TSX vs. Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ctwickman
Just for fun I decided to plug in the values into Vincentric.com to see what the estimated cost of ownership for both the A4 and TSX are. Not like it tells me anything I don't know first hand, especially given how much my Audi's depreciated and how expensive the parts were (I had to spend $1123 just for the gauge cluster and $425 for a center trim piece after warranty expired, German part prices are absolutely insane).

Your chart is completely wrong. how they put $480 for TSX maintiance and $2200 for A4 maintaince? I assumed it is for 4 year ownership. Audi has $740 maintiance package. while TSX has none. just one B12 service cost $500.
A4 does not need brake job. TSX needs 3 times. they put extra $3K on A4 depreciation for 2009 model year. You cannot even find FWD 2009 A4 on used car lot let alone depreciation.
Audi routinely beats EPA mileage on magazine tests while none of Honda products. Remember Magazines tests are the closest that enthusiats will drive it not the EPA under 65mph.
Time has come that TSX has lost its value leader category.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Can't we lock this thread?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^Or just ban SSFTSX. Nothing I have read from him is even remotely constructive or unbiased.

A couple of us have him on ignore already.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Your chart is completely wrong. how they put $480 for TSX maintiance and $2200 for A4 maintaince? I assumed it is for 4 year ownership. Audi has $740 maintiance package. while TSX has none. just one B12 service cost $500.
A4 does not need brake job. TSX needs 3 times. they put extra $3K on A4 depreciation for 2009 model year. You cannot even find FWD 2009 A4 on used car lot let alone depreciation.
Audi routinely beats EPA mileage on magazine tests while none of Honda products. Remember Magazines tests are the closest that enthusiats will drive it not the EPA under 65mph.
Time has come that TSX has lost its value leader category.
It wasn't "my" chart it was from Vincentric, the same experts who provide depreciation/maintenance/resale auto data for GM, Toyota, Volkswagen, and the Department of Treasury for large fleet purchases. It is their job to know and estimate depreciation and maintenance based on current rolling data. BTW I plugged in front wheel drive for the Audi because that was the closest in price to the TSX so you can compare apples to apples. If you want to compare apples to oranges feel free you can plug in the Quattro version and compare that to the TSX, the difference in cost and gas mileage between the two becomes even worse. Quite frankly I feel like I'm in the twilight zone watching someone argue that an Audi has a lower total cost of ownership than a comparably equipped Acura. Audi's are great cars, I have owned two of them just in the past 7 years, but let's get back down to planet earth here.

Last edited by ctwickman; 08-14-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
It wasn't "my" chart it was from Vincentric, the same experts who provide depreciation/maintenance/resale auto data for GM, Toyota, Volkswagen, and the Department of Treasury for large fleet purchases. It is their job to know and estimate depreciation and maintenance based on current rolling data. BTW I plugged in front wheel drive for the Audi because that was the closest in price to the TSX so you can compare apples to apples. If you want to compare apples to oranges feel free you can plug in the Quattro version and compare that to the TSX, the difference in cost and gas mileage between the two becomes even worse. Quite frankly I feel like I'm in the twilight zone watching someone argue that an Audi has a lower total cost of ownership than a comparably equipped Acura. Audi's are great cars, I have owned two of them just in the past 7 years, but let's get back down to planet earth here.
fair point. but the people who created this charted havent done much research nor they are testing actual conditions like Magazine tests which are alot closer to reality. how the put $482 maintainace for TSX in 5 years?
Second. A4 has DI Turbo engine with alot of low end torque like a diesel. Rememer diesle are good for hauling. so if you put 4 people and load the cargo area and accelerate between 30-70 or 50-70. It will give better performance/fuel economy than TSX 4cylinder. This is called real life tests. I use paddle shifter with TSX alot for merging and passing and without even cargo load or passengers in the car fuel economy suffers greatly. Also Audi has better weight distribution F/R so tire wear will be less.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Can't we lock this thread?
Agreed. Also, the OP is a new member and have not made any comment in the past two weeks.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. My apologizes if I'm making a point that's already been made as I have not read the whole thread.

Audi's are good looking (subjective of course), well finished (one of the best interiors in the industry), safe cars (built like a tank and QUATTRO!) that are quite enjoyable when everything works. I bought a used 2001 A6 back in 2004 and had 1 year of problem free driving. Since 2005 I've spent nearly 1K every year on random maintenance issues. Finally this month the car wouldn't start consistently and when it did the engine would cut out on me while I was driving (once on the highway). As much as I love the way it drives and how nice the interior is, etc... I just couldn't trust the car anymore. It may have been an easy fix but I didn't want to throw more money at it by having diagnose the problem and then paying for however much the repair itself cost. Especially considering 2 years ago a dealer offered me something like 3K for the A6 as a trade in and offered 4K for my wife's Civic at the time. To make a long story short I ended up clunking the car for a TSX for my wife

I must say while the interior finish is not quite up to par with Audi the 2nd gen TSX has a pretty nice interior overall. That combined with the overall value makes it an easy "downgraded" to swallow. I'm loving the Bluetooth and usb compatibility features that come standard with the car. Sure, I lose the Quattro, which was awesome in the winter but FWD is acceptable in the winter as well. I sleep better now knowing that the TSX will be relatively problem free for a long time. (Knock on wood)

Having said all that, would I get another Audi? Absolutely!!! I would just lease it rather than buy it. 3 years and be done with it and get something else. I know not everyone likes the idea of leasing but it's a short term committment that may open you up to a whole new segment of cars if you've only experience the Japanese offerings. I would wait until Audi has a good lease program like they did during the summer with zero down and ~$430/month.

I'm not suggesting that anyone be financially irresponsible with their money, but try it if it's an feasible option for you.

Buy reliable cars. Lease cars that are high maintenance.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:57 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

hey guys. New to the forum. I just ditched my SUV(nissan xterra) and now in the market for a sports sedan for myself. Always have been a BMW 3 series fan and love the way audi's look. I test drove the A3, A4 and BMW 328 and 335xi. I have yet to drive the brand new TSX but have driven a 2007 tSX..

I will say this, I am having a hard time, as I always wanted a german car. I also want value as well. The 335xi is a fantastic car, but just way overpriced once the options are added. The audi has a great interior, but not sure I want to mess with a turbo and am somewhat leery of Audi's repair history. The new TSX just caught my eye, and I went by the dealership just to kick some tires, and for the price, you can't beat this car. The A4 is nice, and has adequate power even with a 4 banger, but overall value, the TSX is amazing. I plan to take it on a test drive and ifi it is as good as the 1gen tsx, then I am sold... The german cars just scare me. I am not a fan of $100 oil changes and overpriced options..
Old 08-30-2009, 02:09 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by driver2drivers
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. My apologizes if I'm making a point that's already been made as I have not read the whole thread.

Audi's are good looking (subjective of course), well finished (one of the best interiors in the industry), safe cars (built like a tank and QUATTRO!) that are quite enjoyable when everything works. I bought a used 2001 A6 back in 2004 and had 1 year of problem free driving. Since 2005 I've spent nearly 1K every year on random maintenance issues. Finally this month the car wouldn't start consistently and when it did the engine would cut out on me while I was driving (once on the highway). As much as I love the way it drives and how nice the interior is, etc... I just couldn't trust the car anymore. It may have been an easy fix but I didn't want to throw more money at it by having diagnose the problem and then paying for however much the repair itself cost. Especially considering 2 years ago a dealer offered me something like 3K for the A6 as a trade in and offered 4K for my wife's Civic at the time. To make a long story short I ended up clunking the car for a TSX for my wife

I must say while the interior finish is not quite up to par with Audi the 2nd gen TSX has a pretty nice interior overall. That combined with the overall value makes it an easy "downgraded" to swallow. I'm loving the Bluetooth and usb compatibility features that come standard with the car. Sure, I lose the Quattro, which was awesome in the winter but FWD is acceptable in the winter as well. I sleep better now knowing that the TSX will be relatively problem free for a long time. (Knock on wood)

Having said all that, would I get another Audi? Absolutely!!! I would just lease it rather than buy it. 3 years and be done with it and get something else. I know not everyone likes the idea of leasing but it's a short term committment that may open you up to a whole new segment of cars if you've only experience the Japanese offerings. I would wait until Audi has a good lease program like they did during the summer with zero down and ~$430/month.

I'm not suggesting that anyone be financially irresponsible with their money, but try it if it's an feasible option for you.

Buy reliable cars. Lease cars that are high maintenance.
good point. My wife and Iwanted a european vehicle so bad, we went and purchased a Land Rover Discovery.. I must say, the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Constant problems, poor design and had many mechanical problems. when we traded the car in for a GMC Yukon, we were so happy that we were content on taking bottom dollar on that junk.. even if you lease high maintenance cars, with good warranties, what goed is that if the car is in the shop and you have to borrow your relatives Honda's or toyota's to get to work..
Old 08-30-2009, 02:44 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by will y.
the a4 no longer has a 3.2.
we will have to imagine what the 2.0t manual quattro can do, but we know that the tiptronic one will be about even with the tsx 4 cyl. 6 speed manual, and the tiptronic a4 will be sucking air behind the less expensive tsx v6.

I'm winning the race to the bottom!!!

rofl....
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by katmai
Unless you buy an A4 with every option, I think people who buy them are luxury wannabes who live for the prestige and respect they THINK other people give them as they go by. When my friends and I see an A4, we usually feel sorry for them that they were stupid enough to waste so much money. Then if we do see a fully optioned A4, we feel sorry for them again that they didn't spend the money on something better. There's a reason why people who have money have it, and its usually because they don't waste it. I CAN afford an A6 or A8, cash, but then that would be a HUGE waste of money.

Come to think of it a friend of mine has an A4. Its been in the shop countless times for everything under the sun...we're always ragging on him for buying it. A4's are OKAY cars, overpriced for sure, and many times their drivers are trying to be something they're not.
great post. A friend of mine is going through a divorce. He has a 2001 audi A4, and just purchased a very nice 2007 acura TL... The courts ordered him to give up one of the automobiles. well he offered up the TL(unwillingly) but since his wife would have their kid, he wanted here to have the better car.. Well his ex wife, that is, is very badge, and label conscious, regardless of value. Don't you know she insisted on the Audi... LOL!!! even though the audi was basically parked in the garage because he was tired of repairing the thing... she said, he gets to keep the camper so why should he get the fancier car... LOL... the sad thing, this type of mentality represents a huge segment of BMW, Mercedes and Audi buyers. They have no clue about the car, or value, or driving dynamics for bang for the buck. They see BMW, MB or Audi and they envision themselves driving the car and people looking at them as if they are wealthy... believe me, I see this mentality all the time... My wife has friends like that.. they would rather own a 1980 BMW with 300k miles and a worn interior than a brand new Honda or Toyota camry....... sad, but true, and these people often lease these german cars, don't or can't keep up the maintenance and then dump them.. this is why I am so skeptical about buying used german cars. I made that mistake before..
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
6th Gear

To each his own

There's no doubt that many people live beyond their means and are "posers" when it comes to how they want people to perceive them. But to make one sweeping statement about all German car owners is not justifiable.

DOB. Your first post stated that you've always wanted a German car. Why? It has to be for one of the good qualities of each German car you've considered. Each manufacturer have their own redeeming qualities. Audi's have a great interior and Quattro. BMW are driver's cars. Mercedes are posh. Those things appeal to certain people not just the "prestige" of owning a German car. If EVERYONE was value conscious we'd all be driving Civics/Corollas or Accords/Camrys. Why would you even get a TSX which would be middle of the road in many respects if you're totally honest with yourself?I'm not attacking you or anybody else but different people have different preferences.

There's nothing wrong with the TSX. I enjoy ours a lot! But when someone spends MORE money on something like an A4 they are getting MORE in terms of quality. The materials used in the A4 are higher quality than that of a TSX. They are usually getting AWD standard as part of the price. The car has a much more solid feel to it due to the way it's built. Sure you don't get all the little tech features like bluetooth and USB connectivity as standard but it's much easier for Acura to offer those things which would cost them an extra $200 bucks than to use the same materials than the Germans which would affect the car's starting price. This is just the apples to apples of the cars when they're brand new. Maintenance is a whole another story and everyone should know the costs of maintenance of any car prior to buying. If you're willing to deal with it then cool, if not then move on or lease it. (And btw, there's no rule saying you have to get the car serviced at the dealer. Do you're own oil change for $35 bucks. )

Last thing I want to say about this is, if you work hard for your money and can afford any of these cars, sometimes it's just worth it for your own sanity to say screw it and buy something you know YOU will enjoy. Who cares what other people think? The only person that needs to approve is your wife if you're married. Good luck with that one!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Instructor

There's no doubt that many people live beyond their means and are "posers" when it comes to how they want people to perceive them. But to make one sweeping statement about all German car owners is not justifiable.

DOB. Your first post stated that you've always wanted a German car. Why? It has to be for one of the good qualities of each German car you've considered. Each manufacturer have their own redeeming qualities. Audi's have a great interior and Quattro. BMW are driver's cars. Mercedes are posh. Those things appeal to certain people not just the "prestige" of owning a German car. If EVERYONE was value conscious we'd all be driving Civics/Corollas or Accords/Camrys. Why would you even get a TSX which would be middle of the road in many respects if you're totally honest with yourself?I'm not attacking you or anybody else but different people have different preferences.

There's nothing wrong with the TSX. I enjoy ours a lot! But when someone spends MORE money on something like an A4 they are getting MORE in terms of quality. The materials used in the A4 are higher quality than that of a TSX. They are usually getting AWD standard as part of the price. The car has a much more solid feel to it due to the way it's built. Sure you don't get all the little tech features like bluetooth and USB connectivity as standard but it's much easier for Acura to offer those things which would cost them an extra $200 bucks than to use the same materials than the Germans which would affect the car's starting price. This is just the apples to apples of the cars when they're brand new. Maintenance is a whole another story and everyone should know the costs of maintenance of any car prior to buying. If you're willing to deal with it then cool, if not then move on or lease it. (And btw, there's no rule saying you have to get the car serviced at the dealer. Do you're own oil change for $35 bucks. )

Last thing I want to say about this is, if you work hard for your money and can afford any of these cars, sometimes it's just worth it for your own sanity to say screw it and buy something you know YOU will enjoy. Who cares what other people think? The only person that needs to approve is your wife if you're married. Good luck with that one!
I applaud your post. I didn't buy my Audi because i'm a badge whore. I enjoy driving it. I enjoy the fit and finish. To be honest, i'm on a mission in life to find that "perfect car." I haven't found it yet, but my Audi is damn near close...and I've had a whole slew of american, german, and japanese cars.

I got the TSX because the price was good during a brief moment of financial uncertainty. My wife now drives it (and she loves it) and i've moved back into my Audi (I am not sure why I gave it to her to drive to begin with). My 40 mile round trip highway commute is now much better.

Not knocking the TSX. It certainly is great value for money. But it wouldn't have been my first choice of vehicle had the financial situation been different.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 AM
DOB
Cruisin'

If I sounded like I unfairly categorized all german car owners, then forgive me, because I didn't mean it to sound that way. yes I am married.. LOL and my wife's aunt and her husband both drive MB's. I think for the wrong reasons, but that is just my opinion.

I will admit, i always wanted a german car since I was a kid, because that i what I was told, were good cars. My aunt owned one and we rode it in it all the time. they seemed more solid and better looking than the american cars my father owned, so I always thought they were better. As I got older and was able to afford German cars, i just thought they were a sign of "you finally made it" type of thing. Now that I got past that stage, I still seem to be drawn to german cars because of their looks. the problem I am having now choosing between cars, is getting what I want, and getting the best value. I can afford a german car for sure, but just because I can, doesn't mean I should overspend on a vehicle. I like acura and the New TSX really caught my eye. Nice looking car, great value, loaded with features. I owned a land rover discovery some years ago, and it was the worst experience my wife and I have had with automobiles. Just horrible, expensive and a waste of time...

this go around I don't want to get caught up into buying a badge. I have looked at that audi a3, but trying to justify spending more for a small hatchback over the nicely equiped TSX is something I am fighting with. I can easily afford either car, but that type of mentality got me in that land rover mess. I orginally wanted a BMW 3 series, and after I left the dealership a few weeks ago, i was shaking my head on how a car that starts at 33k can jump up to 45k so quickly by adding things, a 33k car should have from the start.. the 335 is a very nice car, very nice, but not for that kind of cash. I don't care if I had 45k to just throw away either, I would not pay that kind of money for that car, with the other choices out there... I have to make my decision very soon, because I am returning my company car, but even with everything I know about german cars, it is not out of the running yet. I like the audi a3 and a4, but the TSX has really made things difficult..
Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GrigioX
I applaud your post. I didn't buy my Audi because i'm a badge whore. I enjoy driving it. I enjoy the fit and finish. To be honest, i'm on a mission in life to find that "perfect car." I haven't found it yet, but my Audi is damn near close...and I've had a whole slew of american, german, and japanese cars.

I got the TSX because the price was good during a brief moment of financial uncertainty. My wife now drives it (and she loves it) and i've moved back into my Audi (I am not sure why I gave it to her to drive to begin with). My 40 mile round trip highway commute is now much better.

Not knocking the TSX. It certainly is great value for money. But it wouldn't have been my first choice of vehicle had the financial situation been different.
yea, my wife wants the cayenne or a MB, she likes what she likes and she is going to buy a european car despite the problems we had before... I guess for some people they see what they like and live with the shortcommings. regardless of price....
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
6th Gear

DOB. You seem like a very reasonable guy. I think you'll be happy with the TSX. It's a great car. It does everything well. My only complaint is the "Honda lag" between the 2K-3K RPM range. I can only speak for the 4 cyclinder model. If you drove the 335i and liked the way that felt the TSX won't satisfy you in the same way. Driving my friend's 335i, I can get to 40mph easy in first gear with the 335i. That feeling is awesome! But you're right... it's $$$.

Haven't driven the new A4. But that thing looks NICE IMO. =D

I can totally relate to your "dilemma" since I just want through it myself. My decision was a bit easy since I have my own car and the TSX was for my wife. Reliability was key for us. If my car has issues it's not as big of a deal since I don't drive to work every day.

Good luck in your search. I think you'll love whatever car you end up getting. All great cars (in their own way) to choose from.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
DOB, I'm in a similar situation. For pure driving pleasure, I generally prefer European cars. My last two daily drivers have been a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 with heavily modified suspension, and a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, both with manual transmissions. I've tested a bunch of cars, and ideally would like a BMW 328i. Properly equipped, with 6MT and Sport Package, it really is the Ultimate Driving Machine in the class. And with judicious option selections -- Sport and Cold Weather packages and a couple others -- I think I could be out the door for around $37k. But add the mandatory winter tire/wheel set, and it's $39k.

We could easily afford it, but my wife has balked at the cost. I can't fault her, because it's very difficult to justify spending $10k more than a base TSX, which is probably a better car for us in some respects anyway, and will be more generously equipped. So it looks like I have to wait another round for a BMW.

Fortunately, I've always liked VTEC/manual Hondas almost as much as European cars, so I know I'll be happy in the TSX. Thrilled? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see, but the peace of mind from Honda reliability should count for a lot over the long haul. I'm really looking forward to that.

It's looking like Polished Metal Metallic 6MT in the next few weeks.

But I do plan to have her sit in the BMW, just in case those sport seats might change her mind.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DOB
I guess for some people they see what they like and live with the shortcommings. regardless of price....
And shortcomings are relative. Some people see German autos and see reliability as a shortcoming. I see our TSX and i see fit & finish and teh way it drives as a shortcoming. All cars have shortcomings, which car you buy depends on what your view of what matters most.

You're going to always get a lot of varying opinions on what car to buy. In the end, go with what feels best for you....unless of course you're like me and always in pursuit for that perfect car and in a state of perpetual unhappiness
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

DOB. You seem like a very reasonable guy. I think you'll be happy with the TSX. It's a great car. It does everything well. My only complaint is the "Honda lag" between the 2K-3K RPM range. I can only speak for the 4 cyclinder model. If you drove the 335i and liked the way that felt the TSX won't satisfy you in the same way. Driving my friend's 335i, I can get to 40mph easy in first gear with the 335i. That feeling is awesome! But you're right... it's $$$.

Haven't driven the new A4. But that thing looks NICE IMO. =D

I can totally relate to your "dilemma" since I just want through it myself. My decision was a bit easy since I have my own car and the TSX was for my wife. Reliability was key for us. If my car has issues it's not as big of a deal since I don't drive to work every day.

Good luck in your search. I think you'll love whatever car you end up getting. All great cars (in their own way) to choose from.
Thanks a lot for your input. A funny thing happened today. An old friend of mine met me for lunch today. he has a 2005 BMW X5. he also has a 2005 MB E class. I was asking his opinion about BMW's and he said, they are just so expensive, and even with a warranty, will be in the shop at least every other month. He said he like his car so much he can live with that, and unlike myself, he doesn't drive 40 miles one way to work. As we were speaking, a light came up on his dashboard.... He just looked down and shook his head and said. "See what I mean".. I am not kidding. I didn't even bother to ask him what the problem was. he didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it..... Still, German cars are ver good rides and just nice looking. I hope to make the right decision and not let my emotions lead me into another one of those "land rover" type purchases I had before.

The one thing I do know about the TSX is that It will be reliable and I drive 40 miles one way. well 37, but heck, I round up.. LOL.. so that may really influence my decision.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
DOB, I'm in a similar situation. For pure driving pleasure, I generally prefer European cars. My last two daily drivers have been a 1995 Jetta GLX VR6 with heavily modified suspension, and a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, both with manual transmissions. I've tested a bunch of cars, and ideally would like a BMW 328i. Properly equipped, with 6MT and Sport Package, it really is the Ultimate Driving Machine in the class. And with judicious option selections -- Sport and Cold Weather packages and a couple others -- I think I could be out the door for around $37k. But add the mandatory winter tire/wheel set, and it's $39k.

We could easily afford it, but my wife has balked at the cost. I can't fault her, because it's very difficult to justify spending $10k more than a base TSX, which is probably a better car for us in some respects anyway, and will be more generously equipped. So it looks like I have to wait another round for a BMW.

Fortunately, I've always liked VTEC/manual Hondas almost as much as European cars, so I know I'll be happy in the TSX. Thrilled? Maybe, maybe not. We'll see, but the peace of mind from Honda reliability should count for a lot over the long haul. I'm really looking forward to that.

It's looking like Polished Metal Metallic 6MT in the next few weeks.

But I do plan to have her sit in the BMW, just in case those sport seats might change her mind.
That is the thing, my wife like german cars, but for me, she knows I drive a lot, I have a 37-40 mile commute one way to work. Now she wants a cayenne, but she drives 12 miles, she can easily lease a luxury car and stay within the miles. leasing is not an option for me, as I will easily do 20k in a year. In georgia, you drive a lot...

My wife is also balking at paying more for a BMW or C class benz over a TSX, which in her opinion would be more practical and still offer the type of luxury I am looking for.... I have a bad feeling I am not going to end up with a german car this go around as well...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

Smile

And shortcomings are relative. Some people see German autos and see reliability as a shortcoming. I see our TSX and i see fit & finish and teh way it drives as a shortcoming. All cars have shortcomings, which car you buy depends on what your view of what matters most.

You're going to always get a lot of varying opinions on what car to buy. In the end, go with what feels best for you....unless of course you're like me and always in pursuit for that perfect car and in a state of perpetual unhappiness
LOL.. that sounds like me.. and it is driving my wife crazy...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOB
That is the thing, my wife like german cars, but for me, she knows I drive a lot, I have a 37-40 mile commute one way to work. Now she wants a cayenne, but she drives 12 miles, she can easily lease a luxury car and stay within the miles. leasing is not an option for me, as I will easily do 20k in a year. In georgia, you drive a lot...

My wife is also balking at paying more for a BMW or C class benz over a TSX, which in her opinion would be more practical and still offer the type of luxury I am looking for.... I have a bad feeling I am not going to end up with a german car this go around as well...
The 2010 TSX drives very much like a German car after the steering gets broken in (~500 miles). In fact it actually is a German car in the sense that it's the flagship car of Honda Germany and built for the autobahn like everything else there. I came form a 2005 Audi S4. The TSX drives more "German" than a Benz.

Last edited by ctwickman; 09-01-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DOB
That is the thing, my wife like german cars, but for me, she knows I drive a lot, I have a 37-40 mile commute one way to work.
I have a 27 mile commute myself, which is one reason the Honda reliability appeals so much. For the daily grind, it's important. I've managed with my Saab because my dealer is close to my office and provides a quick, reliable door-to-door shuttle service.

And the long commute makes the quick-wearing, hard-riding run-flat tires on the BMW extremely unappealing. The hassle and expense could pile up quickly. Those tires are the biggest drawback of the BMW on its merits, and a big reason I'll probably end up in the TSX. I think Acura has done a fabulous job tuning the TSX suspension, and thus hasn't needed to resort to ultra-low profile tires to get excellent handling.

By the way, I also considered the Benz C300 sport. Despite its pedigree, I actually think the TSX is better, independent of cost. The ride/handling balance is at least as good, the Acura's seats are better, and the VTEC I-4 is at least as smooth as the V6 on the Benz I tested. (Keep in mind I drove the Benz with automatic. I'm sure it's more fun with the stick, but good luck finding one.) If you're willing to spend more than a TSX for better driving dynamics, a BMW with Sport Package is the way to go IMO.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Instructor

By the way, I also considered the Benz C300 sport. Despite its pedigree, I actually think the TSX is better, independent of cost.
I looked at a C300 sport as well but had a few issues:

1) To get to the same payment (on a car with less options) as the TSX, they wanted $5k out of pocket. Believe me, i tried to negotiate them down as far as I could.

2) Agree that the seats are better in the TSX. I could be wrong, but I could not get perfectly comfortable during the test drive. Also the sound system was better in the TSX.

3) I liked the car, but I feel M-B needs still another generation of models before they completely undo themselves from any Chrysler influence in build quality. Granted, it's much more solid than the previous C-class, but not as solid as M-B was back in the day.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

The 2010 TSX drives very much like a German car after the steering gets broken in (~500 miles). In fact it actually is a German car in the sense that it's the flagship car of Honda Germany and built for the autobahn like everything else there. I came form a 2005 Audi S4. The TSX drives more "German" than a Benz.
wow. I didn't know that. I plan to drive one next week. thanks for the info....
Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

I have a 27 mile commute myself, which is one reason the Honda reliability appeals so much. For the daily grind, it's important. I've managed with my Saab because my dealer is close to my office and provides a quick, reliable door-to-door shuttle service.

And the long commute makes the quick-wearing, hard-riding run-flat tires on the BMW extremely unappealing. The hassle and expense could pile up quickly. Those tires are the biggest drawback of the BMW on its merits, and a big reason I'll probably end up in the TSX. I think Acura has done a fabulous job tuning the TSX suspension, and thus hasn't needed to resort to ultra-low profile tires to get excellent handling.

By the way, I also considered the Benz C300 sport. Despite its pedigree, I actually think the TSX is better, independent of cost. The ride/handling balance is at least as good, the Acura's seats are better, and the VTEC I-4 is at least as smooth as the V6 on the Benz I tested. (Keep in mind I drove the Benz with automatic. I'm sure it's more fun with the stick, but good luck finding one.) If you're willing to spend more than a TSX for better driving dynamics, a BMW with Sport Package is the way to go IMO.
My wife aunt and her husband drive MB's. E350 and S500, nice cars but not really sporty, very smooth rides, but somewhat boring, and for the money those cars cost, I expected a little more.. unless you spend a huge premium for theri AMG package or get a supercharged version, the MB just seems very uninspiring, although a very smooth riding car...

The audi A3 is nice, but that hatch is small, very small, although the 4cly is nice. the car is also overpriced.

BMW would be the car I would buy, but to get what I see in the TSX, it would cost a fortune, one that I just don't want to spend and one my wife will talk me out of for sure! especially as a daily driver. I rack on miles and after two or 3 years I want a car that will still be solid and have good resale. Honda, acura, lexus seem to fit that description well. Maybe just maybe if BMW didn't charge so much for other options that should be on a 33k car, maybe I could convince my wife, but trying to convince her that my new 34k car doesn't have power seats is not going to go over well.. LOL.. although it is my car, she won't see the value...
And then she won't feel she has to justify spending a stack on a gucci bag... LOL....

Oh, I also agree about the runflat tires, I hear a lot of complaints about them.

BTW: which BMW were you interesting in. I know some who are looking at the MB c300 or tSX seem to like the BMW 335, and are less excited about the 328.

Last edited by DOB; 09-01-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
DOB
Cruisin'

Funny thing, I was over at the audi site, and then I went to take a look at the BMW site. want to see what owners had to say.

I will say this and I know it may be a little off topic. This forum is the best by far. Most owners on this forum love their cars, post pictures, and anxiously talk about new acura developments.

the audi site is somewhat similar..

The BMW site, my lord, it is filled with threads of car problems, repairs, and warranty question..... The funniest thing I read , there was a poster with a question regarding the warranty, and asked is if he should buy an extended warranty for about 2 grand.... Most of the responses were similar.. After the warranty is done, and that is 50k miles, they are getting rid of the car..... LOL... I just found that hilarious... You have your diehard BMW fans over there, and I respect that, but reading that forum got depressing..
Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Is bezlebutt anyone here?

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2761717

^ A4 avant & TSX owner. Interesting perspective.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DOB
BMW would be the car I would buy, but to get what I see in the TSX, it would cost a fortune, one that I just don't want to spend and one my wife will talk me out of for sure! especially as a daily driver. I rack on miles and after two or 3 years I want a car that will still be solid and have good resale. Honda, acura, lexus seem to fit that description well. Maybe just maybe if BMW didn't charge so much for other options that should be on a 33k car, maybe I could convince my wife, but trying to convince her that my new 34k car doesn't have power seats is not going to go over well.. LOL.. although it is my car, she won't see the value...

BTW: which BMW were you interesting in. I know some who are looking at the MB c300 or tSX seem to like the BMW 335, and are less excited about the 328.
Exactly right about BMW pricing. My wife and I can live without lots of stuff, like sunroof and power seats, but then the car is more difficult to sell later on. BMW could include lots more standard and raise the base price a bit, and probably come out well due to increased production efficiency. You know, more like Acura's approach. Some of the optional items -- like anti-theft alarm, auto-dimming mirror, and fold-down rear seats -- are just laughable. At least leather and iPod adapter are standard for 2010 in a no-cost "Value Package."

I was looking at 328i only. The 335i is an incredible machine. I've never felt such a flexible powerband. But it's too expensive, and, since you read some of the forums, you probably saw mention of the frequent fuel pump failures on those. What a nightmare. The 328 is also lighter, and doesn't have tires with insanely low profiles in its Sports Package, so it would be better in the city.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by einsatz

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/just-upgraded-2004-acura-tsx-2010-audi-a4-avant-s-line-742489/

Belzebutt hangs out in Off Topic most of the time, though. FYI, there's an Audi thread over in Car Talk, along with a lengthy BMW 3-series thread.

I considered both the A4 and the 335i before buying my TL off lease (business use). The 335i stick shift is slightly rubbery and the clutch releases too high; the auto trans just didn't do much for me. The 3-series interior, iDrive or not, wasn't as nice as the TL's Navi interior, either. The Audi manual felt and drove better than the 335i, but not enough to justify replacing the TL.

I want a smaller sedan-- regardless of lineage-- that accelerates like a G8 GT, shifts and handles like an RX-8, has the interior finish of the TL or B5 1st gen. A4, sips gas like a Prius, costs $20K and has a body that makes Ferrari owners drool. That should be easy to find...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 AM
DOB
Cruisin'

Exactly right about BMW pricing. My wife and I can live without lots of stuff, like sunroof and power seats, but then the car is more difficult to sell later on. BMW could include lots more standard and raise the base price a bit, and probably come out well due to increased production efficiency. You know, more like Acura's approach. Some of the optional items -- like anti-theft alarm, auto-dimming mirror, and fold-down rear seats -- are just laughable. At least leather and iPod adapter are standard for 2010 in a no-cost "Value Package."

I was looking at 328i only. The 335i is an incredible machine. I've never felt such a flexible powerband. But it's too expensive, and, since you read some of the forums, you probably saw mention of the frequent fuel pump failures on those. What a nightmare. The 328 is also lighter, and doesn't have tires with insanely low profiles in its Sports Package, so it would be better in the city.
sorry having to make you repeat yourself.. LOL, I remember you said in a previous post you were looking at a 328.

good point about BMW adding the options for a few more bucks, it would just make sense. The 328 is nice, but the 335i has power galore. Again, this is just a mess for me, because I love the way the bimmers look, and the balance and overall feel of the car, but on the other hand, the car has to be reliable, just has to, and has to give me a lot of bang for the buck... lets face it, when you start spending 33-50 grand for cars, you should not have to be adding options for extra money.... Looking at the BMW forums, guys have 2007 cars that are not starting, and you see tons of electronic issues with those cars. i will say this, they will give you an awesome driving experience, but will spend it's fair share of time in a shop and for me, that is a major draw back.. major..

After I drive this new TSX, I have the feeling my decision will be made a lot easier. The tech package in the TSX is just downright awesome from what I am told. I can't wait to experience it..
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by einsatz

seems like you need an advanced degree to operate that car.... LOL.. interesting perspective indeed..
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DOB
Funny thing, I was over at the audi site, and then I went to take a look at the BMW site. want to see what owners had to say.

I will say this and I know it may be a little off topic. This forum is the best by far. Most owners on this forum love their cars, post pictures, and anxiously talk about new acura developments.

the audi site is somewhat similar..

The BMW site, my lord, it is filled with threads of car problems, repairs, and warranty question..... The funniest thing I read , there was a poster with a question regarding the warranty, and asked is if he should buy an extended warranty for about 2 grand.... Most of the responses were similar.. After the warranty is done, and that is 50k miles, they are getting rid of the car..... LOL... I just found that hilarious... You have your diehard BMW fans over there, and I respect that, but reading that forum got depressing..
What BMW site are you on? To be honest, I've had more problems with this TSX than i've ever had with any of my beamers.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 AM
DOB
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by strykr
What BMW site are you on? To be honest, I've had more problems with this TSX than i've ever had with any of my beamers.

If I am not mistaken, it was bimmerforums.com
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Je t'aime...

I was having second thoughts about posting on a dead thread towards "SSFTSX". It wasn't the first time I saw him on a thread going hella bias against the TSX. A car he supposedly owns.

Time to correct some of his bias-ness:

#1 Some where in the thread he quoted, "The A4 2.0T is just as fast as a 3.7L TL" Wrong. I don't think a 3.7L TL gets 15 second 1/4 miles nor 0-60 in the 7 second area. The TSX CU2 and CL9 gets better 1/4 mile and 0-60 time than the A4 with the 6spd of course. But don't come here saying the A4 weighs more cause of the Auto. Isn't Acura's fault that Audi weighs so much eh?

#2 At some point I believe you started comparing the Quattro to the TSX inline4? Why? Considering the major price difference too. Also at some point you said the 2.0T is faster than the V6 TSX? Hows is that possible? V6 TSX is shown to do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, and low 14s 1/4, which the 2.0T doesn't do.

#3 Some where on the thread I skimmed through it seemed like you said the Audi is only 5K more expensive than the TSX? Where you get those #s? The new CU2 TSX can be bought OTD with tech for I believe 32K-33K roughly? The Audi A4, with everything the TSX has goes over 40K with packaging OTD. I think your #s were off by 2-3K.

I honestly don't get why you are so against the TSX? When the #s online clearly puts the TSX to be faster than the A4 you still say the A4 is faster.

In terms of performance. You really need to go to the strips or look up drag times. The TSX 6spd can produce better #s than the A4 on the strips stock per stock (FWD vs FWD).

Also to have everything the TSX has in terms of options even tho the Audi quality of options might be better such as navi quality. The Audi A4 needs Prestige package. And the Prestige will give a bit more than what the TSX has also. But you are looking at 41K. Probably 45K with tax and 42K OTD? 41 If lucky? Like I said before you are off. The Audi A4 doesn't cost 5K more for the stuff. It cost over 7K more. Also the Acura TSX probably gives out better MPG, and you get Honda reliability.

And some where along the thread you said Audi A4 made more sales than the TSX? You sure about that? Proof please? In a logical sense, people wouldn't but that much of an expensive cars when there are other competitors out there that offer almost as much for less. Especially, in this economy.

Oh, lets also address the issue of handling. I mean this is the part where I can really see how bias you are. If you go against the TSX CL9 handling and say the bigger, and heavier A4 2.0T (FWD) handles better than the CL9 TSX then I got nothing to say to you. TSX is known for its nimbleness.

The TSX might not performance like a 335i, but neither does the A4. The A4 and TSX performs nearly the same. When TSX has 6spd and Audi A4 with Auto. Considering also the price difference the TSX wins it. I know you keep saying its only 5K more, buts its really 7K+ more, and that 7K can pay for like 3 years of insurance or so and bills.

And the K24 in the TSX is more tunable than the engine in the Audi. Unless you are an idiot and increase the PSI of the stock turbo and fuck up a 40K+ car.

Here's my bottom line before I keep going on and on. At the end of the day the TSX is the cheaper car, cheaper gas to pay over, cheaper maintenance, last longer, and so at the end of the day you save more money. For nearly the same luxury features with some sacrifices due to you paying less. And I would like to think the same performance, and if not better than the A4. You can think what you want, but I saw the dragtimes on sites. The TSX w/ 6spd make better 1/4 times than A4 and C300.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
i just recently traded in my 09 a4 quattro with approximately 6600 miles for a 2010 tsx tech. after a couple months of owning the a4 i have had the infamous steering wheel shimmies due to bad lower control arms and a sticky second gear problem where the transmission would not shift out of 2nd gear and just keeps revving until you notice you are not going any faster. i have had both of these problems fixed under warranty but after 1 week the shimmies came back and so did the tranny issue, after putting up with it for a couple weeks i just had enough i couldnt take it anymore. the things i miss most about the a4 is the awd and those damn leds but other than that the tsx wins hands down on the gadgets if i were to equipped the audi with what i got on the tsx it would have put me in 46k range and even that didnt come with a back up cam. all i can say is i'm happy to be back with acura by the way if anyone is interested in my a4 it is still sitting at davis acura at langhorne PA you can check it out at the website davisacura look in the used inventory and search for audi a4 the color is ibis white.

Last edited by 07wdptl-s; 08-12-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura TSX Tech V6 SH-AWD...

Still waiting.

I've thought about the A4 and BMW 3 series but hate the idea of driving courtesy cars more then my own. I can't say my TSX has been problem free but all that has really gone wrong is the speakers and the back up switch. Other then that it's been a great car.

My friend has a brand new 3 series with 19K on it and it's been in the shop so much that he drives his wife's Hyundai. LOL. As mentioned she is one of 'those' and is quite happy driving the BMW even if it is problematic.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Je t'aime...

Yeah, this thread needs to be locked.

Before SSFTSX comes back and make more bias statements. I still can't get over the fact he called the chart posted bias. Believing that the Audi is lower maintenance cost and has a higher value than an Acura. I can say with 100% confidences that no German car holds its value higher than Japanese car. Its common facts. German make great cars like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes, but you gotta be one bias retard to say that they are cheaper to maintain and holds a higher value than a Japanese car. Even Ford can last longer than an Audi. Just saying....

Also for SSFTSX's MPG comment saying the Audi makes more MPG than the TSX. This is pretty bias. The non-bias answer is probably they are both nearly the same.

And I swear its not what you drive, its how you drive it. You can get 30~40 MPG Highway in Z06. Its possible.

Last edited by HondaOnWORKS; 08-13-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's $200/month more to get into a PRESTIGE pkg A4 with nav.
A 2011 A4 Prestige with Quattro and 2.0T stickers for about $44k (invoice price $40k). My base 2010 TSX was $26k new. Granted, I don't have AWD or navigation I do like the TSX. In addition, the A4 would've been almost $300 more per MONTH than my TSX, and higher maintenance costs to boot. No thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my dad has a 07 audi a6 3.2 quattro fully loaded, hes got 125k miles and the thing has eletrical problems and tons of issues hes in the shop all the time for it, luckily its a company car and hes probably gonna end up getting a BMW next but i would stay far away from audi there cars are good but if you plan to really drive it and have it for a long time good luck and i hope you have a lot of cash to fix it.

Quick Reply: TSX vs. Audi A4