Thoughts on recent 1600 mile Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thoughts on recent 1600 mile Trip

I know there have been similar posts before but I wanted to share my thoughts on a long trip this past Labor Day weekend. Our car is a 2010 Base 4-cylinder TSX with the 5-spd auto tranny.

Distance Driving - After the 700 mile one way trip my back actually felt better after 12 hrs in the TSX then it does after 4 hours in my daily (2008 GMC Sierra 4x4). The suspension did a great job on some less then perfect roads from Va to Michigan on absorbing the bumps, road noise was fairly high at some points. The interior had plenty of room we had 3 total passengers and I even logged about 3 hours in the back seat which was plenty of room for me. Total mileage from the trip was 1600 which bumped the total mileage on the car to about 6200 miles.

Engine + Tranny - With all the weight of the passengers and our luggage you could definately feel it wasn't as quick as it is with only 1 or 2 people in the car. Although I was impressed that the 2.4 liter engine could power up some grades without downshifting and held most of the trip at 2500 rpm at 75mph. I used to own a 1990 prelude that would have tacked at about 4k at that speed. I was impressed with the fuel economy which ended up being 32.4 (according to the display which is known to be slightly optimistic). Watching this car's fuel economy numbers you can easily tell that 55-60mph is the sweet spot for mpg, I was at 36mpg for the first 80 miles while at that speed. But as speeds rose to 75-80 the average fell to 33ish.

I debated bringing an extra quart of 5w-20 in case the car burned any but at 4500 miles when we started the trip it was right at the full line and when we finished the trip at 6200 is was at the EXACT same mark. This car is amazing, with the factory fill of 5w-20 after over 6,000 miles it has not dropped off of the full line. That engine does live an easy life with my wife driving mostly but it has seen several 6k+ runs after break-in, so I am amazed that the oil mark hasn't budged. The oil life percentage is 40% so I'll probably bring it in around 8,000 miles for it's first service. I've always been a fan of Honda engines from the bulletproof f22 in 1990-97 accords, B-series engines, hell even the D16 civics but the K-series engines have to be the best. I plan on seeing 300,000+ on this car and am looking forward to many more road trips.

One of the best stops on the trip was at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan (Car and Driver tests cars there frequently). I watched a yellow NSX and modified black S2000 battle around the track. The S2000 has always been my "realistic" dream car. I thought about signing the waiver and taking the TSX out there but I think it would have been a little out of it's league...

Hope this review is helpful and I'd like to know if anyone else finds this engine to hold it's oil level so steady after that many break-in miles.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
nice write-up. I am planning on replacing my 06 tsx next June. We have been on 3 cross country trips and numerous trips from NC to NJ and back. Happy to say it has never burned any oil.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Didn't lose a drop of oil after the first 8300 miles.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Nice to know these engines don't seem to be oil users, even during the break-in period. I guess I'm used to checking the oil level every thousand miles from my previous rides (1991 and 1996 Accord, a 1990 prelude which loved oil due to its B21A1 engine).

I guess I can stop popping the hood every month to see if the oil level has moved. After my first oil change which is free I plan on switching to Mobil1 5w-20 and continuing to go by the maintenance minder system.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I completely agree on the Accord engines being bulletproof, I completely disagree on the civic engines. I had a 05 serviced religiously and blew a head gasket at all of 80,000 miles. Checked online and found it's not all that uncommon.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HokieAcura
I know there have been similar posts before but I wanted to share my thoughts on a long trip this past Labor Day weekend. Our car is a 2010 Base 4-cylinder TSX with the 5-spd auto tranny.

Distance Driving - After the 700 mile one way trip my back actually felt better after 12 hrs in the TSX then it does after 4 hours in my daily (2008 GMC Sierra 4x4). The suspension did a great job on some less then perfect roads from Va to Michigan on absorbing the bumps, road noise was fairly high at some points. The interior had plenty of room we had 3 total passengers and I even logged about 3 hours in the back seat which was plenty of room for me. Total mileage from the trip was 1600 which bumped the total mileage on the car to about 6200 miles.

Engine + Tranny - With all the weight of the passengers and our luggage you could definately feel it wasn't as quick as it is with only 1 or 2 people in the car. Although I was impressed that the 2.4 liter engine could power up some grades without downshifting and held most of the trip at 2500 rpm at 75mph. I used to own a 1990 prelude that would have tacked at about 4k at that speed. I was impressed with the fuel economy which ended up being 32.4 (according to the display which is known to be slightly optimistic). Watching this car's fuel economy numbers you can easily tell that 55-60mph is the sweet spot for mpg, I was at 36mpg for the first 80 miles while at that speed. But as speeds rose to 75-80 the average fell to 33ish.

I debated bringing an extra quart of 5w-20 in case the car burned any but at 4500 miles when we started the trip it was right at the full line and when we finished the trip at 6200 is was at the EXACT same mark. This car is amazing, with the factory fill of 5w-20 after over 6,000 miles it has not dropped off of the full line. That engine does live an easy life with my wife driving mostly but it has seen several 6k+ runs after break-in, so I am amazed that the oil mark hasn't budged. The oil life percentage is 40% so I'll probably bring it in around 8,000 miles for it's first service. I've always been a fan of Honda engines from the bulletproof f22 in 1990-97 accords, B-series engines, hell even the D16 civics but the K-series engines have to be the best. I plan on seeing 300,000+ on this car and am looking forward to many more road trips.

One of the best stops on the trip was at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan (Car and Driver tests cars there frequently). I watched a yellow NSX and modified black S2000 battle around the track. The S2000 has always been my "realistic" dream car. I thought about signing the waiver and taking the TSX out there but I think it would have been a little out of it's league...

Hope this review is helpful and I'd like to know if anyone else finds this engine to hold it's oil level so steady after that many break-in miles.
Why would you worry about a newer car burning oil?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Substitue "burning" with "using", I have read where it is not uncommon for new cars to use a small amount of oil before the first change. I'm not saying I expected the car to drink oil from the begining, but rather I figured it would at least drop a measureable amount after over 6,000 miles.

This is my first K-series so needless to say I'm a believer. I just wish Honda/Acura would have been able to reliably bump horsepower to 220-230 out of the 2.4 after 7+ years of it being at 200.