Time for Acura Care - who has it and what is actually covered?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for Acura Care - who has it and what is actually covered?????

I am at 44100mi and I am inching closer to my 50K bumper to bumper.

I never got the acura care when I bought it (grossly under estimated my yearly mileage) and now I find that I should have gotten it.

So the question is where to get it. Obviously the dealers on here (I'll send them requests / or they can PM me).

I took my car into the dealer for service today and the advisor said that the speakers are not covered by acura care. That being said what exactly is covered. Does anybody have the legal mumbo jumbo that one can review to figure out what is actually covered.

I mean one could *try* and ask the dealer to replace all potential suspect speakers (doors / tweeters / rear parcel shelf) just to avoid issues but I am sure it would raise a flag on acura's database.

So what is covered and how much should I pay for the acura care (or should I not even bother). I am now averaging 25K/yr, so I'll need at least coverage to 100K or 125K.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a sample Acura application on the web *might not be a reseller on here, but this is just a sample with quick google search - YMMV*

http://www.curryacuracare.com/resour...pplication.pdf

Funny thing - in section IV the exclusions does not state speakers outright but it says

In subpart 'A' it says
" electronic / audio accessories, navigational and security and cellular telephones other than American Honda authorized electronic audio / navigational, dvd entertainment and securities systems."

further subpart 'C' it says "non factory or dealer installed speakers, radios, amplifers..."

Since its a factory system, it should be covered right?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The last time I checked the coverage (a couple years ago), it seemed pretty comprehensive to me, at least as far as extended warranties go. I think as long as the major stuff is covered, I wouldn't be too worried about speakers and such.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did anyone purchase the Acura Care extended warranty? If so, how many years and what did you pay? Also, does it include the money back guarantee where if you don't end up using the warranty by the end of the coverage, they will refund you 100% of what you paid for it?

I purchased it for 8 years/100k, so basically an additional 4 years/50k for $2,300.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
yea my dad bought the extended warranty of 7years/100k for like 2500, thinking that if he cancelled prior to using it(before the 4 year, 50k is up), he would get it all back. its actually prorated. so if you payed 2500, and you cancel it in 2 years, you lose 2/7ths of 2500, even though you never needed the extended warranty, so read carefully
Old 08-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PyroDave
yea my dad bought the extended warranty of 7years/100k for like 2500, thinking that if he cancelled prior to using it(before the 4 year, 50k is up), he would get it all back. its actually prorated. so if you payed 2500, and you cancel it in 2 years, you lose 2/7ths of 2500, even though you never needed the extended warranty, so read carefully
The dealer I purchased my car from offered their own "Money back guarantee" deal where if I didn't I didn't cancel my warranty and waited till the end of the warranty period and I didn't make any claims on the warranty, the dealer would give me the full $2,300 back. Acura Care gives you 60 days to cancel it and get your full refund back and I'm 30 days into it. I'm thinking about canceling it because I doubt I'll keep the car for 8 years and I've also thought about what would happen if the dealer went out of business within the next 8 years, then I will lose that money back guarantee IF I end up not having to use the warranty if I were to keep the car for 8 years...

Did anyone's dealer offer something like that, and did you purchase the extended warranty?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Some dealers will tell you that there are two types of Acura Care warranties, but there is only one type (prorated refund) and an add -on "insurance" to refund the entire cost of the warranty if not used.

The prorated Acura care at a discounted rate with no deductible (7yr 120k miles) is in the $1060 range) while the "fully refundable" version is about $1800.

If you keep your car past the initial warranty period then you'll most likely use the extended warranty, so the $1000 is well spent but the $1800 is not.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Instructor

I never believed in extended warranties until my last car, I bought a 6 year/100k for $900. At 89k, I had a $2300 repair bill and 3 weeks of rental car for which I paid a grand total of $400. I am thinking about the 6 year/120k warranty. If anything, it adds resale a little bit.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got screwed with the extended warranty with my Toyota Pick-up. About a month before my standard warranty expired, I took my truck in to get my keyless entry remote fixed/replaced because the remote just didn't work (even after replacing the battery). The service departments aid it was still covered, so I went in to get it replaced. When I got there, they didn't have any in stock, and said that an order was coming in "soon". I told them I wanted to be sure it was covered and replaced under my original warranty, and they assured me... Well what do you know.. about a month later, the part comes in, and they call me in to pick it up. I asked them again to be sure it was replaced under my original warranty, and they said it was...

Several years later, when my warranty was up, I asked my wife's cousin who now works for Toyota Service, to check on my refund... She checked on it, and my records showed that the keyless remote was replaced under my extended warranty which negated my refund, and since it was logged in after my original warranty expired, there was no way to dispute it (she tried checking with the manager and explained what happened, but they couldn't do it).

I doubt i'll get an extended warranty again, and if I do.. i'll be taking my car in for everything (my ac isn't cold enough, there's some squeaking and an odd noise, etc) and get my money's worth... In the 8+ years I had my truck, that was the only thing I took it in for (besides regular maintenance and a minor recall fix).
Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by cisobe
I got screwed with the extended warranty with my Toyota Pick-up. About a month before my standard warranty expired, I took my truck in to get my keyless entry remote fixed/replaced because the remote just didn't work (even after replacing the battery). The service departments aid it was still covered, so I went in to get it replaced. When I got there, they didn't have any in stock, and said that an order was coming in "soon". I told them I wanted to be sure it was covered and replaced under my original warranty, and they assured me... Well what do you know.. about a month later, the part comes in, and they call me in to pick it up. I asked them again to be sure it was replaced under my original warranty, and they said it was...

Several years later, when my warranty was up, I asked my wife's cousin who now works for Toyota Service, to check on my refund... She checked on it, and my records showed that the keyless remote was replaced under my extended warranty which negated my refund, and since it was logged in after my original warranty expired, there was no way to dispute it (she tried checking with the manager and explained what happened, but they couldn't do it).

I doubt i'll get an extended warranty again, and if I do.. i'll be taking my car in for everything (my ac isn't cold enough, there's some squeaking and an odd noise, etc) and get my money's worth... In the 8+ years I had my truck, that was the only thing I took it in for (besides regular maintenance and a minor recall fix).
That wasn't the fault of the extended warranty. It was the fault of your idiot Toyota dealer.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Quick question: So you can still buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer as long as you're still within the limits of your original warranty? Ex: 4yr/50K miles, your Acura has 30K miles on it. The reason why im asking is, because somewhere in the 4G TL forum awhile back, I believe it was mentioned you can still add the ext warranty but before 6K miles after you purchased the car...???
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Quick question: So you can still buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer as long as you're still within the limits of your original warranty? Ex: 4yr/50K miles, your Acura has 30K miles on it. The reason why im asking is, because somewhere in the 4G TL forum awhile back, I believe it was mentioned you can still add the ext warranty but before 6K miles after you purchased the car...???

Yes, correct.

"If your Acura has less than 50,000 miles and is a 2007 or newer you can qualify for an Acura Care service contract! The only factory backed coverage available! You can have peace of mind and you can protect your investment with Acura Care- the only extended caverage backed by the strength and stability of American Honda. Comprehensive vehicle and travel protection is available for protection beyond the original Acura warranty!"

http://www.curryacuracare.com/index.cfm