Thinking about buying a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a TSX

Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for a few months now and i love all the info i am able to get about the car on this site.
My current lease is going to run out in Feb of 2011 and i am considering an 11 w/ tech pkg. I like alot of you are waiting for acura to release the rest of the details and price of the 11.

My last 2 cars were a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with compG and a 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP. Both cars were fun to drive and both around 255 to 260 hp. While i liked they were unreliable at times and the same parts were break on both cars (warped brake rotors, bad intermediate steering shafts).

My wife owns a 2007 honda civic with nav and the car has never been in the shop for warranty issues. This is 1 of the main reasons we are looking in the honda family of cars.

one of my questions for people who came from v6 cars would be how is adjusting for the 200hp 4 go? I am now 32 and i think i am past the need for a big get up and go but would like some input on that.

Also, i live in Mahwah, NJ and if anyone purchased a car from the area (Ramsey Acura or Park Ave Acura in Maywood) please let me know your dealership experiences and if you have a salesman to contact who treated you well.

thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went from a G35 sedan to the TSX. Going from the V6 to the 4 cyl. was an adjustment, but once I saw how much money I was saving in fuel costs I didn't really care. Every once in a while I think to myself how I miss that extra power, but the thought doesn't last long. I'm perfectly happy with my decision to get this car.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went also from V6 to 4 cyl and I don't like it. In fact, my next car will be probably V8. I simply cannot live without that V6+ noise and feel. For me, it is worth of worse fuel economy. But thats only my opinion, of course.

EDIT: and BTW, TSX has not any mind-blowing fuel economy. I would say average...

Last edited by HHCZ; 08-20-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by nbaresejr
Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for a few months now and i love all the info i am able to get about the car on this site.
My current lease is going to run out in Feb of 2011 and i am considering an 11 w/ tech pkg. I like alot of you are waiting for acura to release the rest of the details and price of the 11.

My last 2 cars were a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with compG and a 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP. Both cars were fun to drive and both around 255 to 260 hp. While i liked they were unreliable at times and the same parts were break on both cars (warped brake rotors, bad intermediate steering shafts).

My wife owns a 2007 honda civic with nav and the car has never been in the shop for warranty issues. This is 1 of the main reasons we are looking in the honda family of cars.

one of my questions for people who came from v6 cars would be how is adjusting for the 200hp 4 go? I am now 32 and i think i am past the need for a big get up and go but would like some input on that.

Also, i live in Mahwah, NJ and if anyone purchased a car from the area (Ramsey Acura or Park Ave Acura in Maywood) please let me know your dealership experiences and if you have a salesman to contact who treated you well.

thanks.
the TSX is a nice car, and a 4 cylinder non-tech can be had for about $26k + TTL, which is a good deal.

however, in terms of reliability, the 2nd gen TSX has not been without its share of problems. those with the tech package have been burned with multiple speaker blowouts. thousands of people had brake problems (including me) and had to get them replaced. i have a crappy click coming from the B-pillar which i will have to fix myself by removing the interior pieces.

i'm sure there are other things that i'm missing, but the fact of the matter is, most cars out there today are fairly well built, but all manufacturers will still have some problems. people absolutely base their opinions on firsthand experiences, so someone with a problem-free VW Jetta is likely to say that VW has its quality under control and that it is awesome german engineering, etc. while others with problems will swear off VW forever and go japanese.

it's a crap shoot. american cars these days are much better built, and very reliable. they are, however, ugly as sin, and their interiors still stink, but that's just my opinion
Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by HHCZ
I went also from V6 to 4 cyl and I don't like it. In fact, my next car will be probably V8. I simply cannot live without that V6+ noise and feel. For me, it is worth of worse fuel economy. But thats only my opinion, of course.

EDIT: and BTW, TSX has not any mind-blowing fuel economy. I would say average...
it really depends on how you drive. i average 31 mpg on the highway going 75-80 mph, and about 26-27 mpg in 50/50 driving. those numbers are pretty good for a 3400 lb sedan. you probably hammer the throttle more often than some people, since you're coming from a V6 and probably like going fast and getting pushed back into your seat, so your fuel economy is not as good. i myself do like to take it up to the fuel cutoff at ~7200 RPM at least once a day (on-ramps or whatnot) and i still get great gas mileage.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Racer

I had 300hp before and I've been happy with my 4. I'd rather have the gas mileage than the power, although I do miss the power and sound sometimes. I just didn't feel justified about having all that power since I rarely ever used it, but paid at the pump every single time. I think it's just a personal choice and everyone is probably different.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

I have driven a friends 1st gen tsx and it seemed to have good power.

going from my current car to driving my wife's civic is a big big difference and it sometimes makes it difficult to merge onto highways. I dont think i can have a car like that as an everyday driver. Im going to have to test drive 1 and see how it gets up to speed on highways.

I love the look of the TSX. Its pretty much at the top of my price range with the 33k MSRP with tech. Other cars i would consider right now are the honda accord (v6 w/ nav) and the Nissan Altima 3.5 SR (every option) know nothing about its reliability.
Whatever i get it must have NAV and prefer to have HID. Any suggestions in that price range? Also what were you guys looking at when buying the TSX and what made you finally decide to get i?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
my mom owns a 08 honda accord ex-V6, bought new 3/08. It has about 19,000 miles. The transmission had to be replaced after it locked up. I own a 06 6MT tsx. The foglights cracked within the 1st 6 months. Replaced by the dealer free as a one-time goodwill. The driver's seat heating element was replaced and also the battery under warranty. I never had a problem with them but the dealer did it anyway. My tsx now has 110,000 miles. We also have a 2011 6MT hyundai sonata-very impressed with it-very well built car. Oh one more thing-owned a 05 civic-sold it-one problem after another.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you really want the V6, then you might consider a CPO V6 TSX.

You mentioned driving your wife's Civic sometimes - IMO the TSX is not really comparable regarding power. I couldn't deal with a Civic either, just too little power. My parents have an 08 Civic and it's pretty slow. The TSX is definitely not that bad, but you should test drive to get a better idea. I would also test drive the V6 to see if that might be what you want.

I also went from a V6 to my 1G TSX. However, I think my TSX actually had more power, it just felt different because of the gearing, drive by wire, etc. When I got used to it, I liked it much better.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
I've done the big h/p cars and one of them was a modded '91 Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth. Not a great car. But when it ran well it flew. I sometime miss the awe-inspiring feeling of real acceleration but I still love walking up to my car and getting in feeling like its the first time I've sat in it each time and admiring the lines and the overall build quality. Yeah, I had some issues with it so far as well. Thought for a minute I might get rid of it but I decided I was being a bit naive and somewhat arrogant. This is a fantastic car. And it is still fun to drive despite the power loss. So if your goal is fuel economy then join the club. If you want power, go with the SH-AWD TL or get the V6 TSX. Either way you win in some fashion or another.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:23 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
sadly, i have only driven 4 bangers, no v6 or anyhting higher but anyways, the first car i drove was my mom's civic. and hell that thing was so slow...flooring it going up hill takes forever to just get to 40..but the tsx def. has more power than the civic. so go test drive it

and +1 on thiking about the v6 (unelss u have to have a manual) the mpg on that isnt all that bad either
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

one thing thats a plus on the 4 cyl is its chain-driven, you wont have to worry about replacing it whereas timing belts every 7 years or so. That with pretty good fuel economy were the reasons I got mine. Its give and take and what your priorities are.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by nbaresejr
I have driven a friends 1st gen tsx and it seemed to have good power.

going from my current car to driving my wife's civic is a big big difference and it sometimes makes it difficult to merge onto highways. I dont think i can have a car like that as an everyday driver. Im going to have to test drive 1 and see how it gets up to speed on highways.

I love the look of the TSX. Its pretty much at the top of my price range with the 33k MSRP with tech. Other cars i would consider right now are the honda accord (v6 w/ nav) and the Nissan Altima 3.5 SR (every option) know nothing about its reliability.
Whatever i get it must have NAV and prefer to have HID. Any suggestions in that price range? Also what were you guys looking at when buying the TSX and what made you finally decide to get i?
I came from a 2006 Civic to my TSX and yes, the TSX feels a heck of a lot more powerful (but my Civic did handle like a go-kart, with the 17" wheels I had put on). I average around 32.5-33mpg commuting to and from work each week (40 mile drive, one way), while my Civic would get 34-35mpg in the same commute. I have never felt I did not have enough power when driving my TSX when passing, merging, etc.

I was looking at the BMW 128i, Lexus IS250, Mercedes C300 and Honda Accord. None of the luxury marques could even come close to the standard features offered by the TSX for the price (all were $5000-8000 more expensive ). The Honda Accord was just too damn big for me when compared to the TSX and I really preferred a luxury brand. Well after weeks of shopping and dealing, I ended up with the TSX and have been happy ever since (7500 miles, no problems so far) .
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My previous one was Accord 2003 LX V6, which had 240hp. Honestly, compare to the TSX 2010 I4 I have now, there is huge different. Do I miss the feel of V6, yes, absolutely. Do I regret? No, I don't. Before buying this TSX, I did expect a lot less from the I4. There are trade-off, strong/powerful/22mpg vs. less strong/a lot less powerful/27mpg. Make a decision from there.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pinatubo;12280489[B
]My previous one was Accord 2003 LX V6, which had 240hp...........There are trade-off, strong/powerful/22mpg vs. less strong/a lot less powerful/27mpg...[/B]...................
Very informative/tuned-in thread.........

Fresca reports 31 HWY; 26-27 50/50..........

Is that what most folks are averaging?

ez......
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pure highway I am over 31 (32-33). With my 50/50 mix I average right about 29 and as I head in to more city than highway I drop down to about 25 minimum.

In my 4300 miles so far (lol).

If I really try to drive for economy I can improve the city numbers a bit.

I have had V6, V8, I4 turbo's, and a diesel in my lifetime and though the power/torque of the Acura I4 doesn't compare with all of those. I am now older and wiser and more environmentally conscious and thus the fuel mileage is a nice trade-off. I cannot believe these numbers for not being direct injected on some other new technologies in a 3400 lb car. Amazing.

If you cannot do without the power, buy the V6. But if you can stick with the I4 your wallet and the environment will appreciate the effort.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
I went from a G35 sedan to the TSX. Going from the V6 to the 4 cyl. was an adjustment, but once I saw how much money I was saving in fuel costs I didn't really care. Every once in a while I think to myself how I miss that extra power, but the thought doesn't last long. I'm perfectly happy with my decision to get this car.
+1. Went from a 350z auto to a 330i auto (lease assumption for 9 months) and while the power is significantly less, the gas savings is astronomical. We're talking super low maintenance vehicle!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

I am pretty sure i am going to get the base w/tech provided my wallet can afford it. As the time gets closer we will drive 1 and make a decision.

what kind of deals do you think they will have around the new year?