Something came in the mail.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts
Something came in the mail.......

Pardon the crappy cell phone pics. I rushed home at lunch when the wifey said they came in. I will post more pics once I get it installed. They are Drag DR34's, with Hankook iCepts. What's bothersome to me tho, is that they are perfect new rims.... but will look like $hit after only 1 winter. I am tempted to have them remounted and rebalanced (yes it will cost me money), and have the OEM rims with snow tires, then the Drags for summer.

What say you?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey man. Protect your invesment. We all want to use what our money bought us but said it yourself. One winter and they'll be trash. Don't trash 'em. They look real nice too. Congrats!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Pro

Here's another pic..... I just laid 2 rims on one side of the car, to get an idea of how they will look. Man, I want to put them on NOW...lol. But no winter yet.

Originally Posted by Tannis
Hey man. Protect your invesment. We all want to use what our money bought us but said it yourself. One winter and they'll be trash. Don't trash 'em. They look real nice too. Congrats!

I know, right? I dunno... I mean they weren't uber expensive rims, but still, a shame to get them all trashed. If I do get them swapped over tho, which means, I have to remove the snow tires from the Drags, remove the OEM tires from the OEM rims, and remount on opposite. Not only will it be around 200 bucks, but I will risk the shop people scratching all 8 rims, as they remove and remount the tires.

Anyone know how easy it is for shops to scratch the rims? I guess I have never had to have a shop remove and remount a tire.

thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
no matter...winter/ summer ....

get some good sealant on them. i like the poorboys. i put about 5 nice coats on all my NEW wheels.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
those drags would be a lot cheaper to replace than the oems.
id keep them the way you have it.

oh yea and def put a few coats of poorboys sealant on them.
that stuff is amazing
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I love your garage
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
love the rims.... Yeah go with winter setup on the OEM wheels and put those on in the summer if you can wait lolz

Also I say rock'em without the center caps and specs of tires looks beefy??
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
lol i know how you feel! when i got my wheels i was like staring at them impatiently.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
17's?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BobbyC
those drags would be a lot cheaper to replace than the oems.
id keep them the way you have it.

oh yea and def put a few coats of poorboys sealant on them.
that stuff is amazing
That is what I am thinking. The SE oems are hot as well. So I am ok with having them as summers. The new rims are cheaper than the oems for sure.

Originally Posted by musty hustla
I love your garage
Lol, thanks! It's a bit messy right now. I need to get it cleaned up before winter. I need to put away all my detailing stuff.

Originally Posted by apinwp09GBTSX
love the rims.... Yeah go with winter setup on the OEM wheels and put those on in the summer if you can wait lolz

Also I say rock'em without the center caps and specs of tires looks beefy??
Hmmm good point. I am not even sure how to remove those caps. I haven't looked into it well yet. Do they just pop off? Having them off would allow me to keep them looking good too. I just hope that going capless won't make them look cheap.

Originally Posted by SlickxAc
lol i know how you feel! when i got my wheels i was like staring at them impatiently.
Yep... Am debating when to put them on. Lol

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
17's?
Yes sir, just like Oem. 225 50 17s
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
You should Opti-Guard them. It's basically a permanent, protective coating. It should do the job from protecting them from brake dust, salt, dirt, etc...

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JayJayPG
You should Opti-Guard them. It's basically a permanent, protective coating. It should do the job from protecting them from brake dust, salt, dirt, etc...

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html
Yep I am an avid detailer, and know all about opti stuff...but thank you for reminding me. That's a great idea actually. I will Opticoat it before putting them on!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
exciting!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
nice!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
Best photo shop i've ever seen
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I bought a set of TSW Mugellos with Michelin Super Sports for summer and plan to use the stock rims and tires for winter. Once the stock tires wear out, I'll put snows on the stock rims. I've always used the custom rims for summer and stockers for winter but that's just me...

By the way, just how many spacers do you have on those rims, they seem to stick out a bit far...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

hmm why did you decide to get 17's? most people here usually get bigger wheels.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ttk5
exciting!
Originally Posted by ed_423
nice!
Thx guys

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
Best photo shop i've ever seen
Haha indeed. It took me all of 10 seconds to stand each one next to it

Originally Posted by Mr. TTL
I bought a set of TSW Mugellos with Michelin Super Sports for summer and plan to use the stock rims and tires for winter. Once the stock tires wear out, I'll put snows on the stock rims. I've always used the custom rims for summer and stockers for winter but that's just me...

By the way, just how many spacers do you have on those rims, they seem to stick out a bit far...
Hahaha... All spacers baby...

hmm why did you decide to get 17's? most people here usually get bigger wheels.
Because they were meant for winter duty. No need to get 18s for that. When I get a new summer setup, maybe.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Pro

Since I just got my winter rims last week, I am debating when to mount them. I can't wait to see them on. Anyways, I thought I would use this weekend to opticoat my rims before I put them on. I will be doing this on all my rims, but I thought I would try them with the winter set.

I cleaned it off with Power Clean, rinsed, dried... then just went to town. About 4 drops to prime the applicator, then a couple drops or so, per side, per rim. Easy peasy. Hardly any high spots that I could see. I did all 4 in about 15 minutes. I hope this will last all winter and beyond, and help reduce the chances of brake dust and crud sticking and oxidizing.

Anyone have any experiences they want to share on OC 2.0 and rims?

p.s. I was thinking about putting Opticoat on my clear bra.... hmmmmmm anyone done that before?

ALL DONE!!!

Last edited by Integra2TSX; 10-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i hope you will report back and let us know how it works
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
holy shit dude, those tires are beefy.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ed_423
i hope you will report back and let us know how it works
Yes sir.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
holy shit dude, those tires are beefy.
Yeah these hankooks got really good reviews.... I can't wait to try them on...
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

your wheels look very similar to mine xD
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
let me know how the hankooks hold up after winter. i got the blizzaks ws70 i think. people rave about them including one of my good buddies who had a previous model of blizzaks.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Pro

your wheels look very similar to mine xD
They look really good with our tsxs, don't they? I love them, not even mounted on car yet lol.

Originally Posted by mrstak
let me know how the hankooks hold up after winter. i got the blizzaks ws70 i think. people rave about them including one of my good buddies who had a previous model of blizzaks.
Yes sir, I have the blizzak ws70s too on our minivan, going on third winter now. They work wonderful. Thought I'd try something new. Folks who have these iCepts say they are as good if not better than blizzaks. We'll see.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you have Opti-Guard on the body of your car? I'm curious to know how difficult it is to apply. I've never used it personally, but they rave about it on Autopia.org so I've always wanted to try it on my RSX after doing a full correction. I'm kind of nervous applying anything "permanent"
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

yea im kinda curious too. ive always wanted to try opti-coat
Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JayJayPG
Do you have Opti-Guard on the body of your car? I'm curious to know how difficult it is to apply. I've never used it personally, but they rave about it on Autopia.org so I've always wanted to try it on my RSX after doing a full correction. I'm kind of nervous applying anything "permanent"
Before I go on, let me stress that I am a Car Detailing JUNKIE. So Opticoat for me is something I want to use only on my old daily drivers or on parts of the car that I don't really care about adding "Depth". Opticoat is permanent, and is not a deep and wet looking as a Nuba or good sealant. But it's permanent and will repel anything. So you can't wax it. So you can see why for people like me, I don't want to go crazy on it and use it on my toy cars...but for old dailies, sure.

With that, Tori has Opticoat (OC) on the rims, chrome, plastic trim, lower rocker panels, etc... anywhere that will get pummeled in winter with brake dust oxidation, specks, etc....

Here's a write up I did on Autogeek a year and a half ago, when I applied it on my Civic:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...questions.html

yea im kinda curious too. ive always wanted to try opti-coat
It's a great product...a little finnicky, but not too bad. Again, great for people who don't WANT to detail
Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

well im curious to how long it lasts. im very wary of permanent sealants..
its not TOO pricey compared to the simoniz crap the dealer tries to sell you but for $60 a tube, that thing better last at least a year.

is it easy to apply?
did you clean with a alcohol solution before applying?

ive read that you could add a sealant on top of it to get a glossier look..
have you tried that?

i recently started using poorboys ex-p and that stuff makes my car look like a mirror!
LOVE it.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Integra2TSX
They look really good with our tsxs, don't they? I love them, not even mounted on car yet lol.

Yes sir, I have the blizzak ws70s too on our minivan, going on third winter now. They work wonderful. Thought I'd try something new. Folks who have these iCepts say they are as good if not better than blizzaks. We'll see.
can't wait to see them mounted on your car !

your like one of the only others tsx's around here other then me with a wing spoiler xD.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think your winter wheels are better than the stock ones. Good looking wheels to go on that sharp car of yours.

your like one of the only others tsx's around here other then me with a wing spoiler xD.
I rock the wing spoiler too. I think it actually makes us different than most on here as well as all the TSXs I see in real life. And my color makes mine just that much more rare. (offered one year in 09 as far as the 2nd gens go)
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Pro

well im curious to how long it lasts. im very wary of permanent sealants..
its not TOO pricey compared to the simoniz crap the dealer tries to sell you but for $60 a tube, that thing better last at least a year.

is it easy to apply?
did you clean with a alcohol solution before applying?

ive read that you could add a sealant on top of it to get a glossier look..
have you tried that?

i recently started using poorboys ex-p and that stuff makes my car look like a mirror!
LOVE it.
It's a little finicky... Depends on the temp and humidity at the time you're doing it. When I did it, it flashed FAST. Within 30 seconds, I had to make sure I smoothed out the high spots with an mf towel or applicator. Other than that it was fine. If you left out a high spot, you can always buff it out with a da.

And yes, have to clean the surface good before applying... Need to remove ALL LSPs from it. Make sure it doesn't bead, then you're good.

can't wait to see them mounted on your car !

Thanks bro. Yah I want to mount them all on NOW, but it just reached 65 today, and sunny...wtf. So mounting it on would degrade the life, but maybe not too bad. I might do it later this week.

And the spoiler is a must on the SE, particularly. I had to have it. You love yours too?

Originally Posted by 09TSXer
I think your winter wheels are better than the stock ones. Good looking wheels to go on that sharp car of yours.

I rock the wing spoiler too. I think it actually makes us different than most on here as well as all the TSXs I see in real life. And my color makes mine just that much more rare. (offered one year in 09 as far as the 2nd gens go)
Thank you sir. I love these rims.... They're not too expensive either, so I don't mind having them as winter wheels. Now if I had volks or something, for sure not in winter.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

im have a NE lol, but yeah its cool to have the wing. people that know automatically know when its my car cuz of the wing, color, and wheels/stance of my car. are you going to lower your car at all with those wheels?