To Tech or not to Tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
To Tech or not to Tech

We'll I sold my 07 Trailblazer SS after 5 fun years and have chosen the TSX Wagon as our next family cruiser narrowingly edging out the Subaru Outback. My question is, should I spend the extra dough and pony up for the Tech Package. I have my phone and portable GPS to use if needed and I am a talk radio/am radio listener. And if I do listen to music, its usually with my 3-year old listenting to his CDs. Everyone says to go for it but we are currently undecided. Is the interior significantly different from one another? All the pics I've seen are w/ the Tech Package. My closest dealer (2 miles away ) doesn't a TSX w/out the Tech for me to check out. Anyway, this will happen within the next 3 weeks so the search for the best deal has begun.
thanks in advance folks,
Ben

**any interior pics of tech vs non-tech would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Based on the requirements you list I would say Tech could be optional for you, but there are some features that you might be pleasantly surprised with:

1. Back up camera: priceless for getting into tight parking spots. Also, you have a 3 year-old, the camera would pay for itself if it prevented an accident.

2. Built-in GPS IMHO is a lot easier to use than phone GPS. If you're planning ahead and punch in your destination ahead of time, then phone GPS works great. But for spur of the moment stuff, you can actually talk to your car and say "find nearest korean restaurant" (I did this tonight, worked great).

In terms of the seats and what-not, the interiors are identical. Only the center console is slightly different. I think that's one of the reasons the TSX is so popular, because of all the standard features you get, even on the base model.

One last thing to know is that apparently the 2012 models do not come with a spare tire. If it's important to you, perhaps looking for one of the remaining 2011s might be a better idea.

Good hunting to you, and do keep us updated!
The following users liked this post:
gonzo08452 (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Tech. No doubt. It shouldn't even be a dilemma. Tech all day, everyday.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
^ or, what he said!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
^ or, what he said!
Thanks

I guess there's a reason who most dlrs don't even have non-tech wagons around. One dealer 15miles away has 14 wagons in stock all w/ tech
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The tech wagon also has a motorized rear hatch. I've had cars in the past with motorized trunks and always felt that feature was kind of "ehhh" but I've found the motorized hatch to be very helpful.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One last thing to know is that apparently the 2012 models do not come with a spare tire. If it's important to you, perhaps looking for one of the remaining 2011s might be a better idea.
I test drove a 2012 with Tech sedan and it did have a spare tire. Wasn't full size, but wasn't a donut either
Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I didn't get tech, and I've been fine. I use my phone for gps when I need it. There is also an option to upgrade to a system that has gps and backup camera for around $600ish that I'm probably going to get in the next year or so. tobwac recently got it and is happy with it: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...792220&page=12
Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
the 2012 sedans have a spare...the wagons do not.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrstak
the 2012 sedans have a spare...the wagons do not.

i'd probably have no choice but to p'up a spare on lug it w/ us on road trips
Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Pro

btw, I know I'm a very new member but why can't I EDIT for typos/spelling?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzo08452
btw, I know I'm a very new member but why can't I EDIT for typos/spelling?
It has nothing to do with seniority. It's just the failed system implemented in this forum. Sucks, but just go with it, or double-triple post and have a mod worry about it.

p.s. go with tech!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just could not see spending close to $4k for the tech. I have a GPS, listen mostly to NPR and bought a 15GB USB drive for peanuts. The rear view camera is nice but not a big deal. Auto hatch? Not sure why I need that.

Without the tech you even get an extra storage compartment where the built in hard drive would have been.

The LCD display is pretty low tech but you quickly get used to it.

Tim
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Honestly, most of the features that normally come with a "Primo Supremo" package from any other auto manufacturer are standard on the TSX - xenon, heated leather seats, bluetooth, etc.

If you're not concerned with GPS, as Mr.O has mentioned the voice controls are great and go beyond the GPS interface. A lot of the car's controls can also be voice operated with tech. A few personal favorites of mine are "Set temperature to XX degrees" and "Volume up/down" "Radio Preset X"

Oh, and yes there's nothing wrong with my hands it's just things you have to operate with your hands are babies' toys. (BTFII FTW)
(Yes, I know you have to press a button first - stupid babies' toy.)

Plus, with tech you get the upgraded sound system which has been praised by self-described audiophiles. I am a self-described audiomoron and all I know is it sounds great!

PS - You have the ability to edit for 15 minutes after you post. I was taught that at some point.

Last edited by On The Run; 05-11-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: To show you can edit.
The following 2 users liked this post by On The Run:
gonzo08452 (05-11-2012), K100Fran (05-16-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mcteague
I just could not see spending close to $4k for the tech. I have a GPS, listen mostly to NPR and bought a 15GB USB drive for peanuts. The rear view camera is nice but not a big deal. Auto hatch? Not sure why I need that.

Without the tech you even get an extra storage compartment where the built in hard drive would have been.

The LCD display is pretty low tech but you quickly get used to it.

Tim

I feel the same way but the Tech so so nice and they are a dime a dozen. Most dealers around my neck of the woods don't even stock the non-Tech wagons.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got a non-tech TSX. I didn't want to spend the extra $3300 on the navigation system. I do wish I had the ability to see the entire title of songs on the RDS system, and that I could download my phone book into the HFL. Other than those 2 features, I don't miss the Tech option.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on the requirements you list I would say Tech could be optional for you, but there are some features that you might be pleasantly surprised with:

1. Back up camera: priceless for getting into tight parking spots. Also, you have a 3 year-old, the camera would pay for itself if it prevented an accident.

2. Built-in GPS IMHO is a lot easier to use than phone GPS. If you're planning ahead and punch in your destination ahead of time, then phone GPS works great. But for spur of the moment stuff, you can actually talk to your car and say "find nearest korean restaurant" (I did this tonight, worked great).

In terms of the seats and what-not, the interiors are identical. Only the center console is slightly different. I think that's one of the reasons the TSX is so popular, because of all the standard features you get, even on the base model.

Good hunting to you, and do keep us updated!
1) even if you have a 3 year old, there's no way he/she is going to be playing around on or around your driveway.

2) i would probably disagree with this IF you have an iPhone or an Android that supports google voice search. it works very similarly to Siri. i would much rather use Swype or text to speech on my phone rather than in the car where the mic picks up all that ambient noise and misunderstands you constantly.

if you can get the tech package for something like $1,500-1,700 more or something (basically the invoice cost minus a few bucks), then it might be worth it, but otherwise, it seems like a waste of money unless you really put a premium on having a nav screen in the car.

another thing about the nav screen - it definitely reflects sunlight (or any light) when the moonroof is open. that alone is a dealbreaker for me, and i can't believe Honda let that design flaw sneak through. i seriously have to cock my head far to either side to avoid sun glare or even cloudy day glare when the moonroof is open. just something to think about. when you test drive, see if the angle bothers you.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
1) even if you have a 3 year old, there's no way he/she is going to be playing around on or around your driveway.

2) i would probably disagree with this IF you have an iPhone or an Android that supports google voice search. it works very similarly to Siri. i would much rather use Swype or text to speech on my phone rather than in the car where the mic picks up all that ambient noise and misunderstands you constantly.

if you can get the tech package for something like $1,500-1,700 more or something (basically the invoice cost minus a few bucks), then it might be worth it, but otherwise, it seems like a waste of money unless you really put a premium on having a nav screen in the car.

another thing about the nav screen - it definitely reflects sunlight (or any light) when the moonroof is open. that alone is a dealbreaker for me, and i can't believe Honda let that design flaw sneak through. i seriously have to cock my head far to either side to avoid sun glare or even cloudy day glare when the moonroof is open. just something to think about. when you test drive, see if the angle bothers you.
How about the neighbor's 3 year old? Or that tricycle left behind the car.

Watch for backup cameras to become required by law shortly.
GrigioTSX10 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
That law was passed and then pushed back i think (?)

but the man is right within a few years all new cars will have mandatory backup cams
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2012 SE, so I obviously don't have Tech. Regarding its features:
1. I don't care about a backup camera. My head swivels. Best backup camera ever. Plus, your field of view is much better than that of a camera, and you can see other things that the camera wouldn't, like that jerk who's coming down the parking lane and not watching out for you. If you really need aid when backing up, you can always get the sensors for a fraction of the price.
2. I use my phone for GPS. It's got voice commands, I don't really have to touch it, it speaks street names and directions, and it's constantly updated... I don't have to pay $100 every year to get useless updates. Plus, it's fully customizable, and I always have it on me. And it can get me a LOT more information about a POI.
3. I don't care about voice commands for climate control functions. That's a "set it and forget it" system. As far as I'm concerned, that's a novelty.
4. I don't care about GPS linked climate control functions, either.
5. I'm sure the audio system in the Tech is fantastic, but the standard one is no slouch, either. Sounds great to me. I see more problems reported with the ELS system, too.

Now, all that said, I will say that Tech package cars hold a higher value, if that matters to you. That's also why it's hard for you to find a non-Tech car: dealers make more money on the Tech package. I will also say that, while I don't hate the standard display in the non-Tech cars, I'd really prefer for that big display to be rich and colorful, and give me a bit more information. I do wish there was a way to swap in the Tech screen, without the rest of the Tech package, and have it work right for display purposes.

As far as the screen getting washed out when the moonroof is open: that's something I've noticed on mine, too, so it's going to happen regardless of whether or not you have Tech. That's a PITA on sunny days.

If I had the choice, I don't know that I would've paid extra for the Tech package on my car. I've opted out of similar packages on other cars, so I imagine I would've opted out of it here, too. It provides some nice bells and whistles, but the standard car is, by no means, lacking with features, and I'm happy having not spent extra money for stuff I'd never really use, anyway. I certainly don't fault anyone for springing for it, though.
gonzo08452 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
i have my wagon since 2/27 this year. I came from an SUV that was nicely equipped but i found over time I added the things I missed from the factory like nav so

wait for it

a little more

I WENT WITH TECH.

Am very happy with the power hatch. the sound system. the nav and voice is awesome.

but as others said you can do without some of it.

but for resale IMO its better to have options.

I am working on trying to retrofit a spare and stuff into the rear.

I will post up when i have the parts figured out.

I also need to find a wrecked wagon LOL to get the stuff cheap.

get the tech/ over 60 months it like 50 bux per FTMFW
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
I have an '09 Tech and while that does need to be taken into consideration because of the older looking screen and what not, I have mixed feelings about the Tech. If I had to make a decision today? Well, I am not 100% sure I would do it again. Here are my thoughts, both good and bad:
  • I never use the voice commands, pretty much forget that they are there and the few times I made it a point to use them, I just thought, "Eh, okay. Neat I guess, but I don't NEED it." Also, let's face it, I can do the silly crap myself far quicker than the machine seems to (e.g. climate control, radio on/off). Plus, I am a bit of a hands on/control freak with machinery anyway. ;-)
  • The ELS system is nice but I do notice a few flaws with it (not to mention I have had to have 6 speakers replaced).
  • I know Honda/Acura Navis get good reviews in the automotive world, but I have actually found it to be very user unfriendly in many ways, and it being so outdated has been a problem for me a few times recently (thankfully, my phone saved the day). The updates are costly, and not worth it for what you get IMO. Recently I did a comparison test, and I was able to find things on my phone, input addresses, etc., way quicker and way more accurately than with the Navi.
  • The backup camera is awesome and has come in handy so many times!
  • The bigger, more detailed screen is very nice and the small touches like the XM Note feature is something I have really grown to love.
  • I like the layout/dash of the Tech far better than the Base

I am looking forward to the days when Acura makes the Navi pretty much a standalone option...I would want and probably buy everything BUT the Navi if I could. It does seem as if they are heading this direction with the packages you see on the new ILX.
Slade037 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Pro

All valid points and many thanks It is looking more and more like it will be a silver wagon w/ tech. All the non-tech wagons I've seen are black. Having just owned a black on black SS Trailblazer, no more dark/black cars for us. That being said, do you folks think I have a greater negotiating power by going with the tech? Any sales person/sales managers are welcome to chime in
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Pro

BTW, I think Acura should offer a SE wagon
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
oh yeah and no offense but we get this question like every other month, if you wanna do a search you can dig up probably half a dozen people atleast asking the same question

"is tech package worth it"

"tech vs no tech"

"anyone regret not getting tech package"

most of us on here already have our cars, and whether we like it or not most of us have an unspoken bias towards what we are driving

"i dont use the tech features so i didnt get it"

"tech is fantastic and worth it"

"i can buy a garmin and dont need a backup camera"

"tech really impresses my passengers and i like the [feature]"
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I did not get the tech package, largely because I have no interest in the navigation system, so I would have been paying three grand essentially for the stereo. But now, I wish I had gone with the tech package, because I have come to dislike the base stereo (I am a musician and something of an audiophile) and the backup camera would be great in my crowded city neighborhood. I definitely want that feature on my next car.

From what you have described, it seems to me you don't really need the tech package, but if the cost is not an obstacle you may as well go for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
He was speeding, Rusty!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As KillerG pointed out this does get kicked around a lot, it's a personal choice and the value derived varies from person to person.

If your dealer has 14 tech wagons, chances are they are more likely to negotiate a tech wagon price than getiing a non-tech from another dealer.

I went with tech and am glad I did. I use the hatch release constantly and press the button so it closes by itself, do I have to - no, but I like it. I also like the camera, the GPS, the ELS...it was worth it for me.
v/r
Fran
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Pro

We've decided to go w/ the tech. Although we don't really need it, it sounds like a great/fun luxury to have. We have a meeting w/ the dlr on Monday. Wish me luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Pro

Hold on. I know I said I'd go tech but decided to opt for a non-tech glm wagon. Its at the port and will be here Teusday. Got it for $29,900+ttl. Good deal?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
The Tech option is one of those things you can easily live without but if you ever have had those options you'll discover you can't live without them ever again. It's an 'ignorance is bliss' sort of thing.

I had keyless on my last car and it's something I miss all the time in the TSX tech wagon.

Also the ELS sound system really sets this car apart even from higher end cars. Edmunds did a test and it came in as a better system than the Bowers & Wilkins on the Jaguars and the Mark Levinson in the Lexus. Elliot Scheiner (E.L.S.) is a highly respected audio engineer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot_Scheiner) and he did a great job with Panasonic to build the system for Acura.

imho, without the tech package the car becomes more of a basic Honda (although the TSX Sport Wagon is the Honda Tourer in the UK and Europe.) Plus when it comes to resale, the tech package will be more sought after by potential buyers. $3k isn't really a lot. You can spend that on coffee in little over a year.