Tinting the Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey CybrRdr,
What is the VLT % on your tint? Just curious.
N2O
Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Racer

I have to agree with infamous. the fade is horrible. and on grigio (same color as my car) it would be even worse.worse than the brake light cut out.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by NVR2OLD
Hey CybrRdr,
What is the VLT % on your tint? Just curious.
N2O
Front Doors= 70% (CA Legal)
Rear Doors = 35% (Medium)
Rear Window = 35% (Medium)

Already tinted by dealer before I purchased.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NVR2OLD
Holy Crap Infamous, #@*$, now I gotta get my vice grips back out and take the cool duals off that I made outta vacum cleaner parts.

But, that's why I like these forums. Opinions are plentiful, but so is the experience. It's a good thing because I recieved an excellent quote from a place near DC that uses only 3M and they have reccomended I get the new Color Stable line. Supposedly there is never any fade or discoloration and comes with a lifetime warr. Oh, and they will not cut out the third brake light. Legal in MD is 35%, but it comes in a 20% too. I found a site that shows the differences http://www.epdwindowfilm.com/Page.as...sec.FilmViewer

The total price is only 209.00 + tax. Not bad if you ask me, and I thought it would be more.

N2O
Hey never2old. I can't PM you but I was wondering where the tinting place was near DC. I'm in MD and I've been looking for a place to do my tints as well, esp covering the brake light.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Had Axcess applied Saturday. Didn't want to chance it with the electronics with a metallic film. Sort of overcast day so pics didn't come out all that good. Ended up being 35% sides and 37% rear. I guess the rear must be slightly brighter prior to tinting. This was as dark as allowed in Maine.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
10th Gear

Sorry guys, I wasn't getting notified of these posts even though I subscribed. Not sure why. Anyway.........

Thanks CybrRdr, the rear looks darker to me. I like it!

And while I think the new TSX looks great with any % of tint, including the lighter versions (to me the lighter tint looks more sophisticated & higher end, fyi, I was only kidding about that silver fade before, trying to stir things up a bit), I like it darker and I will probably break the rules and go for 3M Color Stable 20 (16%) because like the wife said, “why ever waste money on anything less than what you really want”.

Maryland is 35% though so…... and being as Anti-PoPo as they come, I might just bite the bullet this time just to avoid the possible hassle(s) and get the legal stuff. Of course if the Man wants to pull you over he’ll use whatever reason no matter what % tint you have.

Here is why I did (and do) so much homework. I found, that depending on what brand and style you get they all have different specs and actually look different too. One might be listed as Super Solar Tint 35 but in actuality it's VLT (Visible Light Transmission, or how much sunlight gets through) is 38%, or something else. And a 3, 5 or 10% difference might seem like nothing on paper, sure, but because it's black in color and not grey in color it appears darker. On the other hand Solar Gard 20% grey might be darker than 3M 35% black. There are sites you can go to see the manufacturer specs on this stuff. Then it really gets interesting. Specs on how much solar energy is reflected, etc. More than I care to read but it pays in the long run and is certainly better than assuming anything about this stuff.

Just about all block 99% of harmful UV rays. So as far as that goes they are all the same. I think it comes down to this, shop reputation, the product & cost.

I sent some e-mails back and forth to a place near DC, in Rockville Maryland (http://www.drivendynamics.com/) and the guy was great. One of the owners, Art, answered every question, imparted his opinion without telling me what I want (we all hate when they think they know what's best for us). A real nice person. And the price was less than I expected. So just to see I called a place that has a tremendous rep and that’s a lot closer to me. The price wasn’t even 30 dollars more so that was good, and probably 30-45 min less of a drive which other than the joy of driving a TSX is sort of a inconvenience because of my busy schedule, and they used same material. But I will probably go to the place farther away. Why? Just the whole vibe I got from both, or the differences. The first was hungry and he made me feel comfortable, and the second, well, made me feel like just another customer.

The best way to tell though I'm sure is to go into the place you’re gonna use, and look at the products and see what they (the types and grades) all actually look like in person.

And too it gives you the opportunity to see the shop and employees first hand. I want my TSX to be serviced at a place that is as clean as the dealership I bought it from (it was immaculate). Or with employees that look like they respect themselves, their job, and will respect my ride as much as I do.

Those are just my opinions. Sorry to run on but it might help those that have little knowledge about tint like me (or like I used to). So post up some photos everyone and list the VLT % and manufacturer name, and type so we all know exactly what we are looking at. Please

N2O

Here are some of the links I visited doing my homework:

http://www.epdwindowfilm.com/Page.aspx?content=sec.FilmViewer

Solar Gard:
http://www.solargard.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Auto.Products/Auto-Product-Line.htm

Great 3M resources:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchgardAutoProtection/Home/AutoApplicators/Home/Products/WindowFilm/

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrievalAPI/BlobServlet?locale=en_US&univid=1180595370317&fall back=true&assetType=MMM_Image&blobAttribute=ImageF ile&placeId=7BC6E48B1800BAE180A88EBDDE346FAF&versi on=current
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought it better to do so than start another. I'm trying to find a pic of someone with their rear window tinted with the third brake light cutout and an ebony interior. I've gone through many posts but have yet to find that picture and angle to see how the cutout looks with a black rear deck.

I’m ready to get my windows done, but wanted to review all my options before getting the work done. Ideally I’m thinking 50% all around due to my State’s tint law, but might entertain 35% on the rear as it is still legal. My motivation for tinting is more for heat and glare and less about the look, but I would be lying if I said looks do not matter at all.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

Don't do it, go with the entire window tinted. If it's legal. The light is bright enough not to matter, even with 35%.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

Unfortunately it is not legal in VA.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

I do agree that it looks cleaner with the entire window done, but was told it would not pass state inspection if it is covered. I'm still hoping someone else has a picture of a black interior with the brake light cutout. Otherwise, I will have to suck it up and hope for the best.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol i'm upset that I am just seeing this post I got the cut out, but only because I had a hell of a time with my tint job. I got it tinted metallic first from a guy that worked at a dealer, but then He did a horrendous job and disappeared the whole company just up and disappeared.. and I noticed my GPS was off with the metallic and being retarded some times, so when they guy told me the metallic tint was the cause I did not hesitate to get the carbon film..

They did it with the cut out, and I never thought twice about it untill just now. makes me a sad panda bear, I think it looks fine with the cut out but it would look better with out it. I won't be taking my tint off to have that fixed though, They scared me enough the first time saying they might rip off some of the defroster things while removing tint and I had to sign a wave approving this, even though its like 5% chance.. no thanks. The tint I picked up was lifetime warranty against fading, lifetime warranty against bubbles ( which I have used a lot finally done right now : ) ) and life time warranty against me taking a knife to the window and saying It just happened.. for about $260 35% in the front ( not really legal But i'll play dumb ) and 18 in the back.
Metallic tint fades, and looks horrendous in 3 or 4 years anyway if your car is exposed to a lot of sun, why would you want that? Isn't that why we get tint? lol

Whole tint job for me after getting ripped off and finally getting it done right?
$590

$260 to get it fixed
$80 to get all 4 windows removed
$250 from the first guy who warped my windows with a heat gun when it was 3 days old as well.. Got it fixed under warranty though
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Racer

My tint place always does it under the brake light...

That being said, it took two tries. The first time they said they would try to do it without removing anything. After 3 days the tint under the light and the lower edge of the window had started to separate from the glass. I took it back and they tried again without removing the shelf. After trying for 30 minutes the guy said it was too difficult and they ended up removing the shelf. Its been fine since with no rattles on the shelf

I do have to mention though...I had it done with below freezing temps, and I think the water solution had frozen before it completely dried up, separating the film from the glass. They kept my car in the heated garage overnight, but I guess it wasn't enough. I've never had a problems until now getting tint done...this was the first time I had it don't in winter.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hermes
Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought it better to do so than start another. I'm trying to find a pic of someone with their rear window tinted with the third brake light cutout and an ebony interior. I've gone through many posts but have yet to find that picture and angle to see how the cutout looks with a black rear deck.

I’m ready to get my windows done, but wanted to review all my options before getting the work done. Ideally I’m thinking 50% all around due to my State’s tint law, but might entertain 35% on the rear as it is still legal. My motivation for tinting is more for heat and glare and less about the look, but I would be lying if I said looks do not matter at all.

Thanks in advance
I have some pics of the brake area cut out with ebony interior. Will post some pics once I get home from work this evening. I plan on getting the whole rear retinted to cover up the area. Just my personal preference for getting it redone. It doesn't look too bad. So if you can wait until 5pm EST time i'll post the pic of my car with the cut out.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-photograph-gallery-144/black-tsx-730460/

black interior a whole bunch of pictures of it in different lights and settings have fun Feel free to revive that thread :-P
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

Very nice I love the wheels and sport bumpers.

I have a 2010 where my rear deck is black and if I understand correctly Acura switched from the light gray rear decks to all black for ebony interiors somewhere in the 2009 production cycle. From your pictures it would appears to have the light gray rear deck. My hope is that the black rear deck with the cutout blends well enough with a 35% that it is less noticeable.

Based on name, I hope acuratsx2010 has some images as the rear deck should be black.

I’m trying to avoid the repeat trips to get it done right the first time as it sounds like a few of you have had some headaches getting a good tint job.
Thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im looking to get mine tinted, next friday when i have off. i plan on getting the whole window tinted. im waiting for the dealer to get my wing spoiler so i dont think covering the brake light would matter with the leds in the spoiler. anyone know if they turn off the interior brake light with the wing spoiler or do they leave both on?

also, im going to go to shadesofgray in feasterville pa. they seem like a great place and ive seen plenty of their work. ex, they can do a corvette's rear window in one piece. dont know if that is considered groundbreaking but im just worried about the accessability to the back window as many have previously mentioned. do they really have to take apart the rear deck?
im not comfortable with it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

well fuck man lol i want mine switched under warranty! haha I want a black rear deck, my entire interior is black except the roof and the rear deck its retarded.. thats what I get for buying a 09 in 08 lol
Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Very nice I love the wheels and sport bumpers.

I have a 2010 where my rear deck is black and if I understand correctly Acura switched from the light gray rear decks to all black for ebony interiors somewhere in the 2009 production cycle. From your pictures it would appears to have the light gray rear deck. My hope is that the black rear deck with the cutout blends well enough with a 35% that it is less noticeable.

Based on name, I hope acuratsx2010 has some images as the rear deck should be black.

I’m trying to avoid the repeat trips to get it done right the first time as it sounds like a few of you have had some headaches getting a good tint job.
Thanks

Yes, Sorry. I'll get the pics up today. There was a car wreck on my way home and so I was stuck in traffic for awhile and forgot about posting the pics. Will do so today for sure!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=26766
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Instructor

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Sorry, still learning how to post pics on here. This will give you a clue as to what the cut out on an ebony interior of a 2010 looks like. The percentage is 20%.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Haven't washed the car this week as you can see. Need to but its going to rain the next 3-4 days so don't want to waste my money on washing it then have it get dirty all over again the next day.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Cruisin'

Those are perfect. That was exactly what I was looking for. In the world of tradeoffs, I think I can live with cutout now versus moving to another state with a better tint law ;-)

Thanks again for posting those pics. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hjahmad
im looking to get mine tinted, next friday when i have off. i plan on getting the whole window tinted. im waiting for the dealer to get my wing spoiler so i dont think covering the brake light would matter with the leds in the spoiler. anyone know if they turn off the interior brake light with the wing spoiler or do they leave both on?

also, im going to go to shadesofgray in feasterville pa. they seem like a great place and ive seen plenty of their work. ex, they can do a corvette's rear window in one piece. dont know if that is considered groundbreaking but im just worried about the accessability to the back window as many have previously mentioned. do they really have to take apart the rear deck?
im not comfortable with it.
Yes, if you want the window tinted all the way without the brake light cut out they will have to take the rear deck apart. Its a tight space so it'd be hard for them to do otherwise.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Instructor

Those are perfect. That was exactly what I was looking for. In the world of tradeoffs, I think I can live with cutout now versus moving to another state with a better tint law ;-)

Thanks again for posting those pics. I really appreciate it.
Anytime. The only problem was remembering to upload the pictures. I currently have two jobs so I tend to get forgetful. I don't mind it but I want to go for the stealth look so I want the brake area covered as well when I get my tail lights and bottom reflectors tinted. I already have ACURA and TSX removed from the rear.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

man i should go yell at acura for the black rear deck!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuratsx2010
Yes, if you want the window tinted all the way without the brake light cut out they will have to take the rear deck apart. Its a tight space so it'd be hard for them to do otherwise.
that bothers me.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Racer

is there instructions anywhere for removing the rear shelf? if i need to take it out myself, or if the tinter isnt ure how too.

thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Self Aware

Sorry to hijack this thread....

I really want to tint my windows on my '09 TSX, can anyone here who lives near Southern Cali know of any great reliable tint shops?

Like...

1. Prices.

2. Duration of the tint job itself.

3. Will the shop cover the whole back window/brake light.

4. Warranty offered?

5. Also, I like a lite tint all around minus the front dash window, which % would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
california tint in rosemead. i heard it ranges from $110 - $125 for all 5 windows.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Self Aware

Originally Posted by defconskylude
california tint in rosemead. i heard it ranges from $110 - $125 for all 5 windows.
Did you have yours done there?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fceeviper
Did you have yours done there?
my windows arent tinted yet. i plan to go there sometime. it was recommended by others. just search in the so cal region section
Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Self Aware

my windows arent tinted yet. i plan to go there sometime. it was recommended by others. just search in the so cal region section
Thanks man.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fceeviper
Thanks man.
what city are you in?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Self Aware

what city are you in?
Montebello
Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ yeah def. go cali tint, i went with my friend to get his cl tinted in spring break, not bad.

haha defcon, when u gonna get urs tinted? im getting mine done in summer
Old 04-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ed_423
^ yeah def. go cali tint, i went with my friend to get his cl tinted in spring break, not bad.

haha defcon, when u gonna get urs tinted? im getting mine done in summer
not sure yet. id like to get it done within 3 months before my son is born.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Self Aware

Originally Posted by ed_423
not bad...
mmmmmmmh that doesn't sound to reassuring.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Gets bored easily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaineMDX
I know this is an old thread, but I've never seen that color....it's gorgeous!

I have a 2010 where my rear deck is black and if I understand correctly Acura switched from the light gray rear decks to all black for ebony interiors somewhere in the 2009 production cycle.
That's unfortunate for me, with a 09 and a grey deck

We'll see tomorrow if my shop doesn't have to remove the deck...
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Instructor

If the tinting place you went to said they can't do a whole back window tint then go somewhere else. I got mine tinted at a local tint shop I told them I want the whole rear window tinted no cut and they did a really good job

I got my rear windows tinted 15%. I'm still undecided on tinting the front because tint law here sucks

Quick Reply: Tinting the Rear Window