Test drove the 09 TSX AT with Tech today and surprised

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove the 09 TSX AT with Tech today and surprised

My gf and I went over to McGrath Acura, and a saleslady let us test drive the 09 TSX. I was going into the dealer thinking that I would hate the new look and thought my gf would run away too. The 09 TSX they had on display in the showroom was the Blue color and I instantly saw the new grill. At first I thought it was weird, but I kind of warmed up to it after a few glances surprisingly!

What more of a shock was my gf likes the new design! She loves the grill and thinks it makes the new TSX stand out and look more aggressive she says! I was like She said that the old TSX just looks nice, but looks more like a bachelor car than the new TSX, which looks more family/luxury.

Glad to see that the TSX is still 100% Made in Japan still. I looked around the new TSX and I do like the new side profile and basically the new TSX is huge compared to the old TSX next to it in the showroom. I was just disappointed that the navi is still dvd based and the trunk isn't much bigger than the old one.

On the test drive I was thinking that it would still be sluggish and like a dog, but the pickup is much better on the new TSX than my 04. The added torque does help. The gauges are nicer too. I didn't like the shifter though cause there is no more chance to shift on the gearshift, just the paddles which to me I'm not a fan of. The interior is much bigger and wider than the old one. She liked the pickup of the car too.

After this we test drove an 08 Maxima, cause my gf likes those too, but after driving the Maxima she didn't think it was as refined as the new TSX. She wants to buy the new TSX possibly, but she'll wait for the 09 Maxima to come out with the new bodystyle and then she'll decide.

We also test drove the 08 Outlander, because I like the Outlander and the Infiniti G35x. I love the G35x!! Pickup and interior in that is nice like the TSX, but it's too expensive. Hope that Infiniti comes out with a G25 or something to compete with the TSX and A4 2.0.

All in all, the 2009 TSX isn't as bad as I thought it was. Give it a chance guys.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife says she likes the looks of the '09 TSX as well.
We too also checked out a G35.

After checking out the G35, it was no contest though.
She'll be buying the G35.

The '09 TSX does have potential.

With some fairly heavy exterior modifications (Suspension, Bumpers, Grille, Rims)
it has a chance to look good. And if someone goes nuts on it, I could possibly
even look great.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
My wife says she likes the looks of the '09 TSX as well.
We too also checked out a G35.

After checking out the G35, it was no contest though.
She'll be buying the G35.

The '09 TSX does have potential.

With some fairly heavy exterior modifications (Suspension, Bumpers, Grille, Rims)
it has a chance to look good. And if someone goes nuts on it, I could possibly
even look great.
i got to convince the gf/possible future wife that our garage needs either a G35x/09 Maxima/09 TSX and an 09 Outlander.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by Mokos23
i got to convince the gf/possible future wife that our garage needs either a G35x/09 Maxima/09 TSX and an 09 Outlander.
I bought my TSX myself. So that was easy for me to convince her on.
But I couldn't convince her to buy a G35 for herself.
She was stuck on a used TSX or a used TL.

I had to agree to pay for 1/2 of the G35 in order for us to purchase it.
But I'll have half ownership of it, so I'll feel free to mod away on that one too.
The wife says she likes some of Volk's rims... good girl.

Good luck on the convincing.
Try not to settle for second best.
Go for the win, be happy in the long run. Not just content, ... happy.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

I test drove an '09 TSX with automatic yesterday. I liked it overall. I think that the ride was better than my '04 but I was not crazy about the feel of the steering; not as tight. The seat felt a bit more comfortable. I have not seen any comments on the forum, but I think the rear visibility could be a problem.

I like the looks and it is definitely an upgrade in luxury over the 1st generation.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by spotcheckwilly
I test drove an '09 TSX with automatic yesterday. I liked it overall. I think that the ride was better than my '04 but I was not crazy about the feel of the steering; not as tight. The seat felt a bit more comfortable. I have not seen any comments on the forum, but I think the rear visibility could be a problem.

I like the looks and it is definitely an upgrade in luxury over the 1st generation.
I agree with all your points.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by spotcheckwilly

I mentioned the rear visibility in one of my comments somewhere.
My wife really had a problem with that.
The front visibility is improved, the rear is worse, in our opinion.
And the extra headrest doesn't help that part of the design out much either.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Race Director

the one thing i forgot to try is the turn radius. is it much better in the 09 TSX? the turn radius is only bad thing about the 1st gen TSX.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 PM
TSX Lover

the one thing i forgot to try is the turn radius. is it much better in the 09 TSX? the turn radius is only bad thing about the 1st gen TSX.
40' turning circle is the same as 1st gen.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by prballard
what? that was the only embarrassing thing i told my gf whenever i have to park in an end spot i have to redo it twice cause of the bad turn radius of the 04 TSX. It's easier parking my mom's MDX than my small TSX. gosh that sucks they didn't improve on the radius.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by prballard
Neither the 1st or the 2nd gen TSX have a 40' turning diameter. Maybe you're thinking of the TL (39.7')?

1st Gen: 38.1'
2nd Gen: 36.7'

Combined with the slightly quicker steering ratio (2.61 turns lock to lock versus the 1st-gen's 2.7 turns), and the new TSX should be quite a bit easier to park and make U-Turns.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Neither the 1st or the 2nd gen TSX have a 40' turning diameter. Maybe you're thinking of the TL (39.7')?

1st Gen: 38.1'
2nd Gen: 36.7'

Combined with the slightly quicker steering ratio (2.61 turns lock to lock versus the 1st-gen's 2.7 turns), and the new TSX should be quite a bit easier to park and make U-Turns.
It depends on where you get your numbers. Acura.com has 36.7' while hondanews.com has 40'.

I do seem to recall the 38.1' now that you mention it. MSN auto's had 40' for the 1st gen.

BTW - I hope your right.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Pro

I can personally attest to the fact that it's not 40' having made a shart u-turn during my test drive (new TSX). FWIW, my figures come directly from the 2008 & 2009 TSX brochures and were confirmed on www.acura.com.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by jwaters943
I can personally attest to the fact that it's not 40' having made a shart u-turn during my test drive (new TSX). FWIW, my figures come directly from the 2008 & 2009 TSX brochures and were confirmed on www.acura.com.
Ever other place I had found 40' for the 1st gen (not 38.1'). I can't find that number anywhere.

As for the 2nd gen, again I hope you are right.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I should think the rear center headrest comes out like the side ones. I sometimes pull those out and "trunk 'em" as the right one interferes with my daughter's Britax full-back booster seat (Parkway).

Frankly, I don't see the need for the center headrest. Sure, there're seat belts there, but who actually SITS in the center? Anyone that could fit probably can't reach the headrest, i.e. a child. It's just so much more leather IMHO.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I should think the rear center headrest comes out like the side ones. I sometimes pull those out and "trunk 'em" as the right one interferes with my daughter's Britax full-back booster seat (Parkway).

Frankly, I don't see the need for the center headrest. Sure, there're seat belts there, but who actually SITS in the center? Anyone that could fit probably can't reach the headrest, i.e. a child. It's just so much more leather IMHO.
The center headrest is not as high as the other two and for most drivers it shouldn't be above the center brake light when they look in the rear view mirror. That is what I noticed at least on my test drives.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Race Director

the car that i'm digging on the 09 TSX is the grigo metallic with an ebony interior. not sure what the maroon color is called, but that is what my gf wants if she got a new TSX with also an ebony interior. you guys think the maroon color is nice?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
the car that i'm digging on the 09 TSX is the grigo metallic with an ebony interior. not sure what the maroon color is called, but that is what my gf wants if she got a new TSX with also an ebony interior. you guys think the maroon color is nice?
So far, I like the maroon color (basque red pearl). I think it looks hot on the picture posted in the other thread. Basque red/ebony would be one of my choices, as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
TSX Lover

The Grigio looks great at dusk. Has a nice amber color.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Race Director

forgot to mention during the middle of my test drive i floored it and the response was there on the highway went from 40 to 70 it felt quicker than my 04.

then when we did a pit stop and pulled into this condo complex because we had to switch drivers so that my gf could try the car, an old couple was right in front walking their dog. i'll never forgot the reaction on their faces when they looked at the grill, it was like either a shocked or surprising look on their faces. they were either confused or amazed at the new acura look.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
TSX Lover

then when we did a pit stop and pulled into this condo complex because we had to switch drivers so that my gf could try the car, an old couple was right in front walking their dog. i'll never forgot the reaction on their faces when they looked at the grill, it was like either a shocked or surprising look on their faces. they were either confused or amazed at the new acura look.
That is why part of me just wants to get a black 09. Seeing it would say "here it is, like or not".
Old 04-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Fortune favors the bold...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Instructor

I just saw the 09 in person this morning. Love it but not "the element".
Before I see it in person, I keep thinking it's too big. It's not that bad when I meet it.
Love the extra features compare to my 04. Bluetooth audio streaming is great. Happy to see it. It'll be great if Acura import more tech goodies from Japan.

You'll see the good stuffs when you get on it.
So, here are my complains.
For the ELS sound unit, it takes up the storage and I miss it. That unit will be more usable for me if it plays DVD video instead of just DVD-audio.
Lamber support is better than my 04 but still not enough.
Being in CA, I am happier to see cooled seats than heated seats. There are place for drink cooler too. Please work on it Honda.
More leather, less cheap plastic.
I don't like the new AC temp. buttons. The old ones are better.
A bigger/ full view sunroof. Cheaper car like Scion tC and C230 coupe get one, why not put one on TSX. Work on it, Acura.

There is potential in TSX. I think it'll become a better car when Acura starts to spread to the world.
Seriously, I start to save money now for the Mid-cycle change model.

Hope Acura will provide this as an option in future. The "keyless"
http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCORD/equipment/index.html
Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
So far, I like the maroon color (basque red pearl). I think it looks hot on the picture posted in the other thread. Basque red/ebony would be one of my choices, as well.
I got to check out a Basque red auto and a black 6mt last night. The red is much darker in real life than it appeared on the color swatches they sent out. It seemed to me to be almost the same as the dark cherry on a MDX.

The shift mechanism on the auto looked kinda civic to me. No problems with the 6MT though. Gotta go back next week to get one out for a spin. Too bad for me that I'm not in the market for a car or I would seriously consider the 09 TSX.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Race Director

i drove by a local acura dealer and looked at the 09 TSX again, i'm liking it more and more. i hope the V6 engine can come in soon enough. the size of the 09 TSX reminded me of the size of my old 99 Accord sedan (6th gen). what do you think?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Banned

I also stopped by a dealer tonight and got a close look at the '09. The two things that struck me was that the rear of the car looks bloated and overweight compared to the old model, and that the chrome grill doesn't look so good in person because of the difference in color, luster and material of the the shield versus the frame piece and the way that the shield's A emblem looks like it was forced into place with a hammer.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 AM
TSX Lover

i drove by a local acura dealer and looked at the 09 TSX again, i'm liking it more and more. i hope the V6 engine can come in soon enough. the size of the 09 TSX reminded me of the size of my old 99 Accord sedan (6th gen). what do you think?
The 6th gen Accord is slightly longer, bigger wheelbase, and leg room, but actually I think it compares very well in terms of size. My sister-in-law has one and of any Honda/Acura vehicles I think it is most like the 09 TSX in terms of size.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by human668
... So, here are my complains. [sic]
Here are my complains ... people, please spell check and grammar check a bit. Please?

I noticed in the owners manual that there's a "driver's pocket" below the left outboard air vent, just like the one I had in my 1982 Accord, oddly. Would someone take a look or post a pic? Is it useful? And for what?

I also noticed that the two-part armrest storage (shallow tray up top with pass-through hole for cords, deeper storage below with pass-through slot for cords to reach cup holders) is out and a single storage armrest is in. Pity.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
TSX Lover

I noticed in the owners manual that there's a "driver's pocket" below the left outboard air vent, just like the one I had in my 1982 Accord, oddly. Would someone take a look or post a pic? Is it useful? And for what?

I also noticed that the two-part armrest storage (shallow tray up top with pass-through hole for cords, deeper storage below with pass-through slot for cords to reach cup holders) is out and a single storage armrest is in. Pity.
For good or bad this time around they more closely copied the EuroAccord interior than they did on the 1G TSX.

I think those pockets are on both side of the center console, if I am thinking of the same pockets. Someone has posted pics of them here, but I don't remember where. I also believe the have felt, at least on the bottom.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Check the manual (p. 159, Interior Convenience Items).

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM
TSX Lover

Check the manual (p. 159, Interior Convenience Items).

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that when seeing the car in person. Must be small.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Yeah, they kinda sit there looking a bit like a fuse box cover...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Appears to be about the same size as the "not an ashtray." Good for lip balm, sunglass cloth, toll coins (we lost the coin-keeper in the armrest, right Colin?), gf's undewear . I use my center console storage for work cardkey, phone (wired) headseat, sunglasses (2nd pair), notebook and Fisher space pen. A compartment that holds some of those would be handy.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Race Director

Appears to be about the same size as the "not an ashtray." Good for lip balm, sunglass cloth, toll coins (we lost the coin-keeper in the armrest, right Colin?), gf's undewear . I use my center console storage for work cardkey, phone (wired) headseat, sunglasses (2nd pair), notebook and Fisher space pen. A compartment that holds some of those would be handy.
you forgot condoms
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

I think want bothers me the most about the look of it after getting past the grill is how the door's beltline angles down as if to come to a point, like the nose of a fighter jet, or like the 1G TSX, but instead the belt line dips into and is abruptly cut off by a large muzzle front end. It's like they took the from end of a giant luxury car and haphazardly tacked it onto the old TSX.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 PM

you forgot condoms
You put those where the wife or gf won't think to look, you ninny, what're you THINKING? Interior fuse box ... under the steering wheel adjustment lever ... places like that.

(kidding, of course)

Oh ... HOW could I FORGET, living in the South. Would someone check if your Skoal tin will fit in there?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Yup no second level in the center console, but there are two levels in the glove box. Maybe dump the manual and use this?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 PM

The "tray" in the armrest is where I put my phone, pda, or mp3 player to charge or play. I'm sure the '09 armrest is just as useful, but ... found the bi-level armrest a very neat idea. (I'm easily impressed ... I haven't driven many newish cars in the last 10 years.)

Glove box shelf is a great idea, particularly that you can remove it for personal preference.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Instructor

With respect to the limited rear view, i've noticed that more and more cars have a smaller viewing area on the back. It took a while to get adjusted to my mom's new camry because the slope was so gradual that I felt like I was looking through a tiny window. How bad is it for the TSX?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
With respect to the limited rear view, i've noticed that more and more cars have a smaller viewing area on the back. It took a while to get adjusted to my mom's new camry because the slope was so gradual that I felt like I was looking through a tiny window. How bad is it for the TSX?
I didn't find it to be an issue. I had a Dodge Magnum as a rental car once. The 09 TSX back glass is at least twice the size of the Magnum. The rear pillars seem to get in the way a little more than my 04, but not a big difference. The center head is so small that is actually is well below the center brake light in most drivers line of sight.

The best way to decide is to just take a test drive.