TSX Battery Drain Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Battery Drain Issues

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my TSX. My wife drives the car- she said that when it started up she heard a constant "hum" that sounded like a belt that was different than the typical sounds. She drove the car to me. The battery light was on, and I also heard the humming. I drove the car around a few miles and parked it. When I came back, the car appeared to have a bad battery. I charged it, started it (which it did) and then shut it off shortly after. At this point I was thinking it was an alternator or belt/pulley tensioner problem. I left the car where it was and came back the next morning. At this point, the battery was completely dead. Didn't think too much of this and tried to charge it. Left the charger on all day, came back and realized that there seemed to be a fault in the system and it was not charging. Zero power would work. I disconnected the battery terminals and the battery would charge- the charger said that the battery was almost fully charged. I'm confused as to what this could be:
1. shorted out alternator?
2. I read some about the main fuse causing this type of issue. But doesn't seem like this would be it because of how the car ran for a while?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:44 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the hum could be from the alternator.
the alternator could be going bad.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I need to get a multi-meter and check.

I'm likely wrong, but I thought that if my battery was full that I could at least get some power in the car or even start it for some period of time. Is that not true?

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:57 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
if the battery was completely dead, it might have been discharged to the point of no return
Old 08-22-2021, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
An alternator does not normally hum. They roar/grind when the bearings are failing. The rectifiers inside of them can hum, but they are too small to hear over a running engine.
Do this:
1) Open the hood
2) turn off ignition, lights, unplugged cell phone charger and other accessories. If you have an aftermarket amplifier disconnect the red power wire & remote on.
3) close all doors and trunk.
4) disconnect negative battery terminal. Touch the negative terminal back to the negative stud. If there is an excessive arc/spark proceed to step 5
5) disconnect the big power wire on the back of the alternator. Touch the negative terminal back to the negative stud. If there is an excessive arc/spark proceed to step 6
6) disconnect the multi wire plug from the alternator. Touch the negative terminal back to the negative stud. If there is an excessive arc/spark proceed to step 7
7) remove the alternator belt and spin the pulley if roughness is present replace the alternator. If it is smooth have the alternator check professionally.

**** If the spark goes away/lessen when the any of the alternator wire is disconnected "usually the big power wire" this is a sign of a failed alternator. Keep in mind on modern cars with multiple control modules. There will be some power drain on the battery when everything is off and the vehicle is locked. So keep in mind you will get some spark when doing step 4, 5 & 6. *****