Is the Technology Package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Technology Package worth it?

Hello,

I'm new here but in my recent search for a new car, I have really taken a shine to the 2011 TSX.

My one indecisive decision right now is whether to spring the extra $3,100 for the Tech Package.

To be honest, the features I would mostly use out of that are the backup camera and the song by voice (if it works with my phone).

The navigation unit will only get used when I am in an area I don't know which will be once every few months at most.

Does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the stock 7 speakers and the ELS 10 speakers that come with the Tech Pack?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 06-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
yes, it is absolutely, unequivocally, without question, a worthwhile purchase. The tech package adds a ton of character to the TSX and really sets it apart from the bunch. Its a great value for the money and dont listen to anyone who will tell you otherwise.

You are already paying 30 thousand dollars for a fantastic car, why cheap out now and do it half-assed?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Cruisin'

I just feel like I might not be using its full potential for what I will be paying for.

It would just be like a very nice hood ornament that I looked at once when installing and then never again.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Absolutely worth it.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The song by voice is cool, but also it displays the song information on the navigation screen, where the base model displays part of the song title. I wish I'd gotten the navigation option in my 2010, but I hear the 2011 nav system is much better.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input

I'm also thinking if I should get a clear bra or Acura's film protection plan that is $400 cheaper than the M3 clear bar. Thoughts?

I want to not have any paint chips and stuff on the paint
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I did the 3M clearmask, i'm quite happy with it.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i dont have the tech package, sometimes i wish i have it. sometimes i dont mind so much, i think if you dont think you are going to use all of the features, then maybe you can save 3k
Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Speaking as someone who didn't want the Tech package per se, now that we have it, we love it.

We were content with a base model, but stumbled upon the Tech that we now own. The iPod integration is lovely. I appreciate being able to scroll ahead when on shuffle to pick songs from the playlist. My wife has grown fond of the backup cam in just 2 days. She was shocked at how close she could "comfortably" get to another car while parking without contacting that other car.
I like the ELS system...my wife would probably not know the difference. I played with it a little the first day we had it, and it was nice to balance out all the speakers so that the center channel matched everything else. It's very crisp, somewhat punchy, and overall very nice.

I would say go for the Tech.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Definitely get the Tech... with these summer storms it's nice to see the weather when you are out... gives you time to duck for cover and avoid hail damage.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
If you can go for it, you only live once.

Don't have it on mines but I wouldn't mind giving it a try
Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth it, especially if you are buying and not leasing. You don't want to start wishing you had those features 3-4 years down the road where you would have to eat the depreciation if you sell to get a car that has them.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Worth it only if you use it. I couldn't justify the expense since I don't drive my TSX a great deal. Tech package significantly helps resale value too.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
I think its worth it if you want it. I had the tech package on my last MDX and on my mom's 2009 TL and I knew it was something I could live without. If tech stuff is what you're into then it really is great. All I really needed though is a USB plug and decent sound system.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I did the 3M clearmask, i'm quite happy with it.
I agree with Ken on the clearmask. Get it done cheaply at an authorized car shop and save some money for that tech package.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Tech package well worth it. First new car I ever bought was a 94 Accord. Figuring I'd keep it a good long time, I ponied up for the loaded EX with leather. My daughter has it with almost 300k on it now.

If rock chips bother you then get the clear bra. Avery Dennison has a film called Nano Fusion, do your best to have a look at that product. I have the whole front end from the windshield forward covered plus the rear bumper. Probably getting the doors done now after reading the scumbag thread.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Cruisin'

The tech package is awesome. I'm a tech at the Acura dealership in Reno, NV, and I have a 2011 TSX tech. I think it's worth the extra 3 grand. the navi screen is updated like the one in the MDX and the TL. The glare issues are practically gone. Some things on the tech package may seem like a waste of money, but eventually you will use it. Long trips are cool, since it will show you where there is fast food, gas, etc.. The Hands Free Link system works a lot better in the tech as well, since you can import your phone book into the navi unit and see your contacts on the screen.
Sorry for the rant, but well worth the money!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Also, get a clear bra ASAP. it takes about 100 miles for little rock chips to show up on the front bumper, and especially the grill area. That's also expensive, but they can always roll it into your payments. It would be like $9 more a month. Well worth it.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

The stock speakers are pretty good, but there is a big difference with the ELS. wattage goes up, bigger tweeters and door speakers. And Acura really stands by their sounds system. Once in a while, we will get people coming in with blown door speakers from having them loud enough to make a normal person go deaf. They will always replace them under warranty, no questions.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Tech Package is great, I got it on my wagon, and can't imagine not having it. The voice command stuff takes time to figure out and train yourself to know what to say, but when you do, it works well.

The Wagon's tech package comes with the lift gate, which was a major selling point to my wife and I. The only thing I wish it came with was a remote start (our Mazda CX-7 has it, and it's very convinient to cool down the car a bit, and in the mornings when you start the car up for the first time).

Bluetooth streaming audio from my phone works decently, but playing music from my ipod work even better as someone previously stated, it will read your ipod and give you access to your playlists, and allow you to search for songs or artist by voice.

Backup camera is very helpful too, and it looks decently clear on the higher res screen.

The crappy part is we don't have XM radio signal here in Hawaii, so I lose out on the weather and traffic feature of my Navigation system (I think we should get some kinda refund for that!)... I think I also don't get Acuralink for appointment and service info... So sucks to get an Acura in Hawaii...

I haven't really noticed the GPS temperature control thing...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Speed2000
Tech package well worth it. First new car I ever bought was a 94 Accord. Figuring I'd keep it a good long time, I ponied up for the loaded EX with leather. My daughter has it with almost 300k on it now.

If rock chips bother you then get the clear bra. Avery Dennison has a film called Nano Fusion, do your best to have a look at that product. I have the whole front end from the windshield forward covered plus the rear bumper. Probably getting the doors done now after reading the scumbag thread.
How long have you had the Avery Dennison Nano Fusion on your car? and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

I read up on both products and it seems like people prefer 3M because it has been around longer and thus more tested per se. I'll probably decide later down the road but thanks for the options

Originally Posted by leftyskikass555
Also, get a clear bra ASAP. it takes about 100 miles for little rock chips to show up on the front bumper, and especially the grill area. That's also expensive, but they can always roll it into your payments. It would be like $9 more a month. Well worth it.
is the clear bra you are referring to the one from Acura or 3M?
And yes, I plan to get a clear bra with much haste after I purchase the car. Plan is to call up installers listed on either the 3M or ADNF site whenever I seal the deal with the car purchase.

and a side note, thank you all for helping me out with your replies. Much appreciated. Sure is nice to know that if I go with the TSX, there is a helpful community here.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

Does the weather and traffic update only work if you are subscribed to XM radio?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Wow, this thread is awesome!

Lets face it, 2009 was the introduction of the 2nd gen TSX, that technology has already been obsolete for two years now.
If you plan to keep the car for 10+ years, its a good idea to get the Tech package for re-sale value. You can even add a computer to the navi to keep it up-to date with the current times.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Cruisin'

what do you mean by add a computer to the navi?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes. When I bought my car, I was going to go for the base but the way the dashboard was designed, it was made to have a nav. I felt like without it, it was missing something
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
The 2011 Tech screen is a major improvement over the 09/10. Like kowloon stated above, the centre dash space scream for a Navi screen.

Once you are used to the back up camera, you wonder how you live without one all these years. The ELS sound system is a major improvement over other Honda offerings, go for a test drive and listen to it.

With a built-in Navi, you never have to fumble/hassle try to put away a portable GPS every time you park your car. An 8" navi beats the 4.3" any day.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Intermediate

I have the tech package. Here are my thoughts along with some questions for you.

1. The ELS sound system is supposedly one of the best (if not the best) OEM sound systems available from what I've read. Can you or your passengers appreciate the difference?
2. The navigation system is supposedly one of the best OEM nav systems available. Will you be using it much? It's one of those things that you'll use if you have it - how convenient is it to search by telephone number then have a route to where you want to go? Very convenient. You might not think you need it, but you will use it if you have it.
3. The back up camera is very helpful - again, you might not appreciate it until you've used one. Now that I have one, it's hard to imagine going to a car that doesn't have one in the future. Do you have kids or have kids around your car? Then the back up camera provides extra peace of mind when backing out of your driveway.
4. The TSX is already a great bargain, even with or especially with the tech package. No other entry-level sport-luxury sedan comes close (Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes), so even if you splurge on the tech package, you're still getting a great bargain.

Ultimately it boils down to how much money you have to spend and whether you think it's worth the price.

Good luck - I don't think you'll make a bad choice either way.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You will really appreciate the built-in navigation system and the larger display the for your music (plus other stuff). Definitely worth the 3k!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbrown
what do you mean by add a computer to the navi?
you can do a carpc.
this will keep your car tech current.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobbrown
How long have you had the Avery Dennison Nano Fusion on your car? and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

I read up on both products and it seems like people prefer 3M because it has been around longer and thus more tested per se. I'll probably decide later down the road but thanks for the options
I bought the car on Memorial Day and put film on it that evening. The Nano film was on my previous car since it was introduced a couple years back. All of my cars have been covered with one brand or another for the last eleven years. To be honest, its what I do for a living but I'm not posting this to get a few customers, I'm too dang busy as it is and don't want to hyjack the thread.

The Nano film is the best product for daily drivers I've come across, and its available in 48 inch widths which means the TSX hood can be covered in a single piece. It acts as a sacrifical lamb for your paint and is designed to be removed without hurting factory paint if damaged.

This customer hit a stone wall and I was sure it needed to go to the body shop first.

Once we removed the film however, the only damage was near the fog light where the bumper was mashed in yet the paint was still perfect.

Expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $1000 or more
depending on how much film you are getting and the skill and location of the installer. Prices also vary on brand used. I could by a roll for of cheap film for half what a good quality product costs but its like painting your house. You can buy 2 year paint or 20 year paint, but the painter is going to charge the same for the labor.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
I'm with everyone else on the tech package being worth it. When I was car shopping I thought, "I don't need navi...I have my garmin. I don't need back up camera, I can see fine" but then my friend got his Lexus before me fully loaded and he told me "why go luxury if you're not gonna get all the bells and whistles" especially since I had told him I plan to drive the car till it falls apart and so I started looking for a used TSX with tech. Gotta say, love the tech package and yea I definitely won't be going for anything less if I ever get a new car. Sound is great and navigating the iPod audio menu is so easy with the big screen to view everything from. Back up camera...man has it helped with tight spots and if you live in NYC and park in the city at all, you'll need all the help you can get trying to fit into a spot.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SF Acura TSX
I have the tech package. Here are my thoughts along with some questions for you.

1. The ELS sound system is supposedly one of the best (if not the best) OEM sound systems available from what I've read. Can you or your passengers appreciate the difference?
2. The navigation system is supposedly one of the best OEM nav systems available. Will you be using it much? It's one of those things that you'll use if you have it - how convenient is it to search by telephone number then have a route to where you want to go? Very convenient. You might not think you need it, but you will use it if you have it.
3. The back up camera is very helpful - again, you might not appreciate it until you've used one. Now that I have one, it's hard to imagine going to a car that doesn't have one in the future. Do you have kids or have kids around your car? Then the back up camera provides extra peace of mind when backing out of your driveway.
4. The TSX is already a great bargain, even with or especially with the tech package. No other entry-level sport-luxury sedan comes close (Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes), so even if you splurge on the tech package, you're still getting a great bargain.

Ultimately it boils down to how much money you have to spend and whether you think it's worth the price.

Good luck - I don't think you'll make a bad choice either way.
1. I haven't tested both systems out in person, but I like to think that I will be able to tell a difference. I am a bit of an audiophile myself. As for my passengers, they will listen to whatever I play and like it because no one touches the radio/music in my car but me :p

2. I don't think I will be using the navi much unless I am out of town.

3. I do love the backup camera. There are kids around where I live but I would use it more due to the fact that people here like to park really really close bumper to bumper.

4. If I can get a TSX with tech for the invoice price of 30,477, then for sure I will get the tech.
Originally Posted by Speed2000
Expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $1000 or more
depending on how much film you are getting and the skill and location of the installer. Prices also vary on brand used. I could by a roll for of cheap film for half what a good quality product costs but its like painting your house. You can buy 2 year paint or 20 year paint, but the painter is going to charge the same for the labor.
So are you saying that the NanoFilm is a cheap film? I'm confused. How long would it be able to stay on before changing it?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You should def be able to get the price below 30k (maybe not OTD).

And I don't know if the base has this ability, but the Bluetooth audio rocks my pants off.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, the base car lets you do Bluetooth Audio That's one of the main things I look for in a new car. The tech package has that 15gb hdd but to be honest that will most likely not get used since you need actual CDs to rip to it........compared to the 32gb SD Card in my phone I can fill with music to stream.

The dealership near me is asking about $33,5xx for the car with tech......so yeah, for sure it will be a grueling process to get it below 30k.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Nano film is the most expensive. Most film will last at least five years with no problems, garage queens maybe ten, moms minivan, maybe three. It all depends on how well the exterior is maintained.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

what about 3M?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I mean I never use my GPS that much since I just use my phone's Google Map Navigation. I like my street view lol. But it's nice to have there. I love my back up camera. Makes life easier. Especially when parallel parking in those tight spaces.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

crap! Just tested a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited today and well.......its $24,000.......so thats about $9000 less MSRP compared to the TSX and it has heated rear seats but no power seat adjustments in the front. Everything else is the same in terms of luxury options offerings.

:/

Quick Reply: Is the Technology Package worth it?