Updated review from Jeff @ VTEC.net

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
TSX Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updated review from Jeff @ VTEC.net

I thought this deserved its own thread. Please mr. moderator don't me for reposting.

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Jeff from VTEC posted an updated review on the TSX.

Here's what he says:

I've had the '09 TSX for about a week now and I've now put more than 800 miles on it. In that amount of wheel time, I've managed to forget about comparing this to the previous generation TSX and instead shift my focus on what the 2009 TSX is all about.

First off, I think the new motor is certainly a win. The tractability is amazing and as long as you have about 3000 rpms on the tach, the car pulls pretty nicely (it gets even better at 4000 rpms). This means that you're not suffering a huge penalty by short shifting the car, nor do you ever find yourself in that vast black hole of torque on the 1-2 upshift that existed on the previous generation TSX. While the really curvy roads required constant shifting between 2nd and 3rd, even in my modified TSX, I found that this car pulled out of most turns on the same roads with quite a bit of zest by staying in 3rd gear. Only on the very tightest hairpins did I even think about kicking it down into 2nd. On top of all that, this car has delivered what I consider to be amazing fuel economy (for a 3400+ lb 4-cylinder). So far my net average over the entire 800 miles is over 26mpg, and that includes the dyno sessions and several hours at the drag strip. 30mpg on the freeway is quite easy, and 30+ mpg is even easier on secondary roads with posted speeds of 45-55mph. I imagine that with the taller gearing, 5AT owners may be reporting lower-mid 30's on the freeway.

I took the car to the drag strip yesterday, and invited LudegarH22A7 along so he could help shoot some video and photos. We went to the strip in Montgomery, AL, which is about 170 miles from home. The TSX felt really good on the freeway, the seats are superbly comfortable and the amazing ELS audio system helped the miles fly by. We tested the iPod interface with Jay's (Ludegar) iPhone and his 4th gen 60GB iPod video, and both interfaced successfully. Interestingly, on the 60GB iPod video, once the connection was established, his screen displayed an Acura logo - I meant to get a photo of it, but unfortunately I forgot. The iPhone displayed some error message about how it was connected to an incompatible peripheral, but we were able to play music from it anyhow. When not listening to the music on either of his iPods, we played songs off of an 8GB SDHC card, attached via a Sandisk Micromate USB SD reader.

As I mentioned earlier, with the miles, the steering feel has improved in the car somewhat, and I've also grown more accustomed to it, so until I drive something with more feel, it's not aggravating me anymore. The car doesn't meander as much within its lane now, which is a also huge plus. I spent the day playing around with the car on some of my favorite local mountain roads and found a new level of respect for the car. While I still think it's not quite as responsive as the previous TSX, it is still more than willing to get down and boogie. I want to say the car actually is a now a bit more neutral than the past TSX, but I'd have to get back behind the wheel of an older one to certify that statement. When playing around with it, I found that I could effect very a mild degree of oversteer when dialing in the correct amounts of steering and throttle inputs. I was able to sense the additional weight, but I may not have noticed it so much if the tires didn't start getting greasy. The brakes are supposed to be mostly carryover, with the exception of slightly larger rear rotors and the addition of brake assist, but there seems to be more to it, because considering the additional vehicle weight, the additional braking power and fade resistance seem to indicate that there's more to it than that. The new steering wheel has a nice fat rim and it may just be an illusion, but it seems smaller in diameter than the previous one, which gives it a nice and sporty feel.

If you're wondering how it did at the track, it did okay - 0-60 in 7.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 15.8@88.5 (it was so consistent I did 3 consecutive 15.8s). The car could definitely do a bit better than that - there were significant grip issues - I was launching at part throttle, just off idle, and then ramping into it - otherwise I would get a lot of wheelspin and/or axle hop. And driving it today, I think the car actually feels stronger now - I performed a 5-60mph run and the performance computer registered 7.2 seconds. I need to analyze the numbers from that run and compare it to one of the 15.8 runs to see how they line up. While it may not be a burner at the strip, on the street this car feels like it has more "everyday" speed to offer than the '08 TSX.

Overall, I think if you were considering taking a look at the '09 TSX, but were put off by the initial drive reports (including the one we published last month), I think the TSX deserves a hard second look. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to drive it again, as the time with it has certainly improved its position in my book. The level of luxury for the money is quite impressive, and it's a better all-around performer than I initially gave it credit for. Add the impressive fuel economy on top of that, and the car has a lot of things going for it.

Link
Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Good to see some positive feedback. I certainly didn't think the 09 would be a sales flop and by most accounts it won't be. But it still doesn't sound like its enough of an improvement over the first gen, at least from my perspective.

It would have been nice if Jeff had some seat time in some competitor cars. While comparing it to the previous gen is worthwhile it doesn't tell us where this car stands against the competition today. Sure it's better than the 08...but it better be. As should any new model.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Good to see some positive feedback. I certainly didn't think the 09 would be a sales flop and by most accounts it won't be. But it still doesn't sound like its enough of an improvement over the first gen, at least from my perspective.
I think some of the problem is that not everyone is looking to improve the performance of the car. I know some G1 owners bought the car as a 'stepping stone' on the way to something else, but many bought it for what is is. For those folks, this is a good upgrade.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by Colin
I think some of the problem is that not everyone is looking to improve the performance of the car. I know some G1 owners bought the car as a 'stepping stone' on the way to something else, but many bought it for what is is. For those folks, this is a good upgrade.
In my case I have been driving Acuras of similar size and specs for years and really don't car about big hp and torque numbers. I am concerned about handling. I hope to get a test drive on a 6MT tonight. If I do I will give you a full report.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Heh, I'm hoping to have a drive in a few hours myself....
Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
and the car he's driving hasnt enen been broken in yet
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
nice to hear some more positive reviews, i would imagine the handling would get better with some lighter weight wheels and some high performance tires.

should also be interesting to see what hondata can do with this new engine/ECU

i'm curious to hear the ELS sound system as well...
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Part of me is curious and wants to go to the dealer for a test drive on Saturday, but I don't want to be tempted into buying a new car.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by prballard
I hope to get a test drive on a 6MT tonight. If I do I will give you a full report.
I was able to get behind the wheel last night and much more fun 09 stuff. I will write it up this and post it on seperate thread later this morning.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Part of me is curious and wants to go to the dealer for a test drive on Saturday, but I don't want to be tempted into buying a new car.
first year gremlins, first year gremlins, first year gremlins
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
That's what I keep telling myself. That, and I want to wait for the diesel.

It's just so tempting because I don't have navi in my 04, and would like bluetooth and iPod integration, etc. I'm being wooed by the tech that isn't in my 04.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've seen and driven the new TSX and I got to tell you that it was way more than I expected. Looks better in person and I would say more refined than sporty. I would actually consider getting one if I knew the styling and performance goodies would be soon to follow. Word is though that they will have a Type-S.
Think I'll wait!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Not getting caught again.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The improvement seems to be pretty small. The competition is much tougher now in the same market segment, I think TSX sales will likely go below Gen1 if you compare the model years from 2004.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMQ
The improvement seems to be pretty small. The competition is much tougher now in the same market segment, I think TSX sales will likely go below Gen1 if you compare the model years from 2004.
That might be true if the only possible pool of buyers were former or current G1 owners.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
TSX Lover

That might be true if the only possible pool of buyers were former or current G1 owners.
Hey Colin have you driven a 09 yet? I got big a difference between my 6MT test drive and my 5AT test drive. I was hoping you would give your opinion.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Colin have you driven a 09 yet? I got big a difference between my 6MT test drive and my 5AT test drive. I was hoping you would give your opinion.
I drove an AT yesterday and my thoughts are up on my page along with a few pics. I have a limited amount of time in the MT but didn't notice any real difference in the steering between the two. I'm planning to drive more today to see if I feel the same thing that you're talking about.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
TSX Lover

I drove an AT yesterday and my thoughts are up on my page along with a few pics. I have a limited amount of time in the MT but didn't notice any real difference in the steering between the two. I'm planning to drive more today to see if I feel the same thing that you're talking about.
Thanks for posting. Just got in from tennis. Now I am icing my knee.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Race Director

well, i'll take a look at colin's review then on his page.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for posting. Just got in from tennis. Now I am icing my knee.
Yeah, you'd think knees would last longer than 46 years.... mine ache all the time too, and tennis is a thing of the past for me.

Spent a bit more time in the MT today, and I cannot detect any difference between the two cars' steering. I do however have a theory why current TSX owners are having such a hard time.

Current owners are driving a car with a 16.0 to 1 ratio. The new TSX is 14.8 to 1. This makes it much more sensitive to steering inputs. I have had little trouble adapting to this because I've been driving EPS equipped S2000s for the last 8 years. Our first one had a 13.8 to 1 ratio, and the current one has a 14.9 to 1.

I have a decent amount of track experience and I really appreciate the quick ratio. I agree the steering is overboosted, but no more so than the RDX or S2000.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 AM
TSX Lover

Yeah, you'd think knees would last longer than 46 years.... mine ache all the time too, and tennis is a thing of the past for me.

Spent a bit more time in the MT today, and I cannot detect any difference between the two cars' steering. I do however have a theory why current TSX owners are having such a hard time.

Current owners are driving a car with a 16.0 to 1 ratio. The new TSX is 14.8 to 1. This makes it much more sensitive to steering inputs. I have had little trouble adapting to this because I've been driving EPS equipped S2000s for the last 8 years. Our first one had a 13.8 to 1 ratio, and the current one has a 14.9 to 1.

I have a decent amount of track experience and I really appreciate the quick ratio. I agree the steering is overboosted, but no more so than the RDX or S2000.
That makes since Colin, but not in my case. Remember my first test drive (6MT) I was in love with the car. Given the routes were different (diffrent cities), but they both had similar types of roads. I am test driving a 6MT today on the same route I tested the 5AT.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
TSX Lover

I took a another 6MT out today at lunch. I had the same experience as I did Tuesday night, the car was great.

None of the problems I had yesterday with the handling and steering that I had on the 5AT.

Count me in, I sold. I am going to buy a 2009 TSX 6MT w/ tech.

Now, just to pick the color.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Count me in, I sold. I am going to buy a 2009 TSX 6MT w/ tech.

Now, just to pick the color.
Cool! I'm really liking the look of the Palladium Metallic. The Red and Vortex blue are a bit disappointing.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
TSX Lover

Cool! I'm really liking the look of the Palladium Metallic. The Red and Vortex blue are a bit disappointing.
I didn't care for the palladium metallic. "The Element" sort of blended into the body. That may sound good, but it really doesn't work.

I understand about the red (very dark), but we didn't you like the vortex blue?
BTW - they are the only two colors I haven't seen in person.

The vortex blue and the polished metal are my two first choices so far.

Do you agree that the crystal black looks more upscale (Lexus, etc.) than the nighthawk?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Colin, how different is Palladium Metallic from Alabaster Silver? Thanks for your review and pics too.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
TSX Lover

Colin, The TSX in your review pictures is Poished Metal Metallic, right??
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Polished metal looks more like the RL Celestial Silver, kinda 'champagneish". The car in the pics is Gregio not Polished. Gregio = brownish, Polished = grayish.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM
TSX Lover

Asking Colin

I didn't care for the palladium metallic. "The Element" sort of blended into the body. That may sound good, but it really doesn't work.

I understand about the red (very dark), but why didn't you like the vortex blue?
BTW - they are the only two colors I haven't seen in person.

The vortex blue and the polished metal are my two first choices so far.

Do you agree that the crystal black looks more upscale (Lexus, etc.) than the nighthawk?
REPOST
Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess I don't dislike the vortex Blue, but I didn't expect it to be so dark. I was hoping from some of the photos, that it would be brighter kinda like the Blue on the S2000 (Laguna Blue) or on the RSX (Vivid Blue).
Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Colin, any comment on the quality of the paint? I know its hard to tell with them being so new.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Paint looks fine to me? Is there supposed to be a problem?

(not that I'm anticipating a new bout of whining...... )
Old 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's what I keep telling myself. That, and I want to wait for the diesel.

It's just so tempting because I don't have navi in my 04, and would like bluetooth and iPod integration, etc. I'm being wooed by the tech that isn't in my 04.

Same here. Although I just made my last car payment on my 04 TSX (bought in April 2003) and it will be nice not to have an almost $500 a month car payment for a while.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Paint looks fine to me? Is there supposed to be a problem?

(not that I'm anticipating a new bout of whining...... )

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the paint on the 1st gen TSX was horrible (Easily chipped, thin). Its been discussed around here several times.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GeorgeTSX
Same here. Although I just made my last car payment on my 04 TSX (bought in April 2003) and it will be nice not to have an almost $500 a month car payment for a while.
Mine's been paid off since January. It's nice to not have a car payment!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Race Director

i agree mine has been paid off since july 2007. i like the no car payments!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
curious, are you guys still paying full insurance once you've paid off your car? i make my last payment on my 04 this month, and i am debating lowering my insurance. i first saw the new model TSX today, so i decided to jump on the forum and see what's up. i am gonna enjoy having no car payment for a long time before i buy another car
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
curious, are you guys still paying full insurance once you've paid off your car? i make my last payment on my 04 this month, and i am debating lowering my insurance. i first saw the new model TSX today, so i decided to jump on the forum and see what's up. i am gonna enjoy having no car payment for a long time before i buy another car
Yes, I'm still paying full insurance.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM
08 MDX with Sports

LOL another word he doesn't care for 2nd gen TSX but it will do for now..
Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the paint on the 1st gen TSX was horrible (Easily chipped, thin). Its been discussed around here several times.
Chipped very easily, yes.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Chipped very easily, yes.
it's funny...i had my TSX for a year and i had zero paint chips on the front bumper and hood. apparently i'm the only one who stays away from large trucks, and who doesn't tailgate on highways...?

Quick Reply: Updated review from Jeff @ VTEC.net