. Both were excellent
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Instructor

fyi, dsc888 is looking at wagon pricing and not sedans...
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Paid $31,499 + TTL for a 2012 TSX Sport Wagon w/ Tech a month ago at Pohanka Acura in VA. Invoice was $33,779. Negotiated the price with a sales manager via email before setting foot in the dealership to go for a test drive.
That invoice of 33779 is minus regional ad fees. The 31499 price is minus the trunk money and the back end money that dealers were getting in May. The dealer has to pay regional ad fees to the OEM. Pohanka Acura gave the car away. I suppose they no doubt had a reason. And the bottom line if this was a cash deal or not.

fwiw, this poster has only post once on Acurazine and with the above post only. Not saying it's so, but salespeople from dealerships do lurk on forums.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
10th Gear

I paid 30,500 for my '11 tech sedan last October +TTL. They originally said 31,500 was "the lowest price ever" for this car and to take it. I walked out, ignored them for a week, and they offered 30,500. Then I told them I would buy it with the all weather floor mats + trunk tray. So I paid 30,100 + the mats or 30,500 and they threw the mats in for free depending on how you look at it.

Now they call me every month asking me why I do not service it there. Have a few coupons for free oil changes.

Edit: They got it to 30,500 by using one of the coupons Acura gives their top, high volume dealers. They always have these but save them to seal deals with stubborn people (or so they told me).
Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turning japanese
That invoice of 33779 is minus regional ad fees. The 31499 price is minus the trunk money and the back end money that dealers were getting in May. The dealer has to pay regional ad fees to the OEM. Pohanka Acura gave the car away. I suppose they no doubt had a reason. And the bottom line if this was a cash deal or not.

fwiw, this poster has only post once on Acurazine and with the above post only. Not saying it's so, but salespeople from dealerships do lurk on forums.
Yes, it would seem I got a pretty good deal, and don't forget about the 1.9% Honda financing rate as well . I suppose it had to do with the combination of factors such as: 1) wagons are generally not popular among the masses; 2) the particular wagon I chose was sitting on the lot for two months (based on the state safety inspection sticker) with only four odometer miles; 3) 2013 models are coming out relatively soon; 4) The redesigned 2013 RDX was stealing attention from everything else.

I'm not active on this forum because the TSX Wagon is my wife's car, but as a car guy I check in time to time to see what the latest issues and popular mods are. I normally wouldn't post dealership information, but thought it could help others in getting a good deal.
dsc888 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Yes, it would seem I got a pretty good deal, and don't forget about the 1.9% Honda financing rate as well . I suppose it had to do with the combination of factors such as: 1) wagons are generally not popular among the masses; 2) the particular wagon I chose was sitting on the lot for two months (based on the state safety inspection sticker) with only four odometer miles; 3) 2013 models are coming out relatively soon; 4) The redesigned 2013 RDX was stealing attention from everything else.

I'm not active on this forum because the TSX Wagon is my wife's car, but as a car guy I check in time to time to see what the latest issues and popular mods are. I normally wouldn't post dealership information, but thought it could help others in getting a good deal.
Thanks for following up. Sometimes (at least on other forums) the dealers will lurk and post.

Since you financed, it all makes a bit more sense now. I doubt if a dealer would do that kind of deal as a straight up cash deal. Even at 1.9% at least it's a little something (and considering that a regular savings account interest for consumers is even lower these days.) Plus there may be some additional back end dealer incentive from Acura for financing.

Also it depends on geographic region. The TSX wagon is doing well on the West Coast. Mine was a March build and I bought it in early May. So it wasn't in the US and on the lot for very long. The 2013 model will remain unchanged, and there may not even be one anymore by 2014.

btw, right now it's .9% for 24 and 36 months. The 1.9% is for 48 and 60.

Last edited by turning japanese; 06-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.
dsc888 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you for your post. So far I have gotten the dealer to get into the high $31s which I feel is pretty fair based on what folks here have been paying for the 2012 Tech Wagon. I also plan on using they 1.9% financing. Everybody in my region, East Coast, wanted $33k+ initially on Internet quotes. But I laughed that off pretty quickly.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Just noticed you're in the Boston area. I'm actually from CT but got the best deal from Acura of Boston in Brighton. I got the 0% as part of their Memorial Day sale; their only stipulation was that you had to put down at least 20%, but I was planning on doing that anyways

But even without the 0%, they still gave me the best price on the car compared to any dealership in CT. I dealt with their internet manager Kent and my salesperson who worked with me from then on was Zack. Both were excellent
You nailed it! I got my best pricing from Kent. Kent was extremely patient and professional. So far I've gotten them to go below $32k for the Tech Wagon. But I missed the Memorial Day sale. Oh well.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You nailed it! I got my best pricing from Kent. Kent was extremely patient and professional. So far I've gotten them to go below $32k for the Tech Wagon. But I missed the Memorial Day sale. Oh well.
That's a very nice deal. I thought i did ok on a 12 tech wagon for 32,588+ttl.
The only dealer option i asked for and had them include was tint. all around and windshield too.
No wheel locks
No all weather mats (damn)
No side molding
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kball
That's a very nice deal. I thought i did ok on a 12 tech wagon for 32,588+ttl.
The only dealer option i asked for and had them include was tint. all around and windshield too.
That's not a bad deal depending on timing and region. Dealer cost is supposed to be about $300 more then what you paid. Just out of curiosity, how much was tinting at the dealer? I am debating this as I have to transport my toddler and infant son and tints are a must. And did they go with special tints since you got the NAV unit in yours as well? Thanks so much.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 AM
wagon owner

That's not a bad deal depending on timing and region. Dealer cost is supposed to be about $300 more then what you paid. Just out of curiosity, how much was tinting at the dealer? I am debating this as I have to transport my toddler and infant son and tints are a must. And did they go with special tints since you got the NAV unit in yours as well? Thanks so much.
Ceramic tint. No cost. They included in deal. BUT the az dealer i was in twice wanted $400 for tint all around. The ca dealer i ended up buying from claimed they charge $795 for tinting...and they did the windshield for me too.

In the end, I love the wagon and even if i coulda shaved 500-1000 more off, im not too worked up. Lets say i keep it 5 years, thats 100-200 a year.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Ceramic tint. No cost. They included in deal. BUT the az dealer i was in twice wanted $400 for tint all around. The ca dealer i ended up buying from claimed they charge $795 for tinting...and they did the windshield for me too.

In the end, I love the wagon and even if i coulda shaved 500-1000 more off, im not too worked up. Lets say i keep it 5 years, thats 100-200 a year.
Thanks, kball! I appreciate the info. I doubt dealers here will throw in tints for free. Being in AZ, I think you need tints more than I. I might just shop around local tint shops and see how much they charge. At the price they gave me, about $31.9k, they would NOT even throw in all season mats. But that's here in the East coast. And I hear what you mean about not making a big fuss over a few hundred bucks. Happiness is far too important.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Thanks, kball! I appreciate the info. I doubt dealers here will throw in tints for free. Being in AZ, I think you need tints more than I. I might just shop around local tint shops and see how much they charge. At the price they gave me, about $31.9k, they would NOT even throw in all season mats. But that's here in the East coast. And I hear what you mean about not making a big fuss over a few hundred bucks. Happiness is far too important.
They wouldn't throw in the mats for me either haha..but on eBay I just got the OEM trunk liner, OEM all season mats, and wheel locks for $135 with free shipping..couldn't beat it
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
wagon owner

You can always see if another dealer will match that price AND include tint. That's what mine did (the internet sales manager) to get me to buy that week.
It was basically one email, and a 5 minute phone call to seal deal and she totally delivered with no BS. They claimed to be the #1 acura dealer in the western area last year and had 8 or 9 wagons on the lot which was more than any other dealer around az i tried.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

They wouldn't throw in the mats for me either haha..but on eBay I just got the OEM trunk liner, OEM all season mats, and wheel locks for $135 with free shipping..couldn't beat it
Awesome! It's the All Season Protection package which MSRPs for $300. May I ask who the seller is on Ebay?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

You can always see if another dealer will match that price AND include tint. That's what mine did (the internet sales manager) to get me to buy that week.
It was basically one email, and a 5 minute phone call to seal deal and she totally delivered with no BS. They claimed to be the #1 acura dealer in the western area last year and had 8 or 9 wagons on the lot which was more than any other dealer around az i tried.
kball,

Good to know. I really like Acura of Boston, who i have used for the last 8 years for my TL. They came back with the most aggressive price where as the other dealers either didn't care or didn't think I was telling them the truth about the price I was able to get. Oh well.

Well, I will be going to the dealership tomorrow and I may end up with a very, very expensive Father's Day present from myself to myself.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced

Awesome! It's the All Season Protection package which MSRPs for $300. May I ask who the seller is on Ebay?
hey yea..the seller's name on ebay was moneydoor
dsc888 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

hey yea..the seller's name on ebay was moneydoor
Thanks so much! I just got the same deal as you. The transaction went through Paypal instead of Ebay. Unbelievable pricing!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Anyone know how I could go about upgrading to the newer model year?

Currently, I am in a '11 that I got back in October and I'm leasing. I got this car instead of waiting for a wagon because I sold my car a few days before and was car-less.

My local dealer has a base wagon I would like to lease. But, they are saying I would have to put $3k down in order for my payments to remain the same. I could have sworn I read on this forum that people are getting called to upgrade to the newer model year at no charge, only an extension of the lease.

Also, this particular car has been on their lot for almost two months now. It's a base model in blue.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Thanks so much! I just got the same deal as you. The transaction went through Paypal instead of Ebay. Unbelievable pricing!
No problem! I actually just got my package yesterday..everything is great
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxgator

Currently, I am in a '11 that I got back in October and I'm leasing. I got this car instead of waiting for a wagon because I sold my car a few days before and was car-less.

My local dealer has a base wagon I would like to lease. But, they are saying I would have to put $3k down in order for my payments to remain the same. I could have sworn I read on this forum that people are getting called to upgrade to the newer model year at no charge, only an extension of the lease.

Also, this particular car has been on their lot for almost two months now. It's a base model in blue.
anyone have any advice on how i can approach this?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
anyone have any advice on how i can approach this?
which dealership you talkin about? i can put you through to my guy at ramsey acura if you'd like, he has pretty much the best deals around, maybe he can help you out as long as your current car is clean
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts

Those emails/letters/calls offering to put you in a new car at the same payment are all scams.

The reality is that the dealer will give you the auction value for your car and then will roll anything you owe over that amount into your new loan/lease. Trading a year old car will cost you ~$5k plus taxes and so forth.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PyroDave
which dealership you talkin about? i can put you through to my guy at ramsey acura if you'd like, he has pretty much the best deals around, maybe he can help you out as long as your current car is clean
Northeast Acura.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to bring this post from the dead but I am shopping for a tsx wagon tech package for my wife and the Orange County, CA dealer is telling me for the 2012 model they are getting close to $5k off and they quoted me $31,079 for it. Is this a good deal? Who just recently bought one and what did you pay for it? What should i make them an offer for? Thank you in advance guys!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Addicted2Racing
Sorry to bring this post from the dead but I am shopping for a tsx wagon tech package for my wife and the Orange County, CA dealer is telling me for the 2012 model they are getting close to $5k off and they quoted me $31,079 for it. Is this a good deal? Who just recently bought one and what did you pay for it? What should i make them an offer for? Thank you in advance guys!
Hi there,

I just purchased a 2012 Tech wagon from a dealer here in Northern VA this past Saturday. I do realize that I'm on the opposite coast, but I did manage to get a pretty sweet deal on the wagon. I sent out a bunch of requests for internet "e-price" to several dealers, and a few of them responded, with one which quoted me at ~$28,600 (which does not include all the tax/titling etc) That's the one I went with and I'm now a proud owner of a new wagon

Hope that helps.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bezita
Hi there,

I just purchased a 2012 Tech wagon from a dealer here in Northern VA this past Saturday. I do realize that I'm on the opposite coast, but I did manage to get a pretty sweet deal on the wagon. I sent out a bunch of requests for internet "e-price" to several dealers, and a few of them responded, with one which quoted me at ~$28,600 (which does not include all the tax/titling etc) That's the one I went with and I'm now a proud owner of a new wagon

Hope that helps.
Do you mind sharing which dealer and salesman you purchase it from, or you can PM me. To pay shipping is cheaper than the ones I get quoted here in Orange County. Thank you in advance!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Try getting another 1k off the price and realize that soon their may not be any 2012's left and that wagons are more rare than sedans.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Also in Northern VA, bought a Silver Moon 2012 TSX Tech for 29,600 in January
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
10th Gear

I got a quote of $33,050 OTD.

They added the destination charge in the title & fees? It was $1704.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Hi there,

Hope that helps.
Wow!! That is an amazing deal. I paid $30,800 and that was at least 2k less than any other dealer offered. Did you buy via email? BTW.. I shopped in CT and Westchester area of NY.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi there,

Hope that helps.

Pohanka Acura? Sounds like the price they quoted me.

Quick Reply: What did you pay for 2012 TSX w Tech?