Tint type and %

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Tint type and %

Hey guys been wanting to get my new car tinted, I have a black on black 2012 TSX tech package. I have heard good things about the Llumar tint, that it is scratch resistant. I am looking at the Llumar CTX or the 3M color stable. Any recommends on the type. From my research on here, everyone talks about moleskin being needed for the windows, but I wanted a consensus if possible.

Also any recommends on the percentage? I was thinking 15 maybe 20 (I saw the 3m 20% on a black BMW and it looks great). But I am thinking 15 would look nice and dark. I live in FL and want some heat rejection and some dark windows to match the car but not limo. Plus I want my third brake light covered too, I just think it looks so much cleaner. Hoping the shop does not have to remove the whole back console to cover it. Tried searching for pics of black TSXs with knowing the darkness of the tint but cant find any that show the type and percentage with a black TSX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
i have 3m color stable 20% am happy.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Check your state's tint laws here. Remember that you have that tint night and day, rain or shine.

Ceramic tint can offer heat rejection in much lighter tint so a Huper Optik 60% gives better heat and UV protection than most conventional tint.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I have 3M ceramic at 35% (legal limit in PU). It looks darker in pictures than it really is but it does an excellent job reflecting heat and doesn't affect the nav system (as far as I can tell).
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I got Formula One Pinnacle Series Tint (Ceramic) I did 15% Rear, 30% Front.

Link to my thread

I would definitely check your local tint laws.

From when I was researching this is what I found:
Metallic Tint
- Metallics tints have had known issues of radio interference (especially for cars with antennas built into their glass) like our TSX
- Metallic tint can also effect keyless entry distances (but our TSX is not the greatest at this to begin with.

Ceramic Tint
- Ceramic tint will not have radio interference issues
- Colour does not fade with ceramic tints

The choices I had was between Huper Optik and Formula One for Ceramic. Huper was very expensive but people do swear by their quality.

Avoid at all costs dyed tint, I would question the installed on the type of tint they use, ask them if they use metallic tint for instance (if they are not educated on the subject they will probably agree right away, or legit say they do).

I like having 15% in the rears cause it gives extra privacy for the stuff I keep in the back. and 30% front is good enough for me to see out at night. But its all personal preference.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
you don't want to know how many bad guys have said "I broke in because they had to have something good in there - the windows were real dark."

Cops pull people over for the same reason.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
^^ couldnt agree more its a 50/50 chance they might get lucky . but if you have no tints or light enough to see in your good if theres nothing in sight to stal
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Check your state's tint laws here. Remember that you have that tint night and day, rain or shine.

Ceramic tint can offer heat rejection in much lighter tint so a Huper Optik 60% gives better heat and UV protection than most conventional tint.
Huper Optik is the way to go, imho. I've only used Huper Optik on all my cars in the past. We have pretty strict tint laws here and also I'm not interested in the gangsta look. Plus I want to see out of the car at night.

Be sure to find an authorized Huper Optik installer as it's a bit difficult to work with. It's also more expensive but as Ceb says it offers way better protection (and looks good, too.) It's an excellent product. Do it right the first time is always my motto.