Urgent! Do I pay too much for my 2012 TSX special edition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
+1 on what tsxy luster said. i've had my car for 3 weeks now and i still got a call last week from a dealership i talked to asking me to come in and talk to them. i'm pretty sure by the end of the month, you'll be getting a call daily. they're gonna try to move cars at the end of each month.

lugnuts, hook a brotha up with the name and number of your dealership. if it's close by, and they can offer you the same deal, it's worth it. i drove 40+ miles to dave's dealership.
The following users liked this post:
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I did PM Dave but he's not on here right now...I will shop around in the mean time. Thanks again
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ally, if you dont mind driving 3-4 hours to get your car PM me and ill give you my contact. All the best!!!

I just realized that I have posted a total of 9 times including this one in 6 years of being a member. I am going back into hiding.
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lugnuts
Ally, if you dont mind driving 3-4 hours to get your car PM me and ill give you my contact. All the best!!!

I just realized that I have posted a total of 9 times including this one in 6 years of being a member. I am going back into hiding.
Thanks!! I just did!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
I've dealt with gunn Acura on many occasions. They lied to me about my old TL-S. I went to Austin to David mcdavid Acura to find my current whip. Im glad i dod cause there customer service is awesome. At GUNN they are pushy and can be somewhat rude at. From my experiences anyways.
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
I've dealt with gunn Acura on many occasions. They lied to me about my old TL-S. I went to Austin to David mcdavid Acura to find my current whip. Im glad i dod cause there customer service is awesome. At GUNN they are pushy and can be somewhat rude at. From my experiences anyways.
Totally agree!! They told me it's one simple price, after I walked out they have 2, 3 manager called me back if gave me the guilty trip like " Oh we worked really hard to served you and now you walked away just like that", and they weren't very nice to told me that If I decide to walk away, they will turn down the loan and I won't be get approve from any Acura dealer. That's retarded!! And they just called to told me they will have a customer to coming in to see the car this evening blah..blah.. I don't care!! If they are not giving me a good deal, It's OK!!
By the way... Thank you for letting me know about Mc david Acura...

Last edited by Ally; 03-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ally
Thanks!! I just did!
PM replied
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lugnuts
PM replied
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Totally agree!! They told me it's one simple price, after I walked out they have 2, 3 manager called me back if gave me the guilty trip like " Oh we worked really hard to served you and now you walked away just like that", and they weren't very nice to told me that If I decide to walk away, they will turn down the loan and I won't be get approve from any Acura dealer. That's retarded!! And they just called to told me they will have a customer to coming in to see the car this evening blah..blah.. I don't care!! If they are not giving me a good deal, It's OK!!
Tell them, "sell it then", and I bet it will still be there this weekend. Ask for Desmond in Austin if you talk to David mcdavid. The straw that broke the camels back for me with Gunn was I called and needing some things done to my car that would take 3-4 hrs according to them. So I asked for a loaner and the lady booking it literally laughed and said "you can just wait in our lobby, it's only 3 hrs". Really? Weekend are my only free time as I work long hours in the week and spend weekends in San Antonio with my daughter. Came back to Austin for the week for work. They worked with my schedule and gave me a loaner for 4 days which totaled over 1500 miles. They could care less an just wanted to make sure I was happy. The comparison between the 2 is worlds apart. They just need another Acura dealer in San Antonio and I'm sure their attitude would change.
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
Tell them, "sell it then", and I bet it will still be there this weekend. Ask for Desmond in Austin if you talk to David mcdavid. The straw that broke the camels back for me with Gunn was I called and needing some things done to my car that would take 3-4 hrs according to them. So I asked for a loaner and the lady booking it literally laughed and said "you can just wait in our lobby, it's only 3 hrs". Really? Weekend are my only free time as I work long hours in the week and spend weekends in San Antonio with my daughter. Came back to Austin for the week for work. They worked with my schedule and gave me a loaner for 4 days which totaled over 1500 miles. They could care less an just wanted to make sure I was happy. The comparison between the 2 is worlds apart. They just need another Acura dealer in San Antonio and I'm sure their attitude would change.
I heard you... They are not good at keeping their customer happy at all My thought have changed about them since the last visit...I do wish they have more Acura dealer in San Antonio...oh well... I don't mind to drive far if the other dealer have better service... THanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
At this point I wouldn't even buy the car if they drop it more and more from that dealership. Sounds like a few dealers around this area. Everything else has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, but here is a short list in one place.

1. Do your own research
2. Check out truecar.com for comparable rates and real sales
3. Require a copy of all paperwork and/or don't sign a thing
4. Keep a cool and collective mind and fight all emotion.. its a business deal.
5. Remember you can walk away anytime
6. Don't be afraid to be stern, a dealer is in it to make money.

If in fact the 5 dealers I went to prior to purchasing my TSX actually had people looking at the exact same car then they must all be millionaires. Its an old game that the internet busts wide open.

Lastly, I found sending an internet request with no phone number, only email kept the pressure low and allowed me to cherry pick the best price for a 2011 at the time.

Hope you get the right car at the right price!

Matt
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
hey ally, i'll reply here instead of in the PM. sorry, my wednesdays and thursdays suck being class+work straight 9-8PM, i got a quick break now. i'd give you my dealers info, but im in north jersey, i dont think that would help you. TSXy luster, if you see people in PA, NJ, NY or CT looking for a dealer or quote, feel free to send them my way, for any acura. but the rest i can't help all that much =P

Good Luck Ally, remember, they will do anything for a decent sale, that includes telling you that you can walk away, but they wont go any lower, trust me, they usually do. and a negotiating tip. if gunn says they can do 32,000 out the door, tell the austin, i was offered 31,500 by another dealer, you dont have to specify which. they'll say hold on, let me talk to my manager, and either beat it or say theres no way you got a price that low, we can't beat it. thats what i did for my lease
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Sry PyroDip. stak mentioned your name, and I forgot to check with the OP's location. I really just wanted the free pen.

I drove an hour out from where I live to get my car because it was the cheapest in a 200 mile radius. I'm glad I did because even though I told the dealership 15mins from me how cheap the other one was offering, they still couldn't beat it. The sales guy was actually really sad because his manager wouldn't let him go lower to get my business. I also dealt with a jackhole dealership and its salesperson where I drove 2 hours just to have the quoted internet price laughed at.... I even had a printout, and they still jacked me around. I got a copy of their new silly price, walked out, and never went back.
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
Sry PyroDip. stak mentioned your name, and I forgot to check with the OP's location. I really just wanted the free pen.

I drove an hour out from where I live to get my car because it was the cheapest in a 200 mile radius. I'm glad I did because even though I told the dealership 15mins from me how cheap the other one was offering, they still couldn't beat it. The sales guy was actually really sad because his manager wouldn't let him go lower to get my business. I also dealt with a jackhole dealership and its salesperson where I drove 2 hours just to have the quoted internet price laughed at.... I even had a printout, and they still jacked me around. I got a copy of their new silly price, walked out, and never went back.
that reminds me, i never got my pen
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
that reminds me, i never got my pen
yea where did that pen go...*twirls acura pen in hands...
Ally (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Thank you guys...Im still looking
Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid $28,885 + 885 desitination fee for mine.
Ally (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by goalie29
I paid $28,885 + 885 desitination fee for mine.
How much did you paid for the OTD price if you don't mind sharing?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got mine for 30,250 out the door >.> 2012 BWP SE
Ally (03-28-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Out the door prices don't help much for comparison because there are too many variables.

Those variables are tax and DMV rates and any impact that a trade may have on the tax rate. In addition, while important for the negotiation process, the dealer processing fee should be broken down.

Let me give you an example.

I bought my car in VA that has a $399 processing fee and does not consider the value of the trade in calculating tax. MD has a $99 maximum processing fee and subtract the value of the trade for sales tax calculations.

Since my car is registered in MD, the value of my trade was considered and I ended up paying something like $20 in sales tax. I also negotiated to pay no more than the MD processing fee.

Accordingly, my out the door price was artificially low for most VA buyers. To be able to properly compare prices, one would need to know:

Negotiated price
Processing fee
A dealer with a higher processing fee is more likely to negotiate more (at least in principle) but there are also vast regional differences.

I found dealers in CO with a 699 processing fee less willing to negotiate than a VA dealer with the $399 fee. In this case it was because VA dealers have way more competition - we have six or seven local dealers. VA dealers were more willing to deal than MD dealers - probably because of the processing fee.

Does that help?

I'm also not sure if those near $30k prices are actually for SE versions. That seems awfully low for out the door.
Ally (03-28-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay away from these people! These are pressure tactics that are not necessary. You can buy this car anywhere in the country and you have the leverage in this deal they are trying to get you to make an emotional decision. A car deal should feel right and you shouldn't have bells going off in your head that something is wrong. My advice is go somewhere else. The new SE are out there and dealers are wanting to move them.
Ally (03-28-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
http://www.johneagleacura.com/new/Ac...32cfbea295.htm

Offer them $500 over invoice or TMV - they will take it. I have purchased 7 acuras there.

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx/201...7695&trim=base
Ally (03-28-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by miner
http://www.johneagleacura.com/new/Ac...32cfbea295.htm

Offer them $500 over invoice or TMV - they will take it. I have purchased 7 acuras there.

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx/201...7695&trim=base
the $500 over invoice trick isn't a real guideline. My dealer's starting price was waaay below invoice, so sometimes you have to adjust.
Ally (03-28-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Out the door prices don't help much for comparison because there are too many variables.

Those variables are tax and DMV rates and any impact that a trade may have on the tax rate. In addition, while important for the negotiation process, the dealer processing fee should be broken down.

Let me give you an example.

I bought my car in VA that has a $399 processing fee and does not consider the value of the trade in calculating tax. MD has a $99 maximum processing fee and subtract the value of the trade for sales tax calculations.

Since my car is registered in MD, the value of my trade was considered and I ended up paying something like $20 in sales tax. I also negotiated to pay no more than the MD processing fee.

Accordingly, my out the door price was artificially low for most VA buyers. To be able to properly compare prices, one would need to know:

Negotiated price
Processing fee
A dealer with a higher processing fee is more likely to negotiate more (at least in principle) but there are also vast regional differences.

I found dealers in CO with a 699 processing fee less willing to negotiate than a VA dealer with the $399 fee. In this case it was because VA dealers have way more competition - we have six or seven local dealers. VA dealers were more willing to deal than MD dealers - probably because of the processing fee.

Does that help?

I'm also not sure if those near $30k prices are actually for SE versions. That seems awfully low for out the door.
this is true, OTD is pretty useless when comparing with people who live in a different state. However, you should def be aware of your states (and your surrounding states) taxes and processing fees. I actually do the reverse of ceb. Live in VA but always buy in MD. The cheaper processing fees allow you to focus your negotiating elsewhere and the sales tax is cheaper in VA then MD. You pay the sales tax for whichever state you live.

Honestly, if you live in MD, I'm not sure why you would buy your car in VA.
Ally (03-28-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by live2hit01
this is true, OTD is pretty useless when comparing with people who live in a different state. However, you should def be aware of your states (and your surrounding states) taxes and processing fees. I actually do the reverse of ceb. Live in VA but always buy in MD. The cheaper processing fees allow you to focus your negotiating elsewhere and the sales tax is cheaper in VA then MD. You pay the sales tax for whichever state you live.

Honestly, if you live in MD, I'm not sure why you would buy your car in VA.
Generally there are no good reasons for buying in VA - but - in my case, Pohanka had the best price and agreed to the MD processing fee.

I actually took their deal (which included a trade) to two MD dealers and said "I'll buy right now if you can match this deal" and neither were even close.

On the final paperwork, the deal showed the full $399 processing fee, but they backed down the negotiated price of the car by $300. That way they can say "we charge everyone the $399 processing fee" - but really don't.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
Ally (03-28-2012), live2hit01 (03-23-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Thank you everyone
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Thank you everyone
So what did you do?
Ally (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Goodbye.

Yes, please update!
Ally (03-29-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check for add ons like GAP, Lojack and a "premium". You should not pay more than 100 for GAP. Dealers like to charge between 500 and 1500 for GAP.

When I bought my Type R a long time ago the Acura dealer tried charging me for Lojack and said they put it on all Type Rs and NSXs. I told them no and that I would walk away.

It is illegal in Texas to put a premium on a new car that has not been titled yet.

There are also three prices on a car: MSRP, Dealer Invoice and the price the dealer really paid for the car. Dealer Invoice is not always what they paid for the car.

Always try to talk to the internet sales and/or fleet manager to buy a car if you use a dealer.
Ally (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
That's cheap compared to what we pay in Canada. My TSX was substantially more..
Ally (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

Thanks again everyone
**ceb and TSXy Luster: YES I will update as soon as I have the car! lol..maybe some picture too if i'm not too lazy
Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you haven't purchased already, you should definitely take a drive up to Austin; they're not high-pressured there. I walked in, got a test drive and actually had the salesman talk me out of getting a new car, after mentioning to him how much I like my current one. !

If the San Antonio dealership is this untrustworthy during the sale, they're certainly not going to be any better at after-sales support, are they?

I would just stop communicating with them and reset and go elsewhere, unless you really have no other choice.
Ally (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Intermediate

@FanaticFan: I agree with you about the dealer in Austin, and they are giving me much better deal too Somehow those dealer in Austin and Houston giving me a better quote than the one in San Antonio where I live. Meanwhile, Im in no hurry, so I just be patient and shop around. Im torn between the 2012 TL and TSX SE though
Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Snow Trooper

I just got a red 5AT with side molding, lip spoiler and backup sensors for 29k out the door. I am in Va so tax is 3.5% plus tags and a 299 processing fee. Hope that helps with your bargaining.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tnguyen88
I just got a red 5AT with side molding, lip spoiler and backup sensors for 29k out the door. I am in Va so tax is 3.5% plus tags and a 299 processing fee. Hope that helps with your bargaining.
What dealer did you got to get that price? I'm hoping I can get as good a deal as you for the SE 6MT.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Isn't processing in VA $399? In addition, that is subject to state sales tax at 3%

I'm not calling you out on this but I've noticed that there is a tendency in these forums to make yourself look like a better negotiator.

Was there a trade involved? If so, then the price of the new car is really an unknown.

Dealers will try to determine where your priorities are. If you want a good price on the new car then they'll screw you on the trade - if your goal is to get a good price on the trade then you'll get screwed on the new car.

Let's be realistic. A dealer won't take a loss on a car. Their cost is invoice minus holdback minus cash to dealer incentives minus quantity bonuses.

Invoice is a known amount as is the holdback and incentives. What isn't known to anyone but dealership management, are the quantity bonuses. The bigger the dealership, the more likely that selling that extra car at the end of the month might bump them into a different significant category.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This guy got a 5AT base most likely for that price and yea...some people do lie about the numbers to make it look like they got the best deal.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One helpful tip: I always ask what the processing fee is upfront and regardless of what it is, unless it's $100 or less, I reduce my planned initial offer by the amount of the fee.

These fees are out of hand and a back door way to profit- I've seen fees in recent years go from $50 to $200 to $500 to $600 at some places. It does not cost an Acura dealer $600 to file a title, file a financing contract/cash my check, mail me a license plate, and wash the car for delivery.

I'll say staying calm works too- I actually left the dealer with my parents when buying my TSX and 20 minutes later had the deal done at the price we wanted.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Snow Trooper

Originally Posted by ceb
Isn't processing in VA $399? In addition, that is subject to state sales tax at 3%

I'm not calling you out on this but I've noticed that there is a tendency in these forums to make yourself look like a better negotiator.

Was there a trade involved? If so, then the price of the new car is really an unknown.

Dealers will try to determine where your priorities are. If you want a good price on the new car then they'll screw you on the trade - if your goal is to get a good price on the trade then you'll get screwed on the new car.

Let's be realistic. A dealer won't take a loss on a car. Their cost is invoice minus holdback minus cash to dealer incentives minus quantity bonuses.

Invoice is a known amount as is the holdback and incentives. What isn't known to anyone but dealership management, are the quantity bonuses. The bigger the dealership, the more likely that selling that extra car at the end of the month might bump them into a different significant category.
I went in and negotiated a OTD price so yes, the 29k price I got included all fees and taxes. I called other dealers in the area to see if I anyone could beat it and all the 2 other dealers I spoke with said that price was insane. I did not have a trade in, and did not disclose what my down payment would be during negotiation since I did not want that to factor in on the negotiation. I basically came in and said I wanted the car for 27k OTD, but I had a set price of 28k that I was willing to pay. The sales man countered with a number above 28k and I told him that I'd be willing to pay that price if he included the accessories I wanted. He tried to quote me MSRP on the accessories but I showed him the prices from hondacuraplanet.com which he decided to match. I haggled a bit on the labor since I basically said I was perfectly capable of installing the parts myself. Eventually we got to a price of 29k including the parts and labor and the deal was made.

There was some dealer cash involved in the deal so, on paper the price is a little higher but I ended up putting down 5k and financing 24k and got 1.9% for 5 years. I got this deal at Radley Acura in Falls Church, VA and worked with Al and would highly recommend anyone to him. If you still think I'm BSing I will gladly post a sales sheet.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I went in and negotiated a OTD price so yes, the 29k price I got included all fees and taxes. I called other dealers in the area to see if I anyone could beat it and all the 2 other dealers I spoke with said that price was insane. I did not have a trade in, and did not disclose what my down payment would be during negotiation since I did not want that to factor in on the negotiation. I basically came in and said I wanted the car for 27k OTD, but I had a set price of 28k that I was willing to pay. The sales man countered with a number above 28k and I told him that I'd be willing to pay that price if he included the accessories I wanted. He tried to quote me MSRP on the accessories but I showed him the prices from hondacuraplanet.com which he decided to match. I haggled a bit on the labor since I basically said I was perfectly capable of installing the parts myself. Eventually we got to a price of 29k including the parts and labor and the deal was made.

There was some dealer cash involved in the deal so, on paper the price is a little higher but I ended up putting down 5k and financing 24k and got 1.9% for 5 years. I got this deal at Radley Acura in Falls Church, VA and worked with Al and would highly recommend anyone to him. If you still think I'm BSing I will gladly post a sales sheet.
So you are saying that Radley sold you a base TSX for $29000 minus $500 in accessories, minus the $399 processing (Radley's processing is $399) minus tags and fees. Taxes are about $900 and DMV fees are about $250.

Let's back that out

$29000 minus
$500 minus
$400 minus
$900 minus
$250 equals

$26950 for the base 2012 TSX. I don't believe that for a second. There is either more to the story (what's this "There was some dealer cash involved in the deal so, on paper the price is a little higher" mean?) or you forgot what you paid.

Invoice for the car is $29,151 before advertising and other costs). Back out $500 for manufacturer to dealer incentives and you're at $28650 with is about $1k below Edmunds target price and $350 below the USAA price (probably the "no haggle" gold standard.)

You're telling us that you got the car $4k under MSRP and $2000 below dealer cost. There isn't that much in hidden stuff or holdback in the car and the kickback they get from Acura Financial doesn't make that up either.

I would like you to get me the identical deal on the identical car.

Quick Reply: Urgent! Do I pay too much for my 2012 TSX special edition?