tsx to become a limited production v6 between ILX & TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
will the 2013 accord's have the ED engines? i expected better mileage if so...

and yes the hybrid looks like the concept C that i posted earlier. i'm intrigued...i definitely like this design more than the current 8th G Accord sedan.
All 2013 Accords have ED engines. I'm guessing it doesn't get as great mileage as the Altima since they might have had to trade fuel economy for getting rid of the CVT rubberband feeling. It's also Honda's first outing with a direct injection engine and CVT. I'm sure they'll get better with time, but they're still playing catchup. I'm also guessing the new Accord is a little on the hefty side.

The Hybrid looks even better in black. Wheels look horrendous, but designed for areodynamics:
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2013...mo-167187.html

Brief Accord PHEV notes
Accord PHEV's hybrid system features a 124-kW electric motor powered by a 6.7-kWh Li-Ion battery pack.
The gasoline engine is a 2.0L Atkinson cycle DOHC i-VTEC I-4, and produces a maximum 137 horsepower (hp) at 6200 rpm, 122lb-ft@4500 rpm
The maximum total combined power output peaks at 196 hp.
Maximum combined torque output is 226 lb-ft.
EV range is projected at 10-15miles.
Full recharge achieved in less than 1hour, (with 240V charger).

Last edited by thunderbt3; 09-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
if the new accord will be global, then why will the 3rd gen tsx use this platform? also, the power figures seem to have gone down from last year and there isn't that significant of a mileage increase...earth dreams is turning to be somewhat of a disappointment in terms of meeting expectations.
The current 8G Accord Coupe shares the same platform as the 2G TSX. ILX and Civic share the same platform. Pilot and MDX share platforms. All manufactures use platform engineering. Design a base chassis/powertrain and then play around with powertrain options, suspension, exterior and interior to differentiate all your models. The Ford fusion and Mazda 6 share the same platform...

I was just joking about 3G TSX...there will be no 3G TSX except for maybe just a special limited production as discussed above. Think about it...what new features could Acura build into the Accord platform to make it the next gen TSX? Other than taking the new Accord EX-L/EX-L V6 make it a little more refined with higher quality materials and change the styling along with jacking up the price, it would be difficult to make a clear distinction between both models with all the new gadgets/gizmo's on the Accord. AWD? They'll probably save that for the TLX to make it distinct from the Accord. Sales would probably go in the direction of the Accord since it will have pretty much all the same features with a lower price.

I predicted this way back when the Accord and ILX concepts appeared. Accord will become a global platform and Accord Euro/TSX will disappear. ILX will be Acura's entry level, TLX will be Acura's main stream mid level model, RLX will be the flagship high end model.

Thunderdomus's predictions:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=19
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=10
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=30

Its been hinted the TSX name will be going away moving forward:
http://acuraconnected.com/2012/05/15...g-conventions/

Last edited by thunderbt3; 09-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
So will the new US Accord will become the global Accord? The first 2 concept renderings have euro plates while the last picture has US plates.

New Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1091408

New Honda Accord Sport Sedan:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1091405

New Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1091398

Accord Plug in hybrid looks very much like the Concept C:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1091432

US Accord Specs:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...cle_id=1091576
I would be surprized they are identical designed. 190 inch vehicle wont sell in EU.
Honda has to make new Euro Accord lighter and smaller for 1.6 DTEC engine. they are only putting that engine in FWD CRV.
TSX interior interior dials are still nicer than CRV type USDM Accord.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 09-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I would be surprized they are identical designed. 190 inch vehicle wont sell in EU.
Honda has to make new Euro Accord lighter and smaller for 1.6 DTEC engine. they are only putting that engine in FWD CRV.
TSX interior interior dials are still nicer than CRV type USDM Accord.
"Honda also has reunified the Accord platform for all markets; no longer does the United States get its own version."
http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...120909960/1427

Honda probably designed the Accord primarily for the US market where they forecast the highest volume of sales. They'll probably focus more on small car (Civic/Fit) and diesel sales for Europe.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Grrr...the link wont link. Here's the article:

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- For all the similarity in the sheet metal to its predecessor, the 2013 Honda Accord is as close to a clean-sheet redesign as possible.

It is several inches shorter, and a new engine, transmission, suspension and body structure are among the key changes for Honda's mid-sized sedan. It also marks the first use of Honda's plug-in hybrid technology.

The redesigned Accord is Honda's crucial test to see if it once again can challenge the Toyota Camry as America's top-selling car, while fending off the Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion and others that are surging in mid-sized sales.

Honda also has reunified the Accord platform for all markets; no longer does the United States get its own version. And while Toyota stopped building the Solara, claiming weakness in the mid-sized coupe market, Honda will continue selling an Accord coupe.

The basics: Honda has caught up with other automakers in offering direct-injection engines. With the Accord, it is standard across the lineup. Also, Honda has updated its VTEC variable valve timing system to include variable cam timing. The four-cylinder offers more power, better fuel economy and lower emissions than its predecessor.

While some automakers are shifting to turbocharged four-cylinder engines for upmarket trim levels, Honda is sticking with a 3.5-liter V-6 paired with a six-speed automatic in the sedan.

The V-6 has variable cylinder management, which runs the engine in three-cylinder mode when cruising. That enables the V-6 to get 21 mpg city/34 mpg highway while shaving a half-second off its zero-to-60 time. The V-6 has gained six horsepower but has lost a couple pound-feet of torque.

Perhaps the most radical change for the Accord is switching from a geared transmission to a continuously variable version for all four-cylinder automatics. Honda says it has developed a solution to the CVT's traditional lack of refinement.
While Toyota stopped building the Solara, claiming weakness in the mid-sized coupe market, Honda will continue selling an Accord coupe (pictured).

"Historically, CVTs had a 'rubber band' feeling, or a nonlinear acceleration feeling," said Art St. Cyr, American Honda vice president for product planning and logistics. "Ours has a more natural shift feel, and an earlier rise in G-force acceleration compared to the five-speed automatic. And it has quicker acceleration than the Camry or Altima."

Enthusiasts will probably complain about the changing of the front double wishbone suspension, to MacPherson struts. Honda has prided itself on the Accord's track-inspired double wishbones since the automaker dominated Formula 1 in the 1980s.

But packaging realities intervened. Double wishbones lend themselves to crisp, precise handling. But they are heavier, take up more space, provide a busy ride on long trips and let more noise into the cabin.

Honda changed to a strut design to quiet the ride -- both dynamically and sonically. Honda engineers say the car is more agile, predictable and responsive, with better high-speed stability, thanks to the addition of hydraulic compliance bushings. But they admit there was difficulty in overcoming the off-center numbness inherent in the car's electric power steering system.

To save about 14 pounds, Honda used a new "friction stir welding" technology to bond steel to aluminum in the subframe. Overall, the body in white weighs 55 pounds less.

As for the sheet metal itself, while the front and rear fascias retain their distinct Honda flavor, the greenhouse, door cuts and body creases closely mimic those of the BMW 3 series.
The Accord's instrument panel features a standard eight-inch telematics screen, the largest in the segment.

Notable features: Inside, the instrument panel features a standard eight-inch telematics screen, the largest in the segment. While the previous instrument panel was made from four distinct pieces with 16 seams, the new design is one seamless piece. That will reduce the chance for squeaks and rattles. To further calm the cabin, the stereo speakers send noise-cancelling sound waves into the cabin.

Although the car is shorter it gains one cubic foot of trunk storage space thanks to a higher bulkhead and a narrowed and relocated torsion bar.

The Accord comes standard with 16-inch wheels, cruise control, dual-zone climate control, alarm system with remote locks, Bluetooth connectivity, rear-view camera, auto-off headlights and a 160-watt CD stereo with USB and Pandora Internet radio. Prices will be announced Monday.

Optional safety features include lane departure warning, a precollision warning chime and a camera mounted in the right-side mirror that displays the blind spot area on the navigation screen when the right-turn indicator is flicked.

For the hybrid version, a plug-in hybrid that arrives first in spring 2013, as opposed to the more mainstream, and less expensive, conventional hybrid consumers are used to. That comes later in 2013.

The two-motor hybrid system allows engine power to drive the front wheels, charge the battery pack or power the generator to supply electrical propulsion.

The car defaults to electric vehicle mode at startup, and can drive for 10 to 15 miles in EV mode before the gasoline engine kicks in. It is expected to have a range greater than 500 miles, with a miles-per-gallon equivalent of greater than 100.

Honda says a 240-volt charging system can recover eight miles of EV range in 30 minutes and fully charge in an hour. The car can run its climate control full blast and remain in EV mode.

What Honda says: "All companies are coming forward with good fuel economy, so we needed to bring a car with these winning features," said Shoji Matsui, Accord chief engineer. "This is a product you can't go wrong by. It excels in all areas."

Compromises and shortcomings: Purists probably will despise the CVT transmission and the loss of the front double wishbones. The PRND gear-shift tree does not offer a manual-shift mode. Paddle shifters are offered only on the sedan's "sport" trim level.

The market: The sedan's on-sale date is Sept. 19, and the coupe is scheduled to arrive in dealerships Oct. 15. Honda hopes to sell 350,000 Accords a year, with the coupe accounting for about 50,000 units, which likely won't surpass the Toyota Camry.

Through August, Honda sold 218,665 units of the current Accord in the United States, a 35 percent gain over the same eight months of 2011 in a market that has risen 15 percent.

The skinny: Some big changes were needed to the current bland, bloated Accord. Its look is crisper, its engines stronger. But in the case of the suspension and transmission choices, some may argue Honda went too far.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz25c1mVWtt
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

"We haven't announced plans for Europe," said Chris Martin with Honda public relations, "but the Ruissian model will share sheetmetal and basic design with the U.S. model."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/05/r...ith-u-s-model/
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow sad to see the 4 cylinder TSX disappear. I liked the fact that you can get a decent luxury vehicle with good handling/comfort and an efficient yet solid 4 banger.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by elsapo
Wow sad to see the 4 cylinder TSX disappear. I liked the fact that you can get a decent luxury vehicle with good handling/comfort and an efficient yet solid 4 banger.
It's not really that efficient, though, in comparison to more modern engines and tranny combos, so I can see why it would get axed. It wants Premium gas, and the city numbers are far from stellar (I know of V6s that are getting the same as I do, if not better). I like my car overall but the 4 cyl has been a bit of a letdown. If you don't do all highway driving or a large percentage of it, the engine just isn't that competitive anymore IMO.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by elsapo
I'm still holding out hope that the TLX will come in 4cyl and 6cyl options. The 4cyl for people who need more than the ILX in terms of size, but like TSX buyers don't need the V6. And the V6 for current TL buyers. This may also improve overall CAFE numbers. The TLX will probably also offer the hybrid.

On the down side, if they offer a 4cyl TSX they will probably dumb it down in which case Acura may not make a car for me and I look elsewhere.