Tech package owners - question about "car talking"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech package owners - question about "car talking"

I was all set to pull the trigger when I read the USA Today review where he indicated the car "talks to you", OTHER THAN NAVIGATION functions. Things like "a door is ajar" and telling you what radio station you have selected. This would drive me insane. Can it be turned off, and still get navigation prompts?

I downloaded the owners and navigation manuals from Acura (sorry to whoever's VIN I registered with! Silly they make you put that in and you can just get one off a dealer site). There seems to be zero reference I can find to what things the car will "speak at you".

Many thanks for the help!

Paul
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by paulct
I was all set to pull the trigger when I read the USA Today review where he indicated the car "talks to you", OTHER THAN NAVIGATION functions. Things like "a door is ajar" and telling you what radio station you have selected. This would drive me insane. Can it be turned off, and still get navigation prompts?

I downloaded the owners and navigation manuals from Acura (sorry to whoever's VIN I registered with! Silly they make you put that in and you can just get one off a dealer site). There seems to be zero reference I can find to what things the car will "speak at you".

Many thanks for the help!

Paul

Paul.

i hope you didnt register my VIN #... haha. Yeah the voice on the navi that gives you directions is somewhat annoying. There is a setting where you can adjust the volume of the voice or turn it all the way off. Initially the voice was set kinda loud and it would talk over my music, so i just turned it down to the minimum. Hope that answers your question.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, but my question was more about non navigation voice things! Does it say your door is open and silly things like that? Does it announce the radio station as you are skipping through your presets? Paul
Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Racer

It annoyed me too and i was able to turn it off.. not sure how though. lol. However, my navi still talks to me, which I want it to. There's a setting in there somewhere to turn it off like "voice feedback" or something like that.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks! As long as there is a way, I am sure I can find it! Now to find a 6-speed tech package..and sell my CTS...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Racer

Thanks, but my question was more about non navigation voice things! Does it say your door is open and silly things like that? Does it announce the radio station as you are skipping through your presets? Paul

oh but it is annoying when they keep reminding me to put my seat belt back on when i take it off right before i park in my garage... maybe i need to get used to it, or figure out a way to turn it off? I thought the voice feedback was only for the Navi, but i'll test it later tonight.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ill45
oh but it is annoying when they keep reminding me to put my seat belt back on when i take it off right before i park in my garage... maybe i need to get used to it, or figure out a way to turn it off? I thought the voice feedback was only for the Navi, but i'll test it later tonight.
It actually tells you to "fasten your seatbelt"? lol
Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I can fix that.....turn off the car, THEN unbuckle your seatbelt.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I can fix that.....turn off the car, THEN unbuckle your seatbelt.
haha. That would def. fix it. Sometimes you cant do anything about it if your dropping off a passenger and they take their seat belt off before the car comes to a complete stop.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Ill, please do let us know if you found how to turn it off. I can't buy the car if it says stupid stuff like that, but I need NAV and want it built in. Talking cars went out of fashion in the 80's with the K-Car for goodness sake, what in the world were they thinking?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
haha. That would def. fix it. Sometimes you cant do anything about it if your dropping off a passenger and they take their seat belt off before the car comes to a complete stop.
Maybe it would be more fun if they injected some humor! [bing: cue female voice]"Please keep your hands inside the vehicle. Please keep your seatbelts fastened until the ride comes to a complete stop [/bing]
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you can turn off the seatbelt reminder. It will speak to you in even the base (non-tech TSXs) I believe. It will also remind you to close doors and such. The safety features with voice reminders are not exclusive to the tech package TSXs at all.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Instructor

We married men will be able to ignore the car's nagging female voice with no problems. That comes standard after a few years of marriage.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Wish they'd bring back the male "nagging" voice.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Solved it. I took a test drive today and found a setting that disabled the "vehicle prompts" or some such thing, but still lets the NAV talk.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Racer

Solved it. I took a test drive today and found a setting that disabled the "vehicle prompts" or some such thing, but still lets the NAV talk.

i havent researched the manual yet, but how did you or where is this setting option at?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

where exactly is this setting? Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Advanced

TSB notice 2030 "Car refuses to open door"

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: Where the hell'd you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the doors.
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 26Shaun
I don't think you can turn off the seatbelt reminder. It will speak to you in even the base (non-tech TSXs) I believe. It will also remind you to close doors and such. The safety features with voice reminders are not exclusive to the tech package TSXs at all.
The base models do not have voice reminders. They only talk when using the handsfree link functions.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
The option you want to shut off is "interface dial feedback". Essentially when the car is in drive anytime you make an adjustment with the interface dial (big enter knob) the car tells you what your current selection would be if you pushed the button in. It is extremely annoying to most people.

Settings>Interface dial feedback>off

In regards to the seatbelt warning, it used to give up after 10 miles. if it still does.