TSX 2G Midlife Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yeah, and that's why I said the relation between the Avensis and HS250 is like the US Accord to TL. Same platform same transmission and even similar engines in the base model. The biggest difference is sheet metal (and interiors). The HS250 has Lexus's signature design language. Lexus can't simply just rebadge a Avensis, since Lexus is a global brand. Also, Toyota learned from the Prius that you can have a tall roomy car and still have superior Cd (over low slung cars).
Thats you agree now. The Car is real Lexus not a rebadging work from Toyota.
http://inventorspot.com/articles/lex...on_syste_22260
Lexus Designs new Infotainment System with Mouse-Like Navigation System
TSX will not only need upgrades in information system but also in performance. I doubt current engine is upto to task with Hybrid torque. Since from Honda past it wont give anything to TSX without EuroAccord consideration.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Thats you agree now. The Car is real Lexus not a rebadging work from Toyota.

TSX will not only need upgrades in information system but also in performance. I doubt current engine is upto to task with Hybrid torque. Since from Honda past it wont give anything to TSX without EuroAccord consideration.
Yeah, I never said the HS was a rebadged Toyota. It's actually a great idea, on Toyota's part. The design is a bit bland, but at least it's not as ugly as the Avensis. I think where the TSX is concerned Honda should change some sheet metal so that it can be it's own model (even if it still has the same powertrain). All they need to do is make a production version of this design:

With the addition of a SH-AWD model with a V6, the TSX should be fine.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, I never said the HS was a rebadged Toyota. It's actually a great idea, on Toyota's part. The design is a bit bland, but at least it's not as ugly as the Avensis. I think where the TSX is concerned Honda should change some sheet metal so that it can be it's own model (even if it still has the same powertrain). All they need to do is make a production version of this design:

With the addition of a SH-AWD model with a V6, the TSX should be fine.
Actually the basic design of TSX is fine. It is more of evolution of previous design. the picture you posted is car too fat and low. Not imposing tall looking car. TSX needs LED lights/better Rims/Aerokit bumpers/HDD navigation

Lexus is not half baked effort like TSX where LKA is omitted. SH-AWD adds weight, decrease fuel economy and performance. there is no point in overcomplicating TSX.

http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2010-hs_250h/
The EPS is an integral part of an available lane keep assist system, a new driver assist that adds smooth steering torque to help the vehicle stay in the center of the lane. The amount of assisted torque is dependant on a lane-marker detection camera. It includes a lane departure warning feature that is designed to detect possible lane departure; it then gives the driver an audible warning and provides feedback via the steering wheel to encourage corrective action.
HS250 is well proportioned to its size.

3600lbs CVT hybrid Camry is faster than 3500lbs Auto TSX on Premium fuel.
There is data sheet for the whole test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...omparison_test
That means no neck-snapping downshifts accompanied by Shop-Vac sucking sounds, yet the electrical assist gives real muscles to all of these hybrids. They gather up and pass quickly on the two-lanes. For example, this silky-silent Camry sprints from 30 to 50 mph in 4.0 seconds and 50 to 70 in 5.1, improving on the nonhybrid Camry’s marks by 0.3 and 1.0 second, respectively.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually the basic design of TSX is fine. It is more of evolution of previous design. the picture you posted is car too fat and low. Not imposing tall looking car. TSX needs LED lights/better Rims/Aerokit bumpers/HDD navigation

Lexus is not half baked effort like TSX where LKA is omitted. SH-AWD adds weight, decrease fuel economy and performance. there is no point in overcomplicating TSX.

HS250 is well proportioned to its size.

3600lbs CVT hybrid Camry is faster than 3500lbs Auto TSX on Premium fuel.
There is data sheet for the whole test.
I think LED lights/better Rims/Aerokit bumpers/HDD navigation would be nice and all of which I think would be probable. The only problem is the TSX in it's current form can't be released in any global market outside of NA. I don't know how Acuras would sell in JP, Euro, etc with only two relatively large sedans and two big crossovers. A TSX sized vehicle is needed for global success.

I'm not surprised by the fact that the Camry Hybrid is faster than the TSX. The TSX is pretty heavy and the Camry has loads more torque (thanks to the electric motor). The HS250 might be even faster since it's smaller. Do you know if the HS is lighter or heavier than the Camry?

Oh yeah and the design of the TSX is very nice now, but it's still just a Euro Accord. I personally think the TSX looks better than the IS, ES, or HS, but it's going to need some differentiation if it goes global.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

I think LED lights/better Rims/Aerokit bumpers/HDD navigation would be nice and all of which I think would be probable. The only problem is the TSX in it's current form can't be released in any global market outside of NA. I don't know how Acuras would sell in JP, Euro, etc with only two relatively large sedans and two big crossovers. A TSX sized vehicle is needed for global success.

I'm not surprised by the fact that the Camry Hybrid is faster than the TSX. The TSX is pretty heavy and the Camry has loads more torque (thanks to the electric motor). The HS250 might be even faster since it's smaller. Do you know if the HS is lighter or heavier than the Camry?

Oh yeah and the design of the TSX is very nice now, but it's still just a Euro Accord. I personally think the TSX looks better than the IS, ES, or HS, but it's going to need some differentiation if it goes global.
Hybrid Camry is 300lbs heavier than comparably equiped 4 Cylinder XLE Camry.
But i bet HS250H will get better mpg at higher freeway speeds as it is more aerodynamic. unless HS is too heavy because of Lexus sound dreadening/comfort.
TSX is better looking than Lexus IS/ES but on HS i will hold my opinion untill it is seen in person. I like the way Lexus advertize HS. They put the car in front page of there Web six month ahead of sale.
I think HS will be wisper quiet.and Lexus marketing research thinks 60% of buyers would consider a hybrid.
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/01/lexus-builds-a.html
Templin says Toyota, which owns Lexus, expects the HS250h to do well because its research shows 60 percent of luxury car buyers would have considered a hybrid if one were available. "They also want a car that is kinder to the environment with outstanding gas mileage and low emissions, as well as one that offers advanced features, the latest electronics and one that delivers exceptional comfort," he said.

It seems Acura launches vehicle without considering consumer research as they simply rebadge stuff from one market to another.
It would be better for Acura to have muscular version of TSX rebadged as TL intead of basing it on US accord and making oversize. Lexus ES/GS are same size but with different prices.

I dont expect major investment from Honda in TSX. All it can do is what is available on TL/RL to implement in TSX. but that will increase the cost and weight of car. and it will become uncompetitive.
Honda is essentially using same engine for MDX/RL/TL. with pretty similar horspower.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread should be retitled "Why SSFTSX wants to blow Lexus". Snooooooze.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
This thread should be retitled "Why SSFTSX wants to blow Lexus". Snooooooze.
So what orifice does Audi use?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

If the TSX were to become a hybrid pussy car Acura would have no answer to the A4 or the IS250 etc, and even if they offered it as an option it wouldn't make for a great hybrid, so if you're going to ponder a hybrid Acura don't look at the TSX.

I think the chance of a V6 with AWD is looking good considering thhey made room for both. Some say that would eat TL sales but that's if you assume the TL and TSX are otherwise equal which they are not. At the moment the TL has a more sophisticated tech package but aside from that it's a bigger car that looks fashonable on a 60 year old while the TSX has a look that apeals to a 30 year old. I could have afforded an '09 TL but it doesn't have the character I want right now. However I would take it's features any day.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Safety Car

You can pretty much bet on HS250 to be faster than TSX Auto by wide margin. Almost equal to 6MT TSX. HS250 Tech package is even better than TL. Just the front View 190 degree Cam/HUD/LDW/LKA/CMBS for electric power steering.
Toyota has larger supplier base and much bigger hybrid market. Toyota sales more hybrid around the world are more than Alll Honda V6 combined from TL/MDX/RL/Odyssey/Pilot. So Hybrid is the way to go. If Honda does not introduce high power hybrid by now. They gap in investment/experiance/technology will be too wide. It already happened to Honda in diesel.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Pro

You can pretty much bet on HS250 to be faster than TSX Auto by wide margin. Almost equal to 6MT TSX. HS250 Tech package is even better than TL. Just the front View 190 degree Cam/HUD/LDW/LKA/CMBS for electric power steering.
Toyota has larger supplier base and much bigger hybrid market. Toyota sales more hybrid around the world are more than Alll Honda V6 combined from TL/MDX/RL/Odyssey/Pilot. So Hybrid is the way to go. If Honda does not introduce high power hybrid by now. They gap in investment/experiance/technology will be too wide. It already happened to Honda in diesel.
Will the HS250 handle like a wet sack of potatoes like all other Toyota hybrids, and most other Toyotas in general?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD23
Will the HS250 handle like a wet sack of potatoes like all other Toyota hybrids, and most other Toyotas in general?
It is not Toyota. It is lexus. So comfort/quietness/technology/quality is No1 Criteria. Hybrid Camry with 16 inch stock is no worse than 4cylinder Accord/Camry. I doubt there will be big difference.

That was 3 years ago. with Z-rated 18inch rubber. 63.5mph slolam.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=1
Note: The non-hybrid GS 430 won our Japanese sport sedan comparison test, beating out the 2005 Acura RL and the 2006 Infiniti M45
Power vs. fuel economy
This hybrid, the first rear-wheel-drive hybrid, is all about performance and power, no doubt about that. It's so quiet and so fast it offers a new driving paradigm in which seemingly anything is possible.
Our testing delivered zero to 60 in 5.5 seconds, and over about 300 miles of driving, we averaged 22 mpg. For that kind of performance, even 22 mpg is darned good.
In edmunds test Auto TSX achieves only 22mpg. which was achievd by GS450h 3 years ago with 4200lbs car.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Pro

In edmunds test Auto TSX achieves only 22mpg. which was achievd by GS450h 3 years ago with 4200lbs car.
That's impressive, except that one could buy two TSXs for the price of one GS450h.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Accord Hybrid was pretty much almost exactly what you're talking about (except for the fact that it was a V6). The TSX will probably lose quite a few sales from the HS, but it should continue to do well with young singles. The HS will steal some of the ES's market (families and seniors). The IS is the TSX's main competitor and it outsells most vehicles in the segment including the TSX and TL.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

That's impressive, except that one could buy two TSXs for the price of one GS450h.
I merely point out that Lexus has the technology years ago to achieve fuel efficiency of 4 cylinder TSX with performance of V12 sedan. (Even V8 will have difficulty in moving 4200lb car at such speeds unless is turbo). with super silent/super comfort.
Toyota/Lexus is in business of Hybrid revolution. while Acura has completely missed the bus.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...mktid=cj260233
A tough competitor
A car should be evaluated in terms of its target audience. With that in mind, I gave the GS 450h to a top Edmunds.com executive for his opinion. The next morning, he enthusiastically reported that it was one of the few cars he had driven lately that he would consider spending his own money on
Lexus even added AFS for HS250 (Only RL has this in Acura). Hybrid is considered high water mark in Lexus line up for its size. HS250 is more compact and sporty looking from pixtures than TSX. Its turning circle should be smaller than TSX.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...to_show/11.htm
Welch: I've seen too many of this car's curves and lines on other Lexus offerings. But it does look pretty good. This will also keep the brand relevant with younger luxury buyers. I like the car, but I have one major complaint. That name is terrible. I kept forgetting the alphanumeric combo when I first wrote about it. What was that? The HMS2953h?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

The Accord Hybrid was pretty much almost exactly what you're talking about (except for the fact that it was a V6). The TSX will probably lose quite a few sales from the HS, but it should continue to do well with young singles. The HS will steal some of the ES's market (families and seniors). The IS is the TSX's main competitor and it outsells most vehicles in the segment including the TSX and TL.
4cylinder HS250H should be faster than 6 cylinder IS250. HS250h takes the last argument in favor of TSX by offering enhanced fuel economy/Standard equipment/Interior space which IS250 lacks. So TSX/IS250/HS250 are all playing to same audience. I think for performance folks will just buy IS350.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Drifting

I want to interrupt your Lexus cheerleading for a second to point out that Honda is betting on pure electric, which is a longer term goal than hybrid technology but also where the technology is heading. Just as Toyota looks to be way out ahead of every one in the hybrid market today, Honda is going to be in that position 10 or 15 years from now. I don't know that they really need to be too worried about moving on Toyota's turf for the immediate future. They're slow playing this one.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Pro

I merely point out that Lexus has the technology years ago to achieve fuel efficiency of 4 cylinder TSX with performance of V12 sedan. (Even V8 will have difficulty in moving 4200lb car at such speeds unless is turbo). with super silent/super comfort.
Toyota/Lexus is in business of Hybrid revolution. while Acura has completely missed the bus.
The GS450h is extremely heavy because of the weight added by the hybrid system, so I don't see how the performance is quite as impressive as you make it out to be. Hybrid systems add weight and reduce handling prowess.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

The GS450h is extremely heavy because of the weight added by the hybrid system, so I don't see how the performance is quite as impressive as you make it out to be. Hybrid systems add weight and reduce handling prowess.
Actually it is impressive system. It may not be as nimble as 550I but it is certainly more refined and as fast as V12 Sedans in mid range speeds. The manage to achieve that in April 2005 model year when it was presented.

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...omparison_test
Those electric motors and batteries add up at the scales — at 4183 pounds, the Lexus was the heaviest in a hefty foursome, 303 pounds heavier than the GS430 we tested in May 2005 — but for all that it sprinted to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and covered the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 103 mph. This was a shade quicker than the M45, as well as the GS430, and more important, the 450h posted the best 30-to-50 and 50-to-70 times in the group, performance that made it impressive in back-road passing maneuvers. And reinforcing its hybridity, it rang up the best real-world fuel economy: 20 mpg over the course of our 650-mile ramble, 3 mpg better than the next-best BMW and Benz.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Banned

I really love how the TSX handles and looks inside and out not to mention its features. It bothers me that Lexus requires you to stop the car to operate the nav system. You treat acceleration, size and mpg as if they're the only performance markers that matter. It's quite possible that the next TSX or whatever could be lesser in all three areas and still be a more desireble car to my tastes.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

I want to interrupt your Lexus cheerleading for a second to point out that Honda is betting on pure electric, which is a longer term goal than hybrid technology but also where the technology is heading. Just as Toyota looks to be way out ahead of every one in the hybrid market today, Honda is going to be in that position 10 or 15 years from now. I don't know that they really need to be too worried about moving on Toyota's turf for the immediate future. They're slow playing this one.
Honda has already lost hybrid/diesel market to Toyota. There is very little confidence that they can manage anything better than Toyota.
15 years too long time in Auto Industry. Honda may not even exist as independent just like Nissan/Mazda/Daihatsu etc.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wackura
I really love how the TSX handles and looks inside and out not to mention its features. It bothers me that Lexus requires you to stop the car to operate the nav system. You treat acceleration, size and mpg as if they're the only performance markers that matter. It's quite possible that the next TSX or whatever could be lesser in all three areas and still be a more desireble car to my tastes.
Sales of car directly depends on raw numbers like interior space/mpg/brand name. Enthusiasts have very little influence on sales
Lexus has done survey where 60% of buyers would have chosen hybrid car for entry level Luxury. Honda does not have technology so better not even ask such question.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Drifting

Honda has already lost hybrid/diesel market to Toyota. There is very little confidence that they can manage anything better than Toyota.
15 years too long time in Auto Industry. Honda may not even exist as independent just like Nissan/Mazda/Daihatsu etc.
Jesus fucking christ man, do you work for Toyota or something? Should we all bow in reverence to the all mighty Toyota?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned

Sales of car directly depends on raw numbers like interior space/mpg/brand name. Enthusiasts have very little influence on sales
Lexus has done survey where 60% of buyers would have chosen hybrid car for entry level Luxury. Honda does not have technology so better not even ask such question.
What people say they want and what they actualy want are two different things. American auto makers claimed this discrepency was part of the reason they created so many of the wrong kind of car. Everybody overestimates their desire to go green.

But that's beside the point. There's no reason Acura can't be a succesful niche brand. If you were incharge they would clone Toyota products and that wouldn't be much fun. I applaud Honda's failure if in the process they create a car I want to buy.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Jesus fucking christ man, do you work for Toyota or something? Should we all bow in reverence to the all mighty Toyota?
SSFTSX, has a point, but I think Honda will be able to survive (just look at all the cost cutting). I think the only thing in jeopardy at Hodna is the Acura brand...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

4cylinder HS250H should be faster than 6 cylinder IS250. HS250h takes the last argument in favor of TSX by offering enhanced fuel economy/Standard equipment/Interior space which IS250 lacks. So TSX/IS250/HS250 are all playing to same audience. I think for performance folks will just buy IS350.
That was my thinking when the HS came out. All the people that only bought the TSX for fuel efficiency will now have an even better option. That could easily wipe out 20% of the TSX's sales. Most people I know that bought the TSX only bought it for the sole reason of it being a high mileage luxury car. The TSX should still do well though since it will likely still be cheaper than the HS when similarly equipped.

The HS will most definitely be faster than the IS250, but the IS350 will still have a big market since it primarily fights the G37 and 335. Also the new IS250/350c comes out and that should help the IS hold it's ground in the Lexus lineup. The ES should continue to do well because it's larger than both the IS and HS.

Oh and one more thought. I wonder why Lexus didn't just make an ES hybrid (instead of the whole new model)? The ES is already just a rebadged Camry.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Pro

No, we should also bow to Audi. I don't think you realize that everything Honda does is wrong, while everything Toyota, Nissan, BMW, VW, MB, and Hyundai do is right. It's amazing that Honda isn't bankrupt like the Big Three considering their products are so inferior.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Pro

On topic again, it would be nice if Acura would replace the painted plastic trim around the center console with the metal coated plastic from the TL; the metal coated plastic has a much more luxurious look, IMO.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

On topic again, it would be nice if Acura would replace the painted plastic trim around the center console with the metal coated plastic from the TL; the metal coated plastic has a much more luxurious look, IMO.
Some optional wood grain would be nice too. I think that was available on the first gen pre MMC?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Some optional wood grain would be nice too. I think that was available on the first gen pre MMC?
Plood (fake wood) was standard on the parchment interior 2004-2008.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
SSFTSX, you're repeatedly hijacking this thread to trumpet Toyo/Lexus and how they're superior. That does nothing to contribute to this thread's topic, and frankly, it's getting monotonous and boring. Except that your eccentric approach to grammar and syntax is comedic, a little.

Let's get this back on topic and discuss improving the TSX, or I'm outta here.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Plood (fake wood) was standard on the parchment interior 2004-2008.
Yeah, I thought I remembered that. Well it would be nice if real wood was optional on TSX/TL (and maybe even RDX).
Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by davidspalding
SSFTSX, you're repeatedly hijacking this thread to trumpet Toyo/Lexus and how they're superior. That does nothing to contribute to this thread's topic, and frankly, it's getting monotonous and boring. Except that your eccentric approach to grammar and syntax is comedic, a little.

Let's get this back on topic and discuss improving the TSX, or I'm outta here.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

That was my thinking when the HS came out. All the people that only bought the TSX for fuel efficiency will now have an even better option. That could easily wipe out 20% of the TSX's sales. Most people I know that bought the TSX only bought it for the sole reason of it being a high mileage luxury car. The TSX should still do well though since it will likely still be cheaper than the HS when similarly equipped.
The only luxury option in TSX is Leather/Navigation/HID that comes standard. From Lexus statements it seems most of it will be standard on HS250.

The HS will most definitely be faster than the IS250, but the IS350 will still have a big market since it primarily fights the G37 and 335. Also the new IS250/350c comes out and that should help the IS hold it's ground in the Lexus lineup. The ES should continue to do well because it's larger than both the IS and HS.
Oh and one more thought. I wonder why Lexus didn't just make an ES hybrid (instead of the whole new model)? The ES is already just a rebadged Camry.
ES will need V6 hybrid system which would have raised the price beyond $40K.
The idea is to create 4 cylinder hybrid car that is faster than other 4cylinder cars. They have upgraded regular 4cylinder Camry for 2010 for 180ft-lb of torque at lower rpm. So TSX does not offer any performance advantage in 4cylinder category even with premium fuel.
Ideally it should have 240bhp 4cylinder by now. so no increase in weight and cost for better performance.
TSX is Japanese built car. Adding V6 will add alteast $4K in dollar terms.
By not investing in Acura to make it tier-1 brand around the globe in past 20 years will put an end to Honda in long term. In 1990 Japanese market was twice the size of today and in next 10 years the market size will become into half of today. So you are looking at total market size of 25% of 1990s in 2015. and most of the cars will be lowerpriced small cars. So there isnt any profits there.
Alot of technologies is flowing into Chinese/Koreans/India from Europeans. It is especially in German interest to wipe the profits from mass market Japanese manufacturer in Asia so they dont have money to compete in upscale segments.

http://www.avl.com/wo/webobsession.s...jA4Mzg_3D.html
Powertrain Engineering AVL China Technical Centre Shanghai
AVL China Technical Centre Shanghai
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It's like talking to a wall....
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

wildly off topic
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
It's like talking to a wall....
Seriously

For something on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing the smart key thing, and cooled seats. Although I know cooled seats will probably never make it to the TSX. A V6 would be nice, too, for some extra power.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
wildly off topic
And drawing upon many different makes on models to beat down on a TSX update that hasn't been made yet. Its like saying Barack Obama has failed. He hasn't even stepped into office yet. Likewise, the TSX hasn't been updated yet, and those models he point out haven't been made or priced here yet.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
For something on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing the smart key thing, and cooled seats. Although I know cooled seats will probably never make it to the TSX. A V6 would be nice, too, for some extra power.
I'll add to that the sport bumper (or whatever its called) as standard and 18" wheels as standard as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I'd love to see a V6, but I'd like to see if they could somehow wring some more NA power out of the K24.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only luxury option in TSX is Leather/Navigation/HID that comes standard. From Lexus statements it seems most of it will be standard on HS250.

ES will need V6 hybrid system which would have raised the price beyond $40K.
The idea is to create 4 cylinder hybrid car that is faster than other 4cylinder cars. They have upgraded regular 4cylinder Camry for 2010 for 180ft-lb of torque at lower rpm. So TSX does not offer any performance advantage in 4cylinder category even with premium fuel.
Ideally it should have 240bhp 4cylinder by now. so no increase in weight and cost for better performance.
TSX is Japanese built car. Adding V6 will add alteast $4K in dollar terms.
By not investing in Acura to make it tier-1 brand around the globe in past 20 years will put an end to Honda in long term. In 1990 Japanese market was twice the size of today and in next 10 years the market size will become into half of today. So you are looking at total market size of 25% of 1990s in 2015. and most of the cars will be lowerpriced small cars. So there isnt any profits there.
Alot of technologies is flowing into Chinese/Koreans/India from Europeans. It is especially in German interest to wipe the profits from mass market Japanese manufacturer in Asia so they dont have money to compete in upscale segments.
I think the ES would be fine with the same I4 hybrid system the Camry (HS) has, but it's probably good marketing to have a "separate" hybrid in the lineup.

Oh and about the TSX and Acura. That's why I was saying Acura should give the TSX a separate design. I think the sport4 concept is a good place to start.

And most of the loss of profit of Japanese automakers can be attributed to the artificially high yen. If the yen is allowed to fall in price the Japanese automakers would be doing a lot better. Honda has even considered leaving Japan because of the problem:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ceo-stro...ave-japan.html

Under the pressure of a rising yen, Honda’s Chief Executive Takeo Fukui is calling on the Japanese government to act swiftly in order to stabilize the country’s currency. Fukui has warned Hondawill have to take more production out of Japan and possibly even move its headquarters overseas if a solution isn’t found

Quick Reply: TSX 2G Midlife Update